NFL Free Agency

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

FredRomero

Re: NFL Free Agency

Post by FredRomero »

You're sure he's much better than Kruger?
SlimChristian
Jackie Treehorn

Post by SlimChristian »

FredRomero wrote:You're sure he's much better than Kruger?
Kruger was horrible against the run. He couldn't set the edge at all. He had 15.5 sacks in 4 seasons. Dumervil has 63.5 sacks in 8 seasons, including a 17 sack season. You tell me.
FredRomero

Post by FredRomero »

I thought Dumervil's reputation was he was weak against the run, and he's much shorter than Kruger.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

At the worst, they are comparable. And Dumervil's cheaper. I'd rather they paid Kruger and kept him.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

SlimChristian wrote:
Scottie wrote:
Johnnie wrote:Good faith? Good business?
Fucked up agent that may have got lucky?
He fired the agent that fucked up.

According to PFT, Denver changed the terms of the contract at the last minute and agents around the league don't trust them anymore. Probably because they are agents but still...there's some shade coming from the Bronco side on that deal.
FredRomero

Post by FredRomero »

I may have been basing my analysis too much on what each player did against the Patriots. Kruger's teammates may have had a bit of an influence though.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Johnnie wrote:I guess. It just seems that if Dumervil wanted to stay with Denver he would have, dumbass agent or not though. To just jump to Baltimore like that says something else was there that gave him motive to leave.
No, that's not quite true. James Harrison wants to return to Pittsburgh, but the Steelers have all of the dead money from his contract on their cap this year and even giving him $1.5 mil now would lead to a bigger cap hit than he'd have before he was released.

Maybe he did want to go back to Denver, but he didn't want to go back for whatever they were offering after the cut...which I'd guess was whatever the difference is between $8 mil and his current dead money hit.

Deal with the Ravens is $8 mil this year but is essentially 5-years $25 mil. He gets $8.5 MM this year, but only $4 MM more is guaranteed after that. So basically I guess the Ravens said here, here's your $8.5 MM to stick it to Denver, and then after that throw us a bone and play for $4-5 MM over the next couple seasons. Basically, Newsome runs circles around Cleveland's GM. I also like how Cincinnati's been going recently with their contracts - saving all of their money and paying it to their own young guys along with cheaper vet fill-ins. The Steelers, I'm not quite so sure. I hope their moves turn out to be the right ones, but they don't really seem to be moving in the right direction at the moment to me. And I'm not even talking about Harrison, who was dumb to reject the offer they made him.
Last edited by Gunpowder on Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

FredRomero wrote:I may have been basing my analysis too much on what each player did against the Patriots. Kruger's teammates may have had a bit of an influence though.

Dumervil's 17-sack year was an aberration, but that word could also describe "Kruger as good NFL player". He doesn't have a long track record of success, and it's not like he was some dominant force all season.
SlimChristian
Jackie Treehorn

Post by SlimChristian »

Grasspenis wrote:
FredRomero wrote:I may have been basing my analysis too much on what each player did against the Patriots. Kruger's teammates may have had a bit of an influence though.

Dumervil's 17-sack year was an aberration, but that word could also describe "Kruger as good NFL player". He doesn't have a long track record of success, and it's not like he was some dominant force all season.
He was a semi-dominant force when Suggs drew the double teams. Dumervil's 17 sack season also came when he was an OLB, not as a rush end. He'll be playing that OLB spot for the Ravens. I just like the idea of Suggs on one end and Elvis on the other. It presents problems and will help the secondary which has suffered major losses.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

SlimChristian wrote:
Grasspenis wrote:

He was a semi-dominant force when Suggs drew the double teams. Dumervil's 17 sack season also came when he was an OLB, not as a rush end. He'll be playing that OLB spot for the Ravens. I just like the idea of Suggs on one end and Elvis on the other. It presents problems and will help the secondary which has suffered major losses.

Biggest loss is Ray's leadership! Can't replace that!

PS: !
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Dumervil's had some injury issues, but I sure wish the Broncos had kept him. He made lots of big plays, and took pressure off Von Miller. So, congrats, BFJ. Somebody may have already said this, but who uses fax machines anymore? Just scan it and email it! What a clusterfuck.

So, now the Broncos turn their thoughts to John Abraham or Dwight Freeney.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I think that Abraham is going to NE and Freeny is reuniting with Peyton.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

Post by Johnny Hotcakes »

The Vollmer signing was one of the underrated moves of the last week. Seems like many view him as one of the top RT's in the game.

P.S. WELKAH!!!
Popin' ain't easy
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

He is one of the best in the league. The entire line is pretty damn good at both run and line blocking. Vollmer is important as without him they lose the depth which (see Steeler, Pittsburgh) is very important to be a sucessful team
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

FredRomero

Post by FredRomero »

Volllmer always seems to be hurt. Also, people were pretty excited about Jeff Demps joining the Patriots. Then he got hurt, and now he says football isn't a priority.

And to complete the trifecta of Patriots news, on the radio Ted Johnson said that Vince Wilfork's wife is ugly. Vince didn't take it well
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Looks like Vollmer is now finalized. Has escalator clauses (Pro Bowl, etc.) but also has very good injury protection and only a 3 Mil hot this year 6+ if he hits everything, so very good value.
SlimChristian
Jackie Treehorn

Post by SlimChristian »

Ravens sign Michael Huff to play FS. 3 years/6 million.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Patriots do their typical "bring in veterans" thing and sign Michael Jenkins.

Personally, I'd prefer they sign LeeRoy Jenkins.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

FredRomero wrote:And to complete the trifecta of Patriots news, on the radio Ted Johnson said that Vince Wilfork's wife is ugly. Vince didn't take it well
To be fair, someone asked him which Pats player has the ugliest wife. Its not close. And that's without even looking. So, yeah, its bad form to call someone's wife ugliest. On the other hand, truth is truth.

Small world. Turns out I went to school with this dentist. He looks about as bad as Bianca.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Matt Flynn going to Oakland apparently, according to La Canfora
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

sorry johnnie, i'm stealing that one.
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Cowboys paid the going rate for Romo. Hell, he's a way better QB than Flacco, who got stupid money.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Probably sets the bar for Cutler, who is a free agent after this coming season. Not too happy about that, although the Bears should look into extending him now to free up some cap space for this year.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DSafetyGuy wrote:Probably sets the bar for Cutler, who is a free agent after this coming season. Not too happy about that, although the Bears should look into extending him now to free up some cap space for this year.
Yeah, same with Stafford. Lions are probably looking at about 6 yrs, $110M or so, but Stafford's got $20M coming for the next two years so he'll probably let it ride this season and see what happens. He could end up getting more, but probably not too much less (short of another serious injury of course). Lions tried to re-up him this year to make cap room, but truth is next season works out just as well for both parties.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:Probably sets the bar for Cutler, who is a free agent after this coming season. Not too happy about that, although the Bears should look into extending him now to free up some cap space for this year.
Yeah, same with Stafford. Lions are probably looking at about 6 yrs, $110M or so, but Stafford's got $20M coming for the next two years so he'll probably let it ride this season and see what happens. He could end up getting more, but probably not too much less (short of another serious injury of course). Lions tried to re-up him this year to make cap room, but truth is next season works out just as well for both parties.
I would think Stafford would do better than Romo/Cutler due to upside and being younger, thus getting a longer contract. Romo and Cutler often get lumped together under the "very talented/haven't won squat" umbrella, so I imagine the former's extension as a template, and Stafford seems to be a half-step above them.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
brian wrote:
I would think Stafford would do better than Romo/Cutler due to upside and being younger, thus getting a longer contract. Romo and Cutler often get lumped together under the "very talented/haven't won squat" umbrella, so I imagine the former's extension as a template, and Stafford seems to be a half-step above them.
Maybe but another middling season this year won't do him any favors. He does have youth on his side. He's still only 25. I don't see him making it to his walk year one way or another.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I don't understand the Romo hate. Yeah, he's farted away games, but the Cowboys wouldn't be in the position they were in to fart away the games in the first place without Romo playing well to get them there.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Brontoburglar wrote:I don't understand the Romo hate. Yeah, he's farted away games, but the Cowboys wouldn't be in the position they were in to fart away the games in the first place without Romo playing well to get them there.
Yeah, despite playing for the Cowboys he's arguably the most underrated QB in the NFL.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

