The WH Transition Thread --- all things Trump to Biden until Inauguration

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: The WH Transition Thread --- all things Trump to Biden until Inauguration

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:12 pm Relevant experience is always preferable to a lack of relevant experience. As for the MTA head ... who knows. Is s/he uniquely bad or does the budget/funding and DeBlasio and everyone else involved make it an impossible job?

I'd turn that question around ... pick the five cities you think have the best run transportation systems in the country and then construct an argument for how Buttigieg could possibly be more qualified than any of those five.
I just don't know that the knowledge gained from handling a municipal transit system is remotely necessary for this job, and I'd bet it isn't. Does making trains run on time or managing bus routes help you know how to maintain and operate a highway system or start a program for high-speed trains? Probably not. If you have good management skills and rely on your experts to make decisions that improve the social good, that's probably more important. If Pete successfully headed a transit authority in a major city, would that help him succeed as Secretary of Transportation? Maybe, but I really don't think it would matter all that much. Would being mayor of New York, Boston or Chicago give him the appropriate experience? I doubt it, I don't think they spend all that much time in the weeds on transportation issues. They select someone and trust their judgment and maybe make a few policy decisions, but they aren't in the weeds on those issues. A smaller city's mayor might actually be more involved, as they wouldn't need a full time executive role to handle transit.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

And that doesn't feel like a retrofit argument to justify the decision? Like would you really have put any effort into touting Buttigieg for DoT before it was given to him?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I wonder what happens at the mister d house when the old lady buys store brand Mayo.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This is the second fucked up thing tonight; I have a text chat that was talking about best mayonnaise brands tonight as well.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:12 pm Relevant experience is always preferable to a lack of relevant experience. As for the MTA head ... who knows. Is s/he uniquely bad or does the budget/funding and DeBlasio and everyone else involved make it an impossible job?

I'd turn that question around ... pick the five cities you think have the best run transportation systems in the country and then construct an argument for how Buttigieg could possibly be more qualified than any of those five.
This is so fucked up it’s not even wrong.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

This was kinda helpful to me:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_ ... sportation

“The United States secretary of transportation is the head of the United States Department of Transportation, a member of the president's Cabinet, and fourteenth in the presidential line of succession.[1] The post was created on October 15, 1966, when President Lyndon B. Johnson signed the Department of Transportation Act.[2] The department's mission is "to develop and coordinate policies that will provide an efficient and economical national transportation system, with due regard for need, the environment, and the national defense."[2] The secretary of transportation oversees eleven agencies, including the Federal Aviation Administration, the Federal Highway Administration, the Federal Railroad Administration, and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.[2]”
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

“Primary Duties of the Secretary: The Transportation Secretary oversees the formulation of national transportation policy and promotes intermodal transportation. Other responsibilities range from negotiation and implementation of international transportation agreements, assuring the fitness of US airlines, enforcing airline consumer protection regulations, issuance of regulations to prevent alcohol and illegal drug misuse in transportation systems and preparing transportation legislation. (Source)“

https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.acton ... y.html/amp
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

This was in one of the things I linked to, but evidently most of what DOT does is handled by the heads of these large divisions. FHWA, FAA, FRA, NHTSA, etc.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I find it hilarious how mister d and Johnnie are all of the sudden sooooooo concerned about a random cabinet position. I've gone from not really liking the pick to fucking loving it in record time.

All we need now is Joe K to come in and argue that if you think about it, trump's picks weren't all that bad.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

He's fourteenth in line? God damn libz trying to force a damn homersexual president on us!
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Giff wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:48 amI find it hilarious how mister d and Johnnie are all of the sudden sooooooo concerned about a random cabinet position. I've gone from not really liking the pick to fucking loving it in record time.
Nothing like modifying your own opinions if you see its owning the libz, eh?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

It's more like if I see people acting like lunatics over something like this, it makes me rethink my original position.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:37 pm And that doesn't feel like a retrofit argument to justify the decision? Like would you really have put any effort into touting Buttigieg for DoT before it was given to him?
I wouldn't have given DoT a thought at all, either before or after Pete's appointment, if you didn't make a huge deal out of it. As long as it isn't an evil corporatist with a mission to cut the balls off of regulators or an incompetent moron, I really don't give a fuck who is in the role. I think Pete will do a good job, but I'm, sure there are thousands of other people who would also do a good job in the role. I don't think it requires industry specific knowledge or experience, so I'm not touting Pete for the role over anyone else. I'm not remotely excited about the appointment, but I wouldn't be excited about anyone getting the appointment, because it only matters if its an incompetent person or someone seeking to weaken the Agency's powers to cut regulations.

While it is a step for Pete's career, I don't think it's some amazing high profile position to launch a future Presidential campaign or make a big name for himself. Again, what high profile Sec of T moves made waves throughout the history of the position? None. One out of the 17 former Secretaries moved on to bigger positions.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Giff wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:58 am It's more like if I see people acting like lunatics over something like this, it makes me rethink my original position.
And your position isn't being changed by anything other than the anger the decision generated. That's textbook "owned the libz" nonsense.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Sure, whatever you want to call it to make you feel better about your hysterical reaction to this.

The difference is though, while I didn't really understand the pick, I want it to succeed even if Mayor Pete isn't my ideal progressive. Whereas You and Johnnie are looking for any reason to hate on Biden and want him to go down in flames. So that makes me want the pick to succeed even more.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

A lot of talk about DT inserting the Insurrection Act.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insurre ... ct_of_1807
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

psunate77 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:39 am A lot of talk about DT inserting the Insurrection Act.

Will he declare Marshall Law?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:40 am
psunate77 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:39 am A lot of talk about DT inserting the Insurrection Act.

Yes, because after 4 years of insulting “the Generals,” they are going to lineup to lead his coup.
-Pruitt
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:43 am

Yes, because after 4 years of insulting “the Generals,” they are going to lineup to lead his coup.
They have to follow his command until 01/20
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

What if his command is to cover up repeated sexual assaults of children by Mike Pence inside the White House?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

psunate77 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:53 pm
The Sybian wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:43 am

They have to follow his command until 01/20
Yeah, that’s not true. They don’t have to follow any command that’s unconstitutional.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I wish this piece of shit would just die.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Giff wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:20 am Sure, whatever you want to call it to make you feel better about your hysterical reaction to this.

The difference is though, while I didn't really understand the pick, I want it to succeed even if Mayor Pete isn't my ideal progressive. Whereas You and Johnnie are looking for any reason to hate on Biden and want him to go down in flames. So that makes me want the pick to succeed even more.
Speaking of hysterical reactions... Jesus. You ok?

This was his gift for dropping in the primary when told by the establishment. He played his folksy, small town persona into the president's cabinet when he couldn't be chair of the DNC in 2017. It's a huge step and good for him.

But I can also say that this looks a bit weird when the resumé is: 38 year old mayor of a small town, prior military, speaks 7 languages, and speaks well in public.

Sure his mayoral experience helps, but when I'm a 37 year old logistician in the military, I'm going to look at this with a side eye. One of the biggest characteristics of my job is to call bullshit in the most politically correct way possible because of the bosses I have. (I've had commanders literally demand I reroute aircraft in order to accommodate military operations for them and it takes everything I am to not laugh in their face and tell them off.)

It's in my nature to be consistently hysterical skeptical.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

do we now need to start a thread asking what everyone's definition of a "small town" is?
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:12 pm do we now need to start a thread asking what everyone's definition of a "small town" is?
I mean we all know who the ultimate arbiter is on this question, but lemme just say that Lonesome Jubilee is better than Scarecrow.
Noli Timere Messorem
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

South Bend has over 100,000 inhabitants. Fourth largest in Indiana. It is a city.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

duff wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:33 pm South Bend has over 100,000 inhabitants. Fourth largest in Indiana. It is a city.
Municipality at best.

Kidding. Totes a city.

So, pretty sure I know the top two but blanking on the third. I’ll look it up. Carry one.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Hanover and French Lick are top two.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:50 pm Hanover and French Lick are top two.
Right. Who knew Indianapolis was big enough to be third?

I can’t believe I couldn’t fogure three out. Been there far more than any other Indiana city.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

A_B wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:48 pm
duff wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:33 pm South Bend has over 100,000 inhabitants. Fourth largest in Indiana. It is a city.
Municipality at best.

Kidding. Totes a city.

So, pretty sure I know the top two but blanking on the third. I’ll look it up. Carry one.
Indy, Fort Wayne, Evansville, then South Bend.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Is Terre Haute fifth or is it some suburb of Indy?
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Terre Haute isn't even in the top 10. Carmel and then other Hamilton County suburbs and exurbs of Indy.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I guess I should've used a hyphen?
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

When a reputable historian writes the history of the Trump era, a good opening scene would be of the President frantically retweeting idiocies from small "news" channels regarding conspiracies to fix the election while revelations of massive Russian hacking and spying have been revealed.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Steve, might want to shoot this guy a note and let him know he hates Bernie:

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:58 pm Steve, might want to shoot this guy a note and let him know he hates Bernie:

Sorry, why does he hate Bernie?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I've been told that black voters rejecting Bernie was a very big part of his completely organic loss.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

psunate77 wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:30 pm
This is insane...

Trump Weighed Naming Election Conspiracy Theorist as Special Counsel
President Trump on Friday discussed naming Sidney Powell, who as a lawyer for his campaign team unleashed conspiracy theories about a Venezuelan plot to rig voting machines in the United States, to be a special counsel overseeing an investigation of voter fraud, according to two people briefed on the discussion.