NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Post by govmentchedda »

Reports (can't remember if they are confirmed or not) are that he had COVID over the summer. I'm assuming myocarditis and/or heart attack, but I'll leave that to someone more qualified, like a medium sized city mayor.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yep, way at the bottom of that article you linked:
According to the Associated Press, Johnson and some of his teammates had tested positive for COVID-19 prior to the season. The virus can cause myocarditis, a heart condition, but the school and family have not revealed a diagnosis at this point.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I saw that, but it seems speculative at best?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Umm, no. Its just that were willing to live with a little bit of induced coma. It's hs playoffs you know.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This seems tremendously reassuring.

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

That's great news
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I assume everyone is watching NBCSN right now but too in awe to comment here.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

That's right. A 24-11 game. In 1983. Fuck Cincinnati.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

For the second game in a row, MI is emptying its bench with 4 minutes left in the game.

They about to go 10-0, with back-to-back blow out wins against top 25 teams.

They are an extremely tough out at this point. Every guy on the court can score, and they go legit 8 deep. The front court of Wagner - Dickinson - Livers is a nasty squad on D, and very tough to play on 5 out O.

Fun to watch, too. They're one of those teams that actually run an offense (unlike, say MD, which is a lot of aimless dribbling and jacked up shots at this point.)

ETA - 8 of their 10 games have been at home... and weirdly in the B1G this year, home court seems to matter for whatever reason. (Unlike most of the NCAA, per Kenpom.)
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Sorry, I know no one really cares, but MI just annihilated Wiskey at Crisler tonight. Something like a 41-6 run to end the game.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:54 pm Sorry, I know no one really cares, but MI just annihilated Wiskey at Crisler tonight. Something like a 41-6 run to end the game.
It's never good when you're getting doubled up in the second half by a conference foe.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:48 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:54 pm Sorry, I know no one really cares, but MI just annihilated Wiskey at Crisler tonight. Something like a 41-6 run to end the game.
It's never good when you're getting doubled up in the second half by a conference foe.
Especially if you're the 8th ranked team in the country.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

It's ncaa hoops. Matters not right now. Where are you in March?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

MI's defense is what is really standing out at this point. I mentioned it a few days ago, but the front court of Livers-Dickinson-Wagner is just really difficult for opposing teams to get through.

The other interesting intangible about this team are its two grad transfers. Mike Smith came out of Columbia and Chaundee Brown joined from Wake. Both are playing like guys given a second life... Very very hard and aggressive. I wouldn't say the team was soft last year, but this year's version has a grit that I haven't seen on MI team for quite some time.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:03 am It's ncaa hoops. Matters not right now. Where are you in March?
And while I totally agree with this, from a parochial stand point, MI came out of the gates strong last year and then kind of flatlined.

This version is actually progressing... They also just got back Austin Davis at C, which means Dickinson can rest a bit more. Freshmen tend to hit walls, so this is a very good sign.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

You can count on at least one game a year where the UNLV streak of games with a 3-pointer is threatened and the tension is always palpable.

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Second half in Madison yesterday: Michigan 40, Wisconsin 20.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Boston College fired Jim Christian today. After the 2009-2010 season, they fired Al Skinner, who won 60% of his games there in 13 seasons (247-165 and 7 NCAA Tournaments, 3 of which - and his lone Sweet Sixteen - came in the first 5 years after the move to the ACC).

In 11 years since firing Skinner, BC is 132-208 (38.8%) with 2 winning seasons and 2 NIT appearances.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:19 pm
For first time in Big Ten history, three teams ranked in the top five after February.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:19 pm
Yeah, it took a full half for them to shake off almost 3 weeks off.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:24 pm Boston College fired Jim Christian today. After the 2009-2010 season, they fired Al Skinner, who won 60% of his games there in 13 seasons (247-165 and 7 NCAA Tournaments, 3 of which - and his lone Sweet Sixteen - came in the first 5 years after the move to the ACC).

In 11 years since firing Skinner, BC is 132-208 (38.8%) with 2 winning seasons and 2 NIT appearances.
A sports radio guy here always used to say "Don't get tired of winning". This is the perfect example.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Most of Michigan State's team apparently opted out a couple of months ago. <rimshot>
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Can't believe Johnson is willing to give up 10 more weeks of free classes in order to fully focus on training for his future career.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

He has a team. Entirely selfish. Just sit on the bench another couple weeks. Might even get better. That's a big red flag for me as a gm. Has to cost him a few draft slots. Besides what is it that he can't do during the other 20 hours a day that he isn't doing team stuff.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:12 pm He has a team. Entirely selfish. Just sit on the bench another couple weeks. Might even get better. That's a big red flag for me as a gm. Has to cost him a few draft slots. Besides what is it that he can't do during the other 20 hours a day that he isn't doing team stuff.
Not get injured?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

HaulCitgo wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:12 pmThat's a big red flag for me as a gm.
Definitely has thrown a wrench in Christian McCaffrey's career.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Football a whole different deal with substantial serious injury risk. Guy quit cause the team sucks and he's riding pine.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

HaulCitgo wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:52 pm Football a whole different deal with substantial serious injury risk. Guy quit cause the team sucks and he's riding pine.
He has been fighting lingering injuries and is probably going to go top 15 possibly top 10.