He's 32. He's had six years to rewrite his defining moment. But yeah, Romo could definitely be worse, and their GM sucks, so they probably had to pay him.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote:He's 32. He's had six years to rewrite his defining moment. But yeah, Romo could definitely be worse, and their GM sucks, so they probably had to pay him.
Right. The issue is who do you replace him with. If you assume that Romo is at worst league average (and I'd argue he's closer to about 8th-12th in the league), even league average QBs don't exactly grow on trees. There's a shitton of franchises that would kill for a league average QB right about now. So someone was going to pay him. If the Cowboys had someone waiting in the wings, it would be one thing.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote:
rass wrote:He's 32. He's had six years to rewrite his defining moment. But yeah, Romo could definitely be worse, and their GM sucks, so they probably had to pay him.
Right. The issue is who do you replace him with. If you assume that Romo is at worst league average (and I'd argue he's closer to about 8th-12th in the league), even league average QBs don't exactly grow on trees. There's a shitton of franchises that would kill for a league average QB right about now. So someone was going to pay him. If the Cowboys had someone waiting in the wings, it would be one thing.

I would kill for a league average QB. That sounds fantastic right about now. Way better than a shitty QB with an enormous cap-eating salary no other team would touch, a backup making $5 million who the coaches won't even let throw a pass and use as a blocker on the punting unit, and a way over the hill formerly league average QB who was only average because of his legs and hasn't started in years. Yeah, league average sounds great!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Diamond
Maude Lebowski

Post by Diamond »

The Sybian wrote:
brian wrote:

I would kill for a league average QB. That sounds fantastic right about now. Way better than a shitty QB with an enormous cap-eating salary no other team would touch, a backup making $5 million who the coaches won't even let throw a pass and use as a blocker on the punting unit, and a way over the hill formerly league average QB who was only average because of his legs and hasn't started in years. Yeah, league average sounds great!
I, too would also kill for the opportunity to ridiculously overpay a league average qb. Beats two guys who've each had two failures at being the man or trying to guess which shit sandwich has the prize inside in this draft.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Romo is more than solid. You can definitely win a superbowl with him.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

brian wrote:
Game, set, match.

As a longtime Cowboys fan, I'm effectively neutral about Romo.

My Eagles-fan family thinks poorly of him. I got a text right after the extension asking how I felt... My response: "Could be worse, could have been spent on Vick."
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Not a free agency deal, but... Who's excited about the Carson Palmer era in Arizona? Guess it's an upgrade, but there's no way the Cardinals can compete in this division.
Shrew
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Shrew »

devilfluff wrote:
brian wrote:
Game, set, match.

As a longtime Cowboys fan, I'm effectively neutral about Romo.

My Eagles-fan family thinks poorly of him. I got a text right after the extension asking how I felt... My response: "Could be worse, could have been spent on Vick."
As a long time Cowboy hater and suffering Skins fan who would like to again suggest that Minnesota is being punished by g-d for the Herschel Walker trade, Romo is a good QB who throws for a metric ass load. I blame his supporting cast. I think he pretty much won me the Swamp FF title.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Nnamdi Asomugha to the 49ers in a one-year deal.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

romo is a bad decision on legs. I can't stand the cowboys or romo, but no, you can't win a superbowl with him. He is a piece of shit when it counts. Thats why the cowboys will never get to where it really counts.
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!