Getting the spins

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Getting the spins

Post by mister d »

Yeah, I read that first part like "holy shit" but I also realize some people can joke like that and come off as cordial (BSF it seems) and some people can joke like that and sound like huge dicks (me). Its a gift.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

mister d wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:21 am Yeah, I read that first part like "holy shit" but I also realize some people can joke like that and come off as cordial (BSF it seems) and some people can joke like that and sound like huge dicks (me). Its a gift.
It's the midwest. We deprecate, then self-deprecate harder and make friends.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Frankenmuth sounds like the Helen, GA of the north.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:42 am Frankenmuth sounds like the Helen, GA of the north.
I've been to both. It is.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The new Bob Mould is, unsurprisingly, very good.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pavement released two new live albums today (available on all streaming services). Both are peak live Pavement, which is to say brilliant, snotty, sublime and uncut genius.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Ringer’s Top 100 Radiohead Songs, Ranked

Its not the best and its definitely towards the singles but its fine. Also it taught me there's seemingly no way in spotify to listen to a playlist backwards.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Surprised to see my favorite #4.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Its uncanny how this happens. My issues up top were 3 and 4.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'd swap Idioteque with Let Down and Just with Creep, but pretty solid list overall.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

"Anyone Can Play Guitar" way too low IMO though.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I love "Let Down" but I get it not being one versus a more representative sound. "Lift" should get a spot too.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Hard to argue with the list. My personal list would have There, There a bit higher, but whatevs.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

It's funny, I really don't think about individual songs with Radiohead. Just albums. In fact, off to go on a Radiohead spree now.

(I've been listening to various albums in RS's top 15 or so. One observation - Purple Rain has aged WAY better than Thriller. To be fair, I much preferred back then too, but now, most of Thriller sounds really cheesy.)
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I know they took some shit, but I appreciate the new top 500. Illmatic and Miseducation were both under 10 years old for that first list so while they were clearly underranked even at the time, I see the logic in not risking a top 25 slot on something that may not hold up.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

5 year old is now singing Blur's "Tender" with "oh my bacon, oh my bacon, oh why, oh why".
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

mister d wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:14 pm I know they took some shit, but I appreciate the new top 500. Illmatic and Miseducation were both under 10 years old for that first list so while they were clearly underranked even at the time, I see the logic in not risking a top 25 slot on something that may not hold up.
I just listened to Miseducation yesterday. I gotta say, it kinda drags by the end. It has some great songs, but I'm not sure it deserves to be as high as it is. I think a lot of the allure of the album is that she's never made another one.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'd agree the album is misordered and could probably cut a song or two, but "Everything is Everything" and the "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You" cover are at the very back.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Just sold about $100 of my CDs at our garage sale at $1/ea. That was more emotional than I expected.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Friday garage sale? What happens in Vegas...
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:30 am Friday garage sale? What happens in Vegas...
It started yesterday. Thursday/Friday/Saturday. My CD/DVD collection wasn't really moving yesterday but a lot more action today.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

We sold all of ours in a large box for $75 about a decade ago and used the money to go to a bar.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The boygenius record is still great.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Listening to the new Sturgill Simpson album, "Cutting Grass Vol 1". Bluegrass interpretations of his old songs. Its good.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I don’t even know about that. Gonna check it out now
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

A_B wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:53 pm I don’t even know about that. Gonna check it out now
I didn't either. Saw someone mention it on Twitter.

This was sent out to his email list last night (Putting it in a spoiler because its pretty long).
[+] spoiler
Cuttin' Grass - Vol. 1 (The Butcher Shoppe Sessions)

This album started when I was in the third grade.

My paternal grandfather was sort of a bluegrass freak. He played a little mandolin, and after he retired, he’d travel around to bluegrass festivals in his motor home making field recordings. He just lived and ate and breathed it, and every time he’d come to visit, he’d try to shove it down my throat. My palette wasn’t ready to absorb it at the time—I was probably still into the Monkees and, thanks to an older cousin, discovering bands like Cream and Led Zeppelin far too young. He would sit me down and play cassette tapes of live bluegrass. One night in my room, when he could sense my rejection of what I was hearing, he looked at me directly and said, “One day it's gonna get in ya, and it’ll never get out.” I wish more than anything he was still here and could hear this collection of songs.

Many years later, after returning home to Kentucky from the military and living for some time out on the West coast, I was driving down the road one day and the public radio station played an old Monroe Brothers song and it absolutely floored me. A wave of emotion slammed me in the chest and I had to pull over on the side of the road. I was pretty much drifting at the time—completely lost, I guess you could say—and hearing that music brought everything to the surface.
It sounded like home. Bluegrass music is healing. I truly believe this to be true. It is made from ancient, organic tones and, as with most all forms of music, the vibrations and the pulse can be extremely therapeutic.

After that, I spent the next eight years or so obsessively scouring the earth for any and all of the old recordings of this music I could find. This was pre-YouTube era, so it wasn’t that easy. In 2005, I moved to Nashville for the first time. I was there for about a year, and the only thing I did was sit in my cinder block garage apartment and go to the Station Inn every Sunday night to play bluegrass. Needless to say, it was not the career jump-start I was hoping for, and I ended up moving back out west and taking a railroad job.

There’s been various reoccurring phases of obsession throughout my life with just about every kind of American music. In high school I was completely obsessed with electric blues and guitar playing. As I got older, I got more into writing and singing songs and playing acoustic guitars, more out of necessity than anything due to living in small apartments where I couldn’t crank up an amp. All the songs I’ve ever recorded in my life were written on one guitar, a Martin HD-28 I've owned since I was much younger, and sung in a fashion that was probably closer to bluegrass or country blues than to anything else. So doing a bluegrass album was always in my heart and in the back of my head. I had it in my mind for a long time that someday I wanted to cut as many of these songs as possible in that fashion, just organic and stripped down to the raw bones of the composition, without any heady production. If you can’t sit down and play the song like that, it’s probably not a very good song.

Last year, we made a pretty bangin’ rock and roll record and started a big arena tour, but it all got halted and ultimately cancelled when I got sick with the ‘Rona. We were in Europe back in January and February, and then came back to do arena shows in the US starting in late February. We had barely gotten into the tour when I knew something didn’t feel right—I felt extremely winded and fatigued, out of shape even...certain notes weren’t coming as easy as they should have. I couldn’t make sense of it, as I had lost a ton of weight in recent months in preparations for the tour and was living cleaner than ever. We played in Charleston on March 10th and the next day I was completely leveled physically, so we cancelled a string of shows that weekend starting in Hampton, West Virginia, and I went home. The next morning I was in the ER with pre-stroke blood pressure levels, feeling like I had an invisible ratchet strap cranking down around my chest. So after years of needing the break I never allowed myself, the universe decided it was time I stay home and take it easy.

I was stuck at home recovering in south Tennessee. I didn’t have any social media presence whatsoever to speak of before this last tour and the guys in my band gave me a lot of grief about that, so I let my drummer set my page up. I spend a lot of time in the woods at home. So on one of many boring days in quarantine, I made some goofy post in character as a backwoods badass named “Dick Daddy” running a fictitious survival school looking for new recruits, and somebody commented, “If you put that on a t-shirt, I’d buy it.” So I thought, what if I put it on 30,000 t-shirts and give that money to charity? Having been personally affected by this virus, I was trying to think of some way to help and to use the platform for something other than narcissism or toxicity. The response was amazing and hilarious. I received some pretty far-out recruit application videos in those weeks from people stuck at home trying to “live above Hell."

In an effort to raise more money, I told my fans that if they hit a certain number by a deadline, I would put on a livestream concert, and if we reached a second goal, I’d put a record out this year. Well, they blew those goals completely out of the water, so really it was the fans made this album happen. Otherwise I may have just as easily spent all summer fishing and changing diapers. I called up my engineer/co-producer/partner in crime, David Ferguson and said, “Get all the best players in town,” and we went in and banged this record out in about three days, with no planning or preparation.

Ferg had been begging me to make this album since we’d met in 2015. He has been a true friend and touchstone for me in Nashville where I've had so few.
He has also probably forgotten more about recording music than most people will ever know in this life, so I put myself in his hands and asked him to produce the sessions so I could focus more on having fun and singing. I self-produced my last two albums and have learned it can sometimes be an unnecessarily exhausting process wearing all those hats at the same time.

That same week we did a charity gig at the Ryman, which was essentially a livestream of our first rehearsal. That was one of the more surreal gigs of my life, playing that room completely empty.

I typically go into the studio with most of the album written in my head and end up throwing half the songs away and writing the rest during the process once the album reveals itself for what it wants to be. But with this record, I just went though my back catalogue and listed which songs I thought would work best and surrounded myself with musical wizards, so at most there might have been some second takes...but not many. Once they learned the form, we just went in and hit record. Ferg and I told everyone, “What you play off the floor is what it’s going to be—we’re not punching in solos or overdubbing anything, it’s just going to be totally raw and live.” Due to modern recording technology and the endless choices it brings, even modern bluegrass recordings have suffered from the soul-sucking pursuit of perfection. Merle Haggard once told me that “perfect is about the most boring thing on Earth.” When it comes to music, he was dead on. As a result it was the fastest recording I’ve ever made.

Adapting the songs was pretty easy; even a few of the tunes that I thought might be a little weird worked very easily. Some of the more esoteric psycho-babble songs, like the song “Just Let Go,” we got in the first take. It was just extremely easy, fun, everybody was laughing the whole time. Mostly, I was just humbled and amazed to be in the room with all these musicians. You can’t overstate all their talents—truly next-level freak show kind of stuff.

There are songs from all my albums except for the last one, and there’s two or three that I wrote 15 years ago back when I was playing dive bars in Kentucky. Those are the songs that were really cool to hear finally realized the way I had always wanted them to be recorded. “I Don’t Mind” is a song I wrote in 2006 or 2007, and it’s probably my wife’s favorite song that I’ve ever written. So she basically said, “Don’t come home if that thing’s not on the album” I thought it turned out really pretty, really beautiful, everybody did a great job on it.

If I had to say what’s the most definitively bluegrass song on the record, I would probably say “All the Pretty Colors.” The performance, the feel, the lyrical content, that could be like a bluegrass standard some day. I really loved what Sierra Hull, who sings and plays mandolin, did on “Breaker’s Roar”—she put these lilting harmonies on it that made it just as pretty as the strings on the Sailor’s Guide record. I thought that was really cool. She’s such an amazing and special talent and her mandolin playing really brought a fresh contemporary feel to the album that might otherwise not have been there had I used any number of other players. She also kept everyone on their best behavior in the studio. Bluegrass musicians can be a squirrelly bunch.

The bluegrass I love is from post-World War II up to the mid-‘70s. All of it, from the classic styles to the Ozark style, and especially some of the folk-tinged, almost mystical sounds that came out of California in the late '60s. After that, everything kinda got away from the true pulse and the rhythm of bluegrass that Bill Monroe devised, and became more based on hot flash soloing and herky-jerky “look what I can do.” That stuff does nothing for me.

My grandfather always told me that when it came to the instrumental or the solo sections, if you get away from the melody of the song, you’re not playing bluegrass anymore, you’re just showing off. So we were trying to adhere to the Jimmy Martin swing, the Clinch Mountain feel, because that’s the bluegrass I love. It should sound like a train rolling. I decided to call it volume one—because I could easily and literally do seventeen of these albums!

