The Captain Trips Anxiety thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: The Captain Trips Anxiety thread

Post by rass »

The one time we tried to go to the Stirling Hotel (based on your sterling recommendation) it was so fucking packed (a nice spring Saturday evening) that we haven't tried again and I never would have thought of going there nowadays.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Was it a day where the back had an event and they were only seating in the semi-outdoor area? We got nailed with one of those.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I've done outdoor patio a lot since July/Aug but most places we frequent have been very vocal about going above and beyond for safety stuff.

Inside only twice, both times at very empty places, once for breakfast, and once for a pit stop beer and burger on a cold rainy day I was playing in a DG tournament.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:53 pm Just ate out for the first time this weekend.
Don't need no ...
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:28 pm The one time we tried to go to the Stirling Hotel (based on your sterling recommendation) it was so fucking packed (a nice spring Saturday evening) that we haven't tried again and I never would have thought of going there nowadays.
Love the Stirling Hotel. Food is great, and they always have some great beers on tap. Outdoor seating was nice, even pre-COVID and they have the covered outdoor space with heat lamps, so they probably had an easy time adjusting. The owner went to great lengths staying open in the very early days with take-out and selling drink kits (a liter bottle of booze and fancy cocktail mixes). I heard he was breaking even or losing money, but wanted to keep his employees earning.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

love going out to eat and drink in asbury park.
biergarten is our favorite.
haven't been there since xmas time

tons of takeout, all local -- and most restaurants in town set up outdoor dining - town even closed one street off on weekends for it in summer...and now permanently closed one side of the street off main - have done outdoor dining in a few of the local places and several small outdoor gatherings in town .. outside of soccer for the boy, camping and seeing my parents twice down in md.. don't go more than 30 minutes from our house and usually just grocery store and costco. and to the pub to fill up my growler. went to doc yesterday morning... lots of plexiglass.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I moved here convinced I hated all NJ beach towns and am now convinced I hate all but one NJ beach town.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

elflaco2 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:41 am love going out to eat and drink in asbury park.

tons of takeout, all local -- and most restaurants in town set up outdoor dining - town even closed one street off on weekends for it in summer...and now permanently closed one side of the street off main - have done outdoor dining in a few of the local places and several small outdoor gatherings in town .. outside of soccer for the boy, camping and seeing my parents twice down in md.. don't go more than 30 minutes from our house and usually just grocery store and costco. and to the pub to fill up my growler. went to doc yesterday morning... lots of plexiglass.
Do they fill your growler or make you buy a new one? Breweries aren't allowed to fill old growlers, not sure if bars can, so many are giving free growlers.

Have you been to Brainy Borough Brewing? Curious how this place works, it's a brewery with membership, and they make it sound more like a club than a brewery. Very curious what their "no last call" rule means, can they stay open later because it's a club not a bar or brewery? Do members get keys and you can pour yourself a beer at 6:00 am?
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:07 am I moved here convinced I hated all NJ beach towns and am now convinced I hate all but one NJ beach town.
Pt. Pleasant, right? The best!
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Kids can hit the aquarium and I can be 500 feet away drinking a half dozen mixed drinks in an hour. What could be better?
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

I know this is going to sound like a joke or me trying a bit hut it's really not..

I had a panic attack that lasted so long this morning my brain got bored and composed a little song about having panic attacks which is stuck in my head now..if you want to sing along at home just take the song "particle man" and change it to panicking man...

Anxiety man meets depression man....they have a fight, anxiety wins. Anxiety, man.
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

You guys don't have to tell me I'm insane. Im aware of it
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

cerrano wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:00 am At my district, the announcement that we'd be full remote was made 8:15 the day in September when teachers reported for a hybrid start to the school year. Teachers were allowed to work from home as well. Athletics still on. Target date for student return was mid-November.

Flash-forward to 2 weeks ago when the district announced that all teachers had to report to school starting Oct. 12th while all students were still remote. In person PSAT's scheduled for Oct. 14th possibly a factor in the district choosing that date to have staff report.

This past Saturday, we learn that there are two cases on the football team, and football is shut down until Oct. 28th or so. Everything else proceeding as planned.

Sunday night, we receive our welcome back message from our superintendent wherein she tells us that it is likely that students will be brought back before the mid-November target date and that we should all look forward to welcoming them back in either a hybrid or full attendance format.

Yesterday, we all report.

8:45 last night: A custodian who came in to clean over the weekend has tested positive, there are other probable cases in the student body unrelated to the football team, and now the school is shut down for two weeks with nobody allowed in the buildings, PSAT's are cancelled, but athletics will proceed normally and they will reassess the situation in late October.

Yeah, I don't get it either. The Sunday night email aged pretty well, though.
Update: After I posted this on Tuesday, later that night the district announced they will resume in person learning on Oct. 28th.

So we go from being remote, to having the teachers report, to having the school shut down to all personnel (except for custodial) for 2 weeks as to contain an outbreak, to an announcement that in-person learning will start in two weeks, all within 72 hours. Really makes me feel like the district really has a good handle on things.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Our school Superintendent retired a year ago, and people haven't been happy with the new hire. While the schools and teachers have done a great job, she is a fucking disaster on COVID. Mostly her communications are tone deaf, she says stupid shit and even her spelling and grammar suck. Normally I wouldn't care, but you are the Superintendent of schools, learn to write. Anyways, she sent a survey to students, but not parents, asking what the students want to do moving forward. Just before the school year started, she gave a survey to parents and teacher with 3 options. Teachers were 90% in favor of one of the options with something like 70% of parents agreeing. She went with a different option. I think the Board of Ed was in agreement with the parents and teachers, too. Last minute, her plan turned out unfeasible and she had to change.

Anyways, she decided to fully reopen all the elementary schools. No more cohorts with 50% of kids in person alternating each week. Seems really fucking stupid as cases in the region and in town have started rising and all projections are showing a surge around the corner. We had 2 students test positive last week, supposedly both were fully remote, and a HS teacher last week. They said she teaches "segregated special needs" students, so she was only in contact with 8 kids and those kids aren't in contact with others. Pretty sure my next door neighbor is in her class, because he is now fully remote. Middle school and HS are remaining 50% cohorts, but they are adding an hour to the in-school portion. Right now they come home at noon, then restart fully remote at 1:00.
-Pruitt
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:50 amAnyways, she decided to fully reopen all the elementary schools. No more cohorts with 50% of kids in person alternating each week. Seems really fucking stupid as cases in the region and in town have started rising and all projections are showing a surge around the corner. We had 2 students test positive last week, supposedly both were fully remote, and a HS teacher last week. They said she teaches "segregated special needs" students, so she was only in contact with 8 kids and those kids aren't in contact with others. Pretty sure my next door neighbor is in her class, because he is now fully remote. Middle school and HS are remaining 50% cohorts, but they are adding an hour to the in-school portion. Right now they come home at noon, then restart fully remote at 1:00.
Minor point, but did she really use the word segregated? There's a good reason why most districts use the term "self-contained." That speaks volumes about your superintendent right there.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Probably old news to you guys, but health experts are saying that the colder weather season is likely going to cause a spike. Might already have started.

The dry air apparently holds the particles longer, but more importantly, folks will start gathering in increasing number/frequency indoors as it becomes untenable to hold outdoor gatherings.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Here are two disasters of emails we got a couple weeks ago from the elementary school art teacher:
Hello parents and students for the 3rd time, haha, it was a bit crazy yesterday, don't you agree? :)

So I finally found out (that thank goodness it wasn't my fault, PHEWWWW), that the art course wasn't showing up on your Schoology page. The problem had been with Boces. Hopefully Laurel from IT emailed you yesterday and explained things however I'm just following up today to make sure everyone is okay and understands. There should be no more problems with finding the art course from now on.

I have also had some questions about WHO should be doing art on Wednesdays. Cohort C is to always be on for my google meets, 9am K-2; and 9:30 3-4. You will be getting a link to that google meet just before it is time to start.

So for the rest of groups A and B, if I teach your child or will be teaching your child art during the week, you do NOT have to do the art assignment for that week online. So this is week 2, all my students who saw me Monday and Tuesday, and will see me today (Thursday) and Friday did not have to do art online.
Therefore, if your child sees me on week 1 or week 3, they should have done the art assignment this week.

Next week is week 3, so the students who I will be seeing will NOT have to do the online art assignment.

If you're still confused please let me know and I'll try to explain again, I know it's CRAZY right now and can be VERY frustrating, believe me, I'm in the same boat. Thanks for all your understanding, from what I can tell you all are doing a wonderful job making sure your kids are doing what they are supposed to be doing and I thank you for that.

Sincerely,
Seven hours later...
Hello parents again, WOW, this is crazy. Once again I'm sorry to be bothering you. Here is the latest update about online art. First, I thought the problem about seeing the art course was going to be solved by last night, it however wasn't and I heard it still wasn't this morning. My apologies, there is nothing I can do about that, Boces is working on it. Also, some people said they could see things posted but there was nothing in the folders, again, it's a Boces problem and other classroom teachers are experiencing the same mishaps.

Here is one ray of sunshine for some of you though...... (and this is my fault, I just found this out today) your child is not required to do art online during the weeks that I don't see them in school. So they will be getting 1, 30 minute art class from me in school every 3 weeks and that is all that is required.

I was under the impression they were required to do art at home when I didn't see them. But I was wrong. However, I will post things monthly on the art course board if your child chooses or wants to do extra art. I have not had time to do this yet, as I just found out, but will let you know when I do. They are also encouraged to continue practicing the skills that I taught them in school. I have received many emails asking me when your child has art, now you don't need to know that because it won't matter, however, your classroom teacher should have told you what special and what week it is, just so you're in the know. Please understand that I teach EVERYONE in this school so if you need me to answer a specific question about your child please let me know your child's full name, what grade and teacher your child has, I have a pretty good memory but I can't keep track of 550 students, haha

So let me bullet this:
1- your child DOES NOT have to do online art, we encourage it but it's not mandatory and they will not be handing anything in
2- ONLY Cohort C has to do online art
3- You now don't need to know what week your child has art
4- If your child wants extra art activities to do, I will be putting them on Schoology and changing them out monthly (when it actually starts working)

Again, I'm sorry for thinking that the online art was mandatory, I know a lot of you got very frustrated and everything has been very confusing. Hopefully, with this email I have been able to relieve some of your stress.

Again, thank you for being so involved in your child's art education and nervous that they weren't doing their art, it actually makes me feel really good that you think of art as an important subject :)

Sincerely,
I couldn't decide which was the worst part... emojis in a work email, stating her relief about it not being her fault, blaming an outside vendor by name, passing the buck to a co-worker, the completely confusing info about which cohorts do art at what time, once again saying it's not her fault, the contradictory info about who has to do online art in back-to-back bullet points...

The last sentence about thinking the parents think art is important... Hilarious. They want to make sure their kids get good grades, which, for elementary school kids, means just doing the assignments.

I nearly wrote an email to the principal about how poorly the first email was written because it's a poor representation of the school district as a whole.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:31 am
elflaco2 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:41 am love going out to eat and drink in asbury park.

Do they fill your growler or make you buy a new one? Breweries aren't allowed to fill old growlers, not sure if bars can, so many are giving free growlers.

Have you been to Brainy Borough Brewing? Curious how this place works, it's a brewery with membership, and they make it sound more like a club than a brewery. Very curious what their "no last call" rule means, can they stay open later because it's a club not a bar or brewery? Do members get keys and you can pour yourself a beer at 6:00 am?
i get my fill up at Hailey's -- bring my own growler.
Brainy Boro doesn't have a physical location - they serve their beers at Hailey's but mainly at the Harpcade (arcade+pub) located behind Hailey's
they have tastings - i'm not a member but do have a couple of their tshirts and know the guy that runs it --
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Most every email I get form teachers have gramattical errors or aren't up to the professional level I expect. Sucks.

Unrelated Anxiety Note:

My wife has two grandmothers that require 24 hour care. Then we found out earlier this week that her mom has a progressive degenerative palsy similar to Parkinson's, but which is basically untreatable. Doctors said she can no longer drive (she's had four accidents in the past 12 months) and told my FIL that she should not be left alone to go up and down stairs. And the worst part is there is no real way to know how far along in the disease's progression. She has some signs that usually appear later but then others that usually appear early that haven't. It's something that usually you can get 10 years tops from onset but we have no idea if she's one year in or five. And the end stage is usually a bedridden situation.

The in-laws plan to buy one grandmother's house which is a ranch, but she has not passed away so the timing morbidly depends on that. So they are now preparing their home for sale and it needs a bit of work to get ready for the market. So there's a lot going on and my wife is majorly stressed out. I'll do what I can of course but it sucks that everything is hitting at once and I sometimes feel helpless.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I think useless is the word you're looking for there, not helpless. You're welcome.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

And I sort of feel for the elementary school art teacher just because I assume people become elementary art school teachers in some large part so they don't want to ever have deal with sending emails like that to parents.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

cerrano wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:23 am
The Sybian wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:50 amAnyways, she decided to fully reopen all the elementary schools. No more cohorts with 50% of kids in person alternating each week. Seems really fucking stupid as cases in the region and in town have started rising and all projections are showing a surge around the corner. We had 2 students test positive last week, supposedly both were fully remote, and a HS teacher last week. They said she teaches "segregated special needs" students, so she was only in contact with 8 kids and those kids aren't in contact with others. Pretty sure my next door neighbor is in her class, because he is now fully remote. Middle school and HS are remaining 50% cohorts, but they are adding an hour to the in-school portion. Right now they come home at noon, then restart fully remote at 1:00.
Minor point, but did she really use the word segregated? There's a good reason why most districts use the term "self-contained." That speaks volumes about your superintendent right there.
Ha, that's a major point, especially as I'm calling out the Super for poor writing. I'd have to check, but I doubt she used the word segregated. If she did, she'd be run out of town on a rail. We have a very vocal "Diversity Committee" in town, and that would not have gone unnoticed.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

TT2.0 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:25 am You guys don't have to tell me I'm insane. Im aware of it
"Insane" would only apply if you were unaware of the depression and anxiety.

How are you feeling now?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Man, AB, Thats tough about your wife and in-laws. Try to keep your chin up.

You too, TT. Good luck!

And, did I mention how glad I am to not have kids in elementary school right now?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

AB, what ever happened with you and your family having COVID symptoms and someone not bothering to tell you they exposed relatives?
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:22 am And, did I mention how glad I am to not have kids in elementary school right now?
A couple weeks after they went back, I asked my oldest if there are any kids in their class who have issues wearing masks and the teachers have to remind them. She said no because they all know they have to wear masks due to COVID duh.

It was 50/50 between virtual and in-person learning for the first nine weeks. They gave parents the option to opt-in or out after the first grading period and it's about 53/47 more in-person now. They also run more school buses so there's only about a dozen on theirs.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:23 am AB, what ever happened with you and your family having COVID symptoms and someone not bothering to tell you they exposed relatives?
Everyone has recovered and thankfully no one else seems to have gotten it. Once they got their diagnoses they did isolate, but that didn't excuse not being more up front about it all. But on to the new fish we are frying, I suppose.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

So my wife has been teaching virtually all year. She has about 25 students in her class, down from 29 at the highest. It has been quite an adjustment and now the district is changing the hybrid policy. Instead of MW, TTh and virtual on Friday, it will be MTWR and virtual on Friday. This doesn't affect my kids, because as with my wife, they are doing all virtual.

