Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Re: The Captain Trips Anxiety thread

Post by TT2.0 »

Giff wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:55 am
TT2.0 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:01 am
The Sybian wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:49 am
TT2.0 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:37 am I had the worst panic attack of my life yesterday. it lasted. 7 hours. i woke up today feeling like I've been through a war
Jesus, that is horrible. I've been getting some serious anxiety lately, not sure if anything qualifies as a panic attack, but pretty close. Can't imagine 7 hours... Is anxiety medication an option for you, or too similar to pain meds? I've heard CDB can work miracles for anxiety, not sure how accessible that is in Texas. NJ is still very restricted in legalized weed, but products claiming to contain CDB are over the counter and available for delivery on Amazon.
I can't be trusted with anything prescription strength. it's why I smoke, circumstances just put me on the other side of town from my weed and I had to go to work and then I just kind of went into a spiral. i really thought I was going to have a heart attack.
Dude I know we haven't had a chance to meet up yet, but if you're still working on my side of town and find yourself in that situation again, I will help.
i moved to katy actually first of this month. Working on westheimer. it only happens about once every 3 or 4 months. Most of the time i'm lucky enough to be at home when they hit, but when I get stuck out somewhere its pretty much worse case scenario because driving is super hard for me when i feel like i'm going to die. I get kind of stuck wherever i happen to be when it happens.
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

So I know this is kind of old hat but I need to type something out for my own mental health here.

I've been very much not myself brain-wise since this whole thing started. It has changed the way I do business, interact with my spouse, see my family. All things that we're very much a part of our routine and life. So for me it's been a lot of restless sleep, tight chest attacks, thinking about the worst things that could happen.

Got an email last night that someone on my Sunday night hockey team tested positive and played in our game/was in my locker room that evening.

I try to be very safe as I know this is the #1 more dangerous activity I still participate in, but for my sanity and my physical condition I have made the exception. It's one of the only places my brain turns off anymore. I just can't think about anything other than hockey when I'm playing or I'll hurt myself or someone else. So it's been therapeutic. I wear a mask at all times inside the rink. I'm one of the only players in the league that actually plays with a mask on the ice. I think it's important, many don't.

So for the last 24 hours I've been an absolute wreck. I helped my father with some things last Wednesday and rode in a car with him (windows down, mask on myself), and had a beer with a buddy of mine (outside). And I played in a hockey tournament this weekend (mask on the entire time until we were out of the building in the parking lot).

I haven't had symptoms but I'm absolutely terrified. Not only for myself because I continually see headlines like "I saw an asympomatic 29 year old with COVID 6 weeks ago and now he's on a heart transplant list", but for the fact I might have gotten someone else sick. I just don't know how to deal with this crippling anxiety anymore. It's been 9 months of this and now it's worse than ever. I got a good night's sleep last night, texted a buddy of mine who has been tested asking him how to schedule and what it entailed and he just set me off again saying "man that's like the worst place you could be with someone, you have to take this very seriously".

I don't need sympathy and I'm not sure if anyone can help me with my brain right now but it's a very scary place right now to have to live inside of and I just needed to vent a little bit.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Vent away, it's definitely scary. It sounds like you have done a great job protecting yourself and others, and it sucks that someone else was callous about the importance of doing so. It sucks, but hopefully you're fine, or one of the lucky ones who has no symptoms if you do have it.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

You're good. If you lived here you would have been through a couple false alarms already. Is all it is. Good thing you took precautions.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

it helps to type it out sometimes. control what you can, know you are being as careful as anyone reasonably can be
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

400 new cases in Ontario and they are probably going back to "stage 2"

I am so glad I live here.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Got a second negative today. Boss has said to just work from home for rest of week to be 14 days past exposure. Luckily I have two projects that have to be done this week because I really suck at work from home in general. The dog doesn’t help.

(She is an angel but fucking high maintenance when people are around)
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:31 pm Got a second negative today. Boss has said to just work from home for rest of week to be 14 days past exposure. Luckily I have two projects that have to be done this week because I really suck at work from home in general. The dog doesn’t help.

(She is an angel but fucking high maintenance when people are around)
Good to hear, AB. Our 14 days is up today.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

We still doing these? Have hit a weird crossroads of anxiety and depression and self realization and panic. Everything is coming at me at once, and i have to make a lot of decisions in very little time. No idea what to do. Called into work yesterday. was checked out today. I feel the hard depression coming on like a wave. Gonna be a rough ride for awhile i fear.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

TT2.0 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:34 pm We still doing these? Have hit a weird crossroads of anxiety and depression and self realization and panic. Everything is coming at me at once, and i have to make a lot of decisions in very little time. No idea what to do. Called into work yesterday. was checked out today. I feel the hard depression coming on like a wave. Gonna be a rough ride for awhile i fear.
Feel free to reach out and talk it out anytime you need to man.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Does anyone else feel like they are the only ones still taking this thing seriously?

I was on FB a few minutes ago, and someone I went to high school with posted a video...from their kids wedding! With about 80 guests! They were all outside, but NO ONE was wearing a mask. What in the hell?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Still not going to indoor restaurants. Still wearing masks in offices and public places. Not wearing my mask when I am walking the dog or otherwise exercising. The CDC guidance on exposure is close contact for 15 minutes, is the latest I have seen. So if it’s outdoors and I can distance and not be sharing someone’s space for several minutes, I am not wearing a mask. Not sure if that means I am not taking it seriously or not.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

tennbengal wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:01 pm Still not going to indoor restaurants. Still wearing masks in offices and public places. Not wearing my mask when I am walking the dog or otherwise exercising. The CDC guidance on exposure is close contact for 15 minutes, is the latest I have seen. So if it’s outdoors and I can distance and not be sharing someone’s space for several minutes, I am not wearing a mask. Not sure if that means I am not taking it seriously or not.
Exactly what me and mine are doing.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:14 pm Does anyone else feel like they are the only ones still taking this thing seriously?

I was on FB a few minutes ago, and someone I went to high school with posted a video...from their kids wedding! With about 80 guests! They were all outside, but NO ONE was wearing a mask. What in the hell?
Actually, kind of the opposite. I'm surprised at how serious the majority of people I see in public are taking it. We went to watch a U-23 soccer game today. Smattering of fans spread out across the bleachers, and almost everyone was wearing masks, even the people standing by the fence without a person within 20 feet of them. Same at my daughters games. I posted in another thread the super restrictive rules our opponent had, down to providing a list of fans (one per player) and contact info for contact tracing purposes. My town hasn't had more than 4 cases since May or June, and we had zero for a very long run. Even the people with Trump flags and bumper stickers religiously wear masks in public and I've never seen or heard anyone local complain about masks, despite lots of angry venting at our Governor for keeping certain businesses closed and limiting restaurant capacity.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

How many masks do you count in this video?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Leach pretty much literally never had his mask on the entire game. NFL coaches were fined 30K for that shit.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:41 pm Leach pretty much literally never had his mask on the entire game. NFL coaches were fined 30K for that shit.
It was bad for every coach I saw except his malzahn and Ed orgeron inexplicably.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:14 pm Does anyone else feel like they are the only ones still taking this thing seriously?

Definitely. Three separate neighbors had groups of people over yesterday. One of which never cared about restrictions, one was pretty vigilant early on, don't really know about the other. I think everyone around here is just giving up.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Pretty big case numbers this weekend in NJ and NY.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

We had friends over last night for an outdoor dinner and a movie combo platter. Every family unit had their own table and chairs at dinner and masks were worn when not eating. Each family sat clustered for the movie, also, whether at the screen or around the fire (with plenty of space there, as well).

But, also...

Our school district's structure is three elementary schools (K-4) ---> two middle schools (5-8) ---> one high school. Last Wednesday, one high school student tested positive, leading to a remote day on Thursday for the high school.

Then, on Thursday, a teacher at one of the elementary schools tested positive, leading to a remote day on Friday for that school. Later on Thursday, a teacher shared by that elementary school and one of the middle schools tested positive, so that middle school also got a remote day on Friday.

And today, five additional teachers at that elementary school tested positive. And six other staffers and four students from that school have been placed in quarantine due to potential exposure. So, that school is now closed for the coming week for cleaning and disinfecting.

We have thankfully avoided this with our kids.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

govmentchedda wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:02 pm
tennbengal wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:01 pm Still not going to indoor restaurants. Still wearing masks in offices and public places. Not wearing my mask when I am walking the dog or otherwise exercising. The CDC guidance on exposure is close contact for 15 minutes, is the latest I have seen. So if it’s outdoors and I can distance and not be sharing someone’s space for several minutes, I am not wearing a mask. Not sure if that means I am not taking it seriously or not.
Exactly what me and mine are doing.
Same here. Almost everyone I see in a store is wearing a mask. When I pick up takeout at a restaurant, everyone involved in that process is wearing a mask, though of course people aren't wearing them at their tables.

We were wearing masks while outside during our quarantines but I'm no longer doing that.

One of my partners just told us he has to go under quarantine because his daughter has now tested positive. Sounds very familiar ...

(Unfortunately he's been going into the office regularly, so there's at least some risk he could've gotten it and transmitted it.)
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Here in MoCo, everyone is wearing masks in stores and restaurants. Even at the farmer's market last weekend.

That said, our neighborhood group is definitely over it. We've had a couple of outdoor Sunday Funday gatherings. Not much distancing and masks aren't even a consideration.

I have to say, though, this group has been together in a bubble since March. When folks travel, we take that into account and stay away from each other. The couples that have college kids... We're very open about which kids have been in contact or gotten sick, and when was the last time they saw their kids.

And this may sound like a minor thing, but this is a group of folks that have been friends for about 20 years. Lots of hugging and cheek kissing and high fives and stuff... All that is shutdown completely. It's STILL kind of odd, 6 months into this thing.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The (relatively) local Lions Club where we usually get our dead/live Christmas tree has already announced that they will not be selling trees this year. They mentioned concerns about CV19 but also that there might be a general tree shortage due to whatever economic predictors growers use to plant every year?

Anyway, my wife is simultaneously sad and patting herself on the back for deciding to buy a quality artificial tree back in the spring.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

This was a heartening read from the guy at the NYT who was all over Corona early in terms of sounding the alarm. Credible reporting:

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Even intellectually knowing this has always been possible, it’s insane that we’ve landed on “if it’s over after 15 months, I guess that’s something to look forward to”. There’s no way, if you play out millions of potential outcomes, this hasn’t all been a 0-th percentile response to the entire pandemic.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

(I know I’m not stating anything new, but I feel like living inside of it I can lose sight of how immensely and unnecessarily fucked this has all been.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:39 pm Even intellectually knowing this has always been possible, it’s insane that we’ve landed on “if it’s over after 15 months, I guess that’s something to look forward to”. There’s no way, if you play out millions of potential outcomes, this hasn’t all been a 0-th percentile response to the entire pandemic.
Right there with you. But, damn, I need something to look to. Even if it's as big picture frustrating as that fact is.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

My wife and I were reminiscing about how batshit crazy things were in March. Couldn't buy some basic food, felt like the walls were closing in... Wiping down every box that showed up... Hell, leaving boxes in the carport for days before even touching them.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:56 am My wife and I were reminiscing about how batshit crazy things were in March. Couldn't buy some basic food, felt like the walls were closing in... Wiping down every box that showed up... Hell, leaving boxes in the carport for days before even touching them.
My in-laws are still doing that. My wife's childhood bedroom is the "decontamination room." All packages stay there for 3 days. Can't get her to let that one go. They are living in pure terror still.
-Pruitt
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Don't know if anyone else is going out to restaurants yet, but I can't even fathom going to a restaurant (outdoors) yet. It's not just the people sitting around me, but it is eating off of forks that have been in other people's mouths and drinking out of glasses that other people just used. I'd rather not go than to bring my own silverware and drink out of plastic water bottles.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

bfj wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:34 am Don't know if anyone else is going out to restaurants yet, but I can't even fathom going to a restaurant (outdoors) yet. It's not just the people sitting around me, but it is eating off of forks that have been in other people's mouths and drinking out of glasses that other people just used. I'd rather not go than to bring my own silverware and drink out of plastic water bottles.
I've eaten outside at a restaurant a couple times. Pretty sure it was all with either disposable plasticware, or just a burger and fries that required no utensils.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:36 am
bfj wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:34 am Don't know if anyone else is going out to restaurants yet, but I can't even fathom going to a restaurant (outdoors) yet. It's not just the people sitting around me, but it is eating off of forks that have been in other people's mouths and drinking out of glasses that other people just used. I'd rather not go than to bring my own silverware and drink out of plastic water bottles.
I've eaten outside at a restaurant a couple times. Pretty sure it was all with either disposable plasticware, or just a burger and fries that required no utensils.
Yeah, the few times I have been in a restaurant it's been plastic utensils.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Ultra orthodox woman across the road has Covid - probably got it last week when she and her husband flew to New York for a a couple of days as one of their sons was announcing his engagement to a local girl. (They have 8 kids and 17 Grandkids)

She sent my wife pictures of the blessed event and probably 25 people at the party, none in masks.

Scary part is that her husband, daughter and the son who lives with them haven't been tested. Didn''t sound like they were planning to either.

Scarier still - they had a full house for Sukkot. Other kid in from Ohio with his family of 6 including a toddler and a baby. We saw five guys playing basketball on the driveway (ortho guys play basketball in suits - minus the jackets), the affected woman watching them while holding a baby, but no mask.

Thought these were bright people. Woman and her husband are both teachers (and he is a Rabbi as well). No wonder DiBlasio and Cuomo singled out the ultra orthodox communities in the New York area. These people just can't change their priorities.

Pisses me off, because of the three houses on either side of them, only one does not have a resident over 80 years old.
Last edited by Pruitt on Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

At my district, the announcement that we'd be full remote was made 8:15 the day in September when teachers reported for a hybrid start to the school year. Teachers were allowed to work from home as well. Athletics still on. Target date for student return was mid-November.

Flash-forward to 2 weeks ago when the district announced that all teachers had to report to school starting Oct. 12th while all students were still remote. In person PSAT's scheduled for Oct. 14th possibly a factor in the district choosing that date to have staff report.

This past Saturday, we learn that there are two cases on the football team, and football is shut down until Oct. 28th or so. Everything else proceeding as planned.

Sunday night, we receive our welcome back message from our superintendent wherein she tells us that it is likely that students will be brought back before the mid-November target date and that we should all look forward to welcoming them back in either a hybrid or full attendance format.

Yesterday, we all report.

8:45 last night: A custodian who came in to clean over the weekend has tested positive, there are other probable cases in the student body unrelated to the football team, and now the school is shut down for two weeks with nobody allowed in the buildings, PSAT's are cancelled, but athletics will proceed normally and they will reassess the situation in late October.

Yeah, I don't get it either. The Sunday night email aged pretty well, though.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Real deal here. I wiped them with a bleach wipes the first few times then the drinks kicked in. On one hand theres laughter at grandparents letting boxes sit but then you won't eat with a metal fork or drink from a glass. Who knows who is right. Would be nice if the government would give us the answer but I've long since stopped waiting for that. The only takeaway is you can't really judge others covid actions or lack thereof. Pretty much individual comfort about now.

School been going here without many stoppages since August. I think georgia has proved that's not the usual scenario
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Jesus, I hadn’t even thought of the silverware issue.

We ate on a well-spaced patio in a roadside cafe in New Mexico. I was barely able to convince my wife it’d be ok. Now I have to worry they didn’t wash the dishes enough?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Just ate out for the first time this weekend. Daughter had a soccer tournament in Connecticut, so we had to stay overnight. I was much more uncomfortable in a hotel than restaurant. CT allows indoor dining, I wasn't comfortable with that. One of the parents organized a team dinner, reserved a private room indoors. Most people signed on, I said no, then 3 or 4 others said no. Organizer decided to cancel, as he read a story about some sports team all getting COVID, then decided he didn't want to be responsible. Anyways, we went to a brewery that served food. We waited for an outdoor table to open up. The place had 20-30 foot high ceilings and tables were more than 20 feet apart, so I might have been OK with it, but we waited. They handed out brown bags with paper plates and napkins. They only served brick oven pizza and soft pretzels, so no utensils.
-Pruitt
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Only takeout for us still and way less frequently than we used to. I guess I miss going to restaurants but only to break up the monotony. Drop $100 AND constantly be thinking about COVID? Where do I sign up?!?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I've picked up a ton of carryout, a number of which required that I go inside to pick it up. Servers have always been masked up, so no real issue there.

Have now gone to 3 different breweries, all with outdoor seating. Plastic cups and utensils when it comes to that.

Was away this weekend (Chincoteague) and ate outside at a place called the Ropewalk (convenient to our hotel, decent menu to pick from.) They were seating in and outdoor, we waited to sit outside. Every other table was empty. Felt very comfortable there.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

We won't eat outdoors at the one-off setups in parking lots or streets because those all look like they've been measured for exactly 6 feet distance, but we've found two places with large outdoor setups and double-plus spacing. Its really, really nice just to get out and fake normalcy for an hour.

(For the Jersey Boyz here, its Porta (Asbury Park) and Stirling Hotel (Stirling).)