Old is New Again HDTV Buying Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Gunpowder
The Dude

Re: Old is New Again HDTV Buying Thread

Post by Gunpowder »

I got a similar Samsung 2 years ago, 50", for $950 on what I thought was a deal.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Brontoburglar wrote:Genie? I love it, except sometimes my TVs will go into screensaver mode for no reason.
Odd. Mine will only go into power saving mode, but that is still after four hours of inactivity (not changing the channel, looking at the guide, etc.). I'm sure there has to be something in the menu to change that.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:Genie? I love it, except sometimes my TVs will go into screensaver mode for no reason.
Odd. Mine will only go into power saving mode, but that is still after four hours of inactivity (not changing the channel, looking at the guide, etc.). I'm sure there has to be something in the menu to change that.
Mine do that too. But it'll randomly go into the mode where the Directv logo is bouncing around, like if the DVR has been paused for 20 minutes or so. Even as I'm watching live TV. It's so weird.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Brontoburglar wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:
Mine do that too. But it'll randomly go into the mode where the Directv logo is bouncing around, like if the DVR has been paused for 20 minutes or so. Even as I'm watching live TV. It's so weird.
Mine does the logo bounce at five minutes if paused, but that was put in to reduce the chance of having the screen get "burned in" images in the early days of flatscreens. If yours happens while it is playing, that is odd and I would say merits a phone call to tech support.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Gunpowder wrote:I got a similar Samsung 2 years ago, 50", for $950 on what I thought was a deal.
I ended up going with this TV.The basement is dark, and not a huge space, so it's plenty of screen. I added a Roku to handle the "smart" functions.

The Genie is great so far. It does go into power saving mode after 4 hours of inactivity, but seems to recover pretty quick.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Makes sense, a plasma in the basement wouldn't be a problem.

Really, most of these TVs are fine and you'll rarely get burned going cheap so long as you get a legit brand.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote:
Gunpowder wrote:
The Genie is great so far. It does go into power saving mode after 4 hours of inactivity, but seems to recover pretty quick.
Sounds like my penis.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

The Sybian wrote:
rass wrote:
Gunpowder wrote:
Sounds like my penis.
Sounds like my Sybian. Ironic?
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

howard wrote: Sounds like my Sybian. Ironic?
Ha!!!
-Pruitt
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I need this explained to me...

Got a 50" 4K Vizio over the weekend. Read all about 4K/UHD and how, at that size and viewing distance, it's not making a shitload of difference. Once I adjusted the settings, it's obviously nicer than my old plasma, but nothing earth shattering. Sports, regular programming, movies...bigger and slightly better.

Until we fired up Homeland last night (Season 3, if that ends up mattering). It was like watching a live play. Out my window. With no glass. And a magic camera that brings the actors there to re-enact the Planet Earth documentaries except with scripted material to match whatever show you want. This was through Xfinity on demand via the TiVo (rather than the Smart TV which I don't think does Comcast). I've read a little bit about how Netflix, cable providers, etc. are dealing with UHD programming, and nothing led me to believe that I was seeing a specific UHD version of the show. But it has to be.

We haven't tried any other show yet. What's happening, douglasses?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Ryan wrote:I need this explained to me...

Got a 50" 4K Vizio over the weekend. Read all about 4K/UHD and how, at that size and viewing distance, it's not making a shitload of difference. Once I adjusted the settings, it's obviously nicer than my old plasma, but nothing earth shattering. Sports, regular programming, movies...bigger and slightly better.

Until we fired up Homeland last night (Season 3, if that ends up mattering). It was like watching a live play. Out my window. With no glass. And a magic camera that brings the actors there to re-enact the Planet Earth documentaries except with scripted material to match whatever show you want. This was through Xfinity on demand via the TiVo (rather than the Smart TV which I don't think does Comcast). I've read a little bit about how Netflix, cable providers, etc. are dealing with UHD programming, and nothing led me to believe that I was seeing a specific UHD version of the show. But it has to be.

We haven't tried any other show yet. What's happening, douglasses?
Had the same thing with my Samsung curved TV (not sure if it's 4k or not, purchased at the end of 2014). It's like there's no "movie gloss/glaze" at all. It really freaked me out, and I wasn't a fan. I must have gotten used to it, as I don't recognize it much any more.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I go two or three years with the same TV, and I have no idea what you are talking about.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote:I go two or three years with the same TV, and I have no idea what you are talking about.
It's freaky. It removed whatever "smoothing" that is involved in scripted movies and TV. It feels like you are watching TV out a window, with no glass, as Ryan said earlier.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I had that experience watching some HD shows for the first time on my newest TV. I remember reading some explanation for why that happens. It makes regular "filmed" TV look a lot like soap operas.

Yeah, here's an explanation - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_interpolation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Totally Kafkaesque
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Shirley wrote:I had that experience watching some HD shows for the first time on my newest TV. I remember reading some explanation for why that happens. It makes regular "filmed" TV look a lot like soap operas.

Yeah, here's an explanation - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_interpolation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yep, it looks like when a normally pretaped show does a live episode (like the West Wing debate). Or like a super-nice telenovela.

Weird though that, so far, it's only been that one show for us.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Revving this up as I'm going to be in the market at some point in 2019. Haven't bought since 2012 and my 46" Bravia which was state of the art at the time now is a puny POS I guess. What should I be looking for? Does it even matter anymore or is everything awesome?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I am in the decide what size you want and get the cheapest camp.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

A_B wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:47 pm I am in the decide what size you want and get the cheapest camp.
yup, especially if you have a decent soundbar. the only reason to nitpick is if you really want to nitpick and pay more. If you just want a good picture without going over the depth of the color black on the screen, just get a $600 70" TV.

(I say this as someone who has nine televisions in his house)
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rex wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:33 pm Revving this up as I'm going to be in the market at some point in 2019. Haven't bought since 2012 and my 46" Bravia which was state of the art at the time now is a puny POS I guess. What should I be looking for? Does it even matter anymore or is everything awesome?
From the very little research I just did before buying a 65" Samsung 7 Series, it seems like everything is awesome, and there is much less differentiation between TVs today then 5 years ago. They don't make plasma anymore, and unless you drop to super inexpensive, everything is 4K UltraHD. The guy at BestBuy said the biggest difference between the various Series' is how well they perform in non-UltraHD. Series 8 is the best, and a significant price jump in most of the name brands. Series 7 is really damned good, IMO, but I'm not the most discerning in my TV quality judging.

It took me a couple days to get used to TV, especially watching soccer. I went up from a 55", and had to try different settings to avoid some minor irregularities in fast moving images. I don't quite understand, but the TVs somehow adjust focus, making the players stand out, while the fans become less focused, giving a 3D effect. It's awesome, but the TV also makes some adjustments to make fast movements more smooth, and it doesn't always work. Not sure if I hot good settings, or just got used to it, but I stopped noticing it after a couple days.
-Pruitt
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Finally time for a new one. 4K is all I need, right? Like there's nothing that can even use the 8K quantized hyperspace intergalactic imaging or whatnot that these expensive ones hype up?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

no

also make sure your tubes are good and lubed up if you're gonna be streaming that hot 4k content
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

We got this one, which was our first smart TV, and it works good?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:24 pm We got this one, which was our first smart TV, and it works good?
How can you even see on something that small?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I think? (At some point your eyes can't even tell the difference if I remember right.)

When I was doing research last year my head was spinning from the options and all the letters used to delineate what brand can do what.

I think what I'm going to end up doing is getting the portable LG Cinebeam 4k projector and just paint a wall with the correct paint in my eventual house so it looks really crisp.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

We got this one last week for our patio. We have the same model but 70" for the main living area in Jan. Both look and work great.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

My 6ish year old TV just developed a bright spot in one area, and I'd been thinking it wasn't worth replacing, but damn these prices are cheap.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:49 pm My 6ish year old TV just developed a bright spot in one area, and I'd been thinking it wasn't worth replacing, but damn these prices are cheap.
Yeah, and they are made to last about 4 or 5 years
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

if anyone is in the market for a new TV, Wally World is starting their Black Friday online this evening

$128 for a 50" and $148 for a 55" -- those are insane prices
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:02 am if anyone is in the market for a new TV, Wally World is starting their Black Friday online this evening

Got a link (cause I’m not sure if that’s Walmart)?
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

cerrano wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:46 am
Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:02 am if anyone is in the market for a new TV, Wally World is starting their Black Friday online this evening

Yeah, it's walmart
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:07 am
cerrano wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:46 am

Yeah, it's walmart
Gracias.

Want to get one for the patio but don’t have any cover out there and limited wall space to mount it. We bring a smaller one out on nice days but it be too small. (That’s what she said)
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

That's silly cheap
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I think if you're getting one, make sure it lets you turn motion smoothing off, and depending on how you plan to set it up, see if you can check the sound. We bought one of those Best Buy 55-inch TVs last year, and our model didn't have the option to turn smoothing off, so a lot of shows look like soap operas.

And the sound really sucked the way we had it set up - we had the TV sitting flat on top of our fireplace mantle, which muffled the speakers from the back. We ended up putting the TV on a couple of old hockey pucks, and now it's kinda ok I guess.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Yeah, the soap opera effect is a nightmare. Our TV had that when we bought it.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:48 am I think if you're getting one, make sure it lets you turn motion smoothing off, and depending on how you plan to set it up, see if you can check the sound. We bought one of those Best Buy 55-inch TVs last year, and our model didn't have the option to turn smoothing off, so a lot of shows look like soap operas.

And the sound really sucked the way we had it set up - we had the TV sitting flat on top of our fireplace mantle, which muffled the speakers from the back. We ended up putting the TV on a couple of old hockey pucks, and now it's kinda ok I guess.
get a soundbar?

eta: your TV didn't come with a stand?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:48 amWe ended up putting the TV on a couple of old hockey pucks, and now it's kinda ok I guess.
Wow, really one-upping Rush's tendency to french-spell words with this.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

Might get that side awning to hold me over until the spring when I’ll plant the privacy shrubs. Thanks Rass!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:03 am
Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:48 am I think if you're getting one, make sure it lets you turn motion smoothing off, and depending on how you plan to set it up, see if you can check the sound. We bought one of those Best Buy 55-inch TVs last year, and our model didn't have the option to turn smoothing off, so a lot of shows look like soap operas.

get a soundbar?

It did come with feet that go perpendicular to the TV. It turned out our mantle isn't deep enough to use them.

Our previous TV, which was smaller, had a horizontal flat-bottomed stand. That worked great. But it was smaller and this is the 21st century.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:30 am
Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:03 am

get a soundbar?

It did come with feet that go perpendicular to the TV. It turned out our mantle isn't deep enough to use them.

Our previous TV, which was smaller, had a horizontal flat-bottomed stand. That worked great. But it was smaller and this is the 21st century.
you can get a bunch of generic TV stands on Amazon that would probably solve the issue