Defector.com

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

EnochRoot
The Dude

Re: Defector.com

Post by EnochRoot »

Mike Tunison sounds like the guy who yelled the loudest at the first friend in the group to get married. Except now it’s 15 years later and he’s still mad.

At some point, you have to grow up.
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I mean, it sounds like his main beef is that he isn't still allowed to be an asshole more than Magary "getting away" with apologizing. Kinda thinking the whole thing is just a work to try and get Barstool or Travis to hire him.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

More back story

If he's telling the truth, he's been pretty unfairly worked over and deserves at least to air his side without being accused of ulterior motives.

And g-d-willing the general topic of who gets to solemnly apologize for being a piece of shit and get accepted back into the mainstream's good graces and who doesn't is about to become pretty relevant.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Area men willingly walk into minefield. Area ghost pissed others survived.
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:42 am More back story

If he's telling the truth, he's been pretty unfairly worked over and deserves at least to air his side without being accused of ulterior motives.

And g-d-willing the general topic of who gets to solemnly apologize for being a piece of shit and get accepted back into the mainstream's good graces and who doesn't is about to become pretty relevant.
OK, just saying don't be surprised if all of the sudden we hear he gets hired by Travis or Portnoy.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:20 am

OK, just saying don't be surprised if all of the sudden we hear he gets hired by Travis or Portnoy.
I feel the same as brian. Every time he rants about Magary being allowed back in, Tunison never allows for the chance that Magary could have actually evolved as a human being and was sincere in his apologies. Instead, he constantly brays the word "liberal" as a catch-all for everything that approves of Magary and not him. Tunison's axe is dull, but he feels that, if he swings it enough times, it will eventually make a hole in the wall he can squeeze through to get back to the "good side". And by "good side", I mean "can have a well-paying job writing" and not "being accepted as a good person".
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

So I read that...and still have no idea why any of this would be Magary's issue.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:55 am

I feel the same as brian. Every time he rants about Magary being allowed back in, Tunison never allows for the chance that Magary could have actually evolved as a human being and was sincere in his apologies. Instead, he constantly brays the word "liberal" as a catch-all for everything that approves of Magary and not him. Tunison's axe is dull, but he feels that, if he swings it enough times, it will eventually make a hole in the wall he can squeeze through to get back to the "good side". And by "good side", I mean "can have a well-paying job writing" and not "being accepted as a good person".
Could it also be the fact that Magary is a better, more entertaining writer than Tunison, and more likely to drive traffic to a website? Also, the fact that this thread is near to the Antonio Brown thread, which references the Defector article by Diana Moskovitz that says the same thing, is really fantastic timing.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Well, Magary also constantly goes out of his way to link back to his Deadspin article instead of "I shouldn't be punished still!" He full acknowledges his bad behavior and continues to make sure people do know he's made mistakes. It's actually a normal thing people do in traditional recovery situations (not that this is traditional)...you keep acknowledging it to help keep yourself aware.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

L-Jam3 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:05 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:55 am

Could it also be the fact that Magary is a better, more entertaining writer than Tunison, and more likely to drive traffic to a website? Also, the fact that this thread is near to the Antonio Brown thread, which references the Defector article by Diana Moskovitz that says the same thing, is really fantastic timing.
This is also likely true.

My point was just that I agree that Tunison can now be brought "back to life" with one of those two clowns as a sign of "PC run amok and killed this man's career blah blah blah, wanking gesture..."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

A_B wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:08 pm Well, Magary also constantly goes out of his way to link back to his Deadspin article instead of "I shouldn't be punished still!" He full acknowledges his bad behavior and continues to make sure people do know he's made mistakes. It's actually a normal thing people do in traditional recovery situations (not that this is traditional)...you keep acknowledging it to help keep yourself aware.
But...if I remember correctly, Magary was never accused of any sexual harassment or bad behavior like that. It was just him acknowledging that he wrote some things that, under present circumstances, is questionable.

In this case, Tunison seems to have something in his past that is lingering out there, even though he says he never did anything wrong.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:16 pm
A_B wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:08 pm Well, Magary also constantly goes out of his way to link back to his Deadspin article instead of "I shouldn't be punished still!" He full acknowledges his bad behavior and continues to make sure people do know he's made mistakes. It's actually a normal thing people do in traditional recovery situations (not that this is traditional)...you keep acknowledging it to help keep yourself aware.
But...if I remember correctly, Magary was never accused of any sexual harassment or bad behavior like that. It was just him acknowledging that he wrote some things that, under present circumstances, is questionable.

In this case, Tunison seems to have something in his past that is lingering out there, even though he says he never did anything wrong.
I think that’s correct.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Reading the he said, he said, it struck me that they both wrote for a blog named after a moment that made light of Suzy Kolber being sexually harassed by Joe Namath on live TV.

I, along with everyone, didn't oppose the name at all. But now that I look back...ugh.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

It's not at Defector, but David J Roth on "How Don Jr. Became the Future of Trumpism" is worth your time.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:37 pm It's not at Defector, but David J Roth on "How Don Jr. Became the Future of Trumpism" is worth your time.
Yep, great as always. And dead on.

While I'll be doing it from afar, it will be interesting to see what happens in the Republican Party if Trump is defeated, especially if it's an overwhelming defeat. I'd put odds that the two favorites for the 2024 GOP nomination would be Donald Trump (if he's alive and not in prison, both of which are doubtful) and Donald Trump Jr., in that order.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

brian wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:45 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:37 pm It's not at Defector, but David J Roth on "How Don Jr. Became the Future of Trumpism" is worth your time.

While I'll be doing it from afar, it will be interesting to see what happens in the Republican Party if Trump is defeated, especially if it's an overwhelming defeat. I'd put odds that the two favorites for the 2024 GOP nomination would be Donald Trump (if he's alive and not in prison, both of which are doubtful) and Donald Trump Jr., in that order.
Out of left field: Junior gets assassinated by a Russian bullet to throw the US into further chaos regardless of who is president.
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:48 pm
brian wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:45 pm

Out of left field: Junior gets assassinated by a Russian bullet to throw the US into further chaos regardless of who is president.
Would more likely be some polonium-210 snuck into his coke stash, but that would be something.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

https://defector.com/lets-cook-some-gre ... easy-kind/

Made this on Saturday mainly because I happened to read the recipe that morning and I hadn't made chili yet this fall because my one kid who will eat it has decided to stop eating beef and pork for now and it was really great. I used mostly cubanelle peppers because it's easier to add hot after the fact than take it away and my wife especially is a wimp with heat, and I used four pretty big tomatillos and would recommend overloading on those.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

It should illegal to have a recipe, even a loose one, only in narrative form.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Yeah, this might have been the first time I've actually made one of his "recipes." If it had been any end result more demanding than chili that could have been an issue, as I definitely winged the number of peppers and tomatillos.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

rass wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:15 pm https://defector.com/lets-cook-some-gre ... easy-kind/

Made this on Saturday mainly because I happened to read the recipe that morning and I hadn't made chili yet this fall because my one kid who will eat it has decided to stop eating beef and pork for now and it was really great. I used mostly cubanelle peppers because it's easier to add hot after the fact than take it away and my wife especially is a wimp with heat, and I used four pretty big tomatillos and would recommend overloading on those.
I made that last weekend as well. I used 2 jalapenos, 2 anaheims, and 4 roasted Hatch (that I had in my freezer). Turned out great, and wasn't overly spicy (my GF doesn't really do spicy, so I was worried it was going to be too much).

