Netflix Suggestions?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Rush2112
The Dude

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by Rush2112 »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:42 am Really enjoyed that series. I haven't been a gamer since the classic NES but now want to get one again so I can play the games I missed out on (ie I've never once played Zelda).
Get a raspberry pi and install an emulator.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:42 am
EdRomero wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:04 am I've really been liking High Score partly because I get to relive my childhood, but I'm learning some good stuff too. The info about developing Ms. Pacman, Madden, and fighting games is great. And watching footage of politicians being outraged at video game violence never grows old. "Kids shouldn't see blood in video games! Now let's go bomb the shit out of Iraq."
Really enjoyed that series. I haven't been a gamer since the classic NES but now want to get one again so I can play the games I missed out on (ie I've never once played Zelda).
For the love of God, never play Zelda. The worst.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Oh just spoil my 2nd childhood.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The GF and I have watched the first 3 episodes of 'Away'...the Netflix 'Lets Go To Mars' series.

So far...its Ok. A bit much on the family drama, rather then the Astronaut/Space side of things. But the 3rd episode with the Chinese scientist and her backstory was really well done, and kinda sad.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'm going to have to get over my dislike for Hilary Swank because I thought it looked really good despite her presence.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Giff wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:30 am I'm going to have to get over my dislike for Hilary Swank because I thought it looked really good despite her presence.
Hilarious. Verbatim what my wife said on our walk yesterday. (And I'm in the same boat.)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Elona Holmes was pretty damn good, and the girls both loved it. I know you could already argue that she’s a star but now we know she can carry a feature length film.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Started watching Great News and I'm really enjoying it. I don't know how I missed this when it was on NBC. Tina Fey executive produced, and it has her sensibility. Feels a bit like 30 Rock with Airplane! style gags sprinkled in. Takes place in a low rent cable news channel where the main character's overbearing neurotic Jewish mother, played by SCTV's Andrea Martin, takes an internship at her office and hilarity ensues. Its a goofball comedy, but the acting and writing are really good. Only 23 episodes, which is a shame, but they must not have done a good job promoting it. I vaguely remember seeing commercials for it, but they obviously didn't grab my attention.
-Pruitt
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

The cabin with Bert Kreischer is one of the more interesting shows i've watched lately. some of it feels forced, but some of it feels funny and real but im a sucker for watching comics talk.
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

TT2.0 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:28 am The cabin with Bert Kreischer is one of the more interesting shows i've watched lately. some of it feels forced, but some of it feels funny and real but im a sucker for watching comics talk.
Just watched the first episode last night. Definitely felt forced. 3 of my favorite comics/podcasters in the first episode, as Tom Segura and Joey Diaz were the guests. I wonder if I'd enjoy it if I didn't "know" the people. Especially the scenes where he Facetimes his wife. Hearing them banter on his podcast so much, there was just a lot unsaid going on, especially in her reactions. Great premise for a show, Bert lives in a cabin in the middle of the woods, invites comedian friends to join him for a couple days and they do some wacky things. The situations were ridiculous, like butchering an emu with chainsaws. I love watching Tom and Bert interact, but it was totally forced. Joey Diaz might be the funniest man alive, but there were very few Joey moments in there. I could have watched 30 minutes of Joey talking about sex in marriages with the spiritual healer woman. Some great guests coming up, really looking forward to seeing Ms. Pat. If you haven't seen Ms. Pat, definitely check her out. I'd recommend a podcast interview or listening to her read her book. Knowing her life story might be necessary to truly appreciate her standup.
-Pruitt
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:42 am
TT2.0 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:28 am The cabin with Bert Kreischer is one of the more interesting shows i've watched lately. some of it feels forced, but some of it feels funny and real but im a sucker for watching comics talk.
Just watched the first episode last night. Definitely felt forced. 3 of my favorite comics/podcasters in the first episode, as Tom Segura and Joey Diaz were the guests. I wonder if I'd enjoy it if I didn't "know" the people. Especially the scenes where he Facetimes his wife. Hearing them banter on his podcast so much, there was just a lot unsaid going on, especially in her reactions. Great premise for a show, Bert lives in a cabin in the middle of the woods, invites comedian friends to join him for a couple days and they do some wacky things. The situations were ridiculous, like butchering an emu with chainsaws. I love watching Tom and Bert interact, but it was totally forced. Joey Diaz might be the funniest man alive, but there were very few Joey moments in there. I could have watched 30 minutes of Joey talking about sex in marriages with the spiritual healer woman. Some great guests coming up, really looking forward to seeing Ms. Pat. If you haven't seen Ms. Pat, definitely check her out. I'd recommend a podcast interview or listening to her read her book. Knowing her life story might be necessary to truly appreciate her standup.
The deon cole anthony anderson episode is phenominal...the joey diaz is the worst of the bunch.
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

