Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by Johnnie »

Homeland was frustrating. The concept was great, but it just didn't know what it wanted to be most of the time. And I was out after season 3.

Plus they missed little things like Brody, despite being a Marine, having a very non-Marine haircut. And letting him drive after being in captivity for so long. And then his wife, played by Morena Baccarin, getting mad at him because he can't get it up when they try to have sex. Like, c'mon.

But...you do get to see her topless. And I've read the board game is pretty good, but I haven't played it. So, small victories.

On the 'hate watch' topic, I only did that with Dexter. It was mine and my cousin's show, so we'd watch it. And we were both absolutely fucking disgusted with how that bullshit turned out. The concept reared again when watching The Walking Dead. Absolutely hated that show and dropped it after the first half of season 3.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Regarding hate-watching, I turned against "The Killing" (AMC from about a decade ago) after a few episodes in the first season, but stuck around to see how they would wrap it up. They didn't. All of their advertising prior to the season implied they would reveal the whodunit, but they didn't and the series creator made a lot of stupid statements to cover her ass. The show was just a misery-fest.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

So I finally figured out that if I switch our cellular plan from VZW to Xfinity I'll save $80 a month. What the hell, they're using Verizon's infrastructure (and we're in a pandemic) anyway, so I splurged the other day for Disney+.

The Mandalorian is easily the best thing from the Star Wars franchise / universe ever written. I'm now into Season 2. It hits all the right space western notes, but it never takes itself too seriously.

Carry on.
Noli Timere Messorem
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

The Wilds on Prime is very solid. It's Lost-y, but a bit more focussed, narrative-wise. (Weird to think that any new streaming show has to write in a strong hook in the first episode lest they lose engagement immediately. This one certainly does. Slows down a bit in Ep 2 but then slowly starts to build back up again.)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I'd like to check out the new Bryan Cranston drama Your Honor. But, there's no way I'm signing up for Showtime. Are there other ways to watch it?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Well, I have absolutely no idea why I never got into Arrested Development, but... Here we are.

You just watched E1 and, yeah, I don't even need to say anything.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:51 pm Well, I have absolutely no idea why I never got into Arrested Development, but... Here we are.

You previously made a terrible mistake. Good job rectifying it.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:56 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:51 pm Well, I have absolutely no idea why I never got into Arrested Development, but... Here we are.

A huge mistake, even.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d : dmb
giff : arrested development
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I am watching it again, and while so many shows copied the style and type of humor, it's lost nothing. The writing, acting and characters are so good. It's a shame it never got the ratings it deserved, but it was just too different and ahead of its time. I'm tempted to see what shows were the top rated at the time, because I'm sure there is a lot of terrible, predictable crap on the list. At least it launched the resurrection of Jason Bateman's career, (then again his earlier crap was predictable drivel) and Will Arnett and to a lesser degree Tony Hale. And it paved the way for shows like The Office, 30 and Parks and Rec to gain acceptance.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Def launched Michael cera. Hale landed a buster on steroids role on VEEP after this too.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:27 am

I am watching it again, and while so many shows copied the style and type of humor, it's lost nothing. The writing, acting and characters are so good. It's a shame it never got the ratings it deserved, but it was just too different and ahead of its time. I'm tempted to see what shows were the top rated at the time, because I'm sure there is a lot of terrible, predictable crap on the list. At least it launched the resurrection of Jason Bateman's career, (then again his earlier crap was predictable drivel) and Will Arnett and to a lesser degree Tony Hale. And it paved the way for shows like The Office, 30 and Parks and Rec to gain acceptance.
Well, one show that seems to have really drawn inspiration is Schitt's Creek. I'm not slamming the show as copying anything, but the plot and character similarities are pretty undeniable.

The other thing I'll say is I might just not have been in the mood or ready for the show when it aired. I had a similar reaction to the British version of the office... It was just too cringe-inducing for me. Same category I put (and still put) Curb Your Enthusiasm. I've tried to watch Curb a dozen times... I just don't like Larry David. Can't do it.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Yeah, other than the original episode, there's not much similarity between the two shows.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:41 am Def launched Michael cera. Hale landed a buster on steroids role on VEEP after this too.
I thought about mentioning Cera, but don't really care about his career work to thank AD for launching him. Bateman and Arnett are top tier for me. BTW, not sure if it's been mentioned, but Bateman, Arnett and Sean Hayes are doing a podcast together called Smartless. It's mindless fun, and the episodes are all under an hour including commercials to skip through. Although, I find their Autozone commercials hilarious. They've had an incredible A-list of guests, and it more interesting since they are close friends with most of the guests. Nothing "must listen," but entertaining light fare, and I really enjoy the insulting banter between the hosts.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:44 am Same category I put (and still put) Curb Your Enthusiasm. I've tried to watch Curb a dozen times... I just don't like Larry David. Can't do it.

