The Dude

Re: Proud Parental Unit Crowing Thread

Post by DaveInSeattle »

That's so cool...
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:19 am Very cool...how many trolls have started commenting on her form or other negative views? In today's world seems like my expectations on social media risk goes up
Only one or two comments. Very cool that she retweeted, my daughter's view of her did a 180. We listened to he memoir on a car trip (remember those?) a couple years ago, and Lloyd's own version of events made her out as a horrible person. My daughter said, "can we listen to something else, I don't like her." She talked about her falling out with her parents and numerous breakups with her lifelong boyfriend. Just hearing her side, even a 9 year old thought her parents were right to kick her out of the house and cut ties.

Anyways, I think we are going to watch Social Dilemma on Netflix so my kids understand the dangers of social media. Seeing the excitement of daughter checking the views every 5 minutes was a bit concerning, but I get her excitement and didn't want to crush that. I also felt a bit bad for my son, as he can barely kick a 10 yarder, and he's been trying for years. He took it well, and reluctantly asked his sister for advice on his technique, because he sure won't listen to me.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Got the drivers license for the youngest today. Now road legal alone. One of the harder parts of being a parent and having had the oldest already do it doesn't make it any easier!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:18 am Got the drivers license for the youngest today. Now road legal alone. One of the harder parts of being a parent and having had the oldest already do it doesn't make it any easier!
I felt my stomach drop just reading this. Really can't imagine the day I let my kids drive by themselves. Or worse, with friends.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Yeah, yikes. My very driven (no pun) 14 year old is already setting aside money from her current part-time job to go towards a car. Gonna make her buy my then 10-year-old, beat up Outback.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Fine line but a drink on the couch while kid drives themselves to practice, school, outings has to dull some of the worry. Even if not it does lessen the likelihood of aggravated dui changes when you drive em anyway... Not I of course.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

It's nice to have the kid be able to drive places by themselves, and maybe run some errands for you. But, it is also one more thing to worry about. Mine turns 20 this week, and I still worry about her driving.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Yes guess I'm on the other side so grass looks a lot greener.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

rass wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:32 pm Yeah, yikes. My very driven (no pun) 14 year old is already setting aside money from her current part-time job to go towards a car. Gonna make her buy my then 10-year-old, beat up Outback.
My 17yo daughter just basically comandeered what used to be my wife's car. And my wife comandeered what used to be mine.

So now I have all kinds of excuses not to run errands or pick anyone up.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

So....I'm now 2 for 2 with daughters having to go to the hospital for eating disorders. My oldest came home from Gonzaga on Sunday, after her friends and room mate basically staged an intervention with her. She went to the doctor on Monday, and was admitted to the hospital last night. They are trying to get her heart rate and blood pressure back up, and are trying to get her caloric input back into the normal realm.

I guess its lucky that this happened now, so that she can continue doing classes online. And its really lucky that she came home when she did...and didn't collapse in her apartment in Spokane.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

That’s rough, Dave. Best to you and your daughter.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:24 am So....I'm now 2 for 2 with daughters having to go to the hospital for eating disorders. My oldest came home from Gonzaga on Sunday, after her friends and room mate basically staged an intervention with her. She went to the doctor on Monday, and was admitted to the hospital last night. They are trying to get her heart rate and blood pressure back up, and are trying to get her caloric input back into the normal realm.

I guess its lucky that this happened now, so that she can continue doing classes online. And its really lucky that she came home when she did...and didn't collapse in her apartment in Spokane.
I’m glad she chose good friends, Dave. We’re thinking of her and you.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

thoughts to you and your daughter DiS
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:24 am So....I'm now 2 for 2 with daughters having to go to the hospital for eating disorders. My oldest came home from Gonzaga on Sunday, after her friends and room mate basically staged an intervention with her. She went to the doctor on Monday, and was admitted to the hospital last night. They are trying to get her heart rate and blood pressure back up, and are trying to get her caloric input back into the normal realm.

Lemme know if you recognize any warning signs. I worry about my daughter because she doesn't grub like she could (maybe not should). She's pretty clearly aware of her eating habits and I have no clue about this stuff and really can't relate at all. She's growing up way more privileged than I was so brings a lot more socialized mental health issues into her mind that probably wouldn't exist otherwise. Good luck to your daughters recovery.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Scary DiS, good luck to you guys
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That's rough.

Good luck to your family.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Positive thoughts to you and yours Dave.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Sending best wishes to you and her.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

That must be so hard for you all. Good luck, Dave.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:05 am

Lemme know if you recognize any warning signs. I worry about my daughter because she doesn't grub like she could (maybe not should). She's pretty clearly aware of her eating habits and I have no clue about this stuff and really can't relate at all. She's growing up way more privileged than I was so brings a lot more socialized mental health issues into her mind that probably wouldn't exist otherwise. Good luck to your daughters recovery.
Sorry you are going through this, Dave. I'm in Citgo's camp here. My 11 yo keeps asking if she is fat, which really concerns me. She eats normal, and very active. She doesn't watch much TV, and only with me or my wife, and she isn't on social media, as we are trying to keep her a kid. I'm sure stuff comes from other kids at school. Like Cerrano said, it's great to hear that she has such good friends that they were willing to intervene.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Good luck, DiS.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Sorry to hear that Dave.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Sorry to hear Dave.

We, too, are a bit worried about our college-age daughter and her eating habits. Among other things.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Thanks for the good thoughts everyone.

Its tough...she's was 'chunky' when she went away to school, but figured out about diet/exercise (or so I thought). She has a really bad diary allergy, so she has started eating a pretty much vegan diet, and she lost a lot of weight.

When I dropped her off in August, we had a talk where I said "look...you've gotten really skinny...I'm concerned. You need to eat".

So hopefully this is the 'shock to the system'...and she gets some things sorted out.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I had a high school classmate like that. We went to the same college, but didn't see each other more than maybe once a semester. I remember spring semester sophomore year thinking she had become ill she had lost so much weight. Unfortunately, it was anorexia and she ended up passing away a few years later due to it. Will be rooting for your girl, Dave.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Man, that's scary. Sorry, Dave. And this is another reason why I'm happy to have had boys. They're dumb and all, but their problems and motivations are so simple to understand. Girls are hard.
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

My GF's daughter (the trail runner) has been working at HydroFlask for a couple of years now. Until a few months ago, the daughter's boyfriend (also a trail runner) was working there as well. Then he ended up at cross purposes with his boss, and was let go. This caused a lot of stress for everyone, since there are only so many options for Outdoor Gear Product Line Manager jobs in Bend, OR.

But...just yesterday he found out he's getting a job at Ruff Wear, which is also there in Bend, a company that makes outdoor gear for dogs.

www.ruffwear.com

Expect to see pictures of their dog Sky, a german short haired pointer, on the website soon.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

That’s awesome.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Senior discount?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

That is one of the few dog brands I know because you see it pretty frequently when hiking.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

My son just officiated his first 2 games tonight. They threw him in the deep end. He is 14 and did a u-12 and u-14 high level travel tournament. Had a few big decisions as the AR in the U-14 game. Really good mechanics, effort, and focus. Got compliments from his center.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:07 pm My son just officiated his first 2 games tonight. They threw him in the deep end. He is 14 and did a u-12 and u-14 high level travel tournament. Had a few big decisions as the AR in the U-14 game. Really good mechanics, effort, and focus. Got compliments from his center.
I umpired BR softball when I was 14-16. It was a great experience. I did some state tournament games. Was wild for a kid my age.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Nice. I'm sure seeing dad show him how it's done helps a lot.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:19 pm Nice. I'm sure seeing dad show him how it's done helps a lot.
To be honest, I can only help him on the professionalism aspect. Basically gave him the Look sharp and good (clean, neat, uniform), sell your calls at all time, put in full effort, have great mechanics, and some verbal judo stuff (if you have never read the book it is really good). I know soccer but don't know the real mechanics or technicalities of rules (that makes a big difference..as we saw the shitty job the crew did with Orlando/NYCFC last night).

