Random Politics

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Random Politics

Post by Johnnie »

If I were better prepared, maybe I would've gotten around to mentioning that just because a city in California has a lot of people doesn't mean that they are all liberals. 3 on 1 debates are hard enough when I can't even make a point and the topic changes.

But the premise of all their notions was "conservatives better, we need a baked in advantage because America is so liberal."

That's not even a fair base to even start a discussion.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Just simply ask them if they'd be cool with it if Trump won the national vote but lost the electoral college vote.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:56 am Just simply ask them if they'd be cool with it if Trump won the national vote but lost the electoral college vote.
I'll have to do that next time.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Wait, what?

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Never has a thread title matched a post more than this one.

WTF.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:14 am
Oh my!

Add to the fact that Limbaugh will be worm meat soon, and that is so delicious.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Pruitt wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:24 am Add to the fact that Limbaugh will be worm meat soon, and that is so delicious.
phrasing
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Finally looked at the local measures. We're getting wolves!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:04 pm
Par for the course, he insisted on a face to face meeting.
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I've never seen this. It's hilarious.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

This has the potential for some serious comedy.

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:46 am This has the potential for some serious comedy.

You know, in all my barely contained anxiety, I was pretty optimistic Biden would win. But I wasn't really able to focus on what that might look like.

I anticipated that Trump would further undermine the office (and himself, mostly) by bitching about losing. But my brain wasn't really ready for much more than that.

If what we're seeing this week is any indication, the GOP is going to be shredded by the Trumpists.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Everything Trump touches dies.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:48 amIf what we're seeing this week is any indication, the GOP is going to be shredded by the Trumpists.
We can only hope. My fear is that the GOP has already lost the never-Trumpers, so everyone who is left will get behind whoever ends up speaking for the deplorables.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:51 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:48 amIf what we're seeing this week is any indication, the GOP is going to be shredded by the Trumpists.
We can only hope. My fear is that the GOP has already lost the never-Trumpers, so everyone who is left will get behind whoever ends up speaking for the deplorables.
And at that point, I'll trot out my old chestnut: That's not a sustainable path in the mid- and long-term for a national party. The demographics are working against the GOP if they try to play straight to the White Woe is Me constituency.

The one thing the GOP has had over the Dems for decades is an extremely easy to rally (and control) patch of voting blocs. If that starts to crumble, they are fucked.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:54 am
And at that point, I'll trot out my old chestnut: That's not a sustainable path in the mid- and long-term for a national party. The demographics are working against the GOP if they try to play straight to the White Woe is Me constituency.

The one thing the GOP has had over the Dems for decades is an extremely easy to rally (and control) patch of voting blocs. If that starts to crumble, they are fucked.
Maybe. But if the public focus stays on the (mostly justified) grievances of Blacks, I think you'll see more Latinos and Asians coming down on the "white" side of the divide and go Republican. I think it's quite likely that's a big part of what happened last week.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I don't see how the Trumpers and Never-Trumpers can coexist unless Trump disappears. I think the GOP would be wise to remove all Trump influence as soon as he leaves office and pretend it never happened. They can't outright condemn Trump or the past 4 years, just slip it into the memory hole and hope they don't lose Trumpers. I think they can do this by stoking fear through lies of Biden's Radical Leftist agenda. Let the Never-Trumpers believe they are retaking the Party without the Trumpers feeling like they need to leave the Party. I just don't see Trump letting go of the spotlight or the millions of worshippers. Both for his ego and for the cash trough they provide. While I would love for Trump to disappear and never have to hear from him again, I'd also love to see the GOP have a reckoning for allowing the monster to take over the Party. It'll be fascinating to see how this all pans out, but for some reason, the GOP are always able to land on their feet and double down on the cheating, lying and horrible behavior and rebuild a base.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:06 am
I don't see how the Trumpers and Never-Trumpers can coexist unless Trump disappears. I think the GOP would be wise to remove all Trump influence as soon as he leaves office and pretend it never happened. They can't outright condemn Trump or the past 4 years, just slip it into the memory hole and hope they don't lose Trumpers. I think they can do this by stoking fear through lies of Biden's Radical Leftist agenda. Let the Never-Trumpers believe they are retaking the Party without the Trumpers feeling like they need to leave the Party. I just don't see Trump letting go of the spotlight or the millions of worshippers. Both for his ego and for the cash trough they provide. While I would love for Trump to disappear and never have to hear from him again, I'd also love to see the GOP have a reckoning for allowing the monster to take over the Party. It'll be fascinating to see how this all pans out, but for some reason, the GOP are always able to land on their feet and double down on the cheating, lying and horrible behavior and rebuild a base.
Part I bolded is because they have a 24-hour propaganda network that will shamelessly lie for them to promote whatever narrative they want.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

