Home Repairs

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Home Repairs

Post by The Sybian »

I have a weird one. Clothes drier wasn't working. It was heating up, but clothes weren't drying and the lint in the lint trap was soaked. I was thinking maybe the vent was clogged and the moisture couldn't leave the machine. Detached the vent hose, and it was really wet inside, but not clogged. Hose isn't the right word, could probably roll a softball through it. Went into the attic where the hose vents through the roof, and noticed a U-shaped dip and it was completely full of water. I removed the hose from dryer and put the end in a bucket and drained the hose from the attic. Had to be more than 20 ounces of water in there. At first I was thinking the moisture from the dryer accumulated in the hose, but that seems like way too much water. Now I'm thinking rain water got in from the vent on the roof. We had 3 days of constant rain and strong winds. I'm hoping the vent isn't still stuck open, as there is no way I can get on the roof at that part of the house.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

That is a weird one. Your dryer vents through your attic level? Is that a common thing?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sure you aren’t looking at the washer?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:43 pm That is a weird one. Your dryer vents through your attic level? Is that a common thing?
No idea if it's normal. Laundry room is upstairs next to the master bedroom. Vent goes up the wall, through the attic and out through the roof. Right next to the chimney for the fireplace. I've always had laundry on the ground floor or basement with a vent out the side of the house.

ETA: Some interesting articles on the topic. Apparently people try to vent into the attic. Like just filling the attic with super humid air and lint debris. That's not advisable for obvious reasons. Venting through the attic is within code and acceptable, but not ideal as the attic isn't heated, and warm humid air can condense in the vent duct. Kind of happier to hear that rather than rainwater coming in through the vent. I know the inspector saw it, because he tried to tell me there was no chimney for the fireplace, and I found it in the attic and showed him.

I'm wondering if insulating the vent duct would help? I went a year without a problem, so if I have to empty the water once or twice a year, I guess I can deal with that.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

looking forward to eventually posting before/after pics of the basement. our cabinet install begins today. spent the entire week painting after they got done with the demo and the reframing
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I think venting the dryer into the attic isn't unusual, but it's not recommended. After I bought my house (over 20 years ago now), we learned that they vented the 2nd storey dryer down through the same exhaust vent as the downstairs bathroom. So if you don't turn the bathroom exhaust fan on, the humid air just falls down into the bathroom, making it humid as hell. Very annoying design. It also means that bathroom fan wears out every 2 years or so, because it has to run a lot and it gets clogged with damp lint.
Totally Kafkaesque
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Seems like a mold recipe.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

P.D.X. wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:21 pm Seems like a mold recipe.
We've gotten good at remembering to turn the fan on which seems to work pretty well. But if not, you get a humid bathroom, kinda like when someone takes a shower and hasn't turned the fan on yet.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, the wife and I disagree on this, so I thought I'd check with you guys and see if you think I'm being unreasonable.

Do you tip a tradesman who is doing service for you if he owns and operates his own company? We hired a guy who has a window-washing company. In addition to washing the windows, he is cleaning the gutters and the solar panels, all of which we are charged for. It isn't cheap. Since it is his own company, I don't think an additional tip is called for. The wife disagrees.

What say the Swamp?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:30 pm So, the wife and I disagree on this, so I thought I'd check with you guys and see if you think I'm being unreasonable.

Do you tip a tradesman who is doing service for you if he owns and operates his own company? We hired a guy who has a window-washing company. In addition to washing the windows, he is cleaning the gutters and the solar panels, all of which we are charged for. It isn't cheap. Since it is his own company, I don't think an additional tip is called for. The wife disagrees.

What say the Swamp?
I don't think I've ever tipped a tradesman for their work.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Sabo wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:35 pm
sancarlos wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:30 pm So, the wife and I disagree on this, so I thought I'd check with you guys and see if you think I'm being unreasonable.

What say the Swamp?
I don't think I've ever tipped a tradesman for their work.
Yeah, I wouldn't tip if you agreed on a price prior to the work as you'd expect. There would be a couple of instances where I would however. I've had a couple of times where they went above and beyond the scope of the agreed work after seeing something that wasn't on the quote and given an extra $20 or $40 or something like that.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I've tipped a guy that occasionally mows my lawn (he has a lawn business on the side) if I am out of town. Rate is $40 and I usually just give him $50.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I thought about if I should pay the guys working on the basement a little extra on the side, but instead told them like 2 days into the work that the beer fridge was available for them whenever they wanted.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

the gray I painted all over the basement ended up with a purple hue and absolutely clashed with the gray island that was installed on Saturday. So I've spent every night this week repainting over the gray. and since LA wanted to go with white, it's taken about four coats or so in spots because the walls are textured.

I don't actively hate painting. but I'm slowly starting to
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I would only tip the owner if he did extra work and didn't charge. I've tipped tradesmen, and they usually look surprised or uncomfortable. As for Bronto's beer comment, I'd be nervous having someone drinking while doing work.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:16 pm I would only tip the owner if he did extra work and didn't charge. I've tipped tradesmen, and they usually look surprised or uncomfortable. As for Bronto's beer comment, I'd be nervous having someone drinking while doing work.
God I'm glad you're not my boss!
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I never tip tradesmen/the owner of a business. I did once offer a contractor and his assistant each a bottle of Blanton's...the owner refused but the assistant took it.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

A_B wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:06 pm
The Sybian wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:16 pm I would only tip the owner if he did extra work and didn't charge. I've tipped tradesmen, and they usually look surprised or uncomfortable. As for Bronto's beer comment, I'd be nervous having someone drinking while doing work.
God I'm glad you're not my boss!
they stayed late the first night I offered and then I picked up a couple beer cans on about two other nights. if Miller Lite and Genny were messing up their drywalling skills I certainly haven't noticed

side note: they also drank the Genny Ice that was in my fridge so I'm kinda happy it's gone
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Now that's concerning. You sure you chose the right guys? Genny ice?

I watched a bunch of uninsured guys cut down cypress trees 10dt from a new porch and 20 ft from the house with no insurance. Bud tallboys everywhere. Bang up job. Did tip them.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Anyone ever try to clean a carburetor on a snowblower (or any gas engine, for that matter). Seems like it should be easy enough, I'm just afraid of not getting it back together, or not knowing if I broke it. I usually forget to drain the gas or add fuel stabilizer at the end of seasons. Usually, first snow or first time using the leaf blower, it takes a while to get it started. Today, I couldn't get it at all. I'm assuming it's the carburetor. Really pissed, as last storm, I tried getting it going and after about 10 pulls, the chord broke. I replaced it, got the blower started on the first pull and let it run for 5-10 minutes. Figured I'd be good to go. Nope. I found a repair guy who drives to your house, might have to give him a call. I had to have the carburetor replace on my power washer last year.

So, is it me? Am I fucking up by leaving gas in the machines during off seasons? Do you guys regularly clean out carburetors or tuneups on equipment?
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Perusing through my diary of worst memories I saw this post. First, picturing Mrs. Rass stretching to reach the magazine and screaming at Rass to throw it away cracked me up. At first glance, I thought this might be Melania on the mag. I don't think it is, but ... maybe?
rass wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:11 pm I mentioned elsewhere that we're getting our basement remodeled this week. I finally had to throw away the copy of Gallery I found stashed in the ceiling years ago. It had always annoyed my wife that I left it there, and she was too short to reach it herself, but disturbing a previous occupant's spank mag sort of felt like digging up a burial ground

-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:59 pm Anyone ever try to clean a carburetor on a snowblower (or any gas engine, for that matter). Seems like it should be easy enough, I'm just afraid of not getting it back together, or not knowing if I broke it. I usually forget to drain the gas or add fuel stabilizer at the end of seasons. Usually, first snow or first time using the leaf blower, it takes a while to get it started. Today, I couldn't get it at all. I'm assuming it's the carburetor. Really pissed, as last storm, I tried getting it going and after about 10 pulls, the chord broke. I replaced it, got the blower started on the first pull and let it run for 5-10 minutes. Figured I'd be good to go. Nope. I found a repair guy who drives to your house, might have to give him a call. I had to have the carburetor replace on my power washer last year.

So, is it me? Am I fucking up by leaving gas in the machines during off seasons? Do you guys regularly clean out carburetors or tuneups on equipment?
yeah, drain those bad boys

eta: the snowblower with electric start is a godsend
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:59 pm Anyone ever try to clean a carburetor on a snowblower (or any gas engine, for that matter). Seems like it should be easy enough, I'm just afraid of not getting it back together, or not knowing if I broke it. I usually forget to drain the gas or add fuel stabilizer at the end of seasons. Usually, first snow or first time using the leaf blower, it takes a while to get it started. Today, I couldn't get it at all. I'm assuming it's the carburetor. Really pissed, as last storm, I tried getting it going and after about 10 pulls, the chord broke. I replaced it, got the blower started on the first pull and let it run for 5-10 minutes. Figured I'd be good to go. Nope. I found a repair guy who drives to your house, might have to give him a call. I had to have the carburetor replace on my power washer last year.

I run Stabil through mine before winter hits then splash them with fresh gas in the spring. In a pinch have someone spray crab cleaner in the carb as you’re starting it. Loud but effective.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:44 pm

I run Stabil through mine before winter hits then splash them with fresh gas in the spring. In a pinch have someone spray crab cleaner in the carb as you’re starting it. Loud but effective.
Thanks, boys. I ran a gas stabilizer a few weeks ago, and I used one called Mechanic in a Can or something, let it sit for 4 hours, and it started immediately. I let it run for 10 minutes, thinking I was good. I put in some more of the mechanic in a can when it wouldn't start, let it sit, and nothing. Pretty sure I poured in fresh gas last month.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

My god I’m so glad cars don’t have carburetors anymore.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:21 pm

My dad told me to get the electric start, but I didn't have a convenient outlet in the old house. Now I do, and I deeply regret it. And I had to hear about it from him, "see, I told you to spring for the electric start, but you had to be cheap about it."
-Pruitt
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Probably could have put a new outlet in yourself, too.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:51 pm

