Random Politics

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Re: Random Politics

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:16 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:56 pmIf you want to give employees a way to avoid working in dangerous situations, then let's get the money to them. And the only way to get the money to them (and certainly the *fastest* way to get money to them) is by agreeing to GOP demands for liability protection.
Where are you seeing money for workers who quit jobs they perceive to be unsafe?
You know, that's a good point. I understand that unemployment was a lot broader under the Cares Act than normal state law, but I don't know if it covers that situation. The Heroes Act has rent suspension and other features that would benefit someone who quit even if they can't get UI, but I don't know what will end up in a final bill.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So if you’re not even sure there’s the minimum level of protection for someone who wants to ensure their health or their family’s health, why the fuck are you making it a second job to shout me down here? Obviously neither of our posts are doing anything, but the real world version of what you’re doing is why the Dems can get away with nothing and maintain support. You can’t just wait until next time forever.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:53 pm So if you’re not even sure there’s the minimum level of protection for someone who wants to ensure their health or their family’s health, why the fuck are you making it a second job to shout me down here? Obviously neither of our posts are doing anything, but the real world version of what you’re doing is why the Dems can get away with nothing and maintain support. You can’t just wait until next time forever.
Dude, what in the ever loving fuck are you talking about? My main point is that employer liability limitations won’t really affect the protection workers receive, because lawsuits don’t give them any real protection. You disagree of course, but I’ve actually done this shit.

I’m also suggesting that if the GOP simply won’t agree to relief without the limitations on liability, we might have to accept it. Because relief will help millions of real people. Again, you disagree, because clearly the Dems can force relief through the Senate without the limitation if they just, um, really really talk about it a lot. Ideas you like cannot fail; they can only be failed, right?

And anyway, you don’t actually need the relief, so you can afford to play politics with the lives of those who do.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Fuck off with the whole “it’s just a thought experiment, you’re fine” bullshit you keep falling back on whenever you need to try to reset off a weak, reflexive party defense. Either we don’t come from the same place or one of us has moved on enough to always need to clarify this can’t be an immediate concern.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The left can grift too:

(Thank goodness this isn't affiliated with Biden/Harris in any way, shape, form, or idea.)

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I have a negative visceral reaction to the blue hat, too.

It cracks me up seeing MAGA people still calling Dems and Libs "cultists" when there are millions of MAGA hats, Trump flags, and countless merch items with Trumps name all over the damn place, and 10s of 1000s of people flocking to congregate in arenas during a highly contagious pandemic to listen to him ramble incoherently for hours about how great he is, and how unfairly the entire world treats him.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

All politics is local.

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/loc ... TLB_511OdA

This is some high comedy shit right here.

TL;DR -- People open up bar on main street area in northern affluent suburb of Indianapolis. People take in a ton of money because of county by county COVID restrictions. Locals thrilled. Bar wears out it's welcome because it's the only place open after 10pm. Bar owners blame people from Marion County (Indianapolis) for coming up in waves and wrecking their nice family bar. Local government in Carmel forces bar to close at 2pm because of zoning. Owners cry about it.

Not to mention there's a nice story of some of the complainers that live next door that bought that home "because they wanted to be closer to Midtown Carmel on the weekends". Their primary residence is less than 10 miles away.

It's like a 3 act play on privilege.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:27 pm I have a negative visceral reaction to the blue hat, too.
And they're not gonna sell for shit. Neither is it 'grifting' or even representative of the 'left'. It's just someone trying to make a buck off something they think is clever.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I feel like “the left” will collectively hate those hats and branding.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

First of all, it's a stupid concept. Secondly, yeah, right, I'm gonna go buy a knock off version of something I already despise.

Anytime I see someone in a MAGA hat, I immediately think they are mentally challenged and part of a cult. Fuck emulating that shit.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm glad this happened after the election. Thanks, Deep State.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:58 am First of all, it's a stupid concept. Secondly, yeah, right, I'm gonna go buy a knock off version of something I already despise.

Anytime I see someone in a MAGA hat, I immediately think they are mentally challenged and part of a cult. Fuck emulating that shit.
I'm gonna sell an orange hat that just says "I Can Think For Myself"
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:34 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:58 am First of all, it's a stupid concept. Secondly, yeah, right, I'm gonna go buy a knock off version of something I already despise.

I'm gonna sell an orange hat that just says "I Can Think For Myself"
Oooh, I want to buy your hat!
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I'd buy that.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The real Person of the Year, for sure.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The fucking cringe. And that's also Marcus Luttrell. The "Lone Survivor."

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:39 pm The fucking cringe. And that's also Marcus Luttrell. The "Lone Survivor."

Damn. I guess I’ll have to separate the character from the caricature. I really like that movie.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:55 pm
Johnnie wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:39 pm The fucking cringe. And that's also Marcus Luttrell. The "Lone Survivor."

