2020 NBA Draft & Off-season Extravaganza

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Rex
The Dude

2020 NBA Draft & Off-season Extravaganza

Post by Rex »

Aren’t trades supposed to be, like, balanced and stuff?

And what else do the Warriors have under consideration that they didn’t accept this on the spot?
Giff
The Dude

Re: 2020 NBA Draft & Off-season Extravaganza

Post by Giff »

I'm just happy to have an interest, I guess?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Given the way last year unfolded, the college BB season being blown up, etc., I have no idea what is a good or bad off-season move or draft pick strategy at this point.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think the only real set-in-stone strategy this offseason is "don't trade from your sparse asset pool to acquire a fading star on a massive contract who won't make your 21-45 team any better and you won't even get the side benefit of additional fans coming to see him because there won't be fans".
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:46 am Given the way last year unfolded, the college BB season being blown up, etc., I have no idea what is a good or bad off-season move or draft pick strategy at this point.
Most of the college players were probably only getting 3-5 extra games even if it hadn't blown up, so player values were probably mostly set barring a huge tourney run by some team.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:51 am I think the only real set-in-stone strategy this offseason is "don't trade from your sparse asset pool to acquire a fading star on a massive contract who won't make your 21-45 team any better and you won't even get the side benefit of additional fans coming to see him because there won't be fans".
Luckily Michael Jordan runs a team.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A_B wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:57 amMost of the college players were probably only getting 3-5 extra games even if it hadn't blown up, so player values were probably mostly set barring a huge tourney run by some team.
It messes up the draft for me because conference tourneys and the leadup to the dance is where I get like 80% of my college basketball knowledge.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Rex wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:47 am

Aren’t trades supposed to be, like, balanced and stuff?

And what else do the Warriors have under consideration that they didn’t accept this on the spot?
That just doesn't make any sense to me, especially with a draft as weak as this one. I thought Carter showed a lot of promise as a young pro, and when he was in college, I thought he had the potential to be better than his higher-regarded teammate Marvin Bagley. Carter is big, can block shots, and he can shoot 3s.
Totally Kafkaesque
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Draft strategy would seem to have to take into account a presumed salary cap reduction. Don't know ins and outs but seems like lots of teams might not have room to sign guys. What about picks? Can you even sign picks if you're over?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

From what little I've picked up about the draft this year, this is what I would guess:

Lots of draft experts are saying LaMelo Ball is the #1 overall pick, some even saying he is the obvious pick in this draft class. Minnesota, however, may not end up taking him because of some positional redundancy with DeAngelo Russell. They may also really like Malik Beasley, who they got from Denver last season and started their last 14 games, averaging almost 21 points and 5 rebounds while shooting 47% FG and 42.6% from three on over eight attempts per game.

If Ball doesn't go #1 overall, Chicago may be very interested in getting him, being willing to overpay for him with Carter (they've apparently soured on Carter some already), which would help clear playing time at center for Lauri Markkanen. Carter is a more traditional center while Markkanen is a much stronger perimeter threat (his 106 threes and 34.4% shooting from deep were career lows, although the former is due to the shortened season and injury).

Adding Ball would give them a backcourt of Ball and Zach LaVine (taking a lot of playmaking responsibility off LaVine's plate) and move Coby White to a combo guard/instant offense guy off the bench. They could then run more of a 5-out offense with Ball creating and distributing while surrounded by shooters.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:04 am
A_B wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:57 amMost of the college players were probably only getting 3-5 extra games even if it hadn't blown up, so player values were probably mostly set barring a huge tourney run by some team.
It messes up the draft for me because conference tourneys and the leadup to the dance is where I get like 80% of my college basketball knowledge.
99% for me
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:57 am
tennbengal wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:46 am Given the way last year unfolded, the college BB season being blown up, etc., I have no idea what is a good or bad off-season move or draft pick strategy at this point.
Most of the college players were probably only getting 3-5 extra games even if it hadn't blown up, so player values were probably mostly set barring a huge tourney run by some team.
Sure sure. That was more personal to me - I really only start to truly pay attention to college BB at tournament time and last year was full of prospects overseas anyway, to the point that I have NO idea who is good or being slept on or might make a good NBA prospect from my particular armchair this time around.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Dammit. What Mr. D said.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

This is roughly equivalent to grading a college football player based on their bowl game.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

brian wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:08 pm
This is roughly equivalent to grading a college football player based on their bowl game.
Pretty sure Mr. D is not a scout - nor am I. I think you all are conflating an observation (as to me anyway) that it is hard to armchair QB this NBA off-season because I feel so removed from any kind of knowledge of most of the prospects - acknowledging that such knowledge is not uber-great in best of times as I am not a scout and also don't watch a ton of college BB. But even with that, not having NCAA tourney and being now 10 months from last college BB games basically, it is hard to have even loose opinions in my case.

Carry on.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I didn't mean grading literally, but while I agree with your (and his) point, most players drafted from college get at most two games in the tournament. Ja Morant being a perfect example from two years ago. I assume that's the kind of example you guys are making.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

[quietly hides 400 page binder full of "???" where numerical to the second decimal point grades are usually housed]
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

brian wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:20 pm I didn't mean grading literally, but while I agree with your (and his) point, most players drafted from college get at most two games in the tournament. Ja Morant being a perfect example from two years ago. I assume that's the kind of example you guys are making.
Actually that's a pretty awful example.

(Because my uncle is a very proud Murray State grad.)
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

brian wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:08 pm
That's kinda true, but on the other hand, tournament games are the most important games of the season. 98% of college bowl games are glorified exhibitions.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Not sure why I'm always more intrigued by the Nba off season than its regular season, but here I am:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I think Giff and TT should find some investors and buy the Rockets.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:22 pm
brian wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:20 pm I didn't mean grading literally, but while I agree with your (and his) point, most players drafted from college get at most two games in the tournament. Ja Morant being a perfect example from two years ago. I assume that's the kind of example you guys are making.
Actually that's a pretty awful example.

(Because my uncle is a very proud Murray State grad.)
Also, because the two games I saw of him in the tourney totally convinced me I needed him on the Grizzlies when they lucked into the #2 overall pick.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:36 pm I think Giff and TT should find some investors and buy the Rockets.
Shit, he's been on a commercial lately for the 'nug. Didn't realize he was he.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

If you put Fertitta in a lineup with your average looking Trump supporter and said "one of these people is a billionaire and owns the Houston Rockets" I wouldn't have been able to pick him out and I'd probably laugh at you until you said "No, seriously. And he's the CEO of all the Landry's restaurants."

And I'd still doubt it.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Aside from the hair, he kinda looks like James Murphy in the early stages of anaphylactic shock.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

How does this work as far as having flexibility to trade future 1sts? Would those have to have conditions as well to account for Houston’s shares?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Ruh roh.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Adam Silver looks like he has AIDS.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Future interactions between Michael Jordan and LaVar Ball have the potential for lots of entertainment value.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Looooooove the Knicks pick.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:41 pm Looooooove the Knicks pick.
Best plug and play available IMO.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

A_B wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:14 pm
mister d wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:41 pm Looooooove the Knicks pick.
Best plug and play available IMO.
If Thibs can get him to ramp up on defense, he could be one of the best in the league. Comparisons to Amare Stoudemire have been made.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Oh, sorry guys. I was talking about Immanuel Quickley.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:45 am Oh, sorry guys. I was talking about Immanuel Quickley.
I think he is going to be a good role player for several years, too!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Man ... now I'm thinking again about how much it sucks the Knicks whiffed on the lottery because Morant + Toppin would be super fun atleast on one side of the court. Maybe Myles Powell (whom I also love) will (very, very) poor man that role for a bit.
RSL
Jackie Treehorn

Post by RSL »

I cannot believe I missed the draft. Too many distractions. Who should I be laughing at?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »