Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: Podcasts

Post by govmentchedda »

BSF21 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:34 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:06 pm
BSF21 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:24 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:06 pm Katie Nolan has been the guest on the "All Fantasy Everything" the last 3 episodes (the topics: Crimes we'd like to commit, Voices, and Iconic Facial Hair). She's a great guest. Pretty quick with a joke, and has great chemistry with the other 3 guys.
Her podcast, Sports?, is super good and has a great community around it.
I have this thing where I need to start from E1 on podcasts.. There are just too many inside jokes you miss otherwise.

So, I started with her very first few and they were really funny, trying to name the podcast itself.

That said, she does a lot of very topical sports references, which makes going back that far kind of annoying. This is very much a me issue, but I can't really figure out a way to solve it.
I agree. It's very inside joke driven but topical as well. They just recently switched to a new 3rd man in, producer, extra guy, whatever you want to call it to co host with Ashley and Katie, so a few episodes back might be a not-too-intimidating jump in point. They also just announced they're going to 2 days per week coming up.
Any chance that 3rd man is Dave Lozo? He writes/wrote for her show, and was pretty good on Puck Soup before leaving.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:41 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:06 pm Katie Nolan has been the guest on the "All Fantasy Everything" the last 3 episodes (the topics: Crimes we'd like to commit, Voices, and Iconic Facial Hair). She's a great guest. Pretty quick with a joke, and has great chemistry with the other 3 guys.
I have this thing where I need to start from E1 on podcasts.. There are just too many inside jokes you miss otherwise.

So, I started with her very first few and they were really funny, trying to name the podcast itself.

That said, she does a lot of very topical sports references, which makes going back that far kind of annoying. This is very much a me issue, but I can't really figure out a way to solve it.
I agree. It's very inside joke driven but topical as well. They just recently switched to a new 3rd man in, producer, extra guy, whatever you want to call it to co host with Ashley and Katie, so a few episodes back might be a not-too-intimidating jump in point. They also just announced they're going to 2 days per week coming up.
Any chance that 3rd man is Dave Lozo? He writes/wrote for her show, and was pretty good on Puck Soup before leaving.
It is not and I also miss him on Puck Soup. Ryan Lambert does a nice job as a Lozo proxy just generally hating everything and Sean MacIdoe is there for some actual real hockey stuff. Still a great pod and a weekly listen + Patreon stuff for me.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

BSF21 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:52 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:41 pm

It is not and I also miss him on Puck Soup. Ryan Lambert does a nice job as a Lozo proxy just generally hating everything and Sean MacIdoe is there for some actual real hockey stuff. Still a great pod and a weekly listen + Patreon stuff for me.
Definitely. I'll even listen to the Stick to Sports episodes. They teased a ranking of songs from Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness right before Wysh went on vacation, but I have no clue where it is.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Same here. I have been stuck on episode 427 (they're up to 453) of The Dollop for a while because of football season adding a couple more podcasts to my regular listening. When I started, I couldn't only get them from something like #70 and on, but something happened to make the others available and I had to listening to the early ones I had missed from #1.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Gunna pass on this one too.

If it was just Dillon, sure. He's a silly comedian with dumb jokes.

But the other dude? Fuck all the way off.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

He should no longer be taken seriously. That's fucking offensive.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

What am I looking at?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Joe Rogan giving Alex fucking Jones the time of day.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Good lord, I didn't recognize Rogan there.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:57 am What am I looking at?
Joe Rogan with Alex Jones. I actually found the first Alex Jones episode funny. Jones got so drunk, his wife used clips in her custody hearing against him. The other guy is Tim Dillon. He is a comedian who says a lot of controversial things to get a rise out of people. I'm guessing he fed Jones' crazy conspiracy theories and got Jones all riled up. I don't think my current anxiety level can handle that one.

COVID is killing Rogan's podcast for me. He gets stuck on the same rants every episode, and it's getting really fucking old. I've cut back to about half of his episodes when he has guests I'm really interested in.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:01 pm Joe Rogan giving Alex fucking Jones the time of day.
He was friends with Jones for like 20 years. He always acknowledges Jones is a loon and most of his conspiracies are garbage, but says he is a fun guy to hang out with and letting him speak gives him rope to hang himself.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:07 pm
Giff wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:01 pm Joe Rogan giving Alex fucking Jones the time of day.
He was friends with Jones for like 20 years. He always acknowledges Jones is a loon and most of his conspiracies are garbage, but says he is a fun guy to hang out with and letting him speak gives him rope to hang himself.
Sounds like a good friend.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:07 pm
It'd be a lot better if no one gave him any airtime at all. Fuck Rogan, he's been friends with an evil piece of shit for like 20 years.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jones needs to be de-platformed, not amplified.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Today his guest is Glenn Greenwald. I'll probably listen to that.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:38 pm Today his guest is Glenn Greenwald. I'll probably listen to that.
Fuck. No.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Not sure about anyone else, I mean around here this timing probably makes me late to the game, but I think the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting was when I decided that our political system, maybe the entire country, is just broken. The lack of tangible action was part of that, but so was the conspiracy-mongering that came out of it and Jones was at the forefront of that. Fuck him, fuck Rogan.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