Same here. I feel like I should love the show, and I've had friends tell me I have to see it, give it another chance... but I just don't find the laughs worth the wait and torture of listening to Larry. It's not just the cringe inducing behavior, but his slow stammering pacing, and the long drawn out bits. I get it, he is saying something inappropriate, no need to continue dragging out the decision to continue being inappropriate for 3 minutes. The tension of him realizing others find him inappropriate and him continuing to double down just isn't amusing to me. It hits me on two levels, the desire for the character to just give it up, and the desire for the show to give up the bit and move on.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:56 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:44 am Same category I put (and still put) Curb Your Enthusiasm. I've tried to watch Curb a dozen times... I just don't like Larry David. Can't do it.

Same here. I feel like I should love the show, and I've had friends tell me I have to see it, give it another chance... but I just don't find the laughs worth the wait and torture of listening to Larry. It's not just the cringe inducing behavior, but his slow stammering pacing, and the long drawn out bits. I get it, he is saying something inappropriate, no need to continue dragging out the decision to continue being inappropriate for 3 minutes. The tension of him realizing others find him inappropriate and him continuing to double down just isn't amusing to me. It hits me on two levels, the desire for the character to just give it up, and the desire for the show to give up the bit and move on.
Really liked it during the first few seasons and then would watch it now and again. Tried to watch it this season, but it was almost like self-parody. And it seemed more and more like a showcase for Larry David's one note character.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:39 pm I'd like to check out the new Bryan Cranston drama Your Honor. But, there's no way I'm signing up for Showtime. Are there other ways to watch it?
We watched the first episode and there were several "Oh, come on" moments where it was hard to believe the actions or decisions being undertaken. Acting was overall good but unless they tighten up pretty quick we'll be out. Good premise poorly executed.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:35 pm

Really liked it during the first few seasons and then would watch it now and again. Tried to watch it this season, but it was almost like self-parody. And it seemed more and more like a showcase for Larry David's one note character.
Observations:

1) I hadn't known Ron Howard did the voice over until I listened to a podcast he was on this week (Smartless, with Sean Hayes, Will Arnet and Bateman). I love RH, so that's what sold me on finally tuning in.

2) While I love the VO, what strikes me watching it on Netflix versus when it ran on network TV is the incredible amount of exposition they are doing each week. They make it funny, but it's slightly annoying when you're watching it in binge form. Not a big deal, just interesting. I'm curious to see if they shift that for the Netflix seasons, because it's really unnecessary a lot of the time (on Netflix, I get why they did on a weekly show.)

3) I hadn't realized just how many incredible ancillary and one off characters show up. And Heather Graham is oft forgotten, stone cold gorgeous woman. Jesus.

4) For a relative zany/silly show, the writing is INCREDIBLE. I know that's no surprise to you guys, but it's the type of show that you have to really zone in on, or you'll miss a lot of incredible call backs.

5) I was prepared to be annoyed by Jeffrey Tambor's character... Nope, love him. Kind of across the board, the show is masterful in creating characters that bump right up into making you want to hate them, and they endear you to them and level it off. This is the trick that is lacking (for me) with Curb and even to an extent with Seinfeld (after a number of seasons, they just wore on me.)
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

NO TOUCHING
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:34 pm

Observations:

1) I hadn't known Ron Howard did the voice over until I listened to a podcast he was on this week (Smartless, with Sean Hayes, Will Arnet and Bateman). I love RH, so that's what sold me on finally tuning in.

2) While I love the VO, what strikes me watching it on Netflix versus when it ran on network TV is the incredible amount of exposition they are doing each week. They make it funny, but it's slightly annoying when you're watching it in binge form. Not a big deal, just interesting. I'm curious to see if they shift that for the Netflix seasons, because it's really unnecessary a lot of the time (on Netflix, I get why they did on a weekly show.)

3) I hadn't realized just how many incredible ancillary and one off characters show up. And Heather Graham is oft forgotten, stone cold gorgeous woman. Jesus.

4) For a relative zany/silly show, the writing is INCREDIBLE. I know that's no surprise to you guys, but it's the type of show that you have to really zone in on, or you'll miss a lot of incredible call backs.

5) I was prepared to be annoyed by Jeffrey Tambor's character... Nope, love him. Kind of across the board, the show is masterful in creating characters that bump right up into making you want to hate them, and they endear you to them and level it off. This is the trick that is lacking (for me) with Curb and even to an extent with Seinfeld (after a number of seasons, they just wore on me.)
Look I mean this in the nicest way because I’m glad you are watching the show. But this was true. In 2006. It’s a pantheon comedy. Love that it’s held up for new viewers. I’ve probably seen it all four times and early seasons more than that. All time favorite.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Although I should say that repeat viewings are perfect for binging. No joke. Watch it all. Then in six months do it again. You will be shocked at the things you missed.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A_B wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:55 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:34 pm

Observations:

Look I mean this in the nicest way because I’m glad you are watching the show. But this was true. In 2006. It’s a pantheon comedy. Love that it’s held up for new viewers. I’ve probably seen it all four times and early seasons more than that. All time favorite.
Yeah, I know I'm not breaking any news to anyone, just walking folks down memory lane.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I finished Ted Lasso yesterday morning, and it was great. Way, way, way better then it really had any right to be.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Wife and I just finished lasso. My second watch. So good and she loved it too. She thought there were multiple seasons ready for binging. But excited that she bought in.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Just watched the first episode of The Good Lord Bird and it was really, really good.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Pruitt wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:31 pm Just watched the first episode of The Good Lord Bird and it was really, really good.
Tht intrigued me but i don't have showtime.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

A_B wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:27 pm Wife and I just finished lasso. My second watch. So good and she loved it too. She thought there were multiple seasons ready for binging. But excited that she bought in.
Same with my GF. She has a very thin window for comedy...she doesn't like snarky stuff. So Lasso has enough sweetness to make it work for her.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We are 2 episodes in on 'The Undoing', and so far, so good. Two observations:
  • Nicole Kidman has had a TON of work done on her face
  • Her coat collection is amazing
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:56 am
A_B wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:27 pm Wife and I just finished lasso. My second watch. So good and she loved it too. She thought there were multiple seasons ready for binging. But excited that she bought in.
Same with my GF. She has a very thin window for comedy...she doesn't like snarky stuff. So Lasso has enough sweetness to make it work for her.
Finally finished Ted Lasso. I liked it more than I thought possible, but I have to say the soccer scenes in the final game were the worst sports scenes I can recall ever seeing. I didn't need it to be good or realistic, but it was so horrible, it's all I could focus on. OTOH, Arlo White is doing the play by play and he is my favorite. He apologized for the "fruity language" from the fans, which is something he said IRL that the Men in Blazers love to mock, and made fun of him for it when he was a guest on their show. That felt like an inside joke, but it might be something he says a lot.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So they ripped off Pruitt's next paw patrol.character.idea?
https://nypost.com/2021/01/06/denmark-a ... ong-penis/
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Someone call the DDPP.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:21 am So they ripped off Pruitt's next paw patrol.character.idea?
https://nypost.com/2021/01/06/denmark-a ... ong-penis/
This show probably makes kids laugh their heads off.

And it's enough to keep academic types busy debating - which is also hilarious.

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I find it deeply disturbing, even in claymation form, to see a man grabbing or handing something to a child with his penis.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Fuck, Syb. You've just completely ruined this for me.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I know my 7 year old self would've laughed my ass of at that.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:52 am I know my 7 year old self would've laughed my ass of at that.
My 57 year old self had a good laugh.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:04 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:52 am I know my 7 year old self would've laughed my ass of at that.
My 57 year old self had a good laugh.
No one's worried about your soul and path to heaven though, Pru.

(totally agree. penis has a prehensile tool is comedy gold.)
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We finished 'The Undoing' last night. Enjoyed it quite a bit.
[+] spoiler
We kept waiting for a 'twist'...and the twist was that there was no twist!
The amount of plastic surgery Nicole Kidman has had is disturbing. She has no lines on her face! She's 53!

This morning I finished "Zero Zero Zero" (on Amazon Prime) which follows a shipment of drugs from Mexico to Italy. It was worth checking out.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Undoing was solid for what it was. Good acting from the three main actors. And that woman that got murdered had nice boobs. (bonus)

I want to back up the Zerox3 as a very entertaining, and pretty well acted, as well.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:26 pm We finished 'The Undoing' last night. Enjoyed it quite a bit.
[+] spoiler
We kept waiting for a 'twist'...and the twist was that there was no twist!
The amount of plastic surgery Nicole Kidman has had is disturbing. She has no lines on her face! She's 53!

This morning I finished "Zero Zero Zero" (on Amazon Prime) which follows a shipment of drugs from Mexico to Italy. It was worth checking out.
I really liked Zero Zero Zero and all the score/music was done by Mogwai if that’s your thing. (It is mine).
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!