NCAA Football 2019 --> Offseason --> 2020

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: NCAA Football 2019 --> Offseason --> 2020

Post by govmentchedda »

Whoopin' at the cocktail party
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Looks like there’ll be a new #1.
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

CMU still undefeated while Clemson has a loss, just like I would have called it last February.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

If Lawrence can travel with the team, stand on the sideline with the team, and lower his mask to exhort on the team, why would the NCAA not just let him play?

No wonder our local health departments have to fight with HS football moms when kids are in quarantine.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

And this?

duff
Donny

Post by duff »

That is why St. Joe and Elkhart Counties are again the hottest spots in Indiana/Midwest. And by hottest, I mean Covid cases. FUCK ND!
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Man, Kirk Ferentz hates PJ Fleck something awful and I’m here for it.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:28 pm Man, Kirk Ferentz hates PJ Fleck something awful and I’m here for it.
Is PJ Fleck actually Black?
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I like the trees in the stands at Stanford
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:27 pm I like the trees in the stands at Stanford
Shoot. Oregon puts them on the floor.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:42 pm
rass wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:27 pm I like the trees in the stands at Stanford
Shoot. Oregon puts them on the floor.
Well, everyone does in basketball
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Enjoyed that one
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

It is mid November and Colorado is undefeated.

Only played two games but, hey...
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

UNM is 0-3 (as is almost always the case) but at least they've been in the games!
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Florida State is going to have their third straight losing season. It's pretty mind boggling what's happened to that program.
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Rush2112 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:59 am UNM is 0-3 (as is almost always the case) but at least they've been in the games!
Utah hasn't played a game yet.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Shirley wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:02 pm Florida State is going to have their third straight losing season. It's pretty mind boggling what's happened to that program.
It's kind of telling, I don't even think about checking to see if they've lost again. I don't think I'd even seen a score from them since they beat UNC.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

phxgators wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:16 pm
Shirley wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:02 pm Florida State is going to have their third straight losing season. It's pretty mind boggling what's happened to that program.
It's kind of telling, I don't even think about checking to see if they've lost again. I don't think I'd even seen a score from them since they beat UNC.
And that game was the flukiest of flukes for them. They had a great first half, built up a big lead, and have been absolute shit ever since.

I've always wanted to look at a graph of wins (or maybe win%) of the three big Florida schools (Miami, UF, FSU) over the past 3-4 decades alongside marks of when other Florida schools (UCF, USF, FIU, etc) moved up to FBS. My theory is that there will be a direct correlation to the drop off for all three, or at least to when they became occasional powers instead of consistent. Even in Florida, there's only so much talent to go around.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Shirley wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:38 am
And that game was the flukiest of flukes for them. They had a great first half, built up a big lead, and have been absolute shit ever since.

I've always wanted to look at a graph of wins (or maybe win%) of the three big Florida schools (Miami, UF, FSU) over the past 3-4 decades alongside marks of when other Florida schools (UCF, USF, FIU, etc) moved up to FBS. My theory is that there will be a direct correlation to the drop off for all three, or at least to when they became occasional powers instead of consistent. Even in Florida, there's only so much talent to go around.
You'd have to normalize it for shitty coaches, though.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

A_B wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:45 am

On the other hand, it's easy to look like a coaching giant when you're running a 3-deep of NFL players like those schools used to.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Shirley wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:46 am
A_B wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:45 am

On the other hand, it's easy to look like a coaching giant when you're running a 3-deep of NFL players like those schools used to.
A good point. And I guess the other new FBS schools weren't exactly running Bear Bryant out there.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

VIrginia had a starting defensive lineman enter the transfer portal yesterday. Apparently it caught the coaches off guard. I've never heard of a healthy, starting, borderline star, player quitting and transferring in the middle of a season.

https://247sports.com/college/virginia/ ... 154958295/
Totally Kafkaesque
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Shirley wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:27 am VIrginia had a starting defensive lineman enter the transfer portal yesterday. Apparently it caught the coaches off guard. I've never heard of a healthy, starting, borderline star, player quitting and transferring in the middle of a season.

https://247sports.com/college/virginia/ ... 154958295/
There's been more and more of this in 2020. Can't find other instances now, but COVID ain't helping teams keep people. Pretty sure the Gators gained (maybe it was lost) someone because he wanted to be closer to home. Wanna say the kid's grandfather was dying, which was why he wanted to go elsewhere so he could watch him play, then grandpa died and he's transferring to Gainesville. I could have that completely wrong though.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The loosening of restrictions on the transfer portal is going to make things haywire. Players who don't play at powerhouse programs will look to move to other schools for playing time, powerhouse schools will look to poach good players from smaller programs by pushing their ability to get them into the NFL, kids who become stars in Group of 5 conferences will look to jump up in competition as an avenue to pursue a pro career, etc.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:10 pm The loosening of restrictions on the transfer portal is going to make things haywire. Players who don't play at powerhouse programs will look to move to other schools for playing time, powerhouse schools will look to poach good players from smaller programs by pushing their ability to get them into the NFL, kids who become stars in Group of 5 conferences will look to jump up in competition as an avenue to pursue a pro career, etc.
How often does this happen in football? Definitely a basketball thing but I am hard pressed to think of anyone who did it for college. Mac Jones decommited from UK to go to Bama, but that wasn't a transfer.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:21 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:10 pm The loosening of restrictions on the transfer portal is going to make things haywire. Players who don't play at powerhouse programs will look to move to other schools for playing time, powerhouse schools will look to poach good players from smaller programs by pushing their ability to get them into the NFL, kids who become stars in Group of 5 conferences will look to jump up in competition as an avenue to pursue a pro career, etc.
How often does this happen in football? Definitely a basketball thing but I am hard pressed to think of anyone who did it for college. Mac Jones decommited from UK to go to Bama, but that wasn't a transfer.
JJ Watt.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I think it's going to be the opposite if anything. highly-touted guys going to smaller schools for more playing time when they get pushed down the depth chart at their bigger schools.

the instances of guys at smaller schools going to bigger ones happen now primarily in the form of graduate transfers. and the QB market has been pretty fruitful in recent years anyway. if you want an immediate eligibility waiver you can typically get one.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:38 pm
JJ Watt.
Ah yes, back in 2007 when the transfer portal was so loose!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:41 pm
brian wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:38 pm
JJ Watt.
Ah yes, back in 2007 when the transfer portal was so loose!
Just sayin' -- it happens. But I agree with Bronto's point. It's more likely to help the mid-majors as a net positive if four-star QB blocked on the depth chart at elite schools can transfer to schools where they can get immediate playing time. Most of these kids these days are pretty savvy and realize they're going to get appropriately scouted at basically any FBS school. It didn't really affect the draft status of guys like Eric Fisher, Josh Allen, Khalil Mack, etc. Arguably the best WR in the MAC is a kid at CMU who was a transfer from Va. Tech.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:40 pm ...the instances of guys at smaller schools going to bigger ones happen now primarily in the form of graduate transfers. and the QB market has been pretty fruitful in recent years anyway. if you want an immediate eligibility waiver you can typically get one.
So, Washington brought in the kid who was Big Sky all-conference QB and conference player of the year as a grad transfer. Only problem (for him) was that he didn't end up starting (yet).
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I don't think that's true as one-way. There will definitely be transfers down for PT like you see in baseball, but without the year off if a kid is a star sophomore WR at UMass why wouldn't he go to a mid-major offering him an immediate 2/3 role?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

(Which is absolutely how things should work, but I think it hurts the lower schools on balance because of the top-level talent that would leave.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:51 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:40 pm ...the instances of guys at smaller schools going to bigger ones happen now primarily in the form of graduate transfers. and the QB market has been pretty fruitful in recent years anyway. if you want an immediate eligibility waiver you can typically get one.
So, Washington brought in the kid who was Big Sky all-conference QB and conference player of the year as a grad transfer. Only problem (for him) was that he didn't end up starting (yet).
Yeah, but Thomson also transferred as a graduate transfer and Sac State hasn't played at all in 2020.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:54 pm I don't think that's true as one-way. There will definitely be transfers down for PT like you see in baseball, but without the year off if a kid is a star sophomore WR at UMass why wouldn't he go to a mid-major offering him an immediate 2/3 role?
sure, but that would be happening now if it was a thing and it really isn't outside of a few graduate transfers. will there be some instances? absolutely. but we'd see the sign of the floodgates opening I think. and we haven't.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

But isn't it because that year wait allows for major schools to bring in major recruits? Same reason you do see it with grad transfers in basketball but not rampant among undergrads; if you don't have to wait you know exactly where you can slot on the roster. For every one Eric Paschall transferring up, the A-10 gets a dozen guys coming down from majors.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

you're overlooking the preponderance of immediate eligibility waivers in the last five years
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:08 pm
sancarlos wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:51 pm
Yeah, but Thomson also transferred as a graduate transfer and Sac State hasn't played at all in 2020.
Yeah, I was agreeing with you. I noted that he is a grad transfer.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

lol I missed grad
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:46 pm you're overlooking the preponderance of immediate eligibility waivers in the last five years
Are they really giving out that high of a percentage of immediate eligibility transfers? I'm a casual fan of college football at large, but it sure seems like anyone transferring to a traditionally strong school has no trouble getting approved while kids going the other way get a year to wait.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:36 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:46 pm you're overlooking the preponderance of immediate eligibility waivers in the last five years
Are they really giving out that high of a percentage of immediate eligibility transfers? I'm a casual fan of college football at large, but it sure seems like anyone transferring to a traditionally strong school has no trouble getting approved while kids going the other way get a year to wait.
There's been quite a few approved for kids going to mid-majors as well. The NCAA has more or less given up on fighting those if you can prove hardship and usually for a mid-major school it's a kid moving closer to home after not getting as much early PT as they thought at a Power Five school, so it's always "moving home closer to sick mom" or something like that.