Swamp Kids in College Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Swamp Kids in College Thread

Post by A_B »

EdRomero wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:29 pm
A_B wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:15 pm
A_B wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:51 pm If anyone needs me I will be sitting here at my computer reviewing an application to be the president of the greek council. I have the terrible football game on one screen, but this is the college equivalent of "I have an art project due tomorrow and wal mart closes in 15 minutes."
FYI the art project was successful. President of the Greek council for 2021.
Which AB are you?
Wow. Stature of the meathead (less guns though) I guess but maybe I should rewatch to be sure.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I almost forgot that I was Secretary of the Inter Fraternity Council for a year or so in college. Can't remember why I thought that was a good idea. Got a few funny stories out of it though.
Totally Kafkaesque
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I was "V.P. Internal" of our chapter.

Meant I ordered beer and arranged the weekly parties.

An awesome responsibility.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

It's Ogre, not "meathead" and while Revenge of the Nerds was a pretty formative movie for me (watched at a slumber party at some kid's house when I was no older than 5th or 6th grade) and I'll still occasionally quote it ("That's my pie!", it's all in the inflection) it's definitely problematic in ways that a pre-teen in the mid-80s couldn't appreciate. Just in case you forgot some of the details and were gonna hunker down to watch for family movie night.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:26 am It's Ogre, not "meathead" and while Revenge of the Nerds was a pretty formative movie for me (watched at a slumber party at some kid's house when I was no older than 5th or 6th grade)
Exactly the same for me. Haven't seen it since, but I'm guessing it's pretty rapey by today's standards. Weren't they spying on girls getting dressed? Classic 80s comedy excuse to get some boobies into the movie.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

It’s super-rapey. With an added sweetener of its not rape if you fuck her into liking it with your surprise large cock.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:58 am
rass wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:26 am It's Ogre, not "meathead" and while Revenge of the Nerds was a pretty formative movie for me (watched at a slumber party at some kid's house when I was no older than 5th or 6th grade)
Exactly the same for me. Haven't seen it since, but I'm guessing it's pretty rapey by today's standards. Weren't they spying on girls getting dressed? Classic 80s comedy excuse to get some boobies into the movie.
Not pretty rapey, actual rapey. Plus voyeurism that would land you in jail for a long time. Especially if you take into account one of the kids was 12.

Still a funny fucking movie though. I think the most underrated scene is Toshiro riding the tricycle. The music in the background when he's winning is so good.

I still act like Ogre eating the pie when someone asks me how something tastes.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Is it good? Or is it great?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

And I thought Lewis was an attentive, caring lover/rapist, not that he was necessarily well hung.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Giff wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:10 am
The Sybian wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:58 am
Not pretty rapey, actual rapey. Plus voyeurism that would land you in jail for a long time. Especially if you take into account one of the kids was 12.

Still a funny fucking movie though. I think the most underrated scene is Toshiro riding the tricycle. The music in the background when he's winning is so good.

I still act like Ogre eating the pie when someone asks me how something tastes.
Selling photos of the naked girl from a hidden cam is fine though (the defense lawyers in the Erin Andrews case should have used this).
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

rass wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:15 am And I thought Lewis was an attentive, caring lover/rapist, not that he was necessarily well hung.
Yeah, I thought she loved when he raped her because he went down on her when the football player wouldn't.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Facts matter, steve.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:45 am
rass wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:15 am And I thought Lewis was an attentive, caring lover/rapist, not that he was necessarily well hung.
Yeah, I thought she loved when he raped her because he went down on her when the football player wouldn't.
Jocks think about sports all the time, but nerds think about sex all the time.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

rass wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:26 am It's Ogre, not "meathead" and while Revenge of the Nerds was a pretty formative movie for me (watched at a slumber party at some kid's house when I was no older than 5th or 6th grade) and I'll still occasionally quote it ("That's my pie!", it's all in the inflection) it's definitely problematic in ways that a pre-teen in the mid-80s couldn't appreciate. Just in case you forgot some of the details and were gonna hunker down to watch for family movie night.
I remember seeing it in the theater. And thinking it was really funny...but yeah, super-duper rapey. And fairly homo-phobic (designing a javelin to take advantage of the gay characters limp wrist? C'mon....).

I still laugh at the 'Got the cruise control set at 35!' line.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, my daughter came home in mid-November. All her classes are online anyway. But with a new quarter starting, and her missing the boyfriend, we agreed to take her back to UW in Seattle, in the most covid-avoidant way we could.

So, yesterday, we drove 480 miles north to central Oregon. The boyfriend drove down from Seattle to meet us. Today, the wife, dog and I drove back home,while our daughter and the boyfriend drove to Seattle.

960 miles. I’m tired.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Ours flew back today to Boston. So weird. But they are pretty much adults and it’s hard.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:29 pm Ours flew back today to Boston. So weird. But they are pretty much adults and it’s hard.
That’s the truth.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

This is where I'm glad my son couldn't handle the stress of a hard college program away from home and transferred to the U of U.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

SanCarlos = 0.96 of a Proclaimer
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

simultaneously shaking my head and chuckling...
mister d wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:55 am SanCarlos = 0.96 of a Proclaimer
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I am literally loling here.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

my daughter (freshman) goes back on Sunday - they don't start classes for another week but are having everyone test on campus twice. like a massive self-quarantine. Thus far they've done a pretty good job keeping covid mostly at bay. last semester was about 50-50 in terms of online v in-person classes but apparently they're shooting for majority in-person this coming semester.

Not entirely sure how it's going to work (e.g. do they have to be confined to their dorms?) - i'm just numb to everything.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

OK, that's funny.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

The youngest got accepted to Carolina the other day. It was early action, not early decision, so he doesn't have to decide yet. He's still waiting on two other schools (Wake and Wash U), but I'm pretty sure that even if gets in all three, he wants to be a Tar Heel.
Totally Kafkaesque
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Wise man. He will do just fine in life.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

That's great, Dave. Congrats to him and you.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

...good stuff...also have to bet that having your kid at a different ACC School than you support can be offset by the significant tuition savings for in state UNC v. Wake V. Wash U tuition.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Def congrats, Dave. That's awesome.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

That's great man
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I now have an ACC team to cheer for.

Congratulations!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Good news, Dave! (Also, funny that he is rejecting one of your alma maters and going to the rival of your other alma mater.)

My daughter also rejected my alma mater. They offered a fat scholarship, but she is a much better student than I was, and thus got accepted to better schools than I did.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Bad Ace.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:17 pm I now have an ACC team to cheer for.

Congratulations!
Rude.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:45 pm
Pruitt wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:17 pm I now have an ACC team to cheer for.

Congratulations!
Rude.
I never remember that schools like Syracuse and Boston College are in the ACC. To me that conference will always be the lower eastern seaboard.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:58 pm Good news, Dave! (Also, funny that he is rejecting one of your alma maters and going to the rival of your other alma mater.)

My daughter also rejected my alma mater. They offered a fat scholarship, but she is a much better student than I was, and thus got accepted to better schools than I did.
Well, he hasn't rejected Wash U yet. I'm not sure how interested he is though. He may just be doing it because his parents went there. I do think he's interested in their biz/cs joint program though. Hell, he may not get it. It's way harder to get in than when we went there.

And yeah, Carolina is a huge savings to us, so our retirement funds certainly would prefer that over the private schools. He is applying for a scholarship to Wake, but I don't know how likely that is.
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Shirley wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:11 pm It's way harder to get in than when we went there.
I have yet to meet a person who has seen it go the other way. Especially at schools like Wash U, W&L. Ivys, etc. However, the state schools have gotten tougher (probably at a faster rate due to tuition increases). The only case where that may not be true is state schools with special programs lke the Hope scholarships (UGA) and auto admission from a satellite campus/Juco after 1 or 2 years of performance. And that is not saying it is easier but rather just stable.

But the college profs I have spoken to say kids are way less prepared for college than we were. Which may just be old profs being fuddy duddys because the kids now have 75 APs, 3 jobs, 4 majors and a minor/concentration, 74 extra curriculars, 3 season athletes (captain of all), and their own startup company.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:56 am Ha, good stuff AB. Too bad about Wawa.

I moved to NJ more or less permanently at 21 (though I guess it was another year or two before I had a car up here) and I know damn well my driving has gotten more aggressive because my then girlfriend (now wife) used to make fun of how slow I drove and now thinks I drive like a maniac. And I agreed with her back in the day and don't now...
Maybe I dodged a ....oooh I was in trouble like three words into that.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Nobody ever warns you when you're making life decisions at 21
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

What's going on here?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »