Home Repairs

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Home Repairs

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:10 pm
brian wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:07 pm This was going to happen anyway -- the pandemic is just going to accelerate it.
This was closer to what I was wondering. I've been home for over a decade, the first in my company but tons have joined since. I guess I was curious if it would curve back up next March or not.
Completely agree. I work for an HR outsourcing company, and prior to COVID we encouraged clients to move towards more remote workers. We used to have a culture of allowing WFH, I've been almost exclusively remote for 4 years, despite having an office near my home. Our current head of HR prefers in-office work for collaborative purposes, so she resisted closing our offices at first. Apparently our measurable data shows people have been more productive working from home, but many colleagues I speak to are looking to return to offices. As far as our clients, the overwhelming feedback is that work from home for office workers has been much more successful than expected, and many are talking about getting rid of office space completely, or downsizing and keeping people working remote.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

WRT work from home, isn't insurance a huge savings on this matter? I mean I know you can't do manufacturing from home but think about all the workman's comp and insurance paid for slips and falls and the like at offices all over the country. That can't be a non-zero factor. Saving money on overhead, saving money on insureables, seems like a win win.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:16 pm WRT work from home, isn't insurance a huge savings on this matter? I mean I know you can't do manufacturing from home but think about all the workman's comp and insurance paid for slips and falls and the like at offices all over the country. That can't be a non-zero factor. Saving money on overhead, saving money on insureables, seems like a win win.
One of the biggest expenses for any non-manufacturing company after salaries is office space. If you can significantly reduce or eliminate that it's a huge win. If I had any money to play with I'd probably be trying to figure out a way to short REITs that specialize in office space.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I just so happened to have listened to a podcast in February that chronicled the shitshow that was (is) WeWork.

So, that had me thinking about commercial real estate right around the time this all started to pop up. I'm actually pretty sure we got into this topic many months ago, talking about what industry were going to thrive/crumble during the pandemic.

I'm with the majority of folks here... There's really not a lot of valid reasons to push the vast majority of non-essential workers back into full-time office spots. I can see wanting a monthly or quarterly in-person meeting (18-24 months from now). But without a vaccine or herd immunity?

Fuck that noise.

I was at a small gathering for one of the neighborhood kids who turned 21 yesterday. I started talking about college football and long-term health effects of COVID... Totally forgot my buddy contracted it back in July.

That's a new faux pas I hadn't thought about: Covid Shaming.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

phxgators wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:52 pm
Rush2112 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:36 pm
Giff wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:25 am
It's too bad neither of you live in western Colorado. We're looking at leasing our house here (it's still a hot market too somehow) and renting an apartment/small house somewhere like Glenwood Springs.
Hopefully it's still there, big big ass fire just east in the canyon. I-70 has been closed for like a week. We're starting to smell/see the smoke here.
Yeah, had to close the windows here this morning since we were staying to smell it.
Same here...only other times Longs Peak has been hidden from my view like this is during a heavy snowfall.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

Once kids are back to school en masse, WFH will be even more attractive.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:12 pm I just so happened to have listened to a podcast in February that chronicled the shitshow that was (is) WeWork.

So, that had me thinking about commercial real estate right around the time this all started to pop up. I'm actually pretty sure we got into this topic many months ago, talking about what industry were going to thrive/crumble during the pandemic.

I'm with the majority of folks here... There's really not a lot of valid reasons to push the vast majority of non-essential workers back into full-time office spots. I can see wanting a monthly or quarterly in-person meeting (18-24 months from now). But without a vaccine or herd immunity?

Fuck that noise.

I was at a small gathering for one of the neighborhood kids who turned 21 yesterday. I started talking about college football and long-term health effects of COVID... Totally forgot my buddy contracted it back in July.

That's a new faux pas I hadn't thought about: Covid Shaming.
Assuming that was the Wondery Podcast "WeCrashed," it was phenomenal. The narrator was fantastic, the writing was great and the story was unbelievable. Our boy Hood was General Counsel for WeWork. I was texting him while listening to the podcast, and he backed up all the crazy shit in the pod. He sent me a fantastic article about WeWork, and several of the anonymous quotes were so clearly his words it was hilarious. My weekly call with my boss was 50% discussing this podcast during the run. They were a client of ours, and as they became too large, we partnered with them, offering all their tenants a special program. She had a ton of great insight, as the wacko CEO was a speaker at my company's sales conference, and my boss said it was the most bizarre presentation she has ever seen. One of the main interviewees in the podcast left my company to work for WeWork, and my boss knew her well, so she gave me a lot of background there, too.

Tying this back to the commercial real estate market, my company recently moved a lot of offices around the country from long term leases to WeWork spaces. The leases were all month to month, so we are saving a fortune by walking away from those leases while we are WFH. I don't know how they survived as a company pre-COVID, but I really can't imagine how they survive now. OTOH, I could see companies downsize from large permanent offices to keeping small office spaces in WeWork buildings to have a spot for employees to work when they need to be in cities. I had to visit a client in a WeWork space while in the middle of the podcast run, and all the "yoga-babble" bullshit on the cups and painted on walls were absolutely cracking me up. I did appreciate the variety of fruit infused water towers, and the wide array of snacks were impressive.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

brian wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:26 pmIf I had any money to play with I'd probably be trying to figure out a way to short REITs that specialize in office space.
Yup, me too, although we probably missed the decline by months. I was actually wondering if it might not be a good idea to buy up some commercial real estate soon at rock bottom prices as companies try to dump it off their books. I figure eventually there will be some use for a lot of existing office buildings even if it isn't cube farms anymore.
Totally Kafkaesque
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Escape rooms!
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Meth labs.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:14 pm Escape rooms!
It took a pandemic to get most of the people out of their offices.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Shirley wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:52 am
brian wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:26 pmIf I had any money to play with I'd probably be trying to figure out a way to short REITs that specialize in office space.
Yup, me too, although we probably missed the decline by months. I was actually wondering if it might not be a good idea to buy up some commercial real estate soon at rock bottom prices as companies try to dump it off their books. I figure eventually there will be some use for a lot of existing office buildings even if it isn't cube farms anymore.
Opportunity to buy the office building. Landlord going to get foreclosed. It's empty though. We're the only tenant left. Probably for the best cause the landlord signed down bad leases but don't want to float those costs for the next long while. Nice building. Close to Marta and airport. Anyone want a two story office building? Complete with a bank vault. You could do some freaky shit in there. Filmed an "Atlanta" scene there so it's hood famous.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Since I dropped a bomb a bit back about moving, we're putting the brakes on that plan, but only because of the election. If the polls start to narrow closer to the beginning/middle of October, the house is going on the market as a precaution because if Trump wins we'll sell it for whatever we can get for it and we're moving to Mexico.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, I'm generally a pathetic excuse for a real man when it comes to any home work. We know a handyman that doesn't charge too much, so I call him for anything much. But, today I had a couple minor things I thought I could handle, so I went for it.

First I replaced the weatherstripping on the front door threshold plate. Then I replaced a couple burned out fluorescent tubes in the garage. Then, I fixed a couple messed up sprinklers on the lawn.

May not sound like much to you tough guys, but I'm now rewarding myself with a beer for my successful afternoon's work.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:24 pm So, I'm generally a pathetic excuse for a real man when it comes to any home work. We know a handyman that doesn't charge too much, so I call him for anything much. But, today I had a couple minor things I thought I could handle, so I went for it.

First I replaced the weatherstripping on the front door threshold plate. Then I replaced a couple burned out fluorescent tubes in the garage. Then, I fixed a couple messed up sprinklers on the lawn.

May not sound like much to you tough guys, but I'm now rewarding myself with a beer for my successful afternoon's work.
I thought the staff at the old folks home did all the maintenance for their residents?
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

duff wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:17 pm
sancarlos wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:24 pm So, I'm generally a pathetic excuse for a real man when it comes to any home work. We know a handyman that doesn't charge too much, so I call him for anything much. But, today I had a couple minor things I thought I could handle, so I went for it.

I thought the staff at the old folks home did all the maintenance for their residents?
shots fired! pensioner down, i repeat, pensioner down!
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

He’s been asleep for hours.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Had a couple guys just finish up renovating the master bath to get the house ready to sell. Looks pretty damn good. New shower, completely tiled. New tile everywhere. New faucets etc.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:31 pm He’s been asleep for hours.
Just posting for posterity.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

duff wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:17 pm

Maybe it’s the booze talking, but I just burst out laughing way too hard at this. Love you, Pat!
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:06 pm
mister d wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:31 pm He’s been asleep for hours.
Just posting for posterity.
Early riser even on the weekends.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

brian wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:43 pm Had a couple guys just finish up renovating the master bath to get the house ready to sell. Looks pretty damn good. New shower, completely tiled. New tile everywhere. New faucets etc.
how badly did the master need renovating/why did you do it just to sell vs. enjoy yourselves too given that the value holds pretty well with decent cleaning and maintenance?
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:25 pm
brian wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:43 pm Had a couple guys just finish up renovating the master bath to get the house ready to sell. Looks pretty damn good. New shower, completely tiled. New tile everywhere. New faucets etc.
how badly did the master need renovating/why did you do it just to sell vs. enjoy yourselves too given that the value holds pretty well with decent cleaning and maintenance?
We really weren't planning on selling this fall until a couple of months ago, but it could have impacted people interested in the house. It was still original from when the house was built (1998), so plastic shower walls and original tile, etc. We only spent $5K on it so shouldn't have any problem making it back right away I don't think.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Any of you mf-ers ever move a coax cable from one point in your wall to another? We want to move one about 10 feet and I'm not sure of the practicality of doing so. It's a condo so there's no attic or crawl space or anything like that, I'd have to either locate cable behind the wall at the intended outlet point (if there's any there which I doubt) or fish it quite a ways through the wall.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I would think you'd have to remove a section of drywall to allow you to run it through the studs to the new point. And it's probably cut to exact length, so you're going to have to use a connector, so make sure that sucker is TIGHT before you seal it up.

I guess it would look too tacky to run it along the floor?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:25 am I would think you'd have to remove a section of drywall to allow you to run it through the studs to the new point. And it's probably cut to exact length, so you're going to have to use a connector, so make sure that sucker is TIGHT before you seal it up.

If possible, break into your neighbor's place and remove *their* drywall to do this.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Gunpowder wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:18 am Any of you mf-ers ever move a coax cable from one point in your wall to another? We want to move one about 10 feet and I'm not sure of the practicality of doing so. It's a condo so there's no attic or crawl space or anything like that, I'd have to either locate cable behind the wall at the intended outlet point (if there's any there which I doubt) or fish it quite a ways through the wall.
I'm doing this next week ... but I have the benefit of it being in the ceiling and half of the basement ceiling exposed before I feed it between the floor rafters and the studs.

As Steve asked ... is your trim white? can you paint a cable white and attach it to the trim? Will it be super visible?
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

A_B wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:25 am I would think you'd have to remove a section of drywall to allow you to run it through the studs to the new point. And it's probably cut to exact length, so you're going to have to use a connector, so make sure that sucker is TIGHT before you seal it up.

Yeah though behind baseboards is probably plan B.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:36 am
Gunpowder wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:18 am Any of you mf-ers ever move a coax cable from one point in your wall to another? We want to move one about 10 feet and I'm not sure of the practicality of doing so. It's a condo so there's no attic or crawl space or anything like that, I'd have to either locate cable behind the wall at the intended outlet point (if there's any there which I doubt) or fish it quite a ways through the wall.
I'm doing this next week ... but I have the benefit of it being in the ceiling and half of the basement ceiling exposed before I feed it between the floor rafters and the studs.

As Steve asked ... is your trim white? can you paint a cable white and attach it to the trim? Will it be super visible?
Yes, this is how they had it beforehand and it's some of the tackiest college-dorm shit I'd ever seen.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I've also seen that wireless cable transmitters are a thing. Anyone have experience with that?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Gunpowder wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:56 am

Yes, this is how they had it beforehand and it's some of the tackiest college-dorm shit I'd ever seen.
No one is making you live with a girl
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

image.png
image.png (149.37 KiB) Viewed 379 times
wut
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

rass wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:58 am
Gunpowder wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:56 am

No one is making you live with a girl

"This is where I want the TV"

Well yeah but that's extremely impractical

"It has to be here"
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

WTF. I assumed this was for the modem. It's for a TV? TVs still use cable?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:36 am is your trim white?
Dude, that is quite an insulting and racist question about Lady GPJ. I'm shocked and disappointed in you.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:43 am
Dude, that is quite an insulting and racist question about Lady GPJ. I'm shocked and disappointed in you.
Crackerjack. 🤣🤣
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Finally convinced her of the mountainous challenges in moving the TV spot. Crisis averted for the moment.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:43 am
Lol
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Gunpowder wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:57 pm Finally convinced her of the mountainous challenges in moving the TV spot. Crisis averted for the moment.
Good for you. That's a never ending battle for me, not just TVs, but everything in the house. Laws of physics don't apply to the female decorating mind. Completely forgot, we actually did have this issue hanging our TV. Had a general contractor hang a tv over the fireplace while he was here building a mudroom. Due to the location of the power outlet, he couldn't perfectly center the TV. It drove my wife nuts, and she drove me nuts, so I had another guy come back to hang the tv. He had the move the location of the outlet. I think he ended up cutting a hole in the drywall, splicing the wires and putting in a new outlet, running the new wire from the existing one, so we didn't have to tear up the walls. Left a hole in the wall, but it's behind the TV, so who cares.
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:35 pm
Gunpowder wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:57 pm Finally convinced her of the mountainous challenges in moving the TV spot. Crisis averted for the moment.
Left a hole in the wall, but it's behind the TV, so who cares.
Rookie Appraisers.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."