The Captain Trips Anxiety thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: The Captain Trips Anxiety thread

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:51 pm What fucking parents are allowing their kids to have a party? And really amazing that three sets had the same stupid idea.
Town FB forum is lighting up the parents. My wife is furious with this family, and frankly I don't see how we can be friendly with them moving forward. My wife is on a call, but I've been setting up testing appointments for her. County is doing a spit test site tomorrow, thinking about bringing the whole family for that, but I'm supposed to be attending a conference.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Sorry for stepping on your post, Ed, that really sucks. It's clear how much you care about those kids, and it's a shitty situation.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Ed, I’m really sorry. That sounds tough.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Sorry EdR. I know you're more concerned about the kids, but spare a thought for yourself from time to time, too.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sorry to hear, Romero.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Sorry, Romero. Thoughts.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Sorry, Ed. That’s awful.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Sorry Ed and AB.

One of my closest friends tested positive yesterday. He’s not exactly the picture of health, so I’m worried sick. Was supposed to be on his back porch watching football last Sunday but bailed to get some shit done around the house.

This thing is coming back with a vengeance in our area. We’ve gone from minimal active cases to a whole lot in just two weeks. Take care everyone, because this winter is going to be tough.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Square Rob wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:04 am Sorry Ed and AB.

One of my closest friends tested positive yesterday. He’s not exactly the picture of health, so I’m worried sick. Was supposed to be on his back porch watching football last Sunday but bailed to get some shit done around the house.

This thing is coming back with a vengeance in our area. We’ve gone from minimal active cases to a whole lot in just two weeks. Take care everyone, because this winter is going to be tough.
My office has had three confirmed positives in the past two weeks. Now, do they tell us that or do we find out about it by accident? I'll let you decide. Anyway, the whole IT department was sent home, but no one else, not even the people on the same floor who shared a restroom with the dude.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Thanks guys. The dramatically increasing Covid rates is kinda taking over my employment anxiety, especially with my brother and nieces coming from Oklahoma for Thanksgiving to stay with my mother in her two bedroom condo for the week. And the personal stories AB and Square Bob post brings it home. Fuck money, stay healthy.
Last edited by EdRomero on Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

EdRomero wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:39 am Thanks guys. The dramatically increasing Covid rates is kinda taking over my employment anxiety, especially with my brother and nieces are coming from Oklahoma for Thanksgiving to stay with my mother in her two bedroom condo for the week. And the personal stories AB and Square Bob post brings it home.
Oh man, really? I'm a little anxious for you now...

We spend Thanksgiving with my family, and we had been leaning towards staying home for a while. When our dog got sick and had surgery last month that gave us another excuse just in case anyone got pissy. But my sister, who would have hosted, and mom decided last week that my parents travelling the 6 hours to Pittsburgh didn't make sense right now, so this will be just my second Thanksgiving spent without my parents.

EdRomero wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:39 am Fuck money, stay healthy.
Straight masks, homie.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

EdRomero wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:39 am Thanks guys. The dramatically increasing Covid rates is kinda taking over my employment anxiety, especially with my brother and nieces are coming from Oklahoma for Thanksgiving to stay with my mother in her two bedroom condo for the week. And the personal stories AB and Square Bob post brings it home. Fuck money, stay healthy.
Yeah I took shit from opposing counsel but I just canceled depositions scheduled for next week. I don’t want to meet with clients or spend hours in a room with people who are being way less careful than my wife and I are.

I’m actually glad at this point that my daughter had Covid in September, so she’s either immune or way less likely to catch it again yet.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:51 pm What fucking parents are allowing their kids to have a party? And really amazing that three sets had the same stupid idea.
As stories are coming out, it gets crazier. Parents let their 14 yo 9th grade daughter invite 25 friends. Estimated 50-75 kids show up, kids reportedly broke a window and climbed through "and more kept piling in" according to a friend who spoke directly to the home owner. Parents were home the entire time AND BOUGHT BEER!!!! For 14 year olds! Imagine kids break your window to sneak in and you let them stay! This was actually in a neighboring town that we combine students with for HS, so I don't know the family, but I know 4 or 5 kids that tested positive already.

Entire HS is on 14 day quarantine. School is fully remote, all sports cancelled, and they are all in championships or playoffs, so all forfeiting and effectively ending the season of every sport because of these selfish, idiotic fuckers. I'm really hoping the health department levies fines or a parent brings charges for serving minors. My wife saw a screenshot from the neighboring town's FB forum from a mother who "forcibly entered the home against the owners' wishes and removed some kids." She described the basement as "kids packed like sardines." She said she didn't call the police, "because we all know how that goes, but I am taking care of this. My way!" Curious what that means. She was boasting that she "instilled fear into the owners" and "was the only parent to step up to the plate." Fucking great, wish you called the cops, Rambo.

I heard the girl posted some sort of public apology to the entire school on social media. I really hope this family and all the kids at the party truly understand how many lives they fucked with. I'm sure the positive cases will continue to spread from this. I also know the younger sister of one of the positive kids tested positive. She plays on the middle school field hockey team, and their season was cancelled. I'm expecting the call that they will close the middle school, too, which had my daughter hysterically crying. My wife told her it would just be for 2 weeks, and she is home for one of those weeks anyways, but she responded that they said 2 weeks in March, and never went back. Can't really argue with that logic.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:54 am This was actually in a neighboring town that we combine students with for HS, so I don't know the family, but I know 4 or 5 kids that tested positive already.
And here I was thinking that BH was on the wrong side of the tracks in that relationship.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:05 am
The Sybian wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:54 am This was actually in a neighboring town that we combine students with for HS, so I don't know the family, but I know 4 or 5 kids that tested positive already.
And here I was thinking that BH was on the wrong side of the tracks in that relationship.
No way, they are all Hill People on the other side of the Watchung Reservation.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Jesus. We had a safe house in HS, but it wasn't when we were 14 and it wasn't open or mass invite.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, one of the weirder trends I noticed with my kids is that there were (are) parents that just say fuck it and let these parties happen.

It's insane, especially now that there are laws on the books (here) that hold parents liable if something awful happens due to one of these ragers.

Back in my day, you found a house where the parents were out of town, or you found a parking lot or open field or park and scattered when the cops came. Having a parent in the house during a high school party happened ZERO times.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Un-freaking-believable!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:48 amYeah, one of the weirder trends I noticed with my kids is that there were (are) parents that just say fuck it and let these parties happen.
Sooo ... the flipside is unless you live in a pretty small footprint town or a legit city, this means kids are on the road. Its the "they're going to do it so lets make sure they're safe" sex ed logic.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:33 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:48 amYeah, one of the weirder trends I noticed with my kids is that there were (are) parents that just say fuck it and let these parties happen.
Sooo ... the flipside is unless you live in a pretty small footprint town or a legit city, this means kids are on the road. Its the "they're going to do it so lets make sure they're safe" sex ed logic.
That was my parents' logic. If it was cool with my friends' parents, my folks let my small circle of friends and me drink in our home.

But, Covid changes everything. Or, at least, it should.
Last edited by sancarlos on Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:33 pm
My point is more that it's insanely risky for parents to host, not a public health discussion on which was/is better.

But I'd also say we almost never drove anywhere and drank. You either had a DD (nerd), or we hoofed it to whatever locale was deemed that night's spot. Not saying this is plausible/feasible everywhere, but that's how we rolled.

I came up at the height of MADD/SADD. We were well and truly spooked about dying in a crash.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Our school district is up to five of six buildings with a hit. Congrats to my son for being in the last one standing. Regrets to my daughter, as her middle school finishes as the runner-up. Her friend's mom was contacted for contact tracing purposes due to a teacher being positive. Our daughter is in the other cohort for hybrid instruction, so we have reason for optimism, but are awaiting the school district's text, email, and voicemail to update us.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Just got a robocall from our Mayor. Due to the increase in cases in town, she is prohibiting all participation in organized sports for 2 weeks. Does that include my daughter's out of town team? I can't imagine that is enforceable and I don't think she has the authority to do that.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:13 pm Just got a robocall from our Mayor. Due to the increase in cases in town, she is prohibiting all participation in organized sports for 2 weeks. Does that include my daughter's out of town team? I can't imagine that is enforceable and I don't think she has the authority to do that.
If you don't go along, you'll be on double secret probation.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:13 pm Just got a robocall from our Mayor. Due to the increase in cases in town, she is prohibiting all participation in organized sports for 2 weeks. Does that include my daughter's out of town team? I can't imagine that is enforceable and I don't think she has the authority to do that.
It clearly can't apply to that.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:18 pm
It clearly can't apply to that.
She just posted on FB "Effective today, I have SUSPENDED all organized sports for [Town] residents."

I'm doing a tennis class through the town rec dept. Got an email saying all Rec Dept classes are cancelled for 2 weeks with no makeups. Tennis officially ended, but we had one makeup class scheduled for Monday. Rec Dept sent a second email 5 minutes later saying the suspension didn't apply to our tennis class, we can finish. Very weird carve out, but OK.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:48 pm Our school district is up to five of six buildings with a hit. Congrats to my son for being in the last one standing. Regrets to my daughter, as her middle school finishes as the runner-up. Her friend's mom was contacted for contact tracing purposes due to a teacher being positive. Our daughter is in the other cohort for hybrid instruction, so we have reason for optimism, but are awaiting the school district's text, email, and voicemail to update us.
Email came, 6-for-6. All schools will remain open due to the details to their varying situations.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So my niece in Atlanta is Covid +. She goes to a private school where they have been in person and testing. Rest of the family tested negative. But makes me way less excited they are planning on driving to DC for Thanksgiving. I have already pissed off my wife and said no inside or meals with them. Now it is hard masks on and distance...

It was bound to happen, they have been way to lax in their behaviors and letting the kids do stupid stuff.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:13 pm So my niece in Atlanta is Covid +. She goes to a private school where they have been in person and testing. Rest of the family tested negative. But makes me way less excited they are planning on driving to DC for Thanksgiving. I have already pissed off my wife and said no inside or meals with them. Now it is hard masks on and distance...

It was bound to happen, they have been way to lax in their behaviors and letting the kids do stupid stuff.
Three private schools in town are currently in some sort of partial/total school from home due to cases. It's weird that in a hotspot putting a bunch of people together turns out to be a bad idea. Public schools are home until January at the earliest, I believe.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

We are now up to 18 positive HS students from the one party, and 4 middle school and one elementary school. Unclear if younger ones are party related, but I know one is the sister of a party goer. All other schools to stay open. I read a leaked letter from a group of teachers they are submitting tonight to media outlets. It is brutal, and I can't disagree. Basically, we can't expect the teachers to risk their health teaching our kids when parents are so fucking stupid they let their kids go to large indoor parties. If the parents and kids can't be trusted to act with common sense and avoid high risk activities, the teachers refuse to go in. This should be fun.
-Pruitt
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

I'm leaning towards accepting a job as an ABA Behavior Technician. It's a pay cut from the job I'm losing and going into students' homes during Covid is nerve wracking. On the other hand, I really don't want to be unemployed, it will be wonderful not being in a management position for a bit, and the job market for this field is so much better than what I'm leaving and most other job options.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Just got a call from my son's school saying he was exposed to someone who tested positive last Wednesday. Seems a bit odd, as he was remote school that week, and his X-Country practices were cancelled after Monday. Not sure if the school gave us the wrong date or what. My wife is trying to figure out if its from the kid she gave a ride to last Monday, but the kids mother is being all coy and avoiding questions. Last week when the shit first got out, my wife reached out and she ignored the questions by asking how we like our new house. I had to text the father to get info. My wife asked point blank, we'll see if she gets a response. My wife always has bad allergies this time of year, but if the kid she drove was positive, she wants to get tested. Just fucking tell us, lady.