My dad told me to get the electric start, but I didn't have a convenient outlet in the old house. Now I do, and I deeply regret it. And I had to hear about it from him, "see, I told you to spring for the electric start, but you had to be cheap about it."
shit i'm the guy still pushmowing his massive yard because I don't want to spend for a tractor -- and we now have a huge driveway that I'm shoveling by hand because of that same desire not to spend.

it's snowed just twice though -- the system you all got the last 48 hours was just constant rain here on Saturday.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:07 pm Perusing through my diary of worst memories I saw this post. First, picturing Mrs. Rass stretching to reach the magazine and screaming at Rass to throw it away cracked me up. At first glance, I thought this might be Melania on the mag. I don't think it is, but ... maybe?
rass wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:11 pm I mentioned elsewhere that we're getting our basement remodeled this week. I finally had to throw away the copy of Gallery I found stashed in the ceiling years ago. It had always annoyed my wife that I left it there, and she was too short to reach it herself, but disturbing a previous occupant's spank mag sort of felt like digging up a burial ground

Sunday, I helped Mrs. Sabo and a few other folks move some items in my town's little museum because they’re getting new carpet installed. (Mrs. Sabo is one of the historic society's trustees.) One of the rooms is the “war room”, which had military items and such from former residents. Inside the war room was a long panel cabinet with a couple of drawers in it.

As we started moving this thing, one of the drawers opened up and a couple of magazines fell out. They were porno mags from the 80s.

Typical old men reliving their war fantasies.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:03 am

shit i'm the guy still pushmowing his massive yard because I don't want to spend for a tractor -- and we now have a huge driveway that I'm shoveling by hand because of that same desire not to spend.

it's snowed just twice though -- the system you all got the last 48 hours was just constant rain here on Saturday.
I love pushmowing (self propelled walker but still). The perfect 1.5 hr job once a week to catch up on a podcast or just zone out.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:03 am

I'm the same way, and I refuse to pay for a lawn service to mow. I actually like mowing, its an excuse to get outside. I used to say the same about shoveling. I finally broke down and bought a snowblower when I was going on a business trip and the forecast called for blizzard. I taught my wife how to use it just in case, but she didn't get much snow, so she ended up shoveling. I vowed never to get a long driveway again, so I end up buying a house with an extra 80 feet, and more than twice as wide at the last section.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

our garage is on the backside of our house and we live on a hill so it's probably ... 60 yards? maybe more? and with the way that it's laid out with parking spaces, etc, it took probably an hour or so for me to shovel about 2-3 inches of snow at 5 a.m. last week.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sabo wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:58 amAs we started moving this thing, one of the drawers opened up and a couple of magazines fell out. They were porno mags from the 80s.
[slightly too loud voice] "I'll dispose of these."
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Syb, how do you have such a massive driveway? Is it really long or really wide? (Are you about length or girth?)

My whole lot in the City is about 4300 square feet.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I pulled a major rookie/southerner move with this system. Shoveled too early and then a layer of sleet/freezing rain hit, then more snow.

So I'm out there in bursts today chipping it into chunks and the shoveling. Not horrible, but pretty avoidable if I'd just cleared it off the other night.

Pretty cool that it's been lightly snowing for pretty much 2.5 days now. Not at all common round these part.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:36 pm Syb, how do you have such a massive driveway? Is it really long or really wide? (Are you about length or girth?)

It's a really long, narrow plot. The house is back 80+ feet from the road, the house is narrow but goes back, kind of build sideways on the plot, and the garage is towards the back of the house. The driveway went back an extra 25 feet for some reason, but we just put in a patio over the back part. Still need to shovel that, though. What really sucks that I didn't contemplate, is the driveway is over 40 feet wide by the garages, and the fence is less than 3 feet off the end of the driveway. All the snow is piled to the top of the fence, and I didn't clear the last few feet of snow on that side. Going to take forever to melt. Really sucks having to carry all the snow from close to the house and throw it on top of the snow wall. Even if I had a blower working, I don't know how I will clear out the by the garage in this big of a storm. I need t get a townhouse or condo and let someone else deal with this shit.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

got the "there's a weird sound in the basement" wakeup at 6 this morning ... the sump pump battery backup system was making this awful sound because it said the battery was bad

some research later after the sump pump brand that we have said we can only get the type of battery we need from a plumber, I was able to get a sump pump battery from home depot and swap out the battery. voila, problem solved.

I had no idea that sump pump batteries were basically marine batteries and that they were $200!
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Batteries for anything have gotten hella expensive in the last few years
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Gunpowder wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:54 am Batteries for anything have gotten hella expensive in the last few years
Thanks, Elon.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:29 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:36 pm Syb, how do you have such a massive driveway? Is it really long or really wide? (Are you about length or girth?)

I need t get a townhouse or condo and let someone else deal with this shit.
and here i was getting rid of my townhouse... (never doing this again.. HOAs sucks.. and i was the president the last 10+yrs!)

although loving the fact that i did't have too much shoveling to do as they did it all (except for the car.. but then again that's what the 15 y.o is for).. next house.. no sidewalk, and garage!