Damn. I guess I’ll have to separate the character from the caricature. I really like that movie.
Yeah, I was going to vote for Purdue and Ossoff, but now that I know Purdue and Loeffler are the good guys, this video changed my vote.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

“This commercial is rated ARRR!”
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:10 pm “This commercial is rated ARRR!”
Now you've hurt his feelings.

I'm about 95% convinced he doesn't need that patch.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:12 pm

Maybe, but I'm not willing to take the risk in seeing what is behind the patch.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Saw this quoted by Charles Pierce:

Former SOCOM head says Navy SEAL congressman's action video of himself battling antifa is 'embarrassing' and looks like an 'SNL' skit
Retired US Army Gen. Raymond "Tony" Thomas, who led Special Operations Command when Crenshaw was in the military, wrote on Twitter that he thought the video was a "Saturday Night Live" or Comedy Central skit when he first watched it.

He said the video was "embarrassing" and suggested that Crenshaw's attempt to persuade US voters with martial skills and name-calling rather than policy proposals debased American politics.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Why is there a British lady leading our special ops coms!?!?!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:24 pm
Giff wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:12 pm

Maybe, but I'm not willing to take the risk in seeing what is behind the patch.
Based on this commercial I've gotta assume it's where he stores his spare 16" huge penis.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So most don't know but my sister work for Ways & Means. She got an award tonight and the organization brought in someone from Kevin McCarthy's office to introduce her and Lisa Murkowski to speak after her acceptance. Nothing like having the former press secretary for Kevin McCarthy and a Senator mispronounce the name of the award nominee (at least Senator Murkowski admitted she did not know my sister and appologized when she switched to using her first name).

B.T.W. my sister is a strong dem, liberal, and feminist (and made a point to remind everyone she is Doctor).
Last edited by wlu_lax6 on Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

How hard is it to pronounce "lax"?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Maybe it is the spelling?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I love the correction in the last sentence of the original post because now I’m reading it as her yelling “I AM DOCTOR!!! at the audience.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm just glad they didn't call her 'kiddo.'
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Yea, I agree here too.

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:14 pm How hard is it to pronounce "lax"?
The 6 throws some people.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

NC has some breathtakingly dumb state legislators.

https://www.wral.com/nc-senator-ok-with ... /19431251/

There's a lot of good shit in there, but these back-to-back paragraphs were beautiful.
“There’s something going on here bigger than what anybody is willing to talk about," he said. "I’m not nuts. … I’m not a conspiracy theory person. I don’t like them. I don’t like conspiracy theories at all. But something is going on here that’s bigger than meets the eye.”

Steinburg then offered, unprompted, to take a psychiatric evaluation. He said the CIA and FBI both know there's a coup d'etat going on in the country but won't do anything about it.
Totally Kafkaesque
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:14 pm How hard is it to pronounce "lax"?
It’s pronounced “LAY”, right?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Up here in the PNW, we got our own Mini-Trump...

As he lobs fraud claims, losing Republican candidate Loren Culp’s own campaign spending draws questions
More than a month since losing to Gov. Jay Inslee, Republican Loren Culp has continued to raise money with unsubstantiated claims of vote fraud.

His efforts to sow doubt about an election he lost by more than a half-million votes have failed to draw support from the state GOP and have been rejected by Republican Secretary of State Kim Wyman.

Culp, taking a page from President Donald Trump’s playbook, has told supporters he’ll “never concede.” He filed a lawsuit against Wyman two weeks ago in King County Superior Court, seeking an audit of ballots and voting machines in five counties.

Prominent Republicans, though, have grown weary of Culp’s postelection
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:38 pm Up here in the PNW, we got our own Mini-Trump...

As he lobs fraud claims, losing Republican candidate Loren Culp’s own campaign spending draws questions
More than a month since losing to Gov. Jay Inslee, Republican Loren Culp has continued to raise money with unsubstantiated claims of vote fraud.

His efforts to sow doubt about an election he lost by more than a half-million votes have failed to draw support from the state GOP and have been rejected by Republican Secretary of State Kim Wyman.

Culp, taking a page from President Donald Trump’s playbook, has told supporters he’ll “never concede.” He filed a lawsuit against Wyman two weeks ago in King County Superior Court, seeking an audit of ballots and voting machines in five counties.

Prominent Republicans, though, have grown weary of Culp’s postelection
Fuck it, I'm going to start raising funds claiming I fraudulently lost an election to some Dem.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Big swing in 2020 for BH. 55.6% for Biden.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

You guys missed the best part of that Marco Rubio shot in that he's attempting to wear a USF shirt (i.e. University of South Florida Bulls), but is actually wearing a USF (University of Sioux Falls Cougars) shirt, implying that he literally doesn't know what an actually USF (i.e. South Florida) logo looks like.

Unless he has some relationship to the University of Sioux Falls I'm not aware of.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

You hate to see it.