Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Re: The WH Transition Thread --- all things Trump to Biden until Inauguration

Post by psunate77 »

The Republicans ultimate end game is exposed

https://www.newsmax.com/politics/rudy-g ... id/997453/

I know this has been beaten to death, but these people are all the same and with them having an advantage on the SCOTUS I will still feel nervous until Jan 20th.

There are rules, but since when have they cared about rules.
“Frankly this is a case that we would like to get to the Supreme Court,” he said. “So we're prepared in some of these cases to lose and to appeal and to get it to the Supreme Court.
I also don't trust Roberts, Kavanaugh, and Barrett.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I will remain skeptical until I see meaningful long-term results from the president hailing from Delaware.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Still feels treasonous to me - and like the Republicans currently in the WH and busy propping up the WH still are a hostile occupying enemy force:

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:32 pm I will remain skeptical until I see meaningful long-term results from the president hailing from Delaware.
Well, yeah.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Wayne County now rescinding their certification of results.

psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Such a shitshow
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

psunate77 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:52 pm Wayne County now rescinding their certification of results.

The deadline for certification had already passed when they signed this affidavit. Nothing to see here.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

cerrano wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:51 am
psunate77 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:52 pm Wayne County now rescinding their certification of results.

The deadline for certification had already passed when they signed this affidavit. Nothing to see here.
That may be true, but there could be two issues..

1) They said they were force to certify under threats including those to their family. If they have proof of that, the courts can easily over turn this. If they don't this could be a way to get to the SCOTUS on an appeal. The one huge plus is Monica Palmer had an ethics hearing yesterday and is possibly facing jail time for a prior charge. She has another hearing on Jan 21st.

2) The more important issue, this could easily be a way for to put pressure on other districts not to certify the votes. We have already heard about Graham calling SOS and Gov. Now we get Arizona Gov who have said they will not certify until all legal options are off the table.

Either way, there is no way this grandstanding is good. It's just going to put more pressure on Biden when he gets into the WH, whenever that is. Seems like Senate is also involved in keeping this going as long as possible. The Dems better stop worrying about his cabinet and start paying attention here.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Let us not forget about this..

The National State of Emergency Declaration..
But will they? Unknown to most Americans, a parallel legal regime allows the president to sidestep many of the constraints that normally apply. The moment the president declares a “national emergency”—a decision that is entirely within his discretion—more than 100 special provisions become available to him. While many of these tee up reasonable responses to genuine emergencies, some appear dangerously suited to a leader bent on amassing or retaining power. For instance, the president can, with the flick of his pen, activate laws allowing him to shut down many kinds of electronic communications inside the United States or freeze Americans’ bank accounts. Other powers are available even without a declaration of emergency, including laws that allow the president to deploy troops inside the country to subdue domestic unrest.

This edifice of extraordinary powers has historically rested on the assumption that the president will act in the country’s best interest when using them. With a handful of noteworthy exceptions, this assumption has held up. But what if a president, backed into a corner and facing electoral defeat or impeachment, were to declare an emergency for the sake of holding on to power? In that scenario, our laws and institutions might not save us from a presidential power grab. They might be what takes us down.

1. “A LOADED WEAPON”

The premise underlying emergency powers is simple: The government’s ordinary powers might be insufficient in a crisis, and amending the law to provide greater ones might be too slow and cumbersome. Emergency powers are meant to give the government a temporary boost until the emergency passes or there is time to change the law through normal legislative processes. Unlike the modern constitutions of many other countries, which specify when and how a state of emergency may be declared and which rights may be suspended, the U.S. Constitution itself includes no comprehensive separate regime for emergencies. Those few powers it does contain for dealing with certain urgent threats, it assigns to Congress, not the president. For instance, it lets Congress suspend the writ of habeas corpus—that is, allow government officials to imprison people without judicial review—“when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it” and “provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions.”

Nonetheless, some legal scholars believe that the Constitution gives the president inherent emergency powers by making him commander in chief of the armed forces, or by vesting in him a broad, undefined “executive Power.” At key points in American history, presidents have cited inherent constitutional powers when taking drastic actions that were not authorized—or, in some cases, were explicitly prohibited—by Congress. Notorious examples include Franklin D. Roosevelt’s internment of U.S. citizens and residents of Japanese descent during World War II and George W. Bush’s programs of warrantless wiretapping and torture after the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Abraham Lincoln conceded that his unilateral suspension of habeas corpus during the Civil War was constitutionally questionable, but defended it as necessary to preserve the Union.

The Supreme Court has often upheld such actions or found ways to avoid reviewing them, at least while the crisis was in progress. Rulings such as Youngstown Sheet & Tube Company v. Sawyer, in which the Court invalidated President Harry Truman’s bid to take over steel mills during the Korean War, have been the exception. And while those exceptions have outlined important limiting principles, the outer boundary of the president’s constitutional authority during emergencies remains poorly defined.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... rs/576418/
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

psunate77 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:06 am
cerrano wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:51 am

That may be true, but there could be two issues..

1) They said they were force to certify under threats including those to their family. If they have proof of that, the courts can easily over turn this. If they don't this could be a way to get to the SCOTUS on an appeal. The one huge plus is Monica Palmer had an ethics hearing yesterday and is possibly facing jail time for a prior charge. She has another hearing on Jan 21st.
And the state will still certify the results. While McConnell has appointed 25% of the federal bench, a case based on that doesn't seem to go anywhere, but wtf do i know?
2) The more important issue, this could easily be a way for to put pressure on other districts not to certify the votes. We have already heard about Graham calling SOS and Gov. Now we get Arizona Gov who have said they will not certify until all legal options are off the table.

Either way, there is no way this grandstanding is good. It's just going to put more pressure on Biden when he gets into the WH, whenever that is. Seems like Senate is also involved in keeping this going as long as possible. The Dems better stop worrying about his cabinet and start paying attention here.
The dems should stop worrying about governing despite taking over after 4 years of absolutely no governing which has resulted in the deaths of a quarter million US citizens? That's what Trump and the Repubs want? Don't play their game.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Amazes me how much illegal shit these guys get away with.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

psunate77 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:32 am Amazes me how much illegal shit these guys get away with.
I'm not a lawyer....but wouldn't that be like SUPER-DUPER illegal?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I know it's not gonna happen, but I'm hoping that instead of a ride on Marine One that Biden orders the Justice Department to arrest Trump at 12:01 p.m. on Jan. 20.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:16 am

I'm not a lawyer....but wouldn't that be like SUPER-DUPER illegal?
Of course, but the Attorney General is actively violating laws, procedures and norms to protect the President, so nothing will happen.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

It's weird to me how much people don't understand that "laws" are only as good and enforceable as everyone agrees they are. If someone acts with no regard for "laws" and on one can or will make them follow said "laws" - well, what you have there are just suggestions.

Trump and those tens of millions who prop him up believe that "laws" don't apply to him (and maybe them by extension). He was clear in signaling this with his clearly not in jest "I can shoot someone on 5th avenue and nothing will happen" thing. That's why the slow motion coup now. I know everyone expects him to stop this at some point, but, I remain unclear on WHY anyone would be sure of that. It is absolutely possible that he keep pushing against "norms" and "laws" until a dam breaks and he really doesn't go.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Uh-oh, Mister D now has Julia Roberts on his side.

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Rudy is melting...

psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Get ready for a fight folks.. I imagine GOP in PA, GA, AZ, and NV will be next...

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Again..I'm not a lawyer...but is quoting 'My Cousin Vinny' a good tactic?

L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Vincent Gambini was a talented lawyer who understood finer evidentiary points at trial. Rudy would be honored to be mentioned with Gambini's acumen.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:20 pm Vincent Gambini was a talented lawyer who understood finer evidentiary points at trial. Rudy would be honored to be mentioned with Gambini's acumen.
His direct examination of Marisa Tomei as an expert witness is held up as a perfect example of how to do it.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Guys, guys, guys...they found the mastermind behind the Democrats stealing the Election!

Its Hugo Chavez! Who died in...2013?
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:23 pm
L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:20 pm Vincent Gambini was a talented lawyer who understood finer evidentiary points at trial. Rudy would be honored to be mentioned with Gambini's acumen.
His direct examination of Marisa Tomei as an expert witness is held up as a perfect example of how to do it.
My Evidence prof played his examination of her as how the Daubert standard is applied.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Trump is on to the Electoral plan it seems.

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

In proof that we have entered the matrix, my YouTube feed just popped up with a lengthy clip from a lawyer extolling the virtues of My Cousin Vinny in terms of its legal accuracy.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Remember, they're all shitbags.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:30 pm Guys, guys, guys...they found the mastermind behind the Democrats stealing the Election!

Its Hugo Chavez! Who died in...2013?
Makes me feel young again hearing that "Communists" are evil masterminds.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:03 pm In proof that we have entered the matrix, my YouTube feed just popped up with a lengthy clip from a lawyer extolling the virtues of My Cousin Vinny in terms of its legal accuracy.
Naw, just the algorithm working. Tons of people searching for My Cousin Vinny clips for the same reason we are discussing it.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:19 pm
Really, really fucking wish Bill Maher had that when he was interviewing her.

She couldn't stop popping off about bullshit in that interview.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:08 pmReally, really fucking wish Bill Maher had that when he was interviewing her.

Why wouldn't Maher have that?
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Great thread and how I feel. What are the Dems doing about Trump basically going to steal the election or stay in power.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:45 pm
Johnnie wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:08 pmReally, really fucking wish Bill Maher had that when he was interviewing her.

Why wouldn't Maher have that?
It doesn't seem to have bubbled to the surface until sometime within the last couple days. And I don't think he or his writers go deep diving into post histories that someone else hasn't already done.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

So on your list of who you wanna see go to jail where do you rank Rudy?

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I’d certainly rank Rudy after The Donald, Barr, Junior, Jared, Barbie, Mitch, and Lindsaybug.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian