NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Post by DSafetyGuy »

NCAA hit Louisville with five major violations in their notice of allegations (someone please perform a courtesy check on Pat Forde) and added the school had "intentional, willful or blatant disregard for the NCAA constitution and bylaws". NCAA did not mention Louisville's self-imposed postseason ban or firing a bunch of people, including Pitino, as mitigating factors.

My favorite part, though, is Chris Mack has in his contract that a year is automatically added to the end for every year the Cardinals are banned from the postseason. That's good agenting.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
mister d
The Dude

Re: NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason

Post by mister d »

I think the head coach bears all responsibility and the assistants, especially the top assistant, should be immune from punishment and are nice.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Kansas allegations don't look good. The one about self "embracing and encouraging" Adidas to steer kids to Kansas is particularly bold by the NCAA.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

A_B wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 7:21 am The Kansas allegations don't look good. The one about self "embracing and encouraging" Adidas to steer kids to Kansas is particularly bold by the NCAA.
Obviously Bill Self was doing that! Every big time college basketball head coach is going to try to benefit from their program’s association with shoe company clout. Perhaps Roy Williams has some deniability because UNC is Jordan Brand and MJ played at the program but otherwise the Nike schools are surely doing the same thing as the Adidas ones.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Joe K wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:07 am
A_B wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 7:21 am The Kansas allegations don't look good. The one about self "embracing and encouraging" Adidas to steer kids to Kansas is particularly bold by the NCAA.
Obviously Bill Self was doing that! Every big time college basketball head coach is going to try to benefit from their program’s association with shoe company clout. Perhaps Roy Williams has some deniability because UNC is Jordan Brand and MJ played at the program but otherwise the Nike schools are surely doing the same thing as the Adidas ones.
I don't think that's the point of the allegation, nor do I think the NCAA has any issue with what you describe.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

A_B wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:10 am
Joe K wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:07 am
I don't think that's the point of the allegation, nor do I think the NCAA has any issue with what you describe.
I should have been clearer. I’d be very surprised if Nike reps aren’t doing the same thing w/r/t player payments and if Nike program coaches aren’t intentionally exploiting it.

Here’s a 2017 quote from Kevin Durant talking about HS recruiting:
I think a lot of kids, to be honest, they don’t choose Maryland unless they play in like an Under Armour system coming up. Shoe companies have a real big influence on where these kids go. Nobody wants to play in Under Armours, I’m sorry. The top kids don’t because they all play Nike.
I don’t think the “top kids” “all play Nike” just because they like the way the shoes fit.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I guess I knew what you were getting at, but for the NCAA to include it in the allegations (at Level I even) would seem to mean that they have an even larger reason to think it was worse than your usual arrangements.

And I think a fair amount of players probably prefer a certain brand not because of how the shoes fit but because of an NBA star that wears them.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Apropos of my comments about the big Nike schools...

IMO, the only elite programs that even might be clean are Gonzaga and UVA. Gonzaga because its recruiting model focuses more on transfers and international players than elite HS players. And UVA because Bennett hasn’t been pulling in many elite recruits.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Blue Chips on. Wonder how they got that much buyin from NCAA?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 3:35 pm Blue Chips on. Wonder how they got that much buyin from NCAA?
The dirty school wasn't a real institution.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

mister d wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 6:46 pm I think the head coach bears all responsibility and the assistants, especially the top assistant, should be immune from punishment and are nice.
Oh. Nevermind.

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

The Penn guy somehow still works for the Cs despite a federal conviction. So maybe they jumped the gun.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

My uninformed guess is that this works as cost savings too; his hire was conditional upon his being transparent so if anything changed there they probably got a free out.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Quite a hire by Brian's alma mater. https://www.espn.com/womens-college-bas ... l-michigan

It's not often that you can hire a Hall of Fame coach as an assistant.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It’s really cool. This could be an incredible season for a mid-major team with all 5 starters coming back from an already dominant team if only there was gonna be a season.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... holarships

So I missed this over the summer, but heard this on a lacrosse podcast.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Wait, Gregg Marshall is an asshole? Who could have guessed?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

A_B wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:29 pm Wait, Gregg Marshall is an asshole? Who could have guessed?
It is generally understood in these parts that the reason he never got an ACC job despite clearly being a great coach at Winthrop, right in ACC country, was that he was such a well-known asshole. And that's saying something considering what people will normally put up with from a successful coach.
Totally Kafkaesque
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Penn State head coach resigning over racial comments to former player.

You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Uh, whoops.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Izzo has the COVID.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Just the dumbest shit to say.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Coach Paterno has taken it so seriously he's been hiding underground.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

It is slightly crazy that we are 10 days from the start of the season and yet teams don't have finalized schedules. For example the Terps have ODU on the 25th and Clemson (ACC-B1G game) listed.

Also signing day was pretty quiet. Terps picked up 3 4 stars. Duke looks to have built a nice class (kid from Paul the VI in VA is really fun to watch).
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Gregg Marshall resiggns.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:43 am It is slightly crazy that we are 10 days from the start of the season and yet teams don't have finalized schedules. For example the Terps have ODU on the 25th and Clemson (ACC-B1G game) listed.

Also signing day was pretty quiet. Terps picked up 3 4 stars. Duke looks to have built a nice class (kid from Paul the VI in VA is really fun to watch).
MI picked up two 5* and two 4*. Currently #1 recruiting class, but could change. In any event, best recruiting class since the Fab 5.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

mister d wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:39 am Gregg Marshall resiggns.
Bravo...
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I wish somebody would pay me $7.75 million to resign.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:47 pm I wish somebody would pay me $7.75 million to resign.
There's not a lot I wouldn't do for $7.75 million.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Shirley
The Dude

Re: NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Post by Shirley »

The college hoops season starts today!

UVA plays Maine Towson this afternoon. On Friday, they play Florida San Francsisco.

I guess that's how this season's gonna be. Schedules are going to change constantly. Get your five and call next!
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Looking forward to getitng a look at my team, which for at least a week will likely feature NO PLAYERS WHO HAVE EVER SUITED UP FOR KENTUCKY.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Same as my team.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:52 am Same as my team.
I can't tell if this is brilliant or if it's something else.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Saw some interesting articles on the potential impact of COVID on officials. If some of these contact tracing causes officials to get put on the sideline for 14 days or what not it will not be surprising to see some 2-man crews and some less experienced officials on bigger games.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:02 am Saw some interesting articles on the potential impact of COVID on officials. If some of these contact tracing causes officials to get put on the sideline for 14 days or what not it will not be surprising to see some 2-man crews and some less experienced officials on bigger games.
Tell your son to keep that striped shirt washed and ready!
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Shirley wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:13 am
wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:02 am Saw some interesting articles on the potential impact of COVID on officials. If some of these contact tracing causes officials to get put on the sideline for 14 days or what not it will not be surprising to see some 2-man crews and some less experienced officials on bigger games.
Tell your son to keep that striped shirt washed and ready!
There are a bunch of lacrosse refs I work with who do basketball. My understanding is the Juco, Women's D3 crews are salivating at a shot to move up the ladder. Apparently the top guys work a tremendous number of games and the pay is very strong.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Interesting article in the Athletic that covers anonymous poll of Big 10 players.

Nobody seems worried about MD or think College Park is a great place to play.
https://theathletic.com/2220183/2020/11 ... -holtmann/
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Why are nba lottery level guys skipping college to play in the G league? WTF? Can't college guys get endorsements now? In what world do you want to skip being the man on a college campus for a year? Not to mention learning basic academic skills and maturity. Isn't a lotto type destined to be a team leader? No way college doesn't help you with that.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:08 pm Why are nba lottery level guys skipping college to play in the G league? WTF? Can't college guys get endorsements now? In what world do you want to skip being the man on a college campus for a year? Not to mention learning basic academic skills and maturity. Isn't a lotto type destined to be a team leader? No way college doesn't help you with that.
On the other hand, why bother with classes and homework if you "know" you're only going to be there one year, and actually even less than that, since a lot of dudes drop out in the spring. Also, the NCAA limits how much practice time you can have.

I still think college is probably the best bet for most of these guys, but not for all.
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:08 pm Why are nba lottery level guys skipping college to play in the G league? WTF? Can't college guys get endorsements now? In what world do you want to skip being the man on a college campus for a year? Not to mention learning basic academic skills and maturity. Isn't a lotto type destined to be a team leader? No way college doesn't help you with that.
Because learning NBA systems and being a Pro for some kids will make them a higher draft pick and develop better than a 30 game college season. Especially with NCAA limits on practice time with coaches and trainers. Same reason you see soccer players not going to college. Playing against men in practice and games is way better than playing against Timmy WalkOn.

Sure life skills are important, but Kobe, LeBron, and the Balls are going to just fine without that degree on the wall. Not right for everyone but 1 year at Duke or Kentucky is probably not as valuable as a pro year in the Euro Champions League thing or the Aussie Pro League.