Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by HaulCitgo »

I'm gonna guess that pfizer knows how to run a drug trial. If we were in Botswana I'd agree cause distribution but so long as you're within driving distance of an urban area countdown is on. Gunpowder may have a point with modernas lack of history with drug trials but pfizer like old hat.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The better news is that IF it is that effective, the other vaccines that are close may be helpful as well. Will need a bunch of them to work to get enough doses out to the world to stop this short sooner rather than later.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:22 am Pretty sure moderna is an actual company. VC darling most likely. But there should be rejoicing here. 90% is beyond expectations and they'll have 20 million doses at an insanely low pice... those guys could definitely make more money at $3k a pop... and other likely vaccines right behind it. Just massive news. Buying summer vacation type news.

They are real but to me it screamed from the beginning like they were pumping up their stock price and I'm still of that opinion. I made some good money shorting those frauds.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Gunpowder wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:07 am I am encouraged that this time it's an actual company and not Moderna making the claims. The first few claims were like Fruit Loops saying they had a vaccine.
It was pretty telling when Moderna made their announcement and their executives immediately unloaded their shares. How does that shit stand? Or worse, the so-called "Vaccine Czar" refuses to sell shares he owns in companies developing vaccines, or even disclose the extent of his holdings. Drain the Swamp, my ass.

I am cautiously optimistic at this news. Haven't read past headlines, so I'm reserving my enthusiasm. I figure best case, this gets mass rolled out in late Spring early Summer?

If my math is correct, my town currently has a third of total community positives as active cases. Community meaning excluding nursing homes and rehab hospital. So the number of people currently infected is 33% of the total number from February through today. That is terrifying, and I am hearing people say they are still planning on traveling or hosting for Thanksgiving. Fucking insane. People need to step back and keep each other safe.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

just stating i would inhale a box of Fruit Loops vaccine right this second. carry on.
Gunpowder wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:07 am I am encouraged that this time it's an actual company and not Moderna making the claims. The first few claims were like Fruit Loops saying they had a vaccine.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

MaxWebster wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:30 pm just stating i would inhale a box of Fruit Loops vaccine right this second. carry on.
Lacerated soft palette or covid? Tough call.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Pfroot Loops
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:21 pmIf my math is correct, my town currently has a third of total community positives as active cases. Community meaning excluding nursing homes and rehab hospital. So the number of people currently infected is 33% of the total number from February through today. That is terrifying, and I am hearing people say they are still planning on traveling or hosting for Thanksgiving. Fucking insane. People need to step back and keep each other safe.
Apparently something like 1 out of every 95 people in Utah has an active case right now - as in, they've been diagnosed as positive within the past three weeks. The governor made a big "state of emergency" announcement last night, preceded by an alert on all our phones that he was going to be speaking. He's finally imposed a statewide mask mandate, but restaurants and bars will still be open (though they have to close at 10). Schools that are open will stay open. Extracurricular activities are banned - except for the all-important high school playoffs and intercollegiate athletics.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

P.D.X. wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:13 pm
MaxWebster wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:30 pm just stating i would inhale a box of Fruit Loops vaccine right this second. carry on.
Capt Crunch way worse though.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:32 pm
Are you guys meaning hard palate? It always got me at the front of my mouth.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Roof here. No idea what it's called.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

A_B wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:44 pm
Are you guys meaning hard palate? It always got me at the front of my mouth.
Probably.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

First thing that popped into my head. Those things are like razor blades.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Adults back in the room:

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If this vaccine really is 90 percent effective, that's the ballgame there. It'll take awhile to distribute, but that will be enough to make things "normal" again without having to achieve even partial herd immunity. There will be flareups from time to time that will require contract tracing and maybe even temporary halts to really large gatherings in some cities, but if you can prevent 9 out of 10 people from getting the virus it makes it really, really hard to spread in wide numbers that could significantly impact public health.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Its also going to be completely fucked up for the immunocompromised who can't get the vaccine and will have no idea which person back to normal is vaccinated and which are denialists. Atleast now the masks and enforcement areas can guide them.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:47 pm Its also going to be completely fucked up for the immunocompromised who can't get the vaccine and will have no idea which person back to normal is vaccinated and which are denialists. Atleast now the masks and enforcement areas can guide them.
In the meantime, hopefully there's still a push to develop better therapeutics though for people who do get it. COVID isn't "going away". We're going to be living with it for the rest of our lives, but a vaccine plus more effective treatments should mean that it's a public health issue no larger than a really bad year for the seasonal flu on a year-to-year basis. (i.e. if 30-40K people a year die of COVID, obviously that's bad, but it would have been probably 1M in the US this year with no intervention (if we had continue to allow full crowds for hockey games, etc.).
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

brian wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:54 pm... but it would have been probably 1M in the US this year with no intervention (if we had continue to allow full crowds for hockey games, etc.).
Ha ha glad I'm in NJ!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I think I may have this
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Gunpowder wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:39 am I think I may have this
Stupid Florida.

