Swamp Cooking Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by A_B »

We should start a comedy duo. I'll be the dumb one.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I'll be the drunk one.

I should mention that I finished off the last of my juansauce last night, slathering the remainder on 1/3 or so of a homemade BBQ chicken pizza.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

rass wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:39 am I'll be the drunk one.

I should mention that I finished off the last of my juansauce last night, slathering the remainder on 1/3 or so of a homemade BBQ chicken pizza.
subscription service!

(as i prepare my shark tank pitch!) ;-)
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

rass wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:39 am I'll be the drunk one.

Glad I wasn't the only one calling it Juansauce.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Okay I want in on this. PM what you need to have some of this goodness when it becomes available.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:58 am
elflaco2 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:56 am Hot Sauce on its way to Chedda (4oz)
Hot Sauce & Hot Jam on their way to Sybian (4oz)
My 8oz jar is about half gone. It's a welcome addition to most Mexican things I've been cooking up. Fruity on the front in, good heat on the back end, but not overwhelming.
I finagled things to get steak tacos on the menu Monday night. The hot sauce did not disappoint.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jam and hot sauce arrived. Jam is awesome! It's so damned fresh and flavorful. At first I was thinking maybe there wasn't any hot peppers in it, but after 3 or 4 seconds, it kicked in. It's pretty subtle, but adds a new dimension. I don't think I've ever had pepper jam, and I feel like my life was incomplete. My FiL is obsessed with jam, I get a jar whenever they travel to a foreign country or they visit the Country Inn where we got married. I was excited to get him a jar, but he can't handle any spice at all. Hot sauce is great, too. It's got a strong fruitiness to it. Not sure if that is the proper term, but you really taste the non-spicy elements of the peppers, or whatever else Juan put in there. I think I remember reading carrots and citrus were in the mix, so maybe that's what I'm tasting. If this was in a store, I would absolutely buy it again. I always have at least 4 or 5 different hot sauces open, because I need a variety for whatever I'm eating or in the mood for. I can say Juan's sauce brings a different flavor than any sauce I've tried, which is exciting. I think it'd work with just about everything you'd add hot sauce to, just trying to think of what to make first. Thanks, Juan. I think you should pursue selling this on a bigger scale, for sure.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:55 pm Jam and hot sauce arrived. Jam is awesome! It's so damned fresh and flavorful. At first I was thinking maybe there wasn't any hot peppers in it, but after 3 or 4 seconds, it kicked in. It's pretty subtle, but adds a new dimension. I don't think I've ever had pepper jam, and I feel like my life was incomplete. My FiL is obsessed with jam, I get a jar whenever they travel to a foreign country or they visit the Country Inn where we got married. I was excited to get him a jar, but he can't handle any spice at all. Hot sauce is great, too. It's got a strong fruitiness to it. Not sure if that is the proper term, but you really taste the non-spicy elements of the peppers, or whatever else Juan put in there. I think I remember reading carrots and citrus were in the mix, so maybe that's what I'm tasting. If this was in a store, I would absolutely buy it again. I always have at least 4 or 5 different hot sauces open, because I need a variety for whatever I'm eating or in the mood for. I can say Juan's sauce brings a different flavor than any sauce I've tried, which is exciting. I think it'd work with just about everything you'd add hot sauce to, just trying to think of what to make first. Thanks, Juan. I think you should pursue selling this on a bigger scale, for sure.
Get you some pepper jam, a little cream cheese and a triscuit and really start living.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:58 pm
The Sybian wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:55 pm Jam and hot sauce arrived. Jam is awesome! It's so damned fresh and flavorful. At first I was thinking maybe there wasn't any hot peppers in it, but after 3 or 4 seconds, it kicked in. It's pretty subtle, but adds a new dimension. I don't think I've ever had pepper jam, and I feel like my life was incomplete. My FiL is obsessed with jam, I get a jar whenever they travel to a foreign country or they visit the Country Inn where we got married. I was excited to get him a jar, but he can't handle any spice at all. Hot sauce is great, too. It's got a strong fruitiness to it. Not sure if that is the proper term, but you really taste the non-spicy elements of the peppers, or whatever else Juan put in there. I think I remember reading carrots and citrus were in the mix, so maybe that's what I'm tasting. If this was in a store, I would absolutely buy it again. I always have at least 4 or 5 different hot sauces open, because I need a variety for whatever I'm eating or in the mood for. I can say Juan's sauce brings a different flavor than any sauce I've tried, which is exciting. I think it'd work with just about everything you'd add hot sauce to, just trying to think of what to make first. Thanks, Juan. I think you should pursue selling this on a bigger scale, for sure.
Get you some pepper jam, a little cream cheese and a triscuit and really start living.
Oooohh, I will!

