Ridiculous Things You Read On Facebook

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Ridiculous Things You Read On Facebook

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:09 am So my wife's college friend who is a hardcore Trumper that continually post Tomi Lauren and other "pundits" along with idiotic memes pulled directly from Fox:

"What is your thoughts on Fox Nation? We all know Fox News is horrible! It’s History in my book."
While I love seeing Fox fall, it's disturbing to think that their loss in viewership will directly translate into more viewers for OAN, NewsMax and other even less reputable and more insane sources of news.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:11 am
Rush2112 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:09 am So my wife's college friend who is a hardcore Trumper that continually post Tomi Lauren and other "pundits" along with idiotic memes pulled directly from Fox:

"What is your thoughts on Fox Nation? We all know Fox News is horrible! It’s History in my book."
While I love seeing Fox fall, it's disturbing to think that their loss in viewership will directly translate into more viewers for OAN, NewsMax and other even less reputable and more insane sources of news.
The balkanization of right-wing media is probably a net good though unless it causes Fox to react by becoming more unhinged.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

exactly. While crazy can get devoted viewers, I'm not so sure crazy can maintain the massive ratings lead that Fox has had for decades.
Totally Kafkaesque
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Remember that fake breaking news report movie that aired on Halloween back in the 90s about an alien invasion and the last scene is everyone at NASA or whatever celebrating because they blew up the asteroid and then they all start looking horrified and the camera pans over to the board and there are now thousands of smaller asteroids flying into the radar?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It all comes down to Fox. If they hold the line on having a mostly independent, mostly rooted in reality news operation, then the various right-wing factions will just have to fight reality amongst themselves and it will probably result in a lot of additional radicalization, but will probably also result in a lot of people being unintentionally "de-programmed" especially if the civil war amongst the media networks is fought publicly.

If Fox just gives in and goes full nutball like OANN or Newsmax, then yeah -- we're completely fucked.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

As others have said they are all going to go to other, perhaps more off their rocker, "sources." I wonder if they're going to have anywhere near the same message. One of the things about Fox is that Hannity and others are pretty much in lockstep in their message. Are OANN, MAGANews, and NaziTV all going to be pounding home the same propaganda (aside from anti-AOC bullshit.)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:32 am As others have said they are all going to go to other, perhaps more off their rocker, "sources." I wonder if they're going to have anywhere near the same message. One of the things about Fox is that Hannity and others are pretty much in lockstep in their message. Are OANN, MAGANews, and NaziTV all going to be pounding home the same propaganda (aside from anti-AOC bullshit.)
Also, a good point. Fox News literally just reads off RNC bulletpoints, which is invaluable for pounding home the message they want to get out to their cult members. It's literally just regurgitating propaganda as news, especially on the "opinion" shows like Hannity, etc. Having different messages depending on the network is going to make the process of keeping these people in line a lot harder.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

OAN just reads off Putin's talking points. They're not always going to align.
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

There's a woman I went to High School with, who's been a vocal Trump/Republican supporter for a long time. Couple of days ago, she posted about how her two daughters, who she's sure voted for Trump, had their mail-in ballots "rejected" in New Mexico, who just proves that Trump didn't really lose the election.

Of course, when people started to ask for proof/evidence, she started whining about how mean people are, and how they are being terrible to her because she's a Hispanic who supports Trump.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Quitting Facebook, or couldn’t help masturbating?

Jerloma wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:15 pm Image
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:13 pm Quitting Facebook, or couldn’t help masturbating?

Jerloma wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:15 pm Image
Quitting masturbating to facebook is my guess
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I got accused of attacking someone for asking for a citation for "We forget that Covid was created in a lab in China." Straw that broke the camel's back.

Complete and utter cesspool.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I kept my Facebook, but nuked every post, picture, and tag from it after the election 4 years ago. I figure if I'm keeping Instagram and WhatsApp, I can keep a shell of Facebook.

I made only a couple public posts since then and several in a private Facebook group. It's worth deleting because it's so full of ads and suggestions to pages alone. Add in the misinformation, disinformation, and general delusion of it all and it's basically cyber radicalization.

Ya know, the way ISIS does it.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

DaveinSeattle has some crazy people on his feed. Woof.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

bfj wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:35 pm DaveinSeattle has some crazy people on his feed. Woof.
Its what I get for letting my pissed off state loose on Facebook.

That's my cousin. Yeah, she's nuts. Boy, am I glad I blocked my Aunt a few months ago.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:55 pm
bfj wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:35 pm DaveinSeattle has some crazy people on his feed. Woof.

That's my cousin. Yeah, she's nuts. Boy, am I glad I blocked my Aunt a few months ago.
She seems nice
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:55 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:55 pm

She seems nice
One of my friends texted me saying 'Sorry I came over the top rope'...
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Sorry for my comment today and I've deleted it. I really shouldn't scroll through Facebook from the shitter. Did get some nice messages from her husband (or someone related to her) though. I don't feel bad about telling him his kid isn't his.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I long ago purged ppl from my Fb feed that support Trump. Like, back in 2017. There are a number of ppl that disagree with me, but apparently choose not to engage. Probably because I also leave them alone.

I've been pretty much off the platform for months, so the last two days have felt good to just lay it out there.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Blake or shall I address you by a more fitting name.... Skippy. It must really be hard sitting back behind a keyboard on the Internet miles away harassing a woman, aren’t you.?
This is Jen’s husband. I normally don’t respond to decedent peon forms of life such as yourself, however I’ll make this a special occasion for such a special little guy. I try not to include other family members as a rule in my conversations, but Once again I’ll make you the exception to the rule little guy I will gladly reciprocate.
I’ve never cheated on my wife. No matter how much your wife has begged I still have refused and resisted...after all I don’t do charity work. It’s funny that she is still actually consider a virgin because she’s never had a real man (wow you’re a real Casanova) Oh and by the way after looking at your picture I really appreciate seeing what AIDS looks like blown up on a microscope slide a thousand times ( that is some serious disturbed looking sh!t)
So Skippy, Anywhere or anytime you would like to meet for a beer or just a good old conversation you let me know where and when. I have to go because you know who is calling me AGAIN!!!
HA! Little does he know!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Giff wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:57 pm
Blake or shall I address you by a more fitting name.... Skippy. It must really be hard sitting back behind a keyboard on the Internet miles away harassing a woman, aren’t you.?
This is Jen’s husband. I normally don’t respond to decedent peon forms of life such as yourself, however I’ll make this a special occasion for such a special little guy. I try not to include other family members as a rule in my conversations, but Once again I’ll make you the exception to the rule little guy I will gladly reciprocate.
I’ve never cheated on my wife. No matter how much your wife has begged I still have refused and resisted...after all I don’t do charity work. It’s funny that she is still actually consider a virgin because she’s never had a real man (wow you’re a real Casanova) Oh and by the way after looking at your picture I really appreciate seeing what AIDS looks like blown up on a microscope slide a thousand times ( that is some serious disturbed looking sh!t)
So Skippy, Anywhere or anytime you would like to meet for a beer or just a good old conversation you let me know where and when. I have to go because you know who is calling me AGAIN!!!
HA! Little does he know!
Lol.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

He called me skinny too (I mean, I feel like I'm too fat to noticeably have AIDS)!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Its amazing how all of those guys write exactly the same. Do me a favor and write back with just "which oakleys do you wear" and see if he responds.

(I gave up on responding to randoms on social media under the assumption one of them would eventually kill me but I do miss it.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

decedent peon forms

band name called it!
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Giff wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:01 pm He called me skinny too (I mean, I feel like I'm too fat to noticeably have AIDS)!
Skinny Skippy!
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:01 pm Its amazing how all of those guys write exactly the same. Do me a favor and write back with just "which oakleys do you wear" and see if he responds.

(I gave up on responding to randoms on social media under the assumption one of them would eventually kill me but I do miss it.)
My first response was "new presdient, who dis?"
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Is "decedent" even the right word to use? I'm struggling to figure out how saying "person that is dead" makes any sense in that insult...
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I read that as a misspelling of “decadent”.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Decadent would still make no sense.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

GoodKarma wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:05 pm Decadent would still make no sense.
Didn't Hitler rail against "decadent" culture, art, etc.?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

If and when I get my freedom to be an asshole on social media again (the military really limits my free speech rights), my response to people like this is just going to be things like:

"Burisma. HUNTER BIDEN. But her emails. Make America Great Again. Stop the steal. Benghazi. BuT HuNtEr BiDeN's EmAiLs. BURISMAGHAZI. Make America Stop The Steal Again. ..."

And just keep going until I fill a wall of text. Copy/pasta.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'll handle it for you in the meantime.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Respectfully, why waste the energy? And BP rise?

Or is it all pure gravy for you guys?

And I'm not being pedantic or whatever, I'm honestly curious. When I get to the point of getting into it with those people, I'm honestly pissed. Are you guys just detached and having a larf?
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

To some degree I'm perpetually pissed off these days so reading that shit wouldn't cause a spike, it would provided a deserving outlet.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:16 am Respectfully, why waste the energy? And BP rise?

Or is it all pure gravy for you guys?

