Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Not sure if it should go under movies or TV or music, or where...but the film of David Byrne's stage show "America Utopia", directed by Spike Lee, is now on HBO+. We watched it last night, and its really good. Good mix of old Talking Heads songs, some of his solo stuff, and a great cover of a Janelle Monae song, with some of Byrne talking to the audience.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

That's the show I saw on Friday night of Kavanaugh hearings week. Excited to see it again.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

govmentchedda wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:06 pm That's the show I saw on Friday night of Kavanaugh hearings week. Excited to see it again.
Its so good! What a cool concept.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

A_B wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:30 am
A_B wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:48 am
A_B wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:06 pm
Giff wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:36 am Finally started Lovecraft Country. Pretty awesome so far.
I’ve seen the first two episodes and I like it.
Im through five. Very interesting show.
Episode 8 spoilers below
[+] spoiler
The creepy twins are one of the scariest things I've seen in some time.
The season really fizzled. Other than Episode eight, the last four were not very good and there was not much of an ending, IMO.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:14 am
The season really fizzled. Other than Episode eight, the last four were not very good and there was not much of an ending, IMO.
I agree. The middle three or four episodes were great, but the first two and last two were pretty meh. Still, not bad for a first season though. If you consider a show like The Leftovers, it only really became great after running out of material from the source book.

I'm assuming/hoping there will be more and it follows the same track.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

brian wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:31 am Still, not bad for a first season though. If you consider a show like The Leftovers, it only really became great after running out of material from the source book.
And then there's GoT, one of the great shows of all time, that no one talks about because it went to complete shit once it ran out of source material (and the showrunners decided that they didn't want to give it's proper due anymore.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:14 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:49 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:04 am Anyone looking for mindless, slightly repetitive reality competition... The Bear Grillus* show on Prime is pretty damn good. Eco Challenge in Fiji... A ridiculously long race that includes hiking, ropes (ascend and repel), white water rafting, open water rowing, SUP board paddling, mountain biking... It's insane. To the point that you truly fear for the safety of some of the competitors. Cool mix of racing and personal stories. And Fiji is just a gorgeous place and the people are incredible.

* - I'm not wasting my time googling his name.
I am into episode 6. I have been hooked on this show from its first series (this used to be on discovery channel). It is a made for TV adventure race that Burnett basically bought. This goes back before most of the stuff he has produced in the genre. The advantage it is a real competition. Also not sure if you have gotten there but team CURL has an ex-MLSer.

I generally like these but always get disappointed when you see that much of the drama is made up. In this case it is a legit sport (unlike the Ultimate Survival Alaska that was rigged).
I used to love that show. I should check this out, but my queue is so damned long and I seem to add more than I watch.
Just saw Amazon did not pickup a 2nd go at this show. The plan was to have Eco Challenge Patagonia filmed in March or November of next year (applications closed). Unclear if they will still race and produce the show for another outlet.

https://ecochallenge.com/
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

That's a bummer... That said, I found the Bear/Burnett production pretty annoying.

Like, the Indian twins were pretty and photogenic... It was shitty that you barely ever even saw the other 2 teammates, and [strikethrough]their boobs[/strikethrough] they had a majorly outsized role on the show for what they were (barely finishing pack.)

I'm not saying I want to be all about the race aspect, but some of that shit got a little old.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:38 am That's a bummer... That said, I found the Bear/Burnett production pretty annoying.

Like, the Indian twins were pretty and photogenic... It was shitty that you barely ever even saw the other 2 teammates, and [strikethrough]their boobs[/strikethrough] they had a majorly outsized role on the show for what they were (barely finishing pack.)

I'm not saying I want to be all about the race aspect, but some of that shit got a little old.
Yeah but the race itself is actually not that dramatic. They try but the leads teams get at the front are pretty big between podium teams. Just finishing is huge for most. From a race perspective Ultimate Survival Alaska (Seasons 2 and 3) felt more like a race. Those are on Prime if you have not watched them.

Also the leaders sink their boat but were allowed to finish the race in first place. However teams that got stuck in the wrong tides earlier in the series and needed help were removed from the race.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:24 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:38 am That's a bummer... That said, I found the Bear/Burnett production pretty annoying.

Yeah but the race itself is actually not that dramatic. They try but the leads teams get at the front are pretty big between podium teams. Just finishing is huge for most. From a race perspective Ultimate Survival Alaska (Seasons 2 and 3) felt more like a race. Those are on Prime if you have not watched them.

Also the leaders sink their boat but were allowed to finish the race in first place. However teams that got stuck in the wrong tides earlier in the series and needed help were removed from the race.

First off, thanks for the heads up on Seasons 2 and 3... Will definitely check that out.

Also, good point on the overall structure of the race. And I think I was just annoyed by that one storyline - My wife enjoyed the show primarily because of the other stories, but we both got annoyed with Bear and with their focus on those women. Not that big of a deal overall.

Oh, and my take on that lead team getting an assist on the boat is that the thing had some kind of catastrophic failure that wasn't their fault? As in, the boats were supplied by the race organizers, so when something broke it was unfair to punish them for that?

Because that dude from Guatemala wasn't getting any help to fix his damn bike that's for sure.

I did find it odd that they really didn't explain why the Kiwis got a replacement boat like that.
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

Animaniacs coming in November: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNCDu4n ... e=emb_logo Probably too new for more than a few people here, but I'm super excited.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

blundercrush wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:55 pm Animaniacs coming in November: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNCDu4n ... e=emb_logo Probably too new for more than a few people here, but I'm super excited.
Definitely superexcited, and hopeful that my kids will take to it.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

so Apple buy the rights to Peanuts holiday specials. First time they won't be on broadcast tv since 1965.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I visited my daughter in the hospital last night, and was exposed, for the very first time, to an episode of 'The Bachlorette'. I'd never seen either varieties of this show (Bachelor or Bachlorette).

People actually watch this? Its awful. And I want to know what steroids they pump the dudes full of before they go on the show. They were all super jacked.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Did the end of This is Us start the demise of a certain band?!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

We very much enjoyed Cobra Kai, although the season 2 cliffhanger seemed a bit much.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:57 pm We very much enjoyed Cobra Kai, although the season 2 cliffhanger seemed a bit much.
That is a charitable way to describe it. But agree on both.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:15 am I visited my daughter in the hospital last night, and was exposed, for the very first time, to an episode of 'The Bachlorette'. I'd never seen either varieties of this show (Bachelor or Bachlorette).

People actually watch this? Its awful. And I want to know what steroids they pump the dudes full of before they go on the show. They were all super jacked.
For my wife and daughter, Bachelor or Bachelorette night is a big thing. I can't even enjoy it in a schlocky way.

I used to make fun of them, but then I realized that when they watch that, I often watch shitty boxing on DAZN.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

brian wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:07 pm
mister d wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:57 pm We very much enjoyed Cobra Kai, although the season 2 cliffhanger seemed a bit much.
I try to give a lot of leeway to shows that aren’t guaranteed to come back.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:27 pm
brian wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:07 pm
I try to give a lot of leeway to shows that aren’t guaranteed to come back.
And on shows intentionally campy as Cobra Kai but even by that metric it was still way over the top.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sometimes it feels like it’s written by committee versus having a strong lead writer. Johnny is written perfectly when they could easily go over the top and yet they also add a pointless and very overdone character like the adult karate student.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Just finished season 3 of Ozark. Holy shit. They really set up a wild last season. Loved the RTJ4 ending too. Man, that show can be pretty bleak, but there's some incredible acting all around and some pretty damn interesting characters.
Totally Kafkaesque
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Shirley wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:02 pm Just finished season 3 of Ozark. Holy shit. They really set up a wild last season. Loved the RTJ4 ending too. Man, that show can be pretty bleak, but there's some incredible acting all around and some pretty damn interesting characters.
absolutlely bnokers ending, right? Did NOT see that coming. RIP.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Found the best time to binge watch is while gaining an hour because of day light savings. Watch the first 9 of Bosch season 1. Body says 3AM, but clock says 2. Life is good.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

GOT A FEELING AND I CAN’T LET GOOOOOOOO!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Random Headlines thread made me remember I watched Clue on Halloween Night just prior to Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Couple of thoughts: Clue holds up as the good time I remember it to be when I saw in the theater in 1985, and it dawned on me that Fee Waybill created his entire persona in The Tubes (prior to MTV) after Dr. Frank-n-Furter. And a quick rabbit hole dive seems to back up that assertion.
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"Ted Lasso" is such a surprise.

I mean, it has crudeness and really good comedy, but it is just the sweetest show I have seen in so long. Definitely not what I expected at all.

Jason Sudekis was born for the role. And the team owner gets my blood flowing big time.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

It's by Parker and Stone, so I'll leave this here.

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Interested in the new HBO doc "Cost of Winning". About St. Francis' football team in Baltimore. This is the team that none of the private schools would play so they won the title.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:38 pm Interested in the new HBO doc "Cost of Winning". About St. Francis' football team in Baltimore. This is the team that none of the private schools would play so they won the title.
Watched all 4 episodes. As with things that take place a year or more back, it is interesting to see where these kids are now. But a very different perspective on that program than what I perceived when the news broke of the MIAA schools refusing to play them.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We're now 4 episodes in on 'The Queens Gambit'...and liking it so far! Who could imagine a mini-series about a chess prodigy would be so interesting?

Anyways, a few nitpicks:
[+] spoiler
  • Wouldn't they have know that the step-mom had hepatitis before that? Does one just die in their sleep from hepititis?
  • We laughed pretty hard at the 'Chess Review' magazine being front and center at a little drug store in Lexington, KY
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I started watching Ted Lasso based on recommendations here and I’ll be damned if you guys weren’t right. This show is great. It’s funny and positive in a way I haven’t seen in a show in a long time.
Totally Kafkaesque
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

HBO's documentary The Inventor about the Theranos fraud is very good.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

You're watching the Detroit Tigers on Bally's Sports Detroit or you're watching the St. Louis Cardinals on Bally's Sports Midwest...

is about to be a real thing.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:22 pm HBO's documentary The Inventor about the Theranos fraud is very good.
Whenever someone brings up Theranos, I read everything and then speak in Theranos-Broad's voice for like the next thirty minutes.

My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:55 am
Pruitt wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:22 pm HBO's documentary The Inventor about the Theranos fraud is very good.
Whenever someone brings up Theranos, I read everything and then speak in Theranos-Broad's voice for like the next thirty minutes.

So, I'm very tuned into this issue (women intentionally altering their voices) because of the media industry. Women reporters/broadcasters are often coached (or self-taught) that a lower voice commands more respect and attention.

Fun Game: Especially at the local level, see how many of the women are pretty clearly lowering their octave. If you weren't aware of this before, it's going to start to jump off the screen.

I once met a reporter at a site for an interview, and she had a normal kind of high-pitched voice. This was pretty early in my career. The second she turned the camera on and get on the mic, she was doing a Barry White imitation. It really fucked me up and I'm glad we weren't live, because she asked me a question and I just stared at her.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, I hear that Amazon Prime now has (or is soon to have) a documentary called Never Surrender about the making 20 years ago of the cult movie Galaxy Quest. Galaxy Quest just happens to be my wife's all-time favorite movie, and she watches it at least once every year.

So, the fact that we don't have Amazon Prime is bumming her out right now.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:31 pm So, I hear that Amazon Prime now has (or is soon to have) a documentary called Never Surrender about the making 20 years ago of the cult movie Galaxy Quest. Galaxy Quest just happens to be my wife's all-time favorite movie, and she watches it at least once every year.

Your better half has correctly picked her all-time favorite movie. Gonna need to look that documentary up.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I’m watching it right now. They named their ship, the NTE-3120.

So that if they were sued by Paramount, they could point out in court that NTE stands for Not The Enterprise.

I like Galaxy Quest. I saw it in the theater first run, I guess back in the winter of 00.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:51 pm
sancarlos wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:31 pm So, I hear that Amazon Prime now has (or is soon to have) a documentary called Never Surrender about the making 20 years ago of the cult movie Galaxy Quest. Galaxy Quest just happens to be my wife's all-time favorite movie, and she watches it at least once every year.

Your better half has correctly picked her all-time favorite movie. Gonna need to look that documentary up.
Who the fuck doesn’t have Amazon prime?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.