The thing I’ve realized about the ride I’ve been on these past seven years is that to me, despite what others may call and label them, all my records are simply “American music.” My head and my heart go different directions all the time, and when you put out a record, it becomes this definitive thing, like "this is who you are now" because people need to define things for the cycle of that album. This album for me was always just supposed to be a sort of simple mix tape for my fans, so it’s somewhat funny to me to think we might play TV shows and what not to promote it, and for a time I’ll be considered a bluegrass musician. In all honesty, though, I guess that's probably the closest thing to the truth that could ever be put in print about me.

This album also begins a new phase for my career. I'm starting back the way I started out, on my own record label. I’m realizing more and more every day what I already knew, which is that I was always supposed to be an independent artist. I’m just trying to look forward and create without any industry timelines or narratives and all the creative restrictions that inevitably come with them. The real benefit is that I’ve completely fallen back in love with music again. I was really burnt out for a long while, due to so many variables that had absolutely nothing to do with making music, and as a result had started associating music with some of the headaches behind the curtain that came with it. But with all that now in the rearview, I am feeling extremely healthy and happy. Mostly I'm just extremely grateful to wake up every day and look at my children. When I'm not playing with my kids, I just sit around playing guitar all day, which I haven’t really done for a number of years.

The world’s hurting right now in so many ways...there are a lot of people in way worse shape than most of us could ever imagine. I cannot fix or change any of this. But I can change myself. And I can put some music out, and hopefully, if nothing else, it might make some people forget about their pain and troubles for fifty-five minutes.

- Sturgill Simpson, October 2020
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

That was pretty excellent. Not surprising that a lot would translate to bluegrass with little alteration. He’s a great musician.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:48 pm Listening to the new Sturgill Simpson album, "Cutting Grass Vol 1". Bluegrass interpretations of his old songs. Its good.
I’ve been meaning to check that out. Cool to hear you liked it!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

This song, and this version of it, fucking haunts me. Love it so much.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

For some reason there was a Miley Cyrus video on the Youtube sidebar as I watched Arsenal highlights. That led me down a rabbit hole of Miley covering some great tunes. Holy hell this girl can sing! I kind of wrote her off as a child star gone crazy, but she is incredibly talented! She was on Rogan a few months ago, and I found her extremely interesting and intelligent.

These have to be some of the most difficult songs to cover, too.

An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Her voice is either “uniquely cool” or “ruinously weird” and sometimes both. Her sister’s voice is traditionally amazing
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Miley is more talented than most give her credit for.

I'm a sucker for anyone who can do "Zombie" well. This Bad Wolves cover is worth a listen even if it's a bit ubiquitous at this point.

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Current song that gets stuck in my head the rest of the day every time it hear it on the radio
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I like that. Hadn't heard it before.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The story behind it is pretty crazy.
When Michael Trotter sat down on the staircase inside his home in Albion, Michigan, one day in 2017, he was ready to end his life. Grappling with post-traumatic stress disorder after serving in Iraq, Trotter thought that maybe his life insurance policy could solve his wife and young son’s financial woes if he died. “I felt like I was the weight holding them back,” Trotter says. “I had failed, I guess, one time too many.”

Distressed, Trotter’s wife and musical partner, Tanya Blount Trotter, called the police and tried to persuade her husband to hold on. “Michael, I know you have a plan to leave this world,” she told him, “but if you give me just five more minutes to love you, I promise I can make you staying in this world make sense.” Tears in his eyes, Trotter looked up at his wife and said, “OK.”
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Yeah. I heard them discuss that in an interview. Makes some sense of the dark turn the video takes in the second verse.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I’m sure this has been posted before but I’m on a kick and been drinkin.

BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Also, for those not hip to Michael Kiwanuka, get it.

BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Maybe another.

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Wildflowers is in the argument for my favorite album of all time, and I wasn't really expecting much from the Wildflowers & All the Rest release, but it's really great. Kind of insane that he was only a year older than I am now when he released it back in 1994.