rass wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:45 pm Not sure about anyone else, I mean around here this timing probably makes me late to the game, but I think the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting was when I decided that our political system, maybe the entire country, is just broken. The lack of tangible action was part of that, but so was the conspiracy-mongering that came out of it and Jones was at the forefront of that. Fuck him, fuck Rogan.
Yeah, I have to admit that a number of my favorite comedians are part of his circle, and I enjoy when the turn up on his show. With that said, I only watch shorter clips on YouTube and haven't listened to his podcast for probably 5 years or so. (whatever it is, it's been awhile).

But I agree... Anyone giving Jones a platform is just choosing to ignore the truly evil shit he's done in the past. Being a Sandy Hook truther if fucking vile. The type of shit where you wish really bad shit to happen to that person.

But, if I'm honest with myself, I was watching his clips and ignoring his support of Jones. This is a good reminder why I stopped listening in the first place.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

4 years ago his "End of the World" election coverage was what I tuned into. It was him and every comedian at The Comedy Store on stage reacting in real time to the results.

This year he'll have Kyle Kulinski and Tim Dillon. (And maybe, but hopefully not Alex Jones.)

BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Yea I'll hop right on that Fuck Rogan train. The guy is a garbage human I've seen enough.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Funny, I watched the latest Comedy Store episode last night and he was featured.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:58 am Funny, I watched the latest Comedy Store episode last night and he was featured.
Oh yeah, I wanted to see that. What platform/channel is that on?
-Pruitt
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:45 am
Giff wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:58 am Funny, I watched the latest Comedy Store episode last night and he was featured.
Oh yeah, I wanted to see that. What platform/channel is that on?
Showtime
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

New Hardcore History was out yesterday. Listened to it while doing yardwork this morning.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Grant Wahl's new American Prodigy dropped this week. It is the Freddy Adu story. Part 1 did not really open up any new info for me. I am hoping Grant really dives into the stories that Alecko apparently was telling him over beers.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Anyone try out the new podcast from The Ringer called Gamblers? It sounds somewhat more interesting than their listicle podcasts, but I would want to know if it's any good before I put time into a Simmons-produced property.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:27 am Grant Wahl's new American Prodigy dropped this week. It is the Freddy Adu story. Part 1 did not really open up any new info for me. I am hoping Grant really dives into the stories that Alecko apparently was telling him over beers.
ooooh... that might be interesting...
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Futbol with Grant Wahl today is an interview with Sudekis and the guy who plays "Coach Beard". Just a good interview and there perspective, but the part I love is that they are buddies with John O'brien because he was at Ajax when they were living in Amsterdam. Met him in a bar watching NFL and playing pool.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Just started Chameleon: Hollywood Con Queen based on the storyteller Josh Dean being interviewed on The Press Box. So far, so good. It's about this weird con artist woman who tricks low level Hollywood workers into elaborate schemes.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:35 am
rass wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:35 am
So I listened to a good chunk of the first season while running last weekend, and it's pretty funny. It's a radio comedy sketch show set in a NJ suburb. Sort of lowkey absurd, and not overly Jersey, other than regular references to (and one episode set in) the Shoprite of Branchburg. My immediate comparison would have been "I Think You Should Leave Now" and Tim Robinson is in the first episode of season 2. So there you go.
Second season just ended last week, and while there was a second episode primarily set in the ShopRite i think it’s still pretty accessible not to mention really funny.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:20 pm Just started Chameleon: Hollywood Con Queen based on the storyteller Josh Dean being interviewed on The Press Box. So far, so good. It's about this weird con artist woman who tricks low level Hollywood workers into elaborate schemes.
I binged this over the weekend. VERY good. Way too many spoilers, but there's even an issue with how you've described the podcast. ;-)
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:32 am
Johnnie wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:20 pm Just started Chameleon: Hollywood Con Queen based on the storyteller Josh Dean being interviewed on The Press Box. So far, so good. It's about this weird con artist woman who tricks low level Hollywood workers into elaborate schemes.
I binged this over the weekend. VERY good. Way too many spoilers, but there's even an issue with how you've described the podcast. ;-)
Finished the first 3 episodes, and it's starting to get really bizarre.

As a side note, all levels of the entertainment industry are filled with scams. I've run into a bunch - nothing quite as weird as this - so it really is gripping.
[+] spoiler
Heather's agents are complete idiots. It's one thing for a trainer with no solid connections in the film industry to get burned, but one of the things you give agents and managers 10% for is to shield you from scams like this.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:44 am

As a side note, all levels of the entertainment industry are filled with scams. I've run into a bunch - nothing quite as weird as this - so it really is gripping.
[+] spoiler
Heather's agents are complete idiots. It's one thing for a trainer with no solid connections in the film industry to get burned, but one of the things you give agents and managers 10% for is to shield you from scams like this.
[+] spoiler
Yeah, those two are almost comical in their hysterics. And, yeah, it seems as though the con was so good that it duped a BUNCH of ppl that seemingly should've known better. I can't remember when they start to focus on it, but it's not just getting things listed on IMDB, it's also all the supporting documentation.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:15 pm
Pruitt wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:44 am

[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
Yeah, those two are almost comical in their hysterics. And, yeah, it seems as though the con was so good that it duped a BUNCH of ppl that seemingly should've known better. I can't remember when they start to focus on it, but it's not just getting things listed on IMDB, it's also all the supporting documentation.
[+] spoiler
I'd imagine that they're fairly small time agents. And to have a client - even one who doesn't earn you much commission fly halfway around the world without having the flight covered... a massive red flag.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

[+] spoiler
Here's the other thing... I don't know the timing of when Heather went over, so if it was near 2016 or so, I'll give them a pass. And maybe it's just that read a lot of longform articles or whatever... But I was very much aware of this story many years ago when it first made the rounds. I know it's not like everyone in Hollywood is on some big email or newsletter, but the Indonesian - Hollywood con story has been out there in multiple outlets.

It's why I'm a little surprised anyone over the last 2 years or so is still falling for it. But, again, this person was extremely good at playing on people's dreams AND having a pretty legit looking set-up.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A lot of the time I'm listening, I'm not in a position to stop and add a show (driving, doing yardwork, whatever)... So I'll do a "best of" search to see if I can find something that I can't quite remember the name of the show.

"Dead Eyes" is a perfect example. It's about a rather marginal actor that was cast onto the show Band of Brothers, only to have Tom Hanks (director) view his audition tape and nix him because of his "dead eyes." It may sound like a weird premise, but he interviews a bunch of noteworthy actors on his journey to figure out how everything went down, and what to learn from it.

Really really interesting and fun. He's mostly made his way as a comedian, so even though it could potentially veer into a dark place, he never really let's linger there.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:22 pm A lot of the time I'm listening, I'm not in a position to stop and add a show (driving, doing yardwork, whatever)... So I'll do a "best of" search to see if I can find something that I can't quite remember the name of the show.

"Dead Eyes" is a perfect example. It's about a rather marginal actor that was cast onto the show Band of Brothers, only to have Tom Hanks (director) view his audition tape and nix him because of his "dead eyes." It may sound like a weird premise, but he interviews a bunch of noteworthy actors on his journey to figure out how everything went down, and what to learn from it.

Really really interesting and fun. He's mostly made his way as a comedian, so even though it could potentially veer into a dark place, he never really let's linger there.
From something you said in the television thread. I have tried listening to Smartless and it has potential, but the hosts spend so much time fellating the guest telling them how amazing they are that they never ask a question. When the three of them (Sean Hayes, Jason Bateman and Will Arnett) break each other’s ball, it’s funny. But that doesn’t happen enough to make me listen to their horrible interviews. The one they did w Conan is good.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

bfj wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:29 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:22 pm A lot of the time I'm listening, I'm not in a position to stop and add a show (driving, doing yardwork, whatever)... So I'll do a "best of" search to see if I can find something that I can't quite remember the name of the show.

From something you said in the television thread. I have tried listening to Smartless and it has potential, but the hosts spend so much time fellating the guest telling them how amazing they are that they never ask a question. When the three of them (Sean Hayes, Jason Bateman and Will Arnett) break each other’s ball, it’s funny. But that doesn’t happen enough to make me listen to their horrible interviews. The one they did w Conan is good.
It's very hit-or-miss... I think they'd benefit from addition by subtraction by getting rid of Sean Hayes. As in, if they went down the path of just letting Bateman and Arnett give each other shit AND give more space to do a decent interview...

I have definitely bailed on certain episodes. Especially ones where it's an athlete (Kershaw and then the hockey player, that is escaping me.) Blech. Constant fellatio, no questions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"The Dictators" looks at, well, dictators through history. I am currently listening to the 3rd of 4 parts on Tojo) and am learning a lot.