Hey Bronto (Or Jeeves)...Thoughts about Suspension Trainers/TRX

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Hey Bronto (Or Jeeves)...Thoughts about Suspension Trainers/TRX

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Anyone have experience/purchased TRX or equivalent? Missing the gym with Covid, don't have any free weights (or really space to put them in the house). Have a good ab wheel, jump rope, pull up bar., and my very nice indoor bike trainer..but was thinking about investing in TRX. I have seen a bunch of good work outs, done a few things at the gym (but not much as I felt very silly in public trying some of the exercises). Also think the Mrs. wlu_lax will use it (and maybe the kids..but not a priority).

1.) Anyone have a bit of experience?
2.) Just another piece of home equipment that will get dust?
3.) Will I destroy my doors/door frames if I don't anchor to a stud or equivalent?
4.) any recommendations on type (seems like there are tiers on the products)
5.) Seems like you don't have to pay for TRX Brand premium based on what I have seen on ebay/amazon..but will a knockoff be knockoff quality (or are substitute brands that will do the trick).
P.D.X.
The Dude

Re: Hey Bronto (Or Jeeves)...Thoughts about Suspension Trainers/TRX

Post by P.D.X. »

It was my preferred workout method before I quit the last gym I was a member of. It would also be the first thing I'd buy for a home gym if I had a place to install one.

It's also just web strapping with handles and hardware. Just about as easy a thing to knock off that there could be.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Got one for my son a few years ago. We've only broken it out a few times, including twice during this quarantine. It's versatile, but I wouldn't say I love it. Some exercises are much harder than they look like they should be. But the various leg ones we've tried have all been too easy. Doing pushups/chest on it really hurts my left elbow, so that's why I haven't used it more.
Totally Kafkaesque
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I bought these rings here which are now unavailable of course

I have beams in my garage I attached them to. great for isometric holds and hangs + chinups, inverted rows and flys/pushups. I've never anchored rings or a TRX to a door, so I can't speak to that.

they are not great for lower body workouts unless you get creative. but you might as well save that brainpower and get a good set of furniture sliders instead. you can use those for hamstring curls/reverse or lateral lunges/etc and get a good workout that makes you engage your core
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Thanks

Found non-TRX suspension trainer that looked pretty good and was way cheaper ($~30 instead of $200). Kids and wife are excited to use them. Clearly on the slow path from NC to Northern VA as they have been just chilling in Hagerstown (just about an hour from my house) for the last few days and are not planned for delivery until Friday.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

What did you get? I tried a TRX style bodyweight row, hanging from my over the door pull-up bar this weekend, and damn near strangled my hands by wrapping them with the hanging straps. I could maybe get by with tying a knot in my straps, but if there's a cheap option with actual handles, I think that would be preferable.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:46 am What did you get? I tried a TRX style bodyweight row, hanging from my over the door pull-up bar this weekend, and damn near strangled my hands by wrapping them with the hanging straps. I could maybe get by with tying a knot in my straps, but if there's a cheap option with actual handles, I think that would be preferable.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vulken-Suspens ... 1cSoXihu1w

There are a bunch of options out there. Some a very close knockoffs of TRX (down to the box and markings on the straps). I decided to have some respect for intellectual property and go with ones that were not yellow and black. But if you look you can find "Pro 3" that look very similar to the TRX ones.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 12:48 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:46 am What did you get? I tried a TRX style bodyweight row, hanging from my over the door pull-up bar this weekend, and damn near strangled my hands by wrapping them with the hanging straps. I could maybe get by with tying a knot in my straps, but if there's a cheap option with actual handles, I think that would be preferable.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vulken-Suspens ... 1cSoXihu1w

There are a bunch of options out there. Some a very close knockoffs of TRX (down to the box and markings on the straps). I decided to have some respect for intellectual property and go with ones that were not yellow and black. But if you look you can find "Pro 3" that look very similar to the TRX ones.
Thanks!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Bronto! Low ceiling basement cardio machine for the winter?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:54 pm Bronto! Low ceiling basement cardio machine for the winter?
Erg
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

mister d wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:54 pm Bronto! Low ceiling basement cardio machine for the winter?
row?

Loving my smart bike trainer and Zwift
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:57 pm
Erg
That’s what I’m ordering later this month. Concept2 has a 9-10 week waiting list before you can place an order, and my estimated order day is Oct. 30. Plan accordingly, Mr. D.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Sabo wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:23 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:57 pm
Erg
That’s what I’m ordering later this month. Concept2 has a 9-10 week waiting list before you can place an order, and my estimated order day is Oct. 30. Plan accordingly, Mr. D.
They're great. I was never in better shape than when I rowed.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I feel like I would fuck my back up on a rower.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

We were able to find an elliptical with a low enough step that I don't hit my head on the basement ceiling. The highest point is 4 inches off the floor, lowest step I found. We also got a cheap rowing machine off Amazon for like $150. No frills, but it works great. It has a counter and timer and a knob to increase resistance, but that's all you really need.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Link me that elliptical.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:48 pm I feel like I would fuck my back up on a rower.
Only if you row like an asshole
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I mean ... probably?
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:17 pm
mister d wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:48 pm I feel like I would fuck my back up on a rower.
Only if you row like an asshole
Look who you are talking about!
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:54 pm Link me that elliptical.
Lifefitness X1

If you really want to go crazy, my friend can't stop raving about the Tonal system. It's like a home gym system combined with classes like Peleton. It's stupid expensive, but takes up very little space. https://www.tonal.com/ Pre-COVID, I was enjoying their store in the Short Hills Mall. Sitting with the kids in the mall concourse waiting for my wife and someone went into Tonal and the female employee was giving a demo, doing squats with her back to the glass wall of the store. No joke the greatest ass I've ever seen, wearing tight yoga pants. Kids were laughing. My daughter started laughing and asked why they would set it up to have the woman's butt facing the window, I said to sell equipment. My wife is obsessed with the concept of Mirror, which is like a two-way TV screen that you do classes, and for apartment dwellers, it doubles as a full length mirror when not in use. Genius idea, also super expensive with ongoing class fees.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

how low are the low ceilings we're talking about here

we're building a home gym in the basement as it gets remodeled. we already have a treadmill and a bike and I've been stocking up on weight equipment as it goes on sale

also, a pro tip for anyone who is building a home gym -- go to your local farm supply store (I realize this may not apply in the swamps of jersey) and get rubber barn/horse stall flooring. waaaaay cheaper than "gym" flooring. I got two 5x10 sections of rubber flooring for the gym for $200.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Mad low. 6'9.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I would go with a good spin bike, but I also like the bike because I can read while I pedal unless I'm doing intervals or something
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Any recs? And would recumbent be too boring / low effectiveness?
Last edited by mister d on Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

what's the budget?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Budget is "as low as we can go without sacrificing quality or longevity"? I'd rather pay more upfront to not have to pay again later, but I'm also not looking at like Peloton levels.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

mister d wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:03 am Budget is "as low as we can go without sacrificing quality or longevity"? I'd rather pay more upfront to not have to pay again later, but I'm also not looking at like Peloton levels.
Do you own a bike that you can put on a trainer?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I do, but I was hoping for something with full tracking and maybe a screen to watch or platform to read and also that we could use interchangeably.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

plus his bike won't fit
bike.jpg
bike.jpg (25.15 KiB) Viewed 487 times
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

We have a similar issue and even less clearance in the portion of our basement where we could put equipment without blocking anything. I'm pretty sure I confirmed at some point that an elliptical would never work. I wonder if a recumbent bike would get used by anyone around here other than me.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

mister d wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:35 am I do, but I was hoping for something with full tracking and maybe a screen to watch or platform to read and also that we could use interchangeably.
The advantage of that is fit and variety. The screens can be mimicked with basic apps on tablet/phone. You also get wider variety of price points for features. Dumb trainers with a cadence and/or power sensor you put on the pedal to smart trainers that have way more bells and whistles.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/fitness/t ... pes-371785
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:52 am Mad low. 6'9.
Nice.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

rass wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:41 amI wonder if a recumbent bike would get used by anyone around here other than me.
We could be the Recumbent Boyz and we would definitely not allow anyone to play the ... game with any of our posts.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Alright, upright bike coming tomorrow. Any app suggestions for something that has tracking but maybe skews more towards riding through cities or places or whatever versus competitive classes with very annoying fit people shouting at me?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

mister d wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:10 pm Alright, upright bike coming tomorrow. Any app suggestions for something that has tracking but maybe skews more towards riding through cities or places or whatever versus competitive classes with very annoying fit people shouting at me?
My wife really likes the Bowflex bike we bought if you haven’t already made a purchase I can link you some info tomorrow.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

mister d wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:10 pm Alright, upright bike coming tomorrow. Any app suggestions for something that has tracking but maybe skews more towards riding through cities or places or whatever versus competitive classes with very annoying fit people shouting at me?
The first one is old school dvds and videos. There are ton of old training things like this before the smart trainer became a thing. Bet lots are on youtube too. The big one in this was a Baltimore-based guy/company called Spinervals. Their content is still out there.
https://completetri.com/cycling-dvds-an ... s-reviews/

You can get the Peleton app for your phone. Not integrated but you can still do the spin class workouts with the pretty people

Strava is hooked up to a bunch
https://www.strava.com/apps/indoor

Not sure if your setup will work but maybe if you add a power meter and cadence tracker you can make them work (I know there are ways to do it but have never gone down the path).
https://road.cc/content/feature/best-in ... pps-255118

This looks like it has some options for non-smart trainers
https://www.mensjournal.com/health-fitn ... n-w480409/

I am addicted to Zwift. It is fantastic, hits all of the right gamification to keep me riding. It also hosts tons of events and races. I know folks who like Trainer Road, Sufferfest, and Rouvy. However most of them upgraded their gear and/or switched to zwift.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The bike I got at the end of November is 70% more expensive now. Talk about reading the market!