I had some pastrami I wanted to make sure I finished before it went bad, so I substituted Juan sauce for mustard. A bit of a stretch, but it worked.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:11 pmI had some pastrami I wanted to make sure I finished before it went bad, so I substituted Juan sauce for mustard. A bit of a stretch, but it worked.
I used the jam in lieu of mustard on a ham, bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich. That works, too.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Could make a meal out of Italian bread and tomato paste. Which is an issue when I try to spend the entire afternoon making a bolognese and have leftover tomato paste and a nice loaf of bread just sitting there every time I come upstairs to stir.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

new batch cooked up on sunday night -- not a large batch this time
a bit hotter and not as thick as requested.
Cerrano is getting his jar this week.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

elflaco2 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:15 am a bit hotter and not as thick as requested.
"What did my wife say after our first threesome?"
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

Giff wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:19 am
elflaco2 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:15 am a bit hotter and not as thick as requested.
"What did my wife say after our first threesome?"
winner!
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

elflaco2 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:15 am new batch cooked up on sunday night -- not a large batch this time
a bit hotter and not as thick as requested.
Cerrano is getting his jar this week.
come to papa.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Mine arrived! Tasting to commence soon.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

In all seriousness since it doesn't look like you'll make it down here anytime soon, I'd like some.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:16 pm Mine arrived! Tasting to commence soon.
Delicious! It's a little hot when you just have a taste on its own, but I really liked it mixed in with the pork and yellow rice that I had for dinner. Still had a nice heat to it, but also a real sweetness that tastes like a fruit, but I can't place which one.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:55 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:16 pm Mine arrived! Tasting to commence soon.
Delicious! It's a little hot when you just have a taste on its own, but I really liked it mixed in with the pork and yellow rice that I had for dinner. Still had a nice heat to it, but also a real sweetness that tastes like a fruit, but I can't place which one.
It’s the carrots.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:26 am
govmentchedda wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:55 pm
It’s the carrots.
That makes sense. It also makes sense that I couldn't place what fruit it was.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Grilled chicken tonight with this marinade. It’s ducking amazing. Stubbs is the shit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/McCormick-Gril ... 3896874675

Eta: I guess McCormick bought Stubbs out but Stubbs still has their main sauces under the name brand and they are all great. But this is the best Marinade I’ve had.
Last edited by A_B on Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Now owned by McCormick. Nice little profit by the Private Equity Firm that bought Cholula a few years back. McCormick also owns Franks and now 30% of the hot sauce market.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:39 pm Now owned by McCormick. Nice little profit by the Private Equity Firm that bought Cholula a few years back. McCormick also owns Franks and now 30% of the hot sauce market.
Ha. Yeah I just updated my post. I always go to Stubbs first.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I was a cholula person for a long time but allow me to float this to you guys. Get online and get you some Cry Baby Craig’s from MSP. So so so good. Little different from Juansauce, but it’s my go to everything hot sauce.

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Crystal forever here. Juansauce is it's own animal. More of a dollop kinda thing.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:31 pm Crystal forever here. Juansauce is it's own animal. More of a dollop kinda thing.
Crystal is, much like Cholula, inferior. But it has it's uses.

I will accept Crystal or Louisiana for Cajun applications.
Cholula is OK at best for taco/other Mexican application but you're better off with the hot green stuff at the local Mexican grocery.
Siracha is acceptable for Asian dishes and I haven't found a better substitute for this yet.

Tabasco is trash.

Frank's is good for buffalo chicken dip and hot wing sauce and nothing else.

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Green chile would be the correct answer to these questions.

Though I did love a scotch bonnet sauce I got in Jamaica a few years ago, and I don't mind Cholula, but I basically use it on eggs and nothing else.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I like Tabasco on eggs and in a pinch but otherwise I much prefer other sauces.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:05 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:31 pm Crystal forever here. Juansauce is it's own animal. More of a dollop kinda thing.
Crystal is, much like Cholula, inferior. But it has it's uses.

I will accept Crystal or Louisiana for Cajun applications.
Cholula is OK at best for taco/other Mexican application but you're better off with the hot green stuff at the local Mexican grocery.
Siracha is acceptable for Asian dishes and I haven't found a better substitute for this yet.

Tabasco is trash.

Frank's is good for buffalo chicken dip and hot wing sauce and nothing else.
Crystal looks like Tabasco and tastes like Cholula. It's the only thing that should be added to Cuban food.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:25 pm Green chile would be the correct answer to these questions.

Though I did love a scotch bonnet sauce I got in Jamaica a few years ago, and I don't mind Cholula, but I basically use it on eggs and nothing else.
This. I don’t buy any commercial red hot sauces. Hatch green chile forever.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

I’m in league with chedda. Crystal at the top of the pyramid for almost everything including pizza.

Juansauce came in last night. Love the heat from beginning to end and I get that sweet flavor. Made a smoked Turkey breakfast burrito this morning with shredded Cabot cheddar and a pretty good smattering of juansauce. Damn it was delicious.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

cerrano wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:11 am I’m in league with chedda. Crystal at the top of the pyramid for almost everything including pizza.

Juansauce came in last night. Love the heat from beginning to end and I get that sweet flavor. Made a smoked Turkey breakfast burrito this morning with shredded Cabot cheddar and a pretty good smattering of juansauce. Damn it was delicious.
Fish tacos tonight with Juansauce. Very happy with my investment as buying a jar at this point is like acquiring 4% of the stock in Juansauce Industries, amirite? #legallybindingcontract #ipo
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

As one of his first customers, I believe I can add "angel investor" to my twitter profile.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

cerrano wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:38 pm
cerrano wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:11 am I’m in league with chedda. Crystal at the top of the pyramid for almost everything including pizza.

Fish tacos tonight with Juansauce. Very happy with my investment as buying a jar at this point is like acquiring 4% of the stock in Juansauce Industries, amirite? #legallybindingcontract #ipo
Stubbs sold for $100M. Let's make a swamper filthy rich.

ETA: I'm in on the next batch. These reviews are too good.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

A_B wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:40 pm
cerrano wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:38 pm

Stubbs sold for $100M. Let's make a swamper filthy rich.

ETA: I'm in on the next batch. These reviews are too good.
There’s something about the sweetness (carrots) with the spice that makes the feeling in my mouth enjoyable even for a time after I finish masticating whatever I put his sauce on. It’s just really enjoyable.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

cerrano wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:45 pm

There’s something about the sweetness (carrots) with the spice that makes the feeling in my mouth enjoyable even for a time after I finish masticating whatever I put his sauce on. It’s just really enjoyable.
Yes. It's a bit different from a traditional hot sauce for this reason. I put some in carnitas and empanadas, and the sweetness makes every other flavor pop. Don't sleep on the pepper jelly. Made a PB&J with it yesterday. It really is one of the best jellies I've ever had, then the added bonus of the pepper kicks in and takes it over the top. AB inspired me to put it on a cinnamon raisin bagel with cream cheese. That was a beautiful combination.
-Pruitt
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:19 pm
cerrano wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:45 pm

Yes. It's a bit different from a traditional hot sauce for this reason. I put some in carnitas and empanadas, and the sweetness makes every other flavor pop. Don't sleep on the pepper jelly. Made a PB&J with it yesterday. It really is one of the best jellies I've ever had, then the added bonus of the pepper kicks in and takes it over the top. AB inspired me to put it on a cinnamon raisin bagel with cream cheese. That was a beautiful combination.
Wait, there’s a pepper jelly? I didn’t know this. JUAN!!!!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

My stuff got delivered to my dorm room Friday and that evening I put a bunch of chicken breasts in my instant pot with spicy chicken bulgogi marinade.

It came out great. I've used the marinade before but for grilling so it threw me for a loop when I saw shredded chicken when done and tasted completely different. Then I was like, "Yea, dummy. You pressure cooked this. There's no direct heat."

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Completely forgot I bought a jar of bulgolgi sauce a while ago. I used to work 2 blocks from Korea Town, and I love the food.
-Pruitt