The I need to buy a house thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

elflaco2
Brandt

Re: The I need to buy a house thread

Post by elflaco2 »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:56 am
mister d wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:44 am Walking distance to city center (and walkable streets outside the house) are something we knew we cared about, but didn't know just how much before we left Boston. Pretty much an absolute must now.
Heh, my wife grew up in Chatham, walking distance to Main Street. Her took her 10 years to get over the fact that our town doesn't have a downtown to walk to. She used to make the kids join us for walks to get Frozen Yogurt, and it was two miles with about a mile long uphill on the way home. Usually hiked the last, steepest half mile with my daughter on my shoulders. Now we have an easy walk to all stores and restaurants, but not goingh anywhere. One day... At least the local homemade ice cream place is serving through the takeout window.
having a dog is great for walking around -- lately hard to get those walks in (streets are a bit dark and sidewalks suck) before dark but we're usually good for 3-4 miles a day in evening -- morning walks are only about 1/2 mile due to timing... we'd gotten used to stopping by the pub on main street and getting a drink (outside seating) before heading home.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:24 pm Their graham cracker ice cream base is insane. We got it a few times over the summer.
Hell, yeah. S'mores is probably my favorite flavor there. I usually avoid ordinary flavors at a place that like, but I felt like strawberry one day (my daughter taunted me for getting a lame flavor), and holy fuck was it great! She took a taste and apologized for making fun of my choice and said she was getting it the next time.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

elflaco2 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:48 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:50 am
elflaco2 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:35 am we lowballed the offer because of the age of those two.. had they (IF once they) accept the offer we'll go to inspection within ten days --

their disclosure claims no issues w either -- heck, my AC was older than than when it died.. and so was our roof -- a new roof here for that house would go around 7k.. AC likely another 12K.. thus the offer we made.. we took into consideration we'd need to spend around $20K to address those two.

not sure i answered your question.
If the house I’m buying requires $20k in infrastructure repairs, I’m requesting they knock $30k off the asking price. Especially if the house hasn’t seen much interest in the first month it’s been on the market.
that's pretty much what we did (well we took 40K off the asking). spoke to the contractor - he's writing it up. our option is to stay where we are.. in which case we will expand the attic into a legal bedroom (need stairs too) w a dormer on the side -- its a townhouse.. so need board approval.. i'm the hoa pres.. of course i'll recuse but already have enough votes to make it happen if necessary. but i really want that yard... the raking notwithstanding.. do have a growing boy ready to wield gardening tools.
quote from contractor came in.. oooof... can't do all she wants.. reworking some numbers... to incresae offer will need to reduce reno budget -- so seeing how that turns out.. i'm flexible, but... on the other hand.. not a lot of action this week and next due to holidays... so maybe we see if they blink.. if the want out in january and no one else has made an offer by dec... there's a chance!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

elflaco2 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:03 pm
elflaco2 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:35 am we lowballed the offer because of the age of those two.. had they (IF once they) accept the offer we'll go to inspection within ten days --

their disclosure claims no issues w either -- heck, my AC was older than than when it died.. and so was our roof -- a new roof here for that house would go around 7k.. AC likely another 12K.. thus the offer we made.. we took into consideration we'd need to spend around $20K to address those two.

If the house I’m buying requires $20k in infrastructure repairs, I’m requesting they knock $30k off the asking price. Especially if the house hasn’t seen much interest in the first month it’s been on the market.
that's pretty much what we did (well we took 40K off the asking). spoke to the contractor - he's writing it up. our option is to stay where we are.. in which case we will expand the attic into a legal bedroom (need stairs too) w a dormer on the side -- its a townhouse.. so need board approval.. i'm the hoa pres.. of course i'll recuse but already have enough votes to make it happen if necessary. but i really want that yard... the raking notwithstanding.. do have a growing boy ready to wield gardening tools.
quote from contractor came in.. oooof... can't do all she wants.. reworking some numbers... to incresae offer will need to reduce reno budget -- so seeing how that turns out.. i'm flexible, but... on the other hand.. not a lot of action this week and next due to holidays... so maybe we see if they blink.. if the want out in january and no one else has made an offer by dec... there's a chance!
If you have to reduce the number and/or quality of renovations you are envisioning for the new house because it is being sold in what is essentially a state of disrepair and priced at a point the current owners need to sell, look elsewhere.

In addition, consider your Plan B, where you expand into the attic as a means to extend your living area footprint, as a means to increase the value in your home so that you don't necessarily have to stop shopping for the ideal one.

YMMV, and FWIW I'm not the best guy to be giving home owner's advice..
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Closing is set for two weeks. We'll be bouncing from hotel to hotel in Vegas for a week or so afterwards finalizing a bunch of stuff and shortening the amount of time we have to crash with the in-laws (my wife's choice actually, not mine. I was fine going to Michigan for longer).

We've confirmed an AirBnB for the first two months to let us get the lay of the land a little bit better in PV and give ourselves a couple of months to find a place to get a year-long lease since that will be much easier to do in person. Kind of exciting to actually have an address in Mexico for January and February (Costa Rica 1275, 5 de Diciembre, 48350 Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:35 pm Closing is set for two weeks. We'll be bouncing from hotel to hotel in Vegas for a week or so afterwards finalizing a bunch of stuff and shortening the amount of time we have to crash with the in-laws (my wife's choice actually, not mine. I was fine going to Michigan for longer).

We've confirmed an AirBnB for the first two months to let us get the lay of the land a little bit better in PV and give ourselves a couple of months to find a place to get a year-long lease since that will be much easier to do in person. Kind of exciting to actually have an address in Mexico for January and February (Costa Rica 1275, 5 de Diciembre, 48350 Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico)
Post lots of pics. Beautiful region.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Good luck, Brian. I know you've been learning Spanish for awhile, now. Do you feel pretty comfortable with it?

Funny story - About 20 years ago, my wife and I vacationed at a little destination resort hotel just south of Puerto Vallarta called Hotelito Desconocido. I was going to recommend you check it out sometime. You got picked up at the PV airport by a guy in a 4 wheel drive and drove the worst road i've ever been on to get there. It was pretty cool - a place that advertised itself being environmentally and ecologically friendly. They grew most of their own food, just off premises and had great facilities in a remote location. You stayed in your own little hut on stilts over an estuary, with a Gilligans Island-type shower and a big mosquito net.

Then, I just did a tad of research and found out some interesting things. It was apparently later acquired by a notorious drug lord and his accomplices! They were accused of murdering some locals, and the hotel was later shut down for money laundering.when the United States Department of the Treasury sanctioned Hotelito Desconocido under the Foreign Narcotics Kingpin Designation Act.

So... much for checking it out!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:07 pm Good luck, Brian. I know you've been learning Spanish for awhile, now. Do you feel pretty comfortable with it?

Funny story - About 20 years ago, my wife and I vacationed at a little destination resort hotel just south of Puerto Vallarta called Hotelito Desconocido. I was going to recommend you check it out sometime. You got picked up at the PV airport by a guy in a 4 wheel drive and drove the worst road i've ever been on to get there. It was pretty cool - a place that advertised itself being environmentally and ecologically friendly. They grew most of their own food, just off premises and had great facilities in a remote location. You stayed in your own little hut on stilts over an estuary, with a Gilligans Island-type shower and a big mosquito net.

Then, I just did a tad of research and found out some interesting things. It was apparently later acquired by a notorious drug lord and his accomplices! They were accused of murdering some locals, and the hotel was later shut down for money laundering.when the United States Department of the Treasury sanctioned Hotelito Desconocido under the Foreign Narcotics Kingpin Designation Act.

So... much for checking it out!
Pretty comfortable with basic Spanish, yes. Ordering in a restaurant, getting directions, standard questions, etc. Actually able to string together more than a few sentences into a conversation (unless it's about the weather or how I'm feeling in general) then no. But hoping that will improve with time and immersion.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:36 pm
elflaco2 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:03 pm

If you have to reduce the number and/or quality of renovations you are envisioning for the new house because it is being sold in what is essentially a state of disrepair and priced at a point the current owners need to sell, look elsewhere.