If you're symptomatic, try to get tested. Especially if you can't fully quarantine away from others, or were in close contact with the other the last couple of days. Good luck man.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Trying but the Walgreens site won't let me put my appt request in.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Rapid tests are quick and free w insurance at many urgent care here. Just try what comes up in google. Online scheduling spots open if you just keep hitting refresh. The come stick your nose in the parking lot and results in 15. Had to do the kid 3x already.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Damn. What makes you say that? (Like, symptoms alone, or symptoms plus a close contact with a known case?)

Either way, if you think you might have it, assume for now that you do. Isolate and rest. Unless you have an underlying medical condition, you should be fine.

Rass, is getting tested is a big priority? Unless there’s a need for contact tracing, maybe that could wait a few days?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:41 am
Damn. What makes you say that? (Like, symptoms alone, or symptoms plus a close contact with a known case?)

Either way, if you think you might have it, assume for now that you do. Isolate and rest. Unless you have an underlying medical condition, you should be fine.

Rass, is getting tested is a big priority? Unless there’s a need for contact tracing, maybe that could wait a few days?
Advice given out in NJ has been to wait 4-5 days from the date of exposure if you think you were exposed but are asymptomatic. If you're symptomatic I don't think there is a reason to wait, especially if you're concerned that others have been or will be exposed to you. The rapid tests are great to prove positives but not so much negatives.

ETA: And the contact tracing absolutely depends on testing, but I know at least one health department in NJ that has been rigorous about tracing since this started is starting to lose control. I have no idea what parts of the rest of the country have even tried to keep up.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Pretty sure FL is doing fuck all as far as contact tracing. My littlest had symptoms last week, tested negative on the rapid test and strep test, and ultimately got his PCR results back in about 5 days. A few months back when I had some symptoms, I was able to schedule a drive through test at CVS that I self-administered at the direction of the pharmacist through the window. I believe it was able to get an appointment in about 18 hours from my call.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:30 am Pretty sure FL is doing fuck all as far as contact tracing. My littlest had symptoms last week, tested negative on the rapid test and strep test, and ultimately got his PCR results back in about 5 days. A few months back when I had some symptoms, I was able to schedule a drive through test at CVS that I self-administered at the direction of the pharmacist through the window. I believe it was able to get an appointment in about 18 hours from my call.
I did the CVS drive thru test too. Results back in 1.5 days here.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:54 am I have no idea what parts of the rest of the country have even tried to keep up.
It's almost as if there is no national plan or guidance from the Federal government.

So Rass might know this. In NJ, if your kid lives with you and is positive and symptomatic, you are supposed to quarantine. Is that a suggestion or a requirement? For example, if your asshole kid goes to a basement party with 40 other kids and 28 of them are positive, should you be hanging around the grocery store talking to people? Should you be telling them about how your son's high fever that isn't going away? I really hate people right now.

SL, I always thought I'd say this to you about a different type of test, but I hope you test negative.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I guess I'm thinking that since there is no treatment for Covid, there's no medical benefit to a patient from getting tested.

If your symptoms are mild, you're just going to be staying at home and resting.

If your symptoms are stronger (shortness of breath, etc.), they want you to go to a hospital. Either way, you don't actually need to have a test; just isolate yourself as if you were positive.

If you have no symptoms but had close contact with someone who tested positive, you should quarantine for 14 days - even if you test negative.

So really the only issue is contact tracing. Are there people you potentially exposed that you need to inform, where a test result would make a difference.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:48 amSL, I always thought I'd say this to you about a different type of test, but I hope you test negative.
Lol.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:48 am
rass wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:54 am I have no idea what parts of the rest of the country have even tried to keep up.
It's almost as if there is no national plan or guidance from the Federal government.

So Rass might know this. In NJ, if your kid lives with you and is positive and symptomatic, you are supposed to quarantine. Is that a suggestion or a requirement? For example, if your asshole kid goes to a basement party with 40 other kids and 28 of them are positive, should you be hanging around the grocery store talking to people? Should you be telling them about how your son's high fever that isn't going away? I really hate people right now.
Sounds like you know the answer, but direct contact of that sort with a positive case should prompt a quarantine (I think it's still 14 days). Negative tests do not preempt the quarantine (unless you play for the Jets or Giants, I guess). That is as "required" as it can be with no recourse available to punish those who violate quarantine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:48 am I guess I'm thinking that since there is no treatment for Covid, there's no medical benefit to a patient from getting tested.

If your symptoms are mild, you're just going to be staying at home and resting.

If your symptoms are stronger (shortness of breath, etc.), they want you to go to a hospital. Either way, you don't actually need to have a test; just isolate yourself as if you were positive.

If you have no symptoms but had close contact with someone who tested positive, you should quarantine for 14 days - even if you test negative.