And I'm not being pedantic or whatever, I'm honestly curious. When I get to the point of getting into it with those people, I'm honestly pissed. Are you guys just detached and having a larf?
Calling someone a dumb mutherfucker when they're being a dumb mutherfucker is therapeutic to me.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:45 am Maybe a bunch of us swampers could try the mewe thing and form a group there as an alternative to the Facebook group and test it out for a bit?

Their privacy policy seems pretty damn good and a quick search on the founder shows he seems to be a privacy advocate:

https://mewe.com/privacy
Or not
MeWe's loose moderation has made it popular among conspiracy theorists, including proponents of the far-right QAnon conspiracy theory, which was banned from Facebook in 2020, and the "Stop the Steal" conspiracy theory relating to the 2020 United States presidential election.[2][3][12][13] According to Rolling Stone, MeWe has "played host to general interest communities related to music and travel, but it has also come to be a haven for anti-vaxxers, QAnon conspiracy theorists, and, as reported by OneZero, far-right militia groups."[3] Vice has described MeWe as a "major anti-vaxx forum".[1] BBC News has described some of the content on MeWe as "extreme" and compared it to that of Gab.[14] Business Insider has reported that some of the most popular groups on MeWe focus on "extreme views, like anti-vaccine rhetoric, white supremacy, and conspiracy theories."[12]

Shortly after the 2020 United States presidential election, MeWe and other alt-tech platforms experienced a wave of signups from Trump supporters, following crackdowns on election-related misinformation and promotion of violence on mainstream social networks.[15][16] On November 11, MeWe was the second-most downloaded free app on the Apple App Store, behind its fellow alt-tech social network Parler.[2] However, Mashable noted MeWe's practice of creating accounts on behalf of users and businesses who were not users of the site may have served to inflate the amount of activity on the platform.[2] MeWe also gained popularity in Hong Kong in November, with users migrating from Facebook due to concerns with possible pro-China censorship and moderation.[4][17]
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Yeah, that's bad. I have not been back to that since I tried it as an alternative.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

This woman just left our org. I’ve bitten my tongue for 6+ years while reading all of her stupid posts. I responded to this post by answering every question. She deleted my post. I put a laughing reaction on all of her stupid posts blaming antifa and equating everything to the BLM riots.

Dumb woman I used to work with wrote:
I’m going to need some help from my Democratic Liberal friends:

1. Can I borrow the #NotMyPresident hashtag or is that reserved for President Trump?

2. Who do I contact to see if Republicans are boycotting the Inauguration, like the Democrats did for President Trump?

3. Do I have to accept the election results, or can I cry for four years, claiming election interference?

4. Am I entitled to see Biden’s tax returns to learn how his income jumped dramatically in one year (I mean, we all know how and why. Just show the proof.)?

5. Am I allowed to trash anything that Biden says, without repercussion, because I’m just expressing myself?

6. Is there a sign-up somewhere for riots, do organizers call me, or how does that work, since I didn’t get my way?

7. Are businesses targeted because they supported Biden, or do I just pick a business that has something I want to take home?

8. Were the thousands of businesses that boarded up for fear of riots, for Conservatives or Liberals? If they were for Conservatives, did I miss the riots already???

9. Where are the safe spaces at? Is there a map or something? I may need to go cry for a little while (because of how stupid our country has become).

10. Does all the free stuff your party has promised, just come or do I have to quit my job first?

11. What is the address you guys have been sending all that extra tax money to, since you think people aren’t paying enough in taxes? I’m sure you have been voluntarily sending in more than required...

12. When my 401K crashes, will the President Elect make up for that in give-a-ways, or am I just screwed?

13. Since Socialism is what you just voted in, if my neighbor has something I want, do I just take it or do I have to let him know I’m taking it (Personally, I have had my eye on the brand NEW Mercedes SUV, a couple of doors down ... Biden sign in yard.).

14. When gas gets unaffordable, is there an EBT card for that?

15. I have seen the gatherings of Conservatives protesting the election results, but something is wrong, nothing is getting destroyed. Did you guys go to a class for that, or could you provide some pointers on how to do it right, please?

16. The Conservative gatherings were dubbed super spreader events, yet the protests and now election gatherings by Liberals, are not. Did you guys secretly come out with the vaccine?

17. Funny how the CDC has come up with a vaccine, soon after you were pronounced the President Elect. Can you, all your family, and colleagues take it first, to ensure it works?

18. So, now you are the President Elect and soon to be President Biden, Is every death now on you, or is it President Trump's responsibility, just at your convenience?

19. During Biden's State of the Union Address, is Nancy going to tear up the speech on national television, or does she only do that with President Trump?

I’m sorry for all the questions, this is all new to me. I want to make sure I get it right!

#hypocrites
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Heh.