brian wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:50 am Everything Trump touches dies.
I read Rick Wilson's book by this name. It was ok.

And I didn't pay a cent for it.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:10 am

Part I bolded is because they have a 24-hour propaganda network that will shamelessly lie for them to promote whatever narrative they want.
Yes, and convinced their viewers that everyone who disagrees is lying and pushing a false narrative to help the Dems.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If we've learned anything its that the Dems will bend over backwards to court this group via policy while depending on everything left to give them their margins.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I was browsing Reddit last night and saw a link to this Russian book:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundat ... eopolitics

Scary how much of that plan has been put into action: "Russia should use its special services within the borders of the United States to fuel instability and separatism, for instance, provoke "Afro-American racists". Russia should "introduce geopolitical disorder into internal American activity, encouraging all kinds of separatism and ethnic, social and racial conflicts, actively supporting all dissident movements – extremist, racist, and sectarian groups, thus destabilizing internal political processes in the U.S. It would also make sense simultaneously to support isolationist tendencies in American politics".
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Really good interview with John Fetterman. Have to say I've been really impressed with him these last few weeks and he hits the nail on the head several times in this interview. With Toomey retiring in 2022, I'd have to put Fetterman as the odds-on favorite to be the next junior senator from PA.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I think Pelosi retires in 2022, right? Either way, she's probably done.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Redistricting will play a role and the effects of that can be measured and assumed somewhat, but I think it's a bad idea to assume what's going to happen in an election two years from now where Trump will not be on the ballot.

Historically the assumption would be the Dems will lose some seats, but there will be a lot of Senate seats in play for them and I don't think past history is going to be any guide for the next decade or two in national politics.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:13 pm Really good interview with John Fetterman. Have to say I've been really impressed with him these last few weeks and he hits the nail on the head several times in this interview. With Toomey retiring in 2022, I'd have to put Fetterman as the odds-on favorite to be the next junior senator from PA.
This guy should be the face of the party.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:24 am
brian wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:13 pm Really good interview with John Fetterman. Have to say I've been really impressed with him these last few weeks and he hits the nail on the head several times in this interview. With Toomey retiring in 2022, I'd have to put Fetterman as the odds-on favorite to be the next junior senator from PA.
This guy should be the face of the party.
Braddock, stand up!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The crazy Qanon lady used "my body, my choice" when discussing masks. Wonder where she stands on abortion?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:33 am
I dunno. Didn't AOC also say something like that a few months ago, which conservatives jumped on as proof that she was stupid?

I don't really want to slam someone for not remembering that that three "branches" of government are different from the three bodies involved in the legislative process.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I think it's a fair criticism of anyone in one of the branches, and the way this is phrased doesn't leave much room for "I Misspoke" so much as a fundamental misunderstanding.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:03 pm
A_B wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:33 am
I dunno. Didn't AOC also say something like that a few months ago, which conservatives jumped on as proof that she was stupid?

I don't really want to slam someone for not remembering that that three "branches" of government are different from the three bodies involved in the legislative process.
Why should we expect more exactitude about basic civics knowledge from someone who has been elected to one of those bodies? Give Senator Dipshit a break!

eta: or what AB said
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World