2020 NBA Draft & Off-season Extravaganza

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

tennbengal
The Dude

Re: 2020 NBA Draft & Off-season Extravaganza

Post by tennbengal »

RSL wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:43 pm I cannot believe I missed the draft. Too many distractions. Who should I be laughing at?
Hey RSL!

It appears that teams did mostly okay with not a lot of complete face-planting.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I just woke up. Fucking what.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:26 pm I just woke up. Fucking what.
Charlotte has to overpay to get people to come there (to be clear, it is a bad contract). He's not a bad guy to bring in for their situation. They have a lot of promising young talent and he's not a guy who's going to overwhelm them with his personality in a negative way. Instead, he can help by being an established veteran leader and #1 option on offense, including creating late in the shot clock, while still helping their young guys (Bridges, Graham, Washington, Ball) develop.

They're getting killed even more for stretching Batum's contract instead of just riding it out with him for this season, which is essentially like tacking another $9+ million per year onto Hayward's cost for three years, limiting their cap space in the future when they might look at extending some of their young talent.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Yeah I feel like you probably could have gotten Hayward for 20-30 million less total value while he still locked in more than his Boston contract. I mean it has to be his last contract. This one is weird.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I’m late but this is still good:
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

A_B wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:56 pm Yeah I feel like you probably could have gotten Hayward for 20-30 million less total value while he still locked in more than his Boston contract. I mean it has to be his last contract. This one is weird.
Yeah, Hayward left more on the table for this year to opt out for better long term bucks. There is no way he would have gotten more over the next four years than this if he had opted in.

Boston fishing for a sign-and-trade was not going to happen with Charlotte. I'm sure Charlotte would have said "Rozier and Batum or he'll just sign with us, anyway."
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:17 pm
A_B wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:56 pm Yeah I feel like you probably could have gotten Hayward for 20-30 million less total value while he still locked in more than his Boston contract. I mean it has to be his last contract. This one is weird.
Yeah, Hayward left more on the table for this year to opt out for better long term bucks. There is no way he would have gotten more over the next four years than this if he had opted in.

Boston fishing for a sign-and-trade was not going to happen with Charlotte. I'm sure Charlotte would have said "Rozier and Batum or he'll just sign with us, anyway."
Looks like there might be something. Yesterday it looked like they were gonna get something back from Indiana for Hayward but Charlotte upping the offer ruined that. Dan Greenberg (barstool) is theorizing they'll free up money to go after Bogdanovic but that's probably wishful thinking.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

EdRomero wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:41 pm

Looks like there might be something. Yesterday it looked like they were gonna get something back from Indiana for Hayward but Charlotte upping the offer ruined that. Dan Greenberg (barstool) is theorizing they'll free up money to go after Bogdanovic but that's probably wishful thinking.
I just don't see it, barring stupidity on the Hornets' part, which is admittedly always a possibility. Batum has one year at $27M left and Rozier, who is a lot less important to the Hornets after Devonte Graham's development last season and the drafting of Ball, has two at $37M total left. Beyond that, they have Cody Zeller on an expiring at $15.4M and a bunch of small change guys (Malik Monk at $5.3M who won't get a qualifying offer is the most expensive). It's a really young team (most under 25) with a couple better players nearing free agency, so clearing the deck to let young guys play and removing salary from future seasons (moving Rozier, avoiding stretching Batum's contract) should be the Hornets' motivation.

It's possible I'm missing something, but unless any deal includes Batum and Rozier, it's just helping Boston, which shouldn't be the Hornets' goal.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

It was a good few days for former Virginia Cavaliers. Joe Harris resigned with the Nets for nearly $19m/year. Then, Anthony Gill signed a two-year deal with the Wizards, moving over from Europe. Lastly, undrafted Mamadi Diakite signed a two-way deal with Milwaukee. UVA isn't producing stars like Duke and Kentucky, but Tony Bennett is turning a lot of unheralded high school prospects into NBA players.
Totally Kafkaesque
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I vote this his how it works every year. Forget the mid-summer stuff, draft/free agency in the same week a month before the season starts.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Shirley wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:12 am It was a good few days for former Virginia Cavaliers. Joe Harris resigned with the Nets for nearly $19m/year. Then, Anthony Gill signed a two-year deal with the Wizards, moving over from Europe. Lastly, undrafted Mamadi Diakite signed a two-way deal with Milwaukee. UVA isn't producing stars like Duke and Kentucky, but Tony Bennett is turning a lot of unheralded high school prospects into NBA players.
I really thought Justin Anderson was going to end up a solid rotation player.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

mister d wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:31 am
Shirley wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:12 am It was a good few days for former Virginia Cavaliers. Joe Harris resigned with the Nets for nearly $19m/year. Then, Anthony Gill signed a two-year deal with the Wizards, moving over from Europe. Lastly, undrafted Mamadi Diakite signed a two-way deal with Milwaukee. UVA isn't producing stars like Duke and Kentucky, but Tony Bennett is turning a lot of unheralded high school prospects into NBA players.
I really thought Justin Anderson was going to end up a solid rotation player.
Yeah, me too. In fact, I thought that was his floor. But he's struggled to stick in the league. Not really sure why - he's athletic, he has good shooting range, and he can defend. He's never been a great ballhandler though, and maybe his court awareness just isn't good enough.
Totally Kafkaesque
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:01 am
EdRomero wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:41 pm

I just don't see it, barring stupidity on the Hornets' part, which is admittedly always a possibility. Batum has one year at $27M left and Rozier, who is a lot less important to the Hornets after Devonte Graham's development last season and the drafting of Ball, has two at $37M total left. Beyond that, they have Cody Zeller on an expiring at $15.4M and a bunch of small change guys (Malik Monk at $5.3M who won't get a qualifying offer is the most expensive). It's a really young team (most under 25) with a couple better players nearing free agency, so clearing the deck to let young guys play and removing salary from future seasons (moving Rozier, avoiding stretching Batum's contract) should be the Hornets' motivation.

It's possible I'm missing something, but unless any deal includes Batum and Rozier, it's just helping Boston, which shouldn't be the Hornets' goal.
Celtics threw in 2 2nd rounders and now get a $28 million trade exception, which gives them potential to make a good move for this season or next.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

EdRomero wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:13 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:01 am
EdRomero wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:41 pm Looks like there might be something. Yesterday it looked like they were gonna get something back from Indiana for Hayward but Charlotte upping the offer ruined that. Dan Greenberg (barstool) is theorizing they'll free up money to go after Bogdanovic but that's probably wishful thinking.

Celtics threw in 2 2nd rounders and now get a $28 million trade exception, which gives them potential to make a good move for this season or next.
Yep, the Hornets did the dumb thing and stretched Batum's deal, so it's costing them an extra $9 million a year in cap space for each of the first three years of Hayward's deal.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Maybe a straight salary dump but who to the Cs have other than tatum, brown, walker or smart that someone would want?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:12 pm Maybe a straight salary dump but who to the Cs have other than tatum, brown, walker or smart that someone would want?
I think the Hornets would hav been better served to just not bother and let Batum play out his expiring this year, maybe buying him out in-season and not lose the cap space in future years. They have to overpay to get good players (I don't see this drastically changing in the next three seasons), so cap space should hold more value to them.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Rockets send Westbrook to the Wizards for John Wall and a first-round draft pick. Probably good for everyone but I don't think this makes the Wizards a championship contender. Playoffs yes but deep playoffs...not sure. Means mid/late draft picks.

Beal, Westbrook, Rui, Robin Lopez, Bertans, Ish....mmmm not sure this will get me to pay attention. Last time I cared was the Hibachi years.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Seems good the Knicks didn't get themselves involved here.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:48 pmI don't think this makes the Wizards a championship contender. Playoffs yes but deep playoffs..
Wow. They will fight for the 8th seed at best.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Ryan wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:21 am
wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:48 pmI don't think this makes the Wizards a championship contender. Playoffs yes but deep playoffs..
Wow. They will fight for the 8th seed at best.
Spoken like a true Houston fan. (The pick is lottery protected this year)
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'm a fan. Now have possible three first rounders next year and you go into the season with some stability. This isn't a move you make if you're looking to move Harden, IMO. If Wall is healthy and Wood is the real deal, there's no reason to believe this team can't compete for the 2 seed given what the other teams not named Laker

AB, you on the bandwagon???
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

What if the real goal is a teardown where they're better positioned with an extra 1st plus possible insurance money?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I feel like if they were going to do that the haul for Westbrook would have been more draft pick centric rather than taking back nearly the same exact salary for the next three years.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

That's how NBA trades go.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:06 am I'm a fan. Now have possible three first rounders next year and you go into the season with some stability. This isn't a move you make if you're looking to move Harden, IMO. If Wall is healthy and Wood is the real deal, there's no reason to believe this team can't compete for the 2 seed given what the other teams not named Laker

AB, you on the bandwagon???
Is lebron on the Rockets now?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

the Rockets are no better than fifth in the West ... maybe even sixth depending on how you want to view the Warriors

and then there's the Blazers and the Suns and the Mavericks ...
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Hollinger summed up his trade analysis for the Rockets as "they've already traded Harden, they just don't know it yet". In summation, they've already gone far enough down the road of tearing it all down, they should just finish the job.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Based on Chris Paul's two remaining years under contract, I'm curious as to if Phoenix's plan is to keep him around for just one year to push the young guys on the roster, then flip him as an expiring contract next season before his personality grates too much on those young guys.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

So, Rudy Gobert sure got a big contract ...
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Loving all the Harden trade rumors. Best fits seem to be NJ and Philly. There's a Celtic rumor going (Brown, Smart, a million picks) but I don't think Harden and Tatum are a good match, and I like Brown too much).
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I don't get the logic of Simmons or Brown plus lots of 1sts for a dude on the wrong side of 30.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

That would be the most Sixers move imaginable.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

mister d wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:19 pm I don't get the logic of Simmons or Brown plus lots of 1sts for a dude on the wrong side of 30.
Argument I saw for the Sixers is Embiid may not have a long shelf life with his injury history, so they should in a win now mode. It really comes down to how much they like Simmons, especially with a better coach.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I could see that, but I still don't see how picks would be going to Houston here.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

He's still the best offensive player in the league, has improved his defense steadily (one of the best post defenders in the league), and hasn't shown a single sign of slowing down at all. Yeah, I wouldn't want to include picks along with a guy who cannot shoot for that! If I'm a Sixers fan, I'm salivating at him and Embiid on the same team. It makes them the instant favorites in the East.

I think if there's not a trade in the next 24 hours, there's not going to be one until the deadline. You basically have three years left of Harden, so there is zero reason for the Rockets to rush a deal when by all accounts this is not affecting how he is approaching the game.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

I personally think they should get everything they can for Fat Harden before he loses a step or a foot
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Gold, again!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Giff wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:18 pmHe's still the best offensive player in the league, has improved his defense steadily (one of the best post defenders in the league), and hasn't shown a single sign of slowing down at all. Yeah, I wouldn't want to include picks along with a guy who cannot shoot for that! If I'm a Sixers fan, I'm salivating at him and Embiid on the same team. It makes them the instant favorites in the East.
Correct me if I'm very possibly wrong, but isn't the NBA the one sport where you can kinda argue a player needs playoff success as validation unless his teammates all really, really suck?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:58 pm So, Rudy Gobert sure got a big contract ...
He did indeed. I guess they had to and what not, but, yeah, big contract.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Nothing gets Giff to be less OK than somebody disrespecting Harden.

Kind of notable that the biggest diss comes from the other Houston guy.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian