Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by Nonlinear FC »

MaxWebster wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:59 pm i just got a good laugh catching up on the last 2 pages here
In my defense, I did stipulate to being stupid.

Not sure what bengal's excuse is.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:48 pm
MaxWebster wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:59 pm i just got a good laugh catching up on the last 2 pages here

Years of track record.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I think it's worth not burying that Ryan's post was pretty damn funny even without the guys missing the joke and making it funnier.
Totally Kafkaesque
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Nothing gets by Shirley!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, my "god dammit" was half because I thought I was about to call him out for a mass-produced joke and half because my brain immediately tried to start singing his version.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

600 = 3 shifts of 200
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

89-year-old man gets COVID.

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Only 87. He'll be fine and if not then whatever.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Ryan wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:58 pm What a giant pair of bozos
I left my idiocy there to brighten y'alls day.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:56 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:48 pm

Years of track record.
(checks teams I root for)
(checks my age)

Nods.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:15 pm
Ryan wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:58 pm What a giant pair of bozos
I left my idiocy there to brighten y'alls day.
It's a tits joke, Bengal.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Why this hasn't been more of an, ahem, viral trend is weird, right?

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:55 pm Why this hasn't been more of an, ahem, viral trend is weird, right?

I probably talked about this in the past couple years but I had a TBI back in '14 and I lost my sense of smell as a result. I can taste, but not nearly as strong as I once did. It took me a couple weeks for me to recognize taste through the blindness of the lack of smell.

I remember wondering what was the point of not being able to taste anything until I could. Still can't smell anything. Don't expect that to ever recover. But it is what it is.
Noli Timere Messorem
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I know but JFC

MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

western new york now the highest rate in NYS and we've gone *orange* (sadly not in a Swampy-sarcastic way) so schools fully remote starting Monday. Saw this coming of course....

If there is any positive, we can't believe my oldest made it through her first semester at college, coming home on Tuesday just in time i think.

TL;DR: we're all fucked.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Do you guys think the government response would have been different if it was say 2017, and not an election year?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:04 pm Do you guys think the government response would have been different if it was say 2017, and not an election year?
Not really, the election is over. The GOP has just given itself over to this bizarre idea that the economy will be shattered if we lockdown some very specific types of businesses as opposed to trying to bail those businesses out and then control the virus through contract tracing, etc. In short, it's a combination of their hubris and anti-science bent.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

It sure would have been here in Kentucky. And that's with the knowledge that it's starting to get really really bad here. But I don't think the Federal response would have been different.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:10 pm It sure would have been here in Kentucky. And that's with the knowledge that it's starting to get really really bad here. But I don't think the Federal response would have been different.
Our Republican governor we had in 2017 probably would have done a good/similar job as far as state restrictions, mask mandates, etc. He was very smart and very competent. However, if the GOP candidate had won in 2018 right now Nevada would basically be up there with North and South Dakota. He's one of the goobers helping with the baseless fraud lawsuits in NV.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:04 pm Do you guys think the government response would have been different if it was say 2017, and not an election year?
This is a really interesting question. On one hand, I definitely think Trump tried to play down and wish away the pandemic so it didn't hurt his election chances, but on the other hand, he had no interest in doing any work to handle the pandemic, and even in 2017, he would have only cared about the pandemic making him look bad, so he probably would have had a similar response.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:24 pm
This is a really interesting question. On one hand, I definitely think Trump tried to play down and wish away the pandemic so it didn't hurt his election chances, but on the other hand, he had no interest in doing any work to handle the pandemic, and even in 2017, he would have only cared about the pandemic making him look bad, so he probably would have had a similar response.
Yeah, I honestly don't doubt Trump's response would have been exactly the same, as well as most of his quislings in various governorships. He had people whispering in his ear that the choice was getting the pandemic under control or "saving the economy" not realizing that getting the pandemic under control would have saved the economy.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

That sums up my take. He doesn't take intelligence briefings, because he gets bored with complex issues. He was constantly leaning on the economy even back then. The idea that something was going to get in the way of that.. nah. He isn't a serious or thoughtful person. No real difference.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:28 pm
That sums up my take. He doesn't take intelligence briefings, because he gets bored with complex issues. He was constantly leaning on the economy even back then. The idea that something was going to get in the way of that.. nah. He isn't a serious or thoughtful person. No real difference.
I do think he had a smidge of strategy in trashing Dems for taking precautions so he could blame the Dems for the economic downturn, while claiming credit for the lives saved. How many times has he trashed Dem governors or Biden for closing economies or wearing/requiring masks, then in the same sentence brag that if it wasn't for his bold actions, 2 million would have died?
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

When you are totally having a normal one (also, this isn’t going to go away anytime soon if enough of the population is this batshit crazy and I think they are):

BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

This is not religion. This is mental illness.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Whoa whoa whoa. Are we implying that a church is using their status to push a political or social agenda???
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Hooray for capitalism!

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:24 am When you are totally having a normal one (also, this isn’t going to go away anytime soon if enough of the population is this batshit crazy and I think they are):

That's the town I was born in and lived in until I was 6.
Totally Kafkaesque
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

So sad and angry right now. My 101 y.o. grandmother lives by herself in an over 55 apartment building not far from us and my parents. In the middle of the night a week or so ago she got up to go the bathroom and fell. Luckily she didn't break anything, but she did open up some serious gashes on her arm and leg that have required hospitalization. Because of COVID, only my mom has been able to visit her. Given her age, and the need for professional wound care, the hospital won't release her anywhere but to a rehabilitation facility. Of course all of the rehab facilities are on lockdown due to COVID, and she'll have at least a 10 day, maybe 14 day, quarantine period before anyone can visit her. After the quarantine is up, only one person, likely my mom again, can visit and only for a small amount of time each day. It is taking everything I have to not go ham as I scroll through FB at all of the people who are participating in activities that are causing this pandemic to continue. I'm mad at them. I'm mad at my governor, our president, and all other leaders who have led to this place.

Thanks for being a place where I can vent. TWILTS.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Shirley wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:54 pm
tennbengal wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:24 am When you are totally having a normal one (also, this isn’t going to go away anytime soon if enough of the population is this batshit crazy and I think they are):

That's the town I was born in and lived in until I was 6.
How glad are you that life took you away from there...
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

The worst part, people are paying this group to educate their children. I'm sure they are getting a quality education in science and history.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:09 pm So sad and angry right now. My 101 y.o. grandmother lives by herself in an over 55 apartment building not far from us and my parents. In the middle of the night a week or so ago she got up to go the bathroom and fell. Luckily she didn't break anything, but she did open up some serious gashes on her arm and leg that have required hospitalization. Because of COVID, only my mom has been able to visit her. Given her age, and the need for professional wound care, the hospital won't release her anywhere but to a rehabilitation facility. Of course all of the rehab facilities are on lockdown due to COVID, and she'll have at least a 10 day, maybe 14 day, quarantine period before anyone can visit her. After the quarantine is up, only one person, likely my mom again, can visit and only for a small amount of time each day. It is taking everything I have to not go ham as I scroll through FB at all of the people who are participating in activities that are causing this pandemic to continue. I'm mad at them. I'm mad at my governor, our president, and all other leaders who have led to this place.

Parts of this matches what's going on with my mom for the last three months, although for a much more serious medical issue (infection inside the bones of her spine, rehab still ongoing, but improved because of a Parkinson's diagnosis - it's a wacky world, huh?). If not for the recent COVID upswing, I was planning on making a 12-hour round trip drive for a ten-minute through-glass visit for her birthday next week because I haven't seen her since before New Year's.

Hang in there, chedda.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:09 pm So sad and angry right now. My 101 y.o. grandmother lives by herself in an over 55 apartment building not far from us and my parents. In the middle of the night a week or so ago she got up to go the bathroom and fell. Luckily she didn't break anything, but she did open up some serious gashes on her arm and leg that have required hospitalization. Because of COVID, only my mom has been able to visit her. Given her age, and the need for professional wound care, the hospital won't release her anywhere but to a rehabilitation facility. Of course all of the rehab facilities are on lockdown due to COVID, and she'll have at least a 10 day, maybe 14 day, quarantine period before anyone can visit her. After the quarantine is up, only one person, likely my mom again, can visit and only for a small amount of time each day. It is taking everything I have to not go ham as I scroll through FB at all of the people who are participating in activities that are causing this pandemic to continue. I'm mad at them. I'm mad at my governor, our president, and all other leaders who have led to this place.

Jesus. I’m sorry, Chedda. Good luck. (You too DSafe.)
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Thanks. She's way more with it than you'd expect at that age, but also not ready to die and completely afraid of it. She's also completely reliant on my mom. Sounds like they may get her to a rehab place tonight. Gonna be a rough quarantine period, and hopefully she heals up quick.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Damn. Good luck.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:32 pmHow glad are you that life took you away from there...
I probably would have been a hell of a meth dealer.

(actually, no, I'm a pussy. I'd have sucked.)
Totally Kafkaesque
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Shirley wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:28 pm
tennbengal wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:32 pmHow glad are you that life took you away from there...
I probably would have been a hell of a meth dealer.

(actually, no, I'm a pussy. I'd have sucked.)
You want a patty melt with some fries or a 'tato salad or did you just come for a black coffee and some meth?

FTR my wife does a mean rerun dance.
Noli Timere Messorem
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Kentucky is closing all indoor dining starting tonight at 5. Carryout and outdoor still allowed (though outdoor season is pretty slim these days), and while we have basically been doing it for the most part, we aren't going to order carryout from the chains and stick with smaller regional or local restaurants.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

A_B wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:14 am Kentucky is closing all indoor dining starting tonight at 5. Carryout and outdoor still allowed (though outdoor season is pretty slim these days), and while we have basically been doing it for the most part, we aren't going to order carryout from the chains and stick with smaller regional or local restaurants.
I'm expecting this soon in Indy as well.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."