Among Us

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

govmentchedda
The Dude

Among Us

Post by govmentchedda »

Anyone else's kids completely obsessed?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Among Us

Post by A_B »

Fuck and yes.

And does not appreciate my “fungus among us” jokes.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Didn't know what the icon on my phone was til this thread. Now but dad I'm the imposter makes some tiny bit of sense from the weekend.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:30 pm Fuck and yes.

And does not appreciate my “fungus among us” jokes.
Equal levels of Dad jokes going on over here. My oldest and youngest played it the entire 12 hour drive to RVA a few days ago.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

absolutely...
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Only like 14 hrs a day
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

They played so much the other day that I went to see if the company was listed on some stock exchange somewhere, because this shit is going to explode even more. Their website shows three employees.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Yes, and I really don't comprehend how it is fun. At all. I played a couple rounds to see what he was talking about, and it plays like a late 80s early 90s game, there is no point, and then you randomly guess who the imposter is based on nothing. When he went to sleepaway camp, they played Mafia every night, which is basically like a real-life version of Among Us. They though that was the greatest game. We tried to play Mafia on our weekly extended family Zoom night. The kids loved it, the adults were just confused because there is no strategy and no point to the game, other than kids freaking out and screaming because their sibling/cousin/parent/grand parent voted them out. Adults all agreed to never play again, kids all whined.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:03 am Yes, and I really don't comprehend how it is fun. At all. I played a couple rounds to see what he was talking about, and it plays like a late 80s early 90s game, there is no point, and then you randomly guess who the imposter is based on nothing. When he went to sleepaway camp, they played Mafia every night, which is basically like a real-life version of Among Us. They though that was the greatest game. We tried to play Mafia on our weekly extended family Zoom night. The kids loved it, the adults were just confused because there is no strategy and no point to the game, other than kids freaking out and screaming because their sibling/cousin/parent/grand parent voted them out. Adults all agreed to never play again, kids all whined.
Try Ultimate Werewolf/One Night Ulitmate Werewolf. Fun spin on Mafia.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:03 am Yes, and I really don't comprehend how it is fun. At all. I played a couple rounds to see what he was talking about, and it plays like a late 80s early 90s game, there is no point, and then you randomly guess who the imposter is based on nothing. When he went to sleepaway camp, they played Mafia every night, which is basically like a real-life version of Among Us. They though that was the greatest game. We tried to play Mafia on our weekly extended family Zoom night. The kids loved it, the adults were just confused because there is no strategy and no point to the game, other than kids freaking out and screaming because their sibling/cousin/parent/grand parent voted them out. Adults all agreed to never play again, kids all whined.
This is exactly what it is. It is huge on Twitch right now. It will fall off the radar in a couple of months. Same thing happened to Fall Guys.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:00 pm Didn't know what the icon on my phone was til this thread.
Ha ha. Same.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

AOC streamed on Twitch playing this.

Code: Select all

https://m.twitch.tv/videos/776770697
(It won't embed properly so I put it in code for you to copy/paste.)
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

My oldest watched a bit live last night, and the entire thing today. He's got a thing for both Among Us and AOC. Pretty sure Ilhan was on there too. Smart fucking move on her part.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:48 pm My oldest watched a bit live last night, and the entire thing today. He's got a thing for both Among Us and AOC. Pretty sure Ilhan was on there too. Smart fucking move on her part.
Yup. Ilhan, Hasan Piker, and YouTubers Charlie White (Penguinz0) and Pokimane were also on there.

It got an insane amount of views.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:35 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:48 pm My oldest watched a bit live last night, and the entire thing today. He's got a thing for both Among Us and AOC. Pretty sure Ilhan was on there too. Smart fucking move on her part.
Yup. Ilhan, Hasan Piker, and YouTubers Charlie White (Penguinz0) and Pokimane were also on there.

It got an insane amount of views.
I'm so old, I don't understand any of this. People watched Congresswomen play the lamest game of all time live streamed? With guys famous for posting youtube videos of themselves playing video games? Kids today...
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Well, I watch people play board games, so I'm not one to talk.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:01 am Well, I watch people play board games, so I'm not one to talk.
And sometimes I watch people play baseball or soccer or football instead of playing it myself.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This is the analogy I (mostly unsuccessfully) try to convince myself with, that I invest in watching sports while others think that’s stupid.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

There are people that watch indoor drone racing. Seems insane to me, but, yeah, my watching football might seem insane to other people.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I am sure back in the day there were cycling fans wondering why anyone would watch motorcycle racing or horse racing fans wondering why car racing would be interesting....but we are in a world where NBCSN shows the auto auctions over top level soccer games.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:11 am I am sure back in the day there were cycling fans wondering why anyone would watch motorcycle racing or horse racing fans wondering why car racing would be interesting....but we are in a world where NBCSN shows the auto auctions over top level soccer games.
That's because they put soccer on streaming platforms we have to pay for. I get the analogy to watching sports, but I feel like e-sports are more equivalent to watching someone watching sports than playing.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:13 am
wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:11 am I am sure back in the day there were cycling fans wondering why anyone would watch motorcycle racing or horse racing fans wondering why car racing would be interesting....but we are in a world where NBCSN shows the auto auctions over top level soccer games.
That's because they put soccer on streaming platforms we have to pay for. I get the analogy to watching sports, but I feel like e-sports are more equivalent to watching someone watching sports than playing.
The e-sports players are definitely doing something competitive that involves skill. They're not watching. And I’m pretty sure the telecasts don’t show the players themselves much, rather what’s happening on the screen.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:28 am
The e-sports players are definitely doing something competitive that involves skill. They're not watching. And I’m pretty sure the telecasts don’t show the players themselves much, rather what’s happening on the screen.
Right and as F1 has shown most of that auto racing is done by the nerds not the drivers.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:28 am
I know, and I'm not criticizing anyone who watches, I've been made fun of for watching soccer for 30 years, but I still see a huge difference between watching someone play a sport vs watching someone play a video game. Seems an extra step removed, but that's just me. My daughter used to bitch when we'd have to go to Jets games and she missed her soccer games. "Why would anyone want to watch someone else play a sport?" Yet, she is thrilled to go to soccer games. Hell, she is begging to go to the HS girls varsity games, but it's partially because her social studies teacher is the coach.
-Pruitt
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

I have Twitch running in the background during my work day. Don't always watch, but listen to whatever stream I have on. I would much rather watch someone play a video game at this point in my life then I would enjoy watching someone play a sport. I just don't give a shit about sports at this time in my life. I always will watch matches from the LCS on YouTube or the LCS homepage. Not only do I enjoy it, but I also get tips and tricks to implement when I play.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I didn't realize until this thread that Among Us was such a big deal. My son (HS senior) plays with his friends a lot. Didn't know it was blowing up, Fortnight style.
Totally Kafkaesque
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

The best thing these game companies do is to get the top streamers to do a sponsored stream of their game. That gets a shit ton of views. People seem them all having fun and want to play the game. And top streamers that aren't doing sponsored streams want to jump in on the hype and start streaming the game. And the sheeple follow along. Especially the kids. Never know if there is a chance to play with Pokimane or Ninja or someone else like that.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Hello fellow kids, I'm a ride or die bitch for Ed Markey Playing Spelunky 2
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Watching other people play video games is bad. Having to listen to their screams of joy (?) echo throughout my house is enough to take a hammer to an xbox. Incessant screaming. At least the boy is on headphones when he is playing. When he watches I get 55 inches of seizure inducing flashes lighting up the living room and surround sound that really lets you eardrums experience their teenage shrieks.

Almost played among us last night. Tried to bond with the girl and this was her suggestion. Didn't make it long enough to fill the room up.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Watching other people play sports is bad. Having to listen to their screams of joy (?) echo throughout my house is enough to take a hammer to a television. Incessant screaming by commentators (or unnecessary whispering, looking at you golf and tennis).

On a serious note, I don't watch teenagers play video games. The only exception is when they are on a League team. At that point I have to listen to the unnecessary screaming and hype of the commentators. It could be worse. I could be listening to Doc. Who am I kidding, I don't watch fucking hockey.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Kind of related... The Wife absolutely hates the sound of European soccer games... I had become so use to the din, I just kind of blocked it out.

It's actually pretty fucking annoying.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:58 pm Kind of related... The Wife absolutely hates the sound of European soccer games... I had become so use to the din, I just kind of blocked it out.

It's actually pretty fucking annoying.
Heh. To me, that's a big part of the watchability. Quiet soccer is boring if you don't have much of a stake in the outcome.

Vuvezelas, on the other hand ...
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Different stokes I guess... Kinda like the slightly ghoulish background chants interrupted by polite clapping and understated commentary.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

To clarify, I liked to turn up the volume... If you're not watching, which she never was, it's pretty annoying.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:06 pm To clarify, I liked to turn up the volume... If you're not watching, which she never was, it's pretty annoying.
Oh hell yes, it's annoying for someone not watching.