Why give that time to Duke when he can better prepare for his future job?
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

While we are encouraged by what we are seeing medically, for Jalen's future, we believe this decision is in his best interest," Krzyzewski said in the release. "We are ultimately careful with every one of our players and will continue to support Jalen as he progresses toward his goal of playing professional basketball.
This boggles my mind. I know Coach K has to support him for recruiting the next 1 and doner (less than 1 and doner). However, this is the kinda of thing that caused Gary Williams to retire.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Their season is basically over and he's declaring no matter what so what's he going to say? "We think Jalen is fucking up not risking further injury to his foot in order to get us another few wins"?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:14 pm Their season is basically over and he's declaring no matter what so what's he going to say? "We think Jalen is fucking up not risking further injury to his foot in order to get us another few wins"?
"We had a chance to put up an 'NIT Champs' banner in Cameron Indoor Stadium, but now those dreams have been forever dashed by this selfish young man."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:07 pm
While we are encouraged by what we are seeing medically, for Jalen's future, we believe this decision is in his best interest," Krzyzewski said in the release. "We are ultimately careful with every one of our players and will continue to support Jalen as he progresses toward his goal of playing professional basketball.
This boggles my mind. I know Coach K has to support him for recruiting the next 1 and doner (less than 1 and doner). However, this is the kinda of thing that caused Gary Williams to retire.
Yeah. The stench of cuckoldry is strong.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ah yes because what was once a perfectly symbiotic relationship has now swung wildly in the direction of the player.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

That’s not it at all. It’s about how the one and done culture has reduced an otherwise respected basketball coach to empty platitudes about best interests in the player’s future instead of teamwork.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Empty because its silly to think a coach should think of the player's best interests first?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

G-league, Australia, Europe, etc. NBA-class players don't have to go to college. 3 years ago, maybe...So if you decide to go to college, you know what you are signing up for. Probably better for both NBA-level players and the NCAA if those options exist. NCAA hoops will continue to bring eyes because of history, location, and alma mater pride. The G-league can get those stars ready for the NBA in front of few eyeballs. Kids go to the right programs for the right reason. Not sneaker money and the best to make you a pro, but the best to set you up for your future (maybe pro, maybe job, maybe euro, maybe coaching, maybe doctor).

I am shocked the AAU has not figured out how to get this figured out. The AAU could offer a Post-grad type setup...oh yeah it is the first "A" that gets them.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:59 pm G-league, Australia, Europe, etc. NBA-class players don't have to go to college. 3 years ago, maybe...So if you decide to go to college, you know what you are signing up for. Probably better for both NBA-level players and the NCAA if those options exist. NCAA hoops will continue to bring eyes because of history, location, and alma mater pride. The G-league can get those stars ready for the NBA in front of few eyeballs. Kids go to the right programs for the right reason. Not sneaker money and the best to make you a pro, but the best to set you up for your future (maybe pro, maybe job, maybe euro, maybe coaching, maybe doctor).
And in a normal year, he probably wouldn't opt out, because Duke's record would be padded with some cupcakes (my team is in same boat) and they'd likely be firmly in the tournament field.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

A_B wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:01 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:59 pm G-league, Australia, Europe, etc. NBA-class players don't have to go to college. 3 years ago, maybe...So if you decide to go to college, you know what you are signing up for. Probably better for both NBA-level players and the NCAA if those options exist. NCAA hoops will continue to bring eyes because of history, location, and alma mater pride. The G-league can get those stars ready for the NBA in front of few eyeballs. Kids go to the right programs for the right reason. Not sneaker money and the best to make you a pro, but the best to set you up for your future (maybe pro, maybe job, maybe euro, maybe coaching, maybe doctor).
And in a normal year, he probably wouldn't opt out, because Duke's record would be padded with some cupcakes (my team is in same boat) and they'd likely be firmly in the tournament field.
So the only reason to play college games then is NCAA tournament? Don't the rest of the games matter for his development? Is a game against UVA this week different than playing St. Marys in late March?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:04 pm
A_B wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:01 pm
So the only reason to play college games then is NCAA tournament? Don't the rest of the games matter for his development? Is a game against UVA this week different than playing St. Marys in late March?
I think for the 0ne and done crowd, yeah, winning a championship is the ultimate goal if you go the college route so you have to get the tournament to do that. All these kids think they're the guy that's gonna get it done.