TT2.0 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:59 am
The deon cole anthony anderson episode is phenominal...the joey diaz is the worst of the bunch.
I want to echo what Syb said about the stuff with Bert and his wife (LeAnne). I've just heard them talk to each other too much to buy those Facetimes.

Looking forward to getting into more episodes.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:25 am Started watching Great News and I'm really enjoying it.
I really enjoyed that when it was on, and Briga Heelan is sneaky hot.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Rush2112 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:39 am
The Sybian wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:25 am Started watching Great News and I'm really enjoying it.
I really enjoyed that when it was on, and Briga Heelan is sneaky hot.
Nicole Richie was surprisingly funny playing herself.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Queen's Gambit is a strange story, interestingly told.

Just finished episode 2 of 7 and am liking it.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Pruitt wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:29 pm The Queen's Gambit is a strange story, interestingly told.

Just finished episode 2 last night, and the lady, who knows nothing about chess, is enjoying it along with me.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Mr. Mercedes is available on Peacock now. Pretty good series based on a really enjoyable series of Stephen King books. I’m almost done season 1 now.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:19 am
I want to echo what Syb said about the stuff with Bert and his wife (LeAnne). I've just heard them talk to each other too much to buy those Facetimes.

The Miss Pat episode was hysterical to me. The worst was Bobby Lee (he is unbearable) and Donnell Rawlings. That’s saying something considering one episode had Kaitlyn Jenner as a guest.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

bfj wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:16 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:19 am

The Miss Pat episode was hysterical to me. The worst was Bobby Lee (he is unbearable) and Donnell Rawlings. That’s saying something considering one episode had Kaitlyn Jenner as a guest.
Three episodes in, and this has been a huge disappointment so far. Such a great concept for a show, but damn Bert is trying way too hard. The Bobby/Donnell episode was just Bert and Bobby being naked and doing gross stuff to freak out Donnell. The Leann Facetimes are getting progressively more painfully scripted and fake. Everything about this show is scripted or way too much effort trying to make nothing moments funny. That said, I'll probably watch the rest because I really like the guests. Caitlyn was slightly interesting at times, but mostly annoying and took away from Nikki Glaser's screen time. Ms. Pat in the woods is worth checking out for sure.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Anybody watch Money Heist? It's a show from Spain dubbed into English. I'm 6 or 7 episodes in, and it is so damned good. A guy builds a team to rob the Royal Mint of Spain. It follows the action as they take the mint and hostages, flashes back to their training, and follows the police negotiator working the case. It's shot more like a movie than a TV show. There are 4 seasons out, one more coming soon.

I thought I heard about the show here, but didn't find anything. Maybe it was Roger Bennett on Men in Blazers talking about it. My father texted saying it's better than Ozark, which is an all-time favorite of his. I wouldn't go that far yet, but he says it kept getting better. Also odd, he asked which female lead I like the most. 4 female main characters, all are sexy, but none traditionally beautiful.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Can't wait for the follow-up text from your mom when she asks you how to say "just blow the dye pack on my face" en espanol.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:35 am Can't wait for the follow-up text from your mom when she asks you how to say "just blow the dye pack on my face" en espanol.
How DARE you!
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If it makes you feel any better, I think “dye pack” was a euphemism for semen.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Real question is what "face" was a euphemism for and why I felt writing "face" was less dirty than any other option...
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Sarah Cooper - the comedian who became famous for lip synching Trump speeches - has a special on Netflix.

It is bizarre and really creative.

A crazy set up and while some of it fell flat, there's enough strangeness to make it worthwhile if you like absurdity. Try it after some edibles.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I've enjoyed the bits of Anne with an E that I've seen whilst my kids have watched.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Pruitt wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:51 am Sarah Cooper - the comedian who became famous for lip synching Trump speeches - has a special on Netflix.

It is bizarre and really creative.

A crazy set up and while some of it fell flat, there's enough strangeness to make it worthwhile if you like absurdity. Try it after some edibles.
Watched. She's super charming, but the show wasn't that great. A good idea and pretty good execution, but it just wasn't consistently funny.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

She’s funny on Twitter but that doesn’t always translate.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Secrets of the Saqqara Tomb

You're welcome.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Project Power - This one was fun. Nothing earth-shaking, but it was a fun twist on super hero stories, and Jamie Foxx has gotten to where I think I'd watch him read a phone book.

Uncut Gems
- It was well-made and Sandler does a really great job. But as others have pointed out, it's kind of a stressful watch and not one you're likely to want to watch again even though it was good.
Totally Kafkaesque
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Wine Country was very enjoyable. I'm a sucker for Maya Rudolph.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

My wife and I started watching Queen's Gambit the other night. Two episodes in and I'm sold.
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

EnochRoot wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:46 pm My wife and I started watching Queen's Gambit the other night. Two episodes in and I'm sold.
A really gorgeous show to watch. And worth following.
[+] spoiler
Although by episode 7 it starts to feel a bit padded out. Could have been better as a 4 parter, but still interesting.
dem3pigs
Jackie Treehorn

Post by dem3pigs »

Pruitt wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:29 pm The Queen's Gambit is a strange story, interestingly told.

Endorse this. Watched it and I thought it was a good original story.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Was doing the typical scroll through everything what do I want to watch I don't feel like committing to a movie or to a new series WTF do I even pay for this shit and came across this series and remembered hearing about it and clicked on it and yeah there was an episode on REM's Losing My Religion. I like that song and the episode was only 26 minutes long! Play!

The interviews with the four band members all seemed to be recent, and they either played part of their contribution to the song or the interviewer played it for them while recounting the time and place of the song and the making of the album. Stipe's reaction to his isolated vocals was a highlight, as was Bill Berry's to
[+] spoiler
being reminded that there were hand-claps in the song.
Recommended
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

rass wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:20 pm Was doing the typical scroll through everything what do I want to watch I don't feel like committing to a movie or to a new series WTF do I even pay for this shit and came across this series and remembered hearing about it and clicked on it and yeah there was an episode on REM's Losing My Religion. I like that song and the episode was only 26 minutes long! Play!

The interviews with the four band members all seemed to be recent, and they either played part of their contribution to the song or the interviewer played it for them while recounting the time and place of the song and the making of the album. Stipe's reaction to his isolated vocals was a highlight, as was Bill Berry's to
[+] spoiler
Recommended
Thank you. I’m going to watch this over my AM coffee. Better than Frasier reruns.
Noli Timere Messorem
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Pruitt wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:57 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:46 pm My wife and I started watching Queen's Gambit the other night. Two episodes in and I'm sold.
A really gorgeous show to watch. And worth following.
[+] spoiler
Although by episode 7 it starts to feel a bit padded out. Could have been better as a 4 parter, but still interesting.
We finished it last night, and highly enjoyed it. Anya Taylor-Joy as the prodigy was excellent.
[+] spoiler
In the last episode, I was considering whether Borgov was going to defect by the discussion Beth and the State Department guy had on the plane.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Liking it as well. Some hard chessing going on. (Although irl they would probably resign a lot sooner rather than acting all shocked when they get mated like they didn't see it coming.)
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

rass wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:20 pm Was doing the typical scroll through everything what do I want to watch I don't feel like committing to a movie or to a new series WTF do I even pay for this shit and came across this series and remembered hearing about it and clicked on it and yeah there was an episode on REM's Losing My Religion. I like that song and the episode was only 26 minutes long! Play!

[+] spoiler
Recommended
Thanks for the heads up on that. I've always enjoyed that podcast, but had no idea it was a series now, and that was great seeing them talk about that song in depth.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:16 pm

[+] spoiler
Recommended
Thanks for the heads up on that. I've always enjoyed that podcast, but had no idea it was a series now, and that was great seeing them talk about that song in depth.
Switched on Pop is a similar podcast that is really good.