I also made the beef stew one a couple of weeks ago, and that turned out good as well, although I did 'doctor' up the recipe some.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:45 am May I ask which level you're selecting? As someone who will very likely not take advantage of most of the additional items that come at the $99 level (commenting, live Q&A's, etc.), do you feel the newsletter may include things to help "make it worth" the additional $30/year? It need not be a particularly high bar, but just want to know what you think.
The link to this tweet in today's newsletter was worth the extra $30 for the first year.

And reading Ray Ratto on whatever he damn well pleases to eviscerate five days a week feels good.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Drew's story about spending the day with Al Michaels was good.

Al Michaels has never ate a vegetable???
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Starting to feel more and more like the old Deadspin site. Which is a very good thing. Which also means the comment section is popping and home to some gems again, like this one from the LaRussa drunk again post:
I pride myself as a man who can handle his booze, as there's a drive into derp reft feel by Castlevania and that'll be a home run. And so that'll make it a 6-0 gallbame. I don't know if I'm getting behine the weel again.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

As soon as you wrote "the comments are coming around" and before I read the quote, I thought "they've already played out the Brennaman thing" and then you proved me wrong.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:21 pm As soon as you wrote "the comments are coming around" and before I read the quote, I thought "they've already played out the Brennaman thing" and then you proved me wrong.
That one was perfect.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I thought that was pretty good.
Perhaps because the coronavirus has become an incredibly stark microcosm and metaphor in the 21st century battle over the existence of objective truths, I have found that it can be easy to forget that the NFL’s exasperating and worsening mid-week spikes in COVID-19 cases are not, or are not only, a little recurring triumph for my side of that battle. I have been locked in my house for most of a year; in two weeks or so it will be true that my first child was both conceived and born not just during acute phases of the virus’s stateside spread, but without there having ever been any non-acute intervening periods where it was effectively managed. From this position of endless social isolation and monotony, I find that I do become the thing that delusional reactionary maniacs most want me to be, which is someone whose pandemic caution is inescapably tied up with my political identity. It has long since become the case that infection statistics help to make sense of and validate the choices I have made over the last year, about how to live. It’s weird and uncomfortable to admit that, but there it is.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Ryan wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:25 pm https://defector.com/test-your-guy-reme ... knowledge/

Currently in 15th place, you all.
Um, wow. I just did ten questions and quit.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Its here...a Christmas tradition like no other...

The 2020 Hater’s Guide To The Williams-Sonoma Catalog
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Just so you don't think that the Defector is all dick jokes or goofy sports stories...

What I Learned From Reading Over A Thousand Letters To Santa
I wanted to know what kids were asking Santa for during a pandemic, so each day from Dec. 4, when the first batch of letters hit the website, to Dec. 13, I spent hours engaged in the surreal, intimate, heart-wrenching practice of reading children’s letters to Santa Claus one after another—about a thousand in all. This year, Operation Santa is an explicit look at the disastrous impact of COVID-19 on America’s poor and the utter failure of the government’s response.
Be prepared to have some sadness at how desperate people have become, and absolute fury at how fucked our government response to this has been.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Only two paragraphs in to David Roth's latest and I'm ROLLING with laughter.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:30 am Only two paragraphs in to David Roth's latest and I'm ROLLING with laughter.
Roth is the best when writing about Trump. He just gets the whole act better than anyone.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I never read the Jambaroo but did this week because it was Ashley Feinberg and it’s just as great as I wanted.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

mister d wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:09 pm I never read the Jambaroo but did this week because it was Ashley Feinberg and it’s just as great as I wanted.
Too much Mike Pence and Little Mike content!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

This is a spectacular piece of writing.

When The Cherries Run Out
I ate the cherry he handed to me in the palm of his hand, so flat like it might fly away. My face puckered. “They’re like sour candy!” I yelled, thrilled. And he laughed at me, but he gave me a few in a baggie and I ate them all on the walk back to my apartment. The next week I bought the cherries first. I loved them.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I feel like she was at the original deadspin for a while but I don't remember her writing anything like it is now.