Phones & Cases And Such

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Shirley
The Dude

Re: Phones & Cases And Such

Post by Shirley »

I also have a 6s that's 5 years old now. Battery sucks. I've been thinking about getting an SE. I'd love to have a good battery again and not have to have my phone plugged in damn near all the time.
Totally Kafkaesque
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

My wife is notoriously hard on her phones. Just ordered her a Pixel 4a through Google's new subscription program. $9/mo for the phone, ($15 if you pay for device protection), and you're paid off in 2 years.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Shirley wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:59 am I also have a 6s that's 5 years old now. Battery sucks. I've been thinking about getting an SE. I'd love to have a good battery again and not have to have my phone plugged in damn near all the time.
I have a 6S purchased four years ago and replaced the battery four months ago when it wouldn't hold a charge. Has worked like a dream since.

My wife recently got an SE, which has worked very well.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I have a 5 year-old iPhone 6 and my wife and daughter have 4 year-old 6s's. All are working fine with decent batteries. But, you guys have me a bit alarmed. Where/how do you get a replacement battery? Apple store?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:19 pm I have a 5 year-old iPhone 6 and my wife and daughter have 4 year-old 6s's. All are working fine with decent batteries. But, you guys have me a bit alarmed. Where/how do you get a replacement battery? Apple store?
I don't think the Apple store will even work on a 6 anymore. There are likely third party repair shops in your area and since you are out of warranty it won't matter.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Shirley wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:59 am I also have a 6s that's 5 years old now. Battery sucks. I've been thinking about getting an SE. I'd love to have a good battery again and not have to have my phone plugged in damn near all the time.
As others have hinted, you can take your phone to a non-Apple phone repair place, and they will replace your battery for about $50.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"Actually they called him the Battery Killer because there was this one time he was at the bottom of Manhattan and ..."
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:14 am Well well well.
Very interesting. My battery maximum capacity in 77%. I read something years ago that Apple intentionally programmed battery performance to fall off. I have an ipod that is 11 or 12 year old. Still works, but I can only use it if it's plugged in. Battery will die within 5 minutes just playing music. I keep it, as I have all my CDs programmed in, and no way to access my collection otherwise.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:05 am
Very interesting. My battery maximum capacity in 77%. I read something years ago that Apple intentionally programmed battery performance to fall off. I have an ipod that is 11 or 12 year old. Still works, but I can only use it if it's plugged in. Battery will die within 5 minutes just playing music. I keep it, as I have all my CDs programmed in, and no way to access my collection otherwise.
How many thing your ripped from CD are not easily available via Spotify or Youtube?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

There are third party applications you can download for your Windows or Mac PC, like iMazing that you can use to extract the music from your iPod.

In fact, I used to do this all the time.
Noli Timere Messorem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:24 pm
How many thing your ripped from CD are not easily available via Spotify or Youtube?
Most of my music listening is while driving, so it’s easier to have it downloaded. I like scrolling or shuffling through my music, I usually don’t know what I want to listen to until I see something strike my fancy. Never used Spotify, should probably try it. Also with the whole family on my phone plan, we are close to using up data every month, so I’d rather not stream music on ling car rides.

I also like the thrill of risking a GPJ song coming on while the kids are in the car.
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:21 am
Most of my music listening is while driving, so it’s easier to have it downloaded. I like scrolling or shuffling through my music, I usually don’t know what I want to listen to until I see something strike my fancy. Never used Spotify, should probably try it. Also with the whole family on my phone plan, we are close to using up data every month, so I’d rather not stream music on ling car rides.

I also like the thrill of risking a GPJ song coming on while the kids are in the car.
A Raffi song into "Heavy Flow Day" would be youtube gold. Get that dashcam set up.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:10 am
The Sybian wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:21 am

A Raffi song into "Heavy Flow Day" would be youtube gold. Get that dashcam set up.
Fortunately Raffi never touched my iPod. Yo Gabba Gabba songs are the only kids music I ever played, and that was high quality stuff.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:32 am Fortunately Raffi never touched my...kids...that was...q...stuff.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Or the more libelous version ...
The Sybian wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:32 amFortunately Raffi never touched my ... kids ... that was ...g...i...ff.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Remember kids, when Uncle Giff asks if you want some In-N-Out you say "NO!"
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:56 am Or the more libelous version ...
The Sybian wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:32 amFortunately Raffi never touched my ... kids ... that was ...g...i...ff.
It’s important that children learn how to share.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

You are all horrible, horrible people.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Raffi is a beautiful man and I'd be honored if he touched me.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Get an 8 pro for $799 and add a 7T for $1. (Yes, 2 outstanding phones for $800 total.)

That's an amazing price. Only drawback is the 7T is locked to T Mobile. But you can definitely get that unlocked.

https://www.oneplus.com/event/oneplus-day
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

After 19 years on the company teat, I have to pay for my own phone service starting next month. I get a stipend, though. Never had a different cell phone number, so I'm glad I get to keep it.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:12 am After 19 years on the company teat, I have to pay for my own phone service starting next month. I get a stipend, though. Never had a different cell phone number, so I'm glad I get to keep it.
That's great. When I got pushed out, I had to turn in my company-issued phone, but they did arrange to let me keep my number with my new personal phone.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Not sure if this should go here or the tech support thread, but do other folks have a hard time getting the "paste" option to pop up when trying to paste a link into a reply here? (While using a phone.) As in, you tap on the screen, but the options don't pop up for cut/paste/copy/insert. I end up having to tap the screen a bunch of times before it pops up.

I have an iPhone 6+ and use Safari. I don't seem to have that problem with any other website or app, just this one.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Have you tried holding contact a bit longer than a regular tap? That's typically how you activate the copy/paste menu.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:45 pm Not sure if this should go here or the tech support thread, but do other folks have a hard time getting the "paste" option to pop up when trying to paste a link into a reply here? (While using a phone.) As in, you tap on the screen, but the options don't pop up for cut/paste/copy/insert. I end up having to tap the screen a bunch of times before it pops up.

I have an iPhone 6+ and use Safari. I don't seem to have that problem with any other website or app, just this one.
6+? Still charges? Wow.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

P.D.X. wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:54 pm Have you tried holding contact a bit longer than a regular tap? That's typically how you activate the copy/paste menu.
I've tried all kinds of approaches. It's only happening on the Swamp. I can get the copy/paste menu to pop up on other apps. I guess I don't know if it applies to other websites though.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:04 am I'm in a near-panic now because I have found out that MotionX-GPS has been removed from the iPhone App Store and is basically being discontinued.

This was one of the first apps I ever downloaded and the only one I spent real money on (ten bucks). All my hiking and driving routes and waypoints are on it. I use it whenever I go exploring the dirt roads and "roads" of the mountains or desert.

Does anyone know of another good GPS navigation app that works for hiking/biking and exploration driving, both for navigation and also for saving routes and waypoints?
Ryan wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:18 pm Gaia and Trailforks are the ones I hear about
Gaia has been fucking fantastic. Thanks, Ryan. I didn't even bother to try Trailforks or Footpath, which EnochRoot had suggested.

It is a bit pricey, but I use it so much that I don't regret it one bit.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Updating to the iphone 12 and looking at cases. We've used OtterBox for years and had great luck with them, but all the colors seem the same as 10 years ago. Looking around at other places and it's the same black, blue, clear, etc.

Anyone have other brands they like?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

phxgators wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:57 pm Updating to the iphone 12 and looking at cases. We've used OtterBox for years and had great luck with them, but all the colors seem the same as 10 years ago. Looking around at other places and it's the same black, blue, clear, etc.

I am exclusive to lifeproof. I think otter bough them or vice versa.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

phxgators wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:57 pm Updating to the iphone 12 and looking at cases. We've used OtterBox for years and had great luck with them, but all the colors seem the same as 10 years ago. Looking around at other places and it's the same black, blue, clear, etc.

I have a Spigen case for my Pixel 3, and I've been very happy with it. It even has a little tab on the back you can pull out and use as a stand.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Great, going to check both of those out. Thanks guys!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Sabo wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:17 am

I have a Spigen case for my Pixel 3, and I've been very happy with it. It even has a little tab on the back you can pull out and use as a stand.
Yeah, I'm a former Otter, current Spigen guy.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I have a clear speck case for my 12. It was the one that was available at the store is the whole reason.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

If anyone is in the market, I just transferred from ATT to Verizon. They gave me a free 128 gig Iphone 12, and $800 to trade in my iPhone 8, which has a resale value of $85. Monthly bill for 2 year contract ends up $8 cheaper even with protection plan.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

This ATT / OAN thing is skeeving me out. Think I gotta jump ship. How much of a headache is it to switch carriers?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

P.D.X. wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:37 pm This ATT / OAN thing is skeeving me out. Think I gotta jump ship. How much of a headache is it to switch carriers?
I went Verizon -> Fi and it was easy as pie. Even kept my number. My wife went from iPhone on Verizon to Fi as well and didn't have any difficulty.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Good lord, Google Fi is easy.

https://g.co/fi/r/9Y713P

Use that link, and I think we each get $20 off.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I gotta stay iPhone
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

iPhone works on Fi now.