The Captain Trips Anxiety thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Re: The Captain Trips Anxiety thread

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:23 pmWe host Thanksgiving every year. We were trying to figure out a way to do something outside. We bought heat lamps, and figured we would pick the warmest day between Wed - Sunday to do something. Now that it's gotten so bad, we aren't even going to try. If they are smart, they will make the schools full remote until mid January, because I hear a lot of people saying they are travelling or having family over for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
They are not. It doesn't even matter who the "they" is.

I am trying to figure out if I can visit my mom in her nursing home/rehab facility for her birthday the week of Thanksgiving. 800-mile round trip for about ten minutes through glass. Thinking I just need to bag the idea even though I haven't seen her since Christmas.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Two cases at our second facility in town. Only found out about it because I thought about going over there to discuss an issue with the lady that does the bank reconciliation. Boss told me I should do it remote, but I told him it usually works best being with the person so there is no misunderstanding. He then told me about the two cases. Not sure why it wasn't told to us before that. Pretty sure he just doesn't want me back worthing from home.
And now some fuck who's cubicle is in the same open air space as mine has it. Probably got it from going to his weekly poker games. He was supposed to have suet on Monday for some reason and they tested him. Dumb fuck is already in piss poor health, has the fucking nerve play in those poker games.
We had already planned on doing solo Thanksgiving. My parents are staying home. We might video them along with my brother's family and sister's family.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Four person Thanksgiving here too. Sucks, because its my favorite travel holiday by far, but it would be far too stupid to hang out indoors with a bunch of 70+ year old parents.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:41 pm Just got a call from my son's school saying he was exposed to someone who tested positive last Wednesday. Seems a bit odd, as he was remote school that week, and his X-Country practices were cancelled after Monday. Not sure if the school gave us the wrong date or what. My wife is trying to figure out if its from the kid she gave a ride to last Monday, but the kids mother is being all coy and avoiding questions. Last week when the shit first got out, my wife reached out and she ignored the questions by asking how we like our new house. I had to text the father to get info. My wife asked point blank, we'll see if she gets a response. My wife always has bad allergies this time of year, but if the kid she drove was positive, she wants to get tested. Just fucking tell us, lady.

Been trying all afternoon to get my son a test, but testing place that requires an appointment is booked through next week, and I called the walk in clinics, and they ran out for the day. The only one I can't confirm had 14 people in front of me on the phone queue. I've called them for various things in the past, never been put on hold before. Really fucking frustrating. I don't know if I even need to get my son a test, it's already been a week or 9 days since his exposure, and they asked him to quarantine for one week which isn't a big deal, except we got the call while I was taking him to an ortho appointment, so he was in the ortho office for over an hour. Masked in the waiting room, but obviously not while in the chair.
So are you isolating your son inside your house? That'd suck for him. Or is it too late for that anyway?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Jen's dad is coming up from Asheville, he's been feeling very isolated (Jen's mom died middle of last year). We are going to all get Covid test here five days before he arrives - should get results back in time to tell him to not come just in case one of us is positive. We are planning on doing the meal outside on the patio - anything with temps in the 50s or above midday should work. Fingers crossed.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:53 pm
The Sybian wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:41 pm Just got a call from my son's school saying he was exposed to someone who tested positive last Wednesday. Seems a bit odd, as he was remote school that week, and his X-Country practices were cancelled after Monday. Not sure if the school gave us the wrong date or what. My wife is trying to figure out if its from the kid she gave a ride to last Monday, but the kids mother is being all coy and avoiding questions. Last week when the shit first got out, my wife reached out and she ignored the questions by asking how we like our new house. I had to text the father to get info. My wife asked point blank, we'll see if she gets a response. My wife always has bad allergies this time of year, but if the kid she drove was positive, she wants to get tested. Just fucking tell us, lady.

Been trying all afternoon to get my son a test, but testing place that requires an appointment is booked through next week, and I called the walk in clinics, and they ran out for the day. The only one I can't confirm had 14 people in front of me on the phone queue. I've called them for various things in the past, never been put on hold before. Really fucking frustrating. I don't know if I even need to get my son a test, it's already been a week or 9 days since his exposure, and they asked him to quarantine for one week which isn't a big deal, except we got the call while I was taking him to an ortho appointment, so he was in the ortho office for over an hour. Masked in the waiting room, but obviously not while in the chair.
So are you isolating your son inside your house? That'd suck for him. Or is it too late for that anyway?
Too late to isolate him from us, but we aren't letting him leave the house for another week. School was already moved to full remote for two weeks and all sports cancelled, so he was mostly in the house the past week anyways. He did go to the ortho, so I feel like we should get him tested to let the ortho know if he is positive. It's been 9 days since he was with any kids in his school, so I don't think his close contact could be from anyone else. No symptoms at all, so if we keep him in the house for the rest of the week, not a big deal. I should say keep him in the yard. He can shoot hoops or bag leaves or play outside, just not letting him see friends for another week. My daughter has a soccer tournament this week, so the plus side for him, he doesn't have to sit through 4 of her games. Tournament is in NJ, but it's 2 hours each way. We had hotels, but they are afternoon games, so everyone is driving home. Going to be a long weekend, 8 hours driving for 4 hours at the field.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

For us, we're just going to be the two of us (my daughters are with their mom this year), but we are trying to figure out what to do about Kelsey (the gf's autistic daughter). She hasn't been to our place since this all started.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:34 pmGoing to be a long weekend, 8 hours driving for 4 hours at the field.
Hope you don't have to shit, bud.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:57 pm
The Sybian wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:34 pmGoing to be a long weekend, 8 hours driving for 4 hours at the field.
Hope you don't have to shit, bud.
Afternoon games, I’m a morning shitter, should be fine, but I’ll keep you posted.
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Love the 4 game mentality. And there's a decent shitter at a closed dunkin donuts behind a gas station about 2 exits before delaware on the nj turnpike. Figure you're headed south if it's two hrs.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

Tuckahoe?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:25 am Love the 4 game mentality. And there's a decent shitter at a closed dunkin donuts behind a gas station about 2 exits before delaware on the nj turnpike. Figure you're headed south if it's two hrs.
Thanks for the tip, but Elflaco is correct, tournament at Tuckahoe, which is way East of the Turnpike, closer to Atlantic City.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:27 am
HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:25 am Love the 4 game mentality. And there's a decent shitter at a closed dunkin donuts behind a gas station about 2 exits before delaware on the nj turnpike. Figure you're headed south if it's two hrs.
Thanks for the tip, but Elflaco is correct, tournament at Tuckahoe, which is way East of the Turnpike, closer to Atlantic City.
I'd give you some recommendations but it's the off season so I don't know what's still open and plus look what fucking thread we're in....
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:34 am
I'd give you some recommendations but it's the off season so I don't know what's still open and plus look what fucking thread we're in....
Thanks, but shitter recommendations for this weekend are mile down my priority list at the moment. And as an avid follower of your bathroom reviews, I can pull up the history.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:35 am
Thanks, but shitter recommendations for this weekend are mile down my priority list at the moment. And as an avid follower of your bathroom reviews, I can pull up the history.
Not what I meant!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:43 am
The Sybian wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:35 am
Not what I meant!
Right, you are a urinal reviewer. My mistake.

Probably not eating or going anywhere while we are there. Games at 2:30 and 3:45 both days, so driving to fields, playing back to back games and leaving.
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I’ve been a web designer, who has worked from home the past 7 years. I just earned a BS degree in cybersecurity and am now in a masters program for cybersecurity technology. This, in hopes of landing a job as a cybersecurity analyst somewhere.

It’s long since been in the back of my mind that I will have to readjust to shitting on the outside.
Last edited by EnochRoot on Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

We're having some anxious discussions regarding Christmas. I really want to visit my 80-something parents. But, they aren't very good about Covid-prevention. They regularly go to restaurants. And, my dumb brother and his wife who also aren't very good about Covid-prevention will also be around, possibly with some of her family. So, now my wife is getting panicky about going out there during the holidays, which I understand. So, I am stuck in the middle, as usual.

I'm going to phone my mother and propose we visit after the holidays, when airports will be less busy (and my brother and his will not be around.) I don't expect that conversation to go well. Shit.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Was mostly joking though it was a decent bathroom for covid concerns. Do tournaments give your daughter 4 guaranteed games? Never gotten that. Usually 4th is a final or sometimes the third is a semifinal and once no finals just round robin.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Since we're talking elite public bathrooms, the Macy's at my local mall does (or did) have what looked like a normal stall, but then if you went in it went straight back then turned left creating a large kid's bedroom sized room for just a single toilet. Was the best.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:53 pm Was mostly joking though it was a decent bathroom for covid concerns. Do tournaments give your daughter 4 guaranteed games? Never gotten that. Usually 4th is a final or sometimes the third is a semifinal and once no finals just round robin.
Two brackets in every group, 1st in Bracket A plays first in Bracket B, 2nd plays second etc... Perfect, so they get a true final and everyone gets 4 games. Although last year at a summer tournament run by the same league (EDP), that's what was advertised, and it ended up only being a final, so we only got 3 games.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Gov. Inslee and his wife were on TV tonight asking everyone in the state to cancel any plans for big Holiday gatherings.

Its not going to work, but at least he's trying.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

People blaming college students for breakouts really annoys my dick off. Maybe standard dorms are different than where I went, but we had like 100 rooms in one building with a single shared kitchen, six communal bathrooms and one main entrance/exit point. There's no way to actually be safe in that situation even if everyone were trying, let alone when some kids have off-campus jobs or go grocery shopping or, as 18 through early 20-somethings do, interact with other people.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

But they're literally tracing cases to college house parties.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm sure they are, and I'm sure those house party participants spread to other kids in the dorm just like adults who go to restaurants or social gatherings or meetings with the president can spread to other university staff who tried to remain safe. Its still blame-casting.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I guess it depends on individual communities and what the actual data shows in those communities.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The bad times are arriving. Hope it hammers the red state governors especially hard:

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:29 am The bad times are arriving. Hope it hammers the red state governors especially hard:

Yeah, no thanks on that part.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I hope it forces people to realize that the people in charge let them down enough to consider better leaders, but not that it hammers the people themselves. I imagine this was probably what Bengal was saying, but I won't put words in his mouth.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Yeah. That. Sorry - not trying to wish death on the good people in those states (and especially you and yours Chedda), but, fuck Iowa generally. A repub governor that won't do any restrictions that just voted for Trump by 8 points...just. Fuck that. The North and South Dakota govs, the Iowa gov, etc - will there finally be blame shifted to them? Because, there should be.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I mean, the level of crazy here is gonna kill millions:

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:21 am Yeah. That. Sorry - not trying to wish death on the good people in those states (and especially you and yours Chedda), but, fuck Iowa generally. A repub governor that won't do any restrictions that just voted for Trump by 8 points...just. Fuck that. The North and South Dakota govs, the Iowa gov, etc - will there finally be blame shifted to them? Because, there should be.
Well, my sister and family live in Iowa, so I'm not on board with that either. I do get the sentiment though.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

There was a good "But what about the multiples of the seven who died who had a good time" response.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Well as long as the denizens of Manchester suffer TB will be happy
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

rass wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:47 am Well as long as the denizens of Manchester suffer TB will be happy
Or Maine 1? Or whoever voted for Collins?

I am pretty pissed this is happening like this.

Jen was laid off earlier this week. I hope my job holds. But jury trials just got postponed again - now til after first of year in Maryland. A lot of uncertainty because fuckers won't wear masks and Trump and Rebub guvs and legislatures made this political.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

For the record I knew you were gonna make me feel like an ass going into that joke. Sorry man
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:51 am
rass wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:47 am Well as long as the denizens of Manchester suffer TB will be happy
Or Maine 1? Or whoever voted for Collins?

I am pretty pissed this is happening like this.

Jen was laid off earlier this week. I hope my job holds. But jury trials just got postponed again - now til after first of year in Maryland. A lot of uncertainty because fuckers won't wear masks and Trump and Rebub guvs and legislatures made this political.
Sucks man, and I agree with you completely that the Repubs in power who won't do a damn thing should pay for it. But, this virus isn't working like that. No jury trials really sucks for the plaintiff's bar. Insurance companies can afford to wait as long as possible. Shit, that's what they do all the time when there isn't a pandemic.

Ron DeathSentence is proposing to apply the already horrible Stand Your Ground laws to protests, and has Republicans leading both houses in FL.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Didn't mean to clapback. We should be ok for now - she is trying to shift to something she has wanted to do for awhile and if it works out, this may yet be a "blessing", whatever that means. Obviously there are really good people in every state and really shitty people in every state. The politicization of this continues to leave me almost blinded by anger.

As for me, I hold my breath on the regular given who my employers are and the link to MLB's fortunes. Just...tenuous as hell.

If this goes sideways, I will be tennbengal-now-living-in-western-NC-w-Jen's-dad at some point...
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

P.D.X. wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:11 am But they're literally tracing cases to college house parties.
Yes. As I understand it - both from news stories and from anecdotal comments from my daughter - people aren't blaming dorm living nearly as much as they are blaming house parties.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian