2020 Presidential Election: Joe Biden vs Whoever the Republicans Nominate

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: 2020 Presidential Election: Joe Biden vs Whoever the Republicans Nominate

Post by rass »

My wife had the Today show this morning and they were discussing the dueling town halls this evening and I grumbled something under my breath about NBC. My wife informed me that Savannah Guthrie used to be a lawyer and that she had the utmost confidence that Guthrie could and would hold her own. Fine, whatever, who knows.

Except that it seems like Trump has gone all in on insulting the shit out of Guthrie today. If his plan is to bully her this evening I can’t imagine that’s going to play well outside the bubble.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

psunate77 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:10 pm So the Senate is investigating the Biden email the NYT broke yesterday.. How much you wanna bet they make some ruling that Biden can't be on the ballot or some shit?

They are going to do whatever they can to make sure Trump stays in office. They owe it to him for dome reason, even tho alot of them are going to be ousted.
Again, Ron Johnson has been running this Senate investigations for months, and there is nothing there. They've made announcements several times that they found something major, it turns out to be nothing, and it disappears. Unless you are talking about something else, the Times didn't break the story, it was the NYPost, which is a tabloid rag slightly more journalistic than the National Enquirer. The only interesting thing to come out of this story is how they got the hard drives. Hunter brought his computer to repair shop and never picked it up. The FBI somehow found out, and the owner gave the computer to the FBI, who found nothing incriminating. The owner made a copy of the hard drive and gave that to Rudy Giuliani who leaked the pictures and emails to the Post. I guess the picture of him with a crack pipe in his mouth is incriminating, but not something that can stick to Biden. And there were pictures of him with no shirt on laying in a tub smoking a cigarette. I mean, FFS, a newspaper is running that as a scandal?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:02 pm My wife had the Today show this morning and they were discussing the dueling town halls this evening and I grumbled something under my breath about NBC. My wife informed me that Savannah Guthrie used to be a lawyer and that she had the utmost confidence that Guthrie could and would hold her own. Fine, whatever, who knows.

Except that it seems like Trump has gone all in on insulting the shit out of Guthrie today. If his plan is to bully her this evening I can’t imagine that’s going to play well outside the bubble.
Yeah, she is cute and seems like a really sweet suburban mom. Attacking her won't look great. But fuck NBC for giving Trump a win after he backed out of the debate. At least make him do this a different time than Biden's town hall. OTOH, I still think the less people see Joe the better. He stands to lose a lot more than gain at a town hall, especially if there is any validity to the polls. A major gaffe can hurt Joe, but a flawless performance isn't going to sway many people.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Sabo wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:58 amI did see a pretty outstanding yard sign yesterday. It read:
Presidents are temporary. Wu-Tang is forever.
Motherfucker, you're half a block away and don't text?

(This also confirms you're off twitter.)
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:00 pm Just to put a bow on my side of the "are the Dems tangibly different or are they people you should also fight against" debate:

They don't get it, they're rich enough to not have to get it and as long as people excuse and promote them as "better than the Republicans", there will never be incentive to get it.
Diane Feinstein is a corpse. She does suck. She’s not representative of the party. The party putting her on that committee is a totally self-inflicted wound. No argument there.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (201.48 KiB) Viewed 786 times

Gonna be an annoying night
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Feels like this should be a bigger story...

Videos show closed-door sessions of leading conservative activists: ‘Be not afraid of the accusations that you’re a voter suppressor’
As the presidential campaign entered its final stages, a fresh-faced Republican activist named Charlie Kirk stepped into the spotlight at a closed-door gathering of leading conservatives and shared his delight about an impact of the coronavirus pandemic: the disruption of America’s universities. So many campuses had closed, he said, that up to a half-million left-leaning students probably would not vote.

“So, please keep the campuses closed,” Kirk, 26, said in August as the audience cheered, according to video of the event obtained by The Washington Post. “Like, it’s a great thing.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The fact there’s at least two people on this board who care more about having an ethically and ideologically pure candidate when a loss means the literal end of democracy tells you all you need to know about the Bernie left. They’re like Michigan State fans. They’d rather live under an autocracy and be right than live in a democracy and be wrong. White supremacy and homophobia in a different guise.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I kinda mean this, god bless Savanna Gunthrie.
Last edited by tennbengal on Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

This Guthrie lady is good. She is killing Trump calling him out on everything.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

brian wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:11 pm The fact there’s at least two people on this board who care more about having an ethically and ideologically pure candidate when a loss means the literal end of democracy tells you all you need to know about the Bernie left.
Just imagine the stories you can tell in your next country about those silly and naive purists who voted exactly the same way you did but were too convicted to concede the internet argument about why the vote wasn’t actually a good thing.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

brian wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:11 pm The fact there’s at least two people on this board who care more about having an ethically and ideologically pure candidate when a loss means the literal end of democracy tells you all you need to know about the Bernie left.
I must have missed where anyone said that. I'm baffled that so many folks here get so upset when anyone criticizes a Democrat. I think it's pretty clear that everyone here really hates Trump and wants him to lose. That's the absolute most important thing. But that doesn't mean one couldn't wish for a better, more progressive Democratic candidate (and/or more progressive party leaders).
Totally Kafkaesque
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Shirley's internet alter-ego is correct. This makes me laugh. Every time:

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

If Biden is able to pull this off, it could be, looking back at it, that his fundamental decency with which he interacts with people will be the thing that broke through the Trump clutter. Stuff like him staying for an hour plus last night to answer everyone's question - after TV coverage was over. Apparently something he's known for.

Also, months of Trump and his machine painting him as doddering and senile absolutely has backfired on them - since he's not coming across as that at all.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

It's not Biden. It's the dunce. Keep punting Joe!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:57 pm
Sabo wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:58 amI did see a pretty outstanding yard sign yesterday. It read:
Presidents are temporary. Wu-Tang is forever.
Motherfucker, you're half a block away and don't text?

(This also confirms you're off twitter.)
I saw this same sign outside of Easton, MD.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:58 pm Shirley's internet alter-ego is correct. This makes me laugh. Every time:

Tomorrow is nine years on Twitter with one avatar. Starting to think I need to change it.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Given how much someone will care about this...

HAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAHHAHA

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Ya know, I really should've made a Van Jones parody Twitter account and shared links with the line "Today is the day Donald Trump became president. Period." for every post I made.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

For those not in the know, Babylonbee is a sort of Onion-lite.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:44 am Given how much someone will care about this...

HAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAHHAHA

#FAKEVIEWS
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Ha. Reminds me of when Duffel Blog (military flavored The Onion) shared a story that said they were turning gates on posts and Air Force bases into toll booths to raise money because the DoD cut funding.

It was shared to spouses groups on Facebook where they didn't get the joke and installation commanders, through their public affairs offices, had to share a Notice to All Members that it was a joke.

Absolutely hilarious.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

So the Guiliani 'scoop'? Some mighty suspect sourcing...

Analysis: Questionable 'N.Y. Post' Scoop Driven by Ex-Hannity Producer, Giuliani
This week, the New York Post published a story based on what it says are emails — "smoking gun" emails, it calls them — sent by a Ukrainian business executive to the son of Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden. The story fits snugly into a narrative from President Trump and his allies that Hunter Biden's zealous pursuit of business ties abroad also compromised the former vice president.

Yet this was a story marked more by red flags than investigative rigor.
The thing I didn't know was that the story was written by a former producer for Hannity. And its her first story in the Post.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:43 am So the Guiliani 'scoop'? Some mighty suspect sourcing...

Analysis: Questionable 'N.Y. Post' Scoop Driven by Ex-Hannity Producer, Giuliani
This week, the New York Post published a story based on what it says are emails — "smoking gun" emails, it calls them — sent by a Ukrainian business executive to the son of Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden. The story fits snugly into a narrative from President Trump and his allies that Hunter Biden's zealous pursuit of business ties abroad also compromised the former vice president.

Yet this was a story marked more by red flags than investigative rigor.
The thing I didn't know was that the story was written by a former producer for Hannity. And its her first story in the Post.
And furthermore...

White House was warned Giuliani was target of Russian intelligence operation to feed misinformation to Trump
The warnings to the White House, which have not previously been reported, led national security adviser Robert O’Brien to caution Trump in a private conversation that any information Giuliani brought back from Ukraine should be considered contaminated by Russia, one of the former officials said.

The message was, “Do what you want to do, but your friend Rudy has been worked by Russian assets in Ukraine,” this person said. Officials wanted “to protect the president from coming out and saying something stupid,” particularly since he was facing impeachment over his own efforts to strong-arm Ukraine’s president into investigating the Bidens.

But O’Brien emerged from the meeting uncertain whether he had gotten through to the president. Trump had “shrugged his shoulders” at O’Brien’s warning, the former official said, and dismissed concern about his lawyer’s activities by saying, “That’s Rudy.”
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I may have forgotten to link it or I did and I'm forgetting I did, but Giuliani's own daughter is telling everyone to vote for Biden.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2020/1 ... -for-biden
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

What exactly is the "disinformation" theory? Is it that (A) Russia (or someone else) forged the emails altogether; or (B) Russian hackers (or someone else) illegally obtained real emails that were then fed to Giuliani? Because if scenario A happened, I think you'd see a lot more forceful denials from Hunter and/or the Biden Campaign about the veracity of the emails. Scenario B seems significantly more likely, but I wouldn't call "true information obtained though illegal means" disinformation. If that were the case, the NY Times published disinformation in its stories about Trump's tax returns. Also the cover story about the Delaware repair shop seems pretty easy to disprove if Giuliani or the NY Post just made it up.

I think the emails are likely legit, based on their content and the response from the Biden campaign. But I don't see them having a big impact on the election absent something more damaging than what's come out. You would have to be extraordinarily naive to not realize that Hunter Biden was making all that money by selling the perception of access to his father. But perceived access isn't the same thing as real access, and even real access doesn't guarantee that you get what you want. So unless Joe was taking a personal cut of the money (which seems very unlikely) or concrete evidence came out that he changed US policy for the worse because of Hunter's dealings, I don't see this making much of a dent.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm reminded of the Damon Wayans stand up bit from the 90s about him becoming a dad and the realization that there is no way to be sure that you've raised kids right because "one will be a doctor and the other will be a crackhead" when it comes to the Bidens.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Joe K wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:52 am I think the emails are likely legit, based on their content and the response from the Biden campaign.
Read that NPR story. The story is bullshit. Hunter Biden took a laptop to a repair shop and never picked it up. The Shop Owner (who isn't sure who dropped it off) then passed it along to the FBI and Guiliani. Who then took then passed the story along to an ex Hannity producer, who got it published in the Murdoch owned NY Post. And the story was hinted at a month or so ago by Steve Bannon.

Sure....

Here's more: The truth behind the Hunter Biden non-scandal
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

What is Pence going to do when JFK Jr is announced today as Trump's running mate?

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:34 am
Joe K wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:52 am I think the emails are likely legit, based on their content and the response from the Biden campaign.
Read that NPR story. The story is bullshit. Hunter Biden took a laptop to a repair shop and never picked it up. The Shop Owner (who isn't sure who dropped it off) then passed it along to the FBI and Guiliani. Who then took then passed the story along to an ex Hannity producer, who got it published in the Murdoch owned NY Post. And the story was hinted at a month or so ago by Steve Bannon.

Sure....

Here's more: The truth behind the Hunter Biden non-scandal
Right, but has Hunter Biden, the Biden Campaign, or for that matter, anyone else copied on the published emails actually denied that they are real? Aren't some of Hunter's business partners copied on them? That should make it pretty easy to determine if said emails exist or not and to explicitly deny their authenticity if they're actually fake. As I said, it's not hard to believe that Giuliani obtained them through questionable and/or illegal means, but that doesn't meant the emails themselves are forgeries.

Joe Biden is pretty lucky in a sense that he's running against Trump, because if he were facing a "normal" Republican like Romney, McCain or Bush I think this would be a bigger problem for him. Not that this is unfair -- Trump can't spend years calling the media "the enemy of the people" and all that bullshit and expect to be treated like those other guys would. That'd be like Curt Schilling posting his "a rope, a tree, a journalist" meme and wondering why he hasn't gotten the same treatment from HOF voters as Mike Mussina and Roy Halladay.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I like this. Good shit.

psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Trump continue to entice Violence.

Barron said Trump has a plan to declare himself the winner early on the 3rd and if Biden comes back to get violence started.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Well done steelworkers...well done
https://www.businessinsider.com/united- ... Insider%29

Best Steel Mill thing I have seen since
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Funny, lots of people working at the Post thought they were bogus.