Been trying all afternoon to get my son a test, but testing place that requires an appointment is booked through next week, and I called the walk in clinics, and they ran out for the day. The only one I can't confirm had 14 people in front of me on the phone queue. I've called them for various things in the past, never been put on hold before. Really fucking frustrating. I don't know if I even need to get my son a test, it's already been a week or 9 days since his exposure, and they asked him to quarantine for one week which isn't a big deal, except we got the call while I was taking him to an ortho appointment, so he was in the ortho office for over an hour. Masked in the waiting room, but obviously not while in the chair.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Am I the only person that is totally freaked out the numbers (already going up rapidly) are going to SKYROCKET after Thanksgiving, due to people saying 'Well...I gotta get together with my family!' and then driving 2 states over and having dinner inside with 20 relatives?
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:45 pm Am I the only person that is totally freaked out the numbers (already going up rapidly) are going to SKYROCKET after Thanksgiving, due to people saying 'Well...I gotta get together with my family!' and then driving 2 states over and having dinner inside with 20 relatives?
That’s why I already canceled my Thanksgiving plans. Gonna be a two-person Thanksgiving meal at the Sabo household.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Sabo wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:56 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:45 pm Am I the only person that is totally freaked out the numbers (already going up rapidly) are going to SKYROCKET after Thanksgiving, due to people saying 'Well...I gotta get together with my family!' and then driving 2 states over and having dinner inside with 20 relatives?
That’s why I already canceled my Thanksgiving plans. Gonna be a two-person Thanksgiving meal at the Sabo household.
I’ve done same. Mrs. Sabo and I are expecting a nice meal.

But yeah it’s bad. I’ve already spoken with my wife and we are scaling way back to April levels in terms of engagement outside of work. It’s gotta happen or we all gonna get it. We had another positive in my office on Friday.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Just our family for Thanksgiving this year. But, we'll set up a FaceTime with a couple family members who'll be by themselves elsewhere. Remote family gathering!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Wife and I have spent the last several Thanksgivings alone amongst ourselves. It's my favorite holiday, but it's not that bad. There are plenty of positives. Can wear sweatpants all day (helps after eating dinner especially). I can swear at the Lions as much as I want without anyone thinking I'm a lunatic (YMMV on that positive). We typically will throw in a good movie trilogy after the Lions game ends around 1 p.m. Did Indiana Jones last year.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Completely agree, it's gotten extremely bad. I kind of wish the media did a better job showing what a bad case of COVID looks like. I think people got complacent with numbers being low, and not hearing much about hospitals and the serious effects. Most people seem to think if they get it, they'll be fine, so they aren't taking the same kind of precautions. Back in February - April, I was terrified of getting it, now I'm just afraid of passing it on to someone else who might get it bad. I don't have any comorbidities, I rarely get sick, and I'm taking vitamin D. I'm still taking precautions, but the fear isn't there. Factor in the 40% of people who believe the President, and we are fucked. Just today when our Mayor posted the huge increase in new cases today, a Trump-loving guy I know responded with "when are you going to tell people this is just the flu? You get a fever and the flu. How many are in hospitals?" Same guy is on a rampage on Facebook today, until I had to block him. Considering we've had 59 deaths in town (albeit mostly nursing homes), I'm sure that is going to really hurt a lot of people who lost friends and family.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Semi-related, but we just got word (on facebook) that the family of one of my wife's cousins in the St. Louis area have decided to go ahead and again host their big annual extended family Christmas party, in their home. Most years there are about 40-50 attendees, from toddlers to the very elderly. And, from the responses on fb, it looks like they'll get a big turnout. Mind you, the wife and two of the four kids in the host family have already had the coronavirus, but they're not even fazed about hosting this party. (It probably goes without saying but most of this group will be big Trump supporters.)

We sent our regrets.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:19 pm Semi-related, but we just got word (on facebook) that the family of one of my wife's cousins in the St. Louis area have decided to go ahead and again host their big annual extended family Christmas party, in their home. Most years there are about 40-50 attendees, from toddlers to the very elderly. And, from the responses on fb, it looks like they'll get a big turnout. Mind you, the wife and two of the four kids in the host family have already had the coronavirus, but they're not even fazed about hosting this party. (It probably goes without saying but most of this group will be big Trump supporters.)

We sent our regrets.
Tip off the local authorities.

We host Thanksgiving every year. We were trying to figure out a way to do something outside. We bought heat lamps, and figured we would pick the warmest day between Wed - Sunday to do something. Now that it's gotten so bad, we aren't even going to try. If they are smart, they will make the schools full remote until mid January, because I hear a lot of people saying they are travelling or having family over for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
-Pruitt