So really the only issue is contact tracing. Are there people you potentially exposed that you need to inform, where a test result would make a difference.
This sounds reasonable enough, yeah.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:09 am

Sounds like you know the answer, but direct contact of that sort with a positive case should prompt a quarantine (I think it's still 14 days). Negative tests do not preempt the quarantine (unless you play for the Jets or Giants, I guess). That is as "required" as it can be with no recourse available to punish those who violate quarantine.
I guess that leaves us with public shaming and nosy friends texting my wife and everyone she knows the name of the father who did this. With all the Facebook debates about the families who let their kids go to the party, nobody has named names. I think one person did, but quickly removed it.

My wife lost her shit when one mother whose son is friends with all the positive kids and may have been at the party made a comment that people need to stop trying to make the families feel guilty, they will learn their lesson because of all they lose in the next two weeks. It kind of sicken me that she is acting like the party-goers doing two weeks of remote school and missing their sports is a punishment and the only effect of their selfish and stupid acts. What about all of the other families exposed to the party kids who are scared that their allergy symptoms might be COVID? All of the parents, grandparents, teachers, etc ... exposed to the virus because of them? What if one of the kids gets really sick or has long term effects? Or they spread it to someone else who dies? My wife had 11 coworkers in the hospital system die, what about all the medical workers exposed to additional cases because of this party? What about all of the kids who didn't go to the party who have to stay home? All sports, school, travel, rec, are cancelled for all age groups. Lots of people are cancelling Thanksgiving plans because of this party. But you just focus on how it impacts the assholes who went to the party without considering the impact it had on the entire town and relatives of people in town.

Sorry for the rant. Been wanting to respond on Facebook, but I don't get mixed up in that shit. I'm sure that rant would make me the target of a response, and worse, make my son a target.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

After a very long plane ride from Seattle through Misawa AB to Osan AB and after inprocessing that took far too long, at 9:30pm local time we stood in this line on the 3rd floor of a parking garage that is very poorly lit to get our brains tickled. I couldn't stop laughing and felt like I was waiting to go into a haunted house.

They really adhered to a "twist the q-tip for 15 seconds in the brain" mantra too. Much more of a different experience that the test I took when getting back from Saudi Arabia. That was only about 3 seconds with no twisting.

I should get the results back at some point soon, and until then I'm holed up in my dorm room. I'll have a couple hours a day to go outside and can only wash clothes at certain times. Any time I leave my room I have to wear a mask and gloves and social distance. I'll then take another test on day 13 and if that is negative I'll be able to roam free.

America wouldn't be able to handle these measures.
PSX_20201111_005626.jpg
PSX_20201111_005626.jpg (107.32 KiB) Viewed 381 times
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:26 amWhat about all of the other families exposed to the party kids who are scared that their allergy symptoms might be COVID? All of the parents, grandparents, teachers, etc ... exposed to the virus because of them? What if one of the kids gets really sick or has long term effects? Or they spread it to someone else who dies?
These people are fully content with the knowledge no one can really know who transmitted to who and therefore they're clear.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:32 am
The Sybian wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:26 amWhat about all of the other families exposed to the party kids who are scared that their allergy symptoms might be COVID? All of the parents, grandparents, teachers, etc ... exposed to the virus because of them? What if one of the kids gets really sick or has long term effects? Or they spread it to someone else who dies?
These people are fully content with the knowledge no one can really know who transmitted to who and therefore they're clear.
More disturbing, they don't care. This mother isn't capable of thinking beyond the direct impact on the kids who caused the problem.
-Pruitt
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I went to meet some friends on Friday, and this being like day 7 after DeSantis opened everything up it was like there was no pandemic at all. I knew it was going to happen. Started to feel like I had a headcold yesterday and then when the chills started I pretty much knew.

So I just got checked and it was positive. On the way back I got in a minor fender bender. 100% my fault, and then made two more dumb driving moves on the way home from that. I'm just completely foggy in the head right now. I just hope I didn't give it to the little old lady that ended up hitting me when I cut her off.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

SL, I always thought I'd say this to you about a different type of test, but I hope you test negative.
I am negative for those tests! I'm an old man now bros
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

rass wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:54 am

Advice given out in NJ has been to wait 4-5 days from the date of exposure if you think you were exposed but are asymptomatic. If you're symptomatic I don't think there is a reason to wait, especially if you're concerned that others have been or will be exposed to you. The rapid tests are great to prove positives but not so much negatives
To wit, I woke up Sunday without a sense of taste and smell. It came back but I still went and got a rapid test that came back negative. Felt better by Sunday night. Last night started to get a sore throat and today a fever popped. Saliva tests kick off at 3. If I’m positive, my XC team can’t race Saturday which really blows.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I live in a high-rise in Miami and I am near people all day every day. I just wanted to know so I could avoid infecting others.