But what I really thought was interesting was on the drive home he commented on "I get why you like officiating so much" and his self-evaluation of his two games. He saw what he could do better and what he did really well. And of course every call he made he felt complete confidence about (including a really big game winning goal keeping his flag down offsides decision).
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:30 pm But what I really thought was interesting was on the drive home he commented on "I get why you like officiating so much" and his self-evaluation of his two games. He saw what he could do better and what he did really well. And of course every call he made he felt complete confidence about (including a really big game winning goal keeping his flag down offsides decision).
That must be a tremendous feeling. Good job.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

C90FEE88-7B50-44F6-BCD7-E3DF4E209DCF.jpeg
C90FEE88-7B50-44F6-BCD7-E3DF4E209DCF.jpeg (80.89 KiB) Viewed 487 times
(That’s great man)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Unfortunately, my daughter is getting a lesson in adulting tonight and tomorrow morning.

She is coming home for Thanksgiving and not going back to UW in Seattle until January. Her flight left Seattle to San Francisco today at 3:45 pm. But, unfortunately, they had an unscheduled landing in Portland because of some mechanical issue. They were supposed to leave shortly thereafter, but got delayed and delayed and delayed. And, then the pilots exceeded the amount of hours they are allowed to be on the clock, so her flight from Portland to San Francisco got canceled completely. So, she had to wait in line, get a hotel voucher, ride the shuttle to the airport hotel, and check in to her hotel room. She's by herself and most all of this is new activity to her. She'll have to get up super-early tomorrow to catch her flight home. She's a very independant kid, so I know it will all go just fine, but I definitely feel for her. Her mother had prepared her favorite meal for dinner, and we ate it without her. Ah well. She'll like the leftovers!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:30 am Unfortunately, my daughter is getting a lesson in adulting tonight and tomorrow morning.

She is coming home for Thanksgiving and not going back to UW in Seattle until January. Her flight left Seattle to San Francisco today at 3:45 pm. But, unfortunately, they had an unscheduled landing in Portland because of some mechanical issue. They were supposed to leave shortly thereafter, but got delayed and delayed and delayed. And, then the pilots exceeded the amount of hours they are allowed to be on the clock, so her flight from Portland to San Francisco got canceled completely. So, she had to wait in line, get a hotel voucher, ride the shuttle to the airport hotel, and check in to her hotel room. She's by herself and most all of this is new activity to her. She'll have to get up super-early tomorrow to catch her flight home. She's a very independant kid, so I know it will all go just fine, but I definitely feel for her. Her mother had prepared her favorite meal for dinner, and we ate it without her. Ah well. She'll like the leftovers!
It’s good to see she can handle that. Though I’ll admit every step of that freaks me out Covid-wise.

I’d probably have driven it. But maybe not a young woman by herself.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

My daughter had a (Non-covid) experience last year, getting stuck in Washington, DC while trying to get back. First time ever in a hotel by herself and she nearly overslept for the flight the next day.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:20 am
sancarlos wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:30 am Unfortunately, my daughter is getting a lesson in adulting tonight and tomorrow morning.

It’s good to see she can handle that. Though I’ll admit every step of that freaks me out Covid-wise.

I’d probably have driven it. But maybe not a young woman by herself.
Yeah, the Covid aspect sucks. She just got a (negative) Covid test, and she spent very little time in the Seattle airport. We planned to pick her up at curbside, so the plane was to have been her only serious risk factor. But, now, there's all that time in the Portland airport, the shuttle, and the hotel, on top of it.
A_B wrote: she nearly overslept for the flight the next day.
I was concerned about that possibility, so I gave her a telephone wakeup call at 4:30 this morning.