Now some of the teachers are getting calls from parents about mask wearing and all kinds of other issues they have. Yesterday, a parent called and complained that other schools were relaxing the mask wearing in class, and demanded that the teacher do the same. She responded that it was a school policy and she didn't have the ability to change any of that nor would she for the safety of all those involved. He then said that he knew of teachers in the building that were not forcing the students to wear masks. She asked who, but he wouldn't tell her.

This just makes me irate. I know the dad. His oldest is in the same grade as my youngest. Always thought he was an all right guy, but this bullshit makes me change my mind. I wish more of the kids were like Giff's daughter. Gotta wear the masks. Don't want COVID, duh!
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

duff wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:40 pm I wish more of the kids were like Giff's daughter. Gotta wear the masks. Don't want COVID, duh!
I think it all comes down to parenting.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:22 am
And, did I mention how glad I am to not have kids in elementary school right now?
Because you'd be 90 when they graduated high school?
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Solid.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

I got a call back from the drug trial i missed earlier in the summer. Enrolled. Monday am.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

TT2.0 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:24 am I know this is going to sound like a joke or me trying a bit hut it's really not..

I had a panic attack that lasted so long this morning my brain got bored and composed a little song about having panic attacks which is stuck in my head now..if you want to sing along at home just take the song "particle man" and change it to panicking man...

Anxiety man meets depression man....they have a fight, anxiety wins. Anxiety, man.
The only surprising thing about any of this is that you listen to They Might Be Giants.

Although, maybe that's appropriate...
Totally Kafkaesque
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:37 pm I got a call back from the drug trial i missed earlier in the summer. Enrolled. Monday am.
Thanks to wi-fi, I imagine it will be a lot less tedious when I did one about 20 years ago (I got the placebo!).
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:47 pm
HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:37 pm I got a call back from the drug trial i missed earlier in the summer. Enrolled. Monday am.
Thanks to wi-fi, I imagine it will be a lot less tedious when I did one about 20 years ago (I got the placebo!).
You have intravenous WiFi or some shit up there?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

A_B wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:58 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:47 pm
You have intravenous WiFi or some shit up there?
The drug trial I did pre-dated wi-fi as a standard condition of life. That was a long week.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:01 pm
duff wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:40 pm I wish more of the kids were like Giff's daughter. Gotta wear the masks. Don't want COVID, duh!
I think it all comes down to parenting.
Yesterday two maskless middle-aged women were walking on the track (lane 1) around 3pm while the hs girls soccer team was practicing. Our AD went over to ask them nicely to mask up while the kids were on the field.

The reaction involved one of the women yelling at our AD that he doesn’t have the right to tell them to wear a mask on the high school’s property and that masks are bullshit anyway. Loud enough to stop the practice.

She also had the time to say that her daughter is a cheerleader at the hs and, oh by the way, the kids should be in school. This all went about 2 hours before a senior boys soccer player was pulled off the field during senior night ceremonies because he was identified as a close contact of positive case.

It’s all about the parenting.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Algebra 3 is kicking my ass. But we muddled through and got 80 percent. Shoot I don’t remember this stuff at all. And I passed four semester of college calculus.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:09 pm Algebra 3 is kicking my ass. But we muddled through and got 80 percent. Shoot I don’t remember this stuff at all. And I passed four semester of college calculus.
You're getting your MBA, right? Jeez, I don't remember having to take that when I got mine (but that was 28 years ago.) It would kick my ass, too.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:20 pm
A_B wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:09 pm Algebra 3 is kicking my ass. But we muddled through and got 80 percent. Shoot I don’t remember this stuff at all. And I passed four semester of college calculus.
You're getting your MBA, right? Jeez, I don't remember having to take that when I got mine (but that was 28 years ago.) It would kick my ass, too.
Ha. No this is for my junior in high school! Mba going great!