NFL week 8

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Gunpowder
The Dude

Re: NFL week 8

Post by Gunpowder »

BSF21 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:25 am I'll regret this and I bet my homerism is showing, but 27-30 in the IND/DET game is just bonkers to me. I don't think DET cracks 20 on them.

I mean they technically did crack 20 but essentially you were right on about this one.

My model did however tell me to stay away from Green Bay, which was nice of it, but we still ignored it anyway and put it in the the parlay. However, the Raiders and Browns made that a moot point by failing to even come within squinting range of the over.

So far I'm 6-6 this week, which is great if this is actually just a bad week and not a typical week. #1 bet (Raiders) and #3 bet (Seahawks/Niners over) hit at least.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:34 pm GPJ, I notice you predict Denver as a 1 point winner over the Chargers, but choose the Chargers in the survivor prediction. Not that I'm getting on either bet, but I'm wondering about the anomaly?

(And, speaking as a Denver fan, if they win this game I'll be pleased, but very surprised.)
Probably not exactly the way anyone predicted it would go but hey, nice surprise for you!
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

rass wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:34 pm
EdRomero wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:18 pm The qb fake slide should be a penalty.
Not sure who the officiating expert was on that game (Blandino?) but he didn’t want to touch that point when the announcer kept asking about it
Who did a fake slide? That's a garbage move that be made illegal immediately.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Rush2112 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:27 pm
Johnnie wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:05 pm
Rush2112 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:52 am Rumors circulating that Gilmore is being shopped, and now the always telling "his house is on the market" info is leaking out.
What the hell? They just gave him a bonus this year.

Does this stem from the Covid stuff with him and Cam and the ensuing drama around it?
More they can get an extra pick out two and have extra cap.

Yeah it would seem like sell high on an aging asset to me. The bonus is just spreadsheet stuff to the GM.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Wentz decision making on that play that led to the fumble was pretty inexplicable. Was genuinely shocked he allowed himself to take that hit.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Gunpowder wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:37 pm
Not sure who the officiating expert was on that game (Blandino?) but he didn’t want to touch that point when the announcer kept asking about it
It was Wilson (assuming Romero and all are talking about the same play) and he sort of made another move at the same time that he started to slide that resulted in him being upright longer than might be expected but the defender hit him in the head so...
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Russell Wilson.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I’m an Eagles fan. What the hell is your guys’ excuse for watching this?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

rass wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:41 pm Wentz decision making on that play that led to the fumble was pretty inexplicable. Was genuinely shocked he allowed himself to take that hit.
Have you been watching Carson Wentz recently? He is the crown prince of inexplicable decisions.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

rass wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:44 pm
It was Wilson (assuming Romero and all are talking about the same play) and he sort of made another move at the same time that he started to slide that resulted in him being upright longer than might be expected but the defender hit him in the head so...
Yeah, that was the play. I remember seeing it since Favre and I don't understand how it hasn't been addressed. It's a safety issue and it puts defenders in an impossible situation.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

EdRomero wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:11 pm
rass wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:44 pm
Yeah, that was the play. I remember seeing it since Favre and I don't understand how it hasn't been addressed. It's a safety issue and it puts defenders in an impossible situation.
Just watched it. He should get fined and stripped of the Mr. Unlimited nickname.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

The Eagles would play to a one score game against both the '85 Bears and a local high school team.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

What if I told you there is an NFC East team that is even worse and you get to see them on TV tomorrow?
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

brian wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:38 pm Ronnie Stanley picked a hell of a good week to sign his extension.
Ownership is looking for their receipt. Sucks to see.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Rex wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:49 pm What if I told you there is an NFC East team that is even worse and you get to see them on TV tomorrow?
Worst 30 for 30 pitch ever.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Doug Pederson putting the ball in Wentz's hands on 4th and 1 was quite something. Dallas Scott has been gashing huge runs all game but...sure, Wentz it up. Good call.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That Bills defence is atrocious.

But Cam Newton is atrociouser.

On the one hand, it's kind of sad to see the state of the Patriots...

But no it isn't. That team has nothing going for it on the field.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Pruitt wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:09 pm

save it for Tuesday
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Pruitt wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:09 pm On the one hand, it's kind of sad to see the state of the Patriots...

But no it isn't. That team has nothing going for it on the field.
They pushed a lot ahead to make the last push of SBs and no matter what I think 2020 was going to be a shitty year. Then COVID, opt-outs, plus the losses on both sides were going to hurt. Then Harry not being all that great and the lack of anything at TE, ya it was going to be shitty. Glad they're making most of the games entertaining as well, but some good draft picks and lots of cap room should lead to a quicker turnaround.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Assuming they start drafting a lot more good players, at least
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

They are going to need a QB. Newton is clearly not the answer.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:01 am They are going to need a QB. Newton is clearly not the answer.
This bums me out so much.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

They have nothing else on offense and 50 players out. He's not the answer but Brady would still be chucking his helmet into the bench after every drive if he was here.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

L-Jam3 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:18 am
Pruitt wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:01 am They are going to need a QB. Newton is clearly not the answer.
This bums me out so much.
It's really depressing to watch because he says and does all the right things and seems like a great guy, but his throwing motion looks so messed up. It reminds me of when I tried to play tennis with a shoulder injury and every motion was awkward as I was expecting pain or more injury each time I served (or maybe it's something else -- his mindset and athleticism may be a little different that my declining tennis days).

I still have a hope that their offensive line and running game can do some damage and steal some wins. Other than the San Fran game, they had a chance to win the games they lost. On the other hand, the defense is looking pretty depleted and untalented too.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:04 pm I’m an Eagles fan. What the hell is your guys’ excuse for watching this?
Fantasy. I had Fulgham playing against Wentz in essentially a tied game, so I was enjoying the hell out of watching Wentz cough up the ball and make stupid decisions all game.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Looks like they were right to trade away Garoppolo, though. He looks bad in SF, despite playing in as QB-friendly a system as he’ll ever find. Shanahan gets the bulk of the blame for the 4th quarter of last year’s Super Bowl but that team was so dominant on both lines that they just needed moderately competent QB play to win the title and Jimmy couldn’t deliver that when it mattered.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

EdRomero wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:47 amIt's really depressing to watch because he says and does all the right things and seems like a great guy, but his throwing motion looks so messed up. It reminds me of when I tried to play tennis with a shoulder injury and every motion was awkward as I was expecting pain or more injury each time I served (or maybe it's something else -- his mindset and athleticism may be a little different that my declining tennis days).
Aside from your last caveat about my athleticism relative to Newton's, 100%. I saw some replays and he looks how I look throwing a baseball now, where a very deliberate motion is ok but anything outside of that can be the one that pops it and causes pain for the rest of the week.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Rex wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:15 pm
Pruitt wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:09 pm

save it for Tuesday
I found this post enjoyable, thank you.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:17 am
EdRomero wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:47 amIt's really depressing to watch because he says and does all the right things and seems like a great guy, but his throwing motion looks so messed up. It reminds me of when I tried to play tennis with a shoulder injury and every motion was awkward as I was expecting pain or more injury each time I served (or maybe it's something else -- his mindset and athleticism may be a little different that my declining tennis days).
Aside from your last caveat about my athleticism relative to Newton's, 100%. I saw some replays and he looks how I look throwing a baseball now, where a very deliberate motion is ok but anything outside of that can be the one that pops it and causes pain for the rest of the week.
Its the return of Tim Tebow.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:38 am
mister d wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:17 am
Its the return of Tim Tebow.
I watched some of the SEC Network pregame saturday and Tim Tebow is worse at Zoom than he is at throwing a football.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I wonder how long it would take for the Patriots sucking for a "typical" Pats fan to acknowledge their success was due to a one-in-a-lifetime confluence of a an all-time great QB and a great defensive coach and not some "mystique" now that the former is gone and the latter is past his prime and a few weeks away from retirement.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

And also knowing opponents' play calls.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Ill give him more than six months post-brady. I think he'll be ok and has earned the run of the farm fuck a leash. I'll give cam an off-season before judgment on him too. Still think he's broken but his play doesn't bother me so much. If they were 5-2 with brady would they be closer to a superbowl? Answer is no. Same problems. Now they can fix.
Last edited by HaulCitgo on Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

side note, people calling it "the rona" makes me laugh almost every time
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

brian wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:46 am I wonder how long it would take for the Patriots sucking for a "typical" Pats fan to acknowledge their success was due to a one-in-a-lifetime confluence of a an all-time great QB and a great defensive coach and not some "mystique" now that the former is gone and the latter is past his prime and a few weeks away from retirement.
I don't see him retiring soon. He's in coaching nerd heaven with lower expectations, a bunch of guys he'll try to coach up, more cap space and roster flexibility coming up than he's had in years; and he's coaching with his sons and former players he likes. Unless the Krafts panic and try to intervene too much or do something stupid, I think he's staying.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

rass wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:11 pm

Someone call Weird Al. Change change the "I" to an "A" and he has a hit.

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

EdRomero wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:14 pm
rass wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:11 pm

Someone call Weird Al. Change change the "I" to an "A" and he has a hit.

Weeird al got waaaay out in front saying it was too serious to make jokes about when people were calling for an update on "My Bologna".
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

EdRomero wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:12 pm
brian wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:46 am I wonder how long it would take for the Patriots sucking for a "typical" Pats fan to acknowledge their success was due to a one-in-a-lifetime confluence of a an all-time great QB and a great defensive coach and not some "mystique" now that the former is gone and the latter is past his prime and a few weeks away from retirement.
I don't see him retiring soon. He's in coaching nerd heaven with lower expectations, a bunch of guys he'll try to coach up, more cap space and roster flexibility coming up than he's had in years; and he's coaching with his sons and former players he likes. Unless the Krafts panic and try to intervene too much or do something stupid, I think he's staying.
He's definitely going of his own accord, whenever that is -- that goes without saying. I don't follow the Pats like you but I just get the sense that he's ready to ride off into the sunset. Sticking around for a bunch of 7-9/8-8 seasons is only going to (very slightly) tarnish his legacy and I think he cares more about that than coaching up some 7th rounder from Southern Illinois into a little bit better than replacement-level.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The more seasons he doesn't win without Brady the more you can say "he never could do it without Brady".
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:23 pm The more seasons he doesn't win without Brady the more you can say "he never could do it without Brady".
Exactly.