In addition, consider your Plan B, where you expand into the attic as a means to extend your living area footprint, as a means to increase the value in your home so that you don't necessarily have to stop shopping for the ideal one.

YMMV, and FWIW I'm not the best guy to be giving home owner's advice..
the missus really wanted the house -- and once she gets an idea she goes all in.
We countered. They came back. Realtors chatted -- realtor indicated what price and date would get us to compromise (exactly mid point)
we countered again early saturday morning. best and final. reduced our reno budget but she figured out how to make it all work even better than before.
just got the call at 730 this morning - they took another offer. She's gutted. had all sorts of dreams about it.. she dragged me to home depot yesterday to 'get ideas' -- she was annoyed i wasn't into it but what do you expect.. yeah.. would've loved that backyard but also needed to make the changes to make it ours. And that's the thing -- you can buy cookie cutter. you can buy as is but these are all someone else's choices or you can build your own (not in this area!) or buy a solid house you can reno to your liking... but there'll be others. in the meantime may as well continue on fixing ours up. going to the HOA meeting next week to present the plan to reno our unit. lots of irons in the fire still.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Just do one of those Watcher things to scare off the new people then get the house for half price.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:46 am Just do one of those Watcher things to scare off the new people then get the house for half price.
Ha! That is brilliant. May take a few years, but worth it for the long game.

Sorry things fell through, Flaco. I know how difficult it is when the Missus has her heart set on something and it falls through.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:48 am
mister d wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:46 am Just do one of those Watcher things to scare off the new people then get the house for half price.

Sorry things fell through, Flaco. I know how difficult it is when the Missus has her heart set on something and it falls through.
Every date night, amirite?!!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Ha
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:54 am
The Sybian wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:48 am

Every date night, amirite?!!
I knew I was setting up for that one.
-Pruitt
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

and so it continues...

looking at a house w a pool.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

bid on the house w the pool.... way under asking. they didn't even counter...
ours went on the market on wednesday... in the last 48 hrs.. have had 9 people look at it. Two said it was too high, a couple said they were considering it, one made an offer last night. Full asking, 20% cash, our terms (open) as they are renting.. and they own the local kabab place so that's an interesting tidbit.
problem is..

we don't have a place to go to yet. the pool house is possible - we could come closer to their asking -- we were off 10% -- as they have to move next month and may take something in between... but the pool... still not sold.. did find out from my landscaper it would cost 10-15k to remove it and put down sod/seed... another option in town, lower price bigger house/property but on the other side of town .. weird property too, triangle in a 3 house cul de sac.

i'm kicking myself for not insisting we go higher on the price...

our agent is telling us the firs toffer is usually the best offer and we shouldn't wait too long lest the buyers get offended and fuck off.

two showings scheduled today, four tomorrow, one sunday.
why would i want want those options.. feels like a shark tank episode and mr wonderful is telling us not to wait too long.

missus is convinced we should act on the offer - she loved their letter (dammit, we haven't written any letters on the three offers we've lost)
i'm like. we have six more showings... and haven't heard from 4 of the others that saw it including the ones from last night.
fuck.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Personally, I wouldn't want to own a house with a pool. A hot tub is another story, but pools seem like much, much more work than they're worth.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

yeah.. its not something that we looked for... and it does have a hot tub.

the pool house is in a better block, but 1mi from train station (center of town)
the other house is 1/2 mile, half a block from main st.. shouldn't bother me, we love right on a main road w a streelight 25 ft from our front windows

pool maintenance is about 4-6Kyr from what i found out --

of course the boy loves it.. he is a 9th grader -- would love to have a pool in the house -- he'd have all his friends over... just what i need.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

elflaco2 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:08 am bid on the house w the pool.... way under asking. they didn't even counter...
ours went on the market on wednesday... in the last 48 hrs.. have had 9 people look at it. Two said it was too high, a couple said they were considering it, one made an offer last night. Full asking, 20% cash, our terms (open) as they are renting.. and they own the local kabab place so that's an interesting tidbit.
problem is..

we don't have a place to go to yet. the pool house is possible - we could come closer to their asking -- we were off 10% -- as they have to move next month and may take something in between... but the pool... still not sold.. did find out from my landscaper it would cost 10-15k to remove it and put down sod/seed... another option in town, lower price bigger house/property but on the other side of town .. weird property too, triangle in a 3 house cul de sac.

i'm kicking myself for not insisting we go higher on the price...

our agent is telling us the firs toffer is usually the best offer and we shouldn't wait too long lest the buyers get offended and fuck off.

two showings scheduled today, four tomorrow, one sunday.
why would i want want those options.. feels like a shark tank episode and mr wonderful is telling us not to wait too long.

missus is convinced we should act on the offer - she loved their letter (dammit, we haven't written any letters on the three offers we've lost)
i'm like. we have six more showings... and haven't heard from 4 of the others that saw it including the ones from last night.
fuck.
Letters are for suckers but fuck do they sell houses.

.02, if there's any short term solution (rental, deferred closing, etc), take that deal. Don't wait.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

tha'ts the thing -- they are not setting a closing date as our deal is contingent on us finding a house ... so we can take it.. and keep looking. don't want to however buy just to buy.
renting in town is crazy. we'd need a 3 bd due to wfh .. those are going $3k..

fuuuuck.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Maybe it's different up there, but I'd murder for a house with a pool right now. Had one as a kid, and it was swimmable roughly 11 months out of the year. We were also on a cul de sac in an odd shaped lot. Saw it a few weeks ago. So many good times playing in the street there with no cars to worry about.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:10 am Maybe it's different up there, but I'd murder for a house with a pool right now. Had one as a kid, and it was swimmable roughly 11 months out of the year. We were also on a cul de sac in an odd shaped lot. Saw it a few weeks ago. So many good times playing in the street there with no cars to worry about.
In NE Ohio, you could reasonably use a pool from June through October. Just don't think I would spend that much money for something that can only be used for less than half a year. YMMV.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I learned here that if you grow up in NJ, you spend most of your weekend days at the community pool. Definitely wasn't like that growing up not very far away, but pre-pandemic times we did go atleast once per weekend unless it was a day-trip to the beach.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:10 am Maybe it's different up there, but I'd murder for a house with a pool right now. Had one as a kid, and it was swimmable roughly 11 months out of the year. We were also on a cul de sac in an odd shaped lot. Saw it a few weeks ago. So many good times playing in the street there with no cars to worry about.
A pool is very different in NJ. We get maybe 4 months usable pool time, so it just isn't worth it. We looked at a house a few years ago with a really large indoor pool. It was an addition added to the back of the house, it was incredible. They even had room for a large table and lounge chairs around the pool, as well as an air filtration system to keep the chlorine smell to a minimum. Also had a great office with built in bookshelves and desk with a gym behind the office with a huge window overlooking the pool from one floor above. Gym equipment came with the house. Even better, three soccer fields at a park just beyond the backyard, and amazingly in our price range (it was 20 miles West, where you get a hell of a lot more for your money). Looking back, I wish we took that house, just didn't want the kids to move schools. Stupid kids ruin everything.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:31 am
A pool is very different in NJ. We get maybe 4 months usable pool time, so it just isn't worth it. We looked at a house a few years ago with a really large indoor pool. It was an addition added to the back of the house, it was incredible. They even had room for a large table and lounge chairs around the pool, as well as an air filtration system to keep the chlorine smell to a minimum. Also had a great office with built in bookshelves and desk with a gym behind the office with a huge window overlooking the pool from one floor above. Gym equipment came with the house. Even better, three soccer fields at a park just beyond the backyard, and amazingly in our price range (it was 20 miles West, where you get a hell of a lot more for your money). Looking back, I wish we took that house, just didn't want the kids to move schools. Stupid kids ruin everything.
Have saltwater pools not made it to NJ? They weren't really a thing when I was growing up, but apparently they're much cheaper to maintain, and I don't think retrofitting an old chlorine pool is a huge cost.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

my next-door neighbor has an indoor pool, though I'm not sure she's ever used it since we've been here. it's got a skylight and then sliding doors out to the back yard

it's also a house with a wood-burning furnace. those are exceptionally uncommon around here.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Would love a pool but same as above, not worth it for maybe 6 months of use.

It's not so much buy to buy but the longer your house is up, the worse the offers are likely going to get beyond the first few.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:59 am my next-door neighbor has an indoor pool, though I'm not sure she's ever used it since we've been here. it's got a skylight and then sliding doors out to the back yard
image.png
image.png (193.13 KiB) Viewed 585 times
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

BSF21 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:02 amIt's not so much buy to buy but the longer your house is up, the worse the offers are likely going to get beyond the first few.
I think that's almost always the case, but around here things are insane. All it takes is one person who either missed a weekend or finally snaps and the smallest house on your block can go for $120K more than it sold for four years ago after already having been on the market and not selling last year.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

yeah..

the pool house.. great block.. all done up inside.. pool is heated
on trulia: 207 Highland Ave Metuchen, NJ 08840

the cul de sac house -- we just drove past it again (had a scheduled showing so we had to vamoose, took the dog to the dog park) saw that the one old house at the corner two doors down got knocked down and new one is coming up.. not interested in the corner but at least the hole wont be ther emuch longer -- its around the (long) block to the soccer fields and the greenway
on trulia: 4 Wilson Ln Metuchen, NJ 08840

neither one we're offering asking -- just a few points below... Wilson realtor is the one who put the offer on ours -- she indicated there's lots of room to play on her sale.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think I like Highland better once you make the kitchen look nicer rather than just like mine.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

yeah.. mrs el flaco has plans for both kitchens..
highland mainly around new appliances and redoing where things are..no plumbing moves, maybe some electrical.
wilson - she'd expand the ktichen into the nook, add a big island, take down the wall (cosmetic) to the family room so you have one giant open space.. no major electrical or plumbing.

we did find out thorugh all this -- for reno in this area.. adding space to existing house.. use $200/sq foot as the avg.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I once again feel #blest to live in the midwest
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Both neighbors have pools. I don't think either has been in it all year. In a pandemic! But both have the pool guys come by frequently. I would use but they're definitely not getting the value for the maintenance.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

this is what 540 gets you in KC just around the corner from us

and this is the house we got outbid on at over 391. It's the only place I have real regret about not buying, though our mortgage would have been considerably higher than this place because of the taxes.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:23 pm I once again feel #blest to live in the midwest
Whats even funnier is I looked at those and was like "oh shit, you can get a lot more for your money out there".
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:27 pm this is what 540 gets you in KC just around the corner from us

and this is the house we got outbid on at over 391. It's the only place I have real regret about not buying, though our mortgage would have been considerably higher than this place because of the taxes.
It has a urinal, and you let it go! Huge mistake. I love the color scheme in that house. The dark floors with the black doors looks really cool. Although I'm learning the downside of dark wood floors, you see every spec on the floor. My wife is vacuuming 3 times a day.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:05 pm I think I like Highland better once you make the kitchen look nicer rather than just like mine.
I like the Highland house. Lots of nice touches with the accent walls and I'd love an indoor hot tub. We didn't even look at houses with pools, much to my daughter's anger. Too much work and money. Would have been nice during the pandemic, though. If you do get this house, you need to have a NJ Swamp sleepover with that bunk bed set up in the basement.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:09 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:27 pm this is what 540 gets you in KC just around the corner from us

It has a urinal, and you let it go! Huge mistake. I love the color scheme in that house. The dark floors with the black doors looks really cool. Although I'm learning the downside of dark wood floors, you see every spec on the floor. My wife is vacuuming 3 times a day.
Maybe pick up a broom jackwad.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:19 pm
The Sybian wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:09 pm

Maybe pick up a broom jackwad.
Damn, that escalated. She bought a Dyson cordless mini-vacuum and it's her favorite toy, sweeping would be stealing her joy.
-Pruitt