Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Movies

Post by Johnnie »

If you're so inclined, the Reddit thread goes in on this movie.
[+] spoiler
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Hilarious and all true.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We watched WW84 last night. Its bad. I fell asleep for the middle portion.

That said...mmmmm Gal Gadot.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Godzilla Vs. Mothra is ok.

Not much explanation as to how Godzilla showed up. He was just there. But Mothra's death scene was very poignant.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The number of extras for Monty python movies is amazing.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:22 am We watched WW84 last night. Its bad. I fell asleep for the middle portion.

That said...mmmmm Gal Gadot.
Agree on all points, but I am also a very big fan of Ms Wiig. (Wiig, Amy Poehler and Tina Fey get 3 and half ms from me,)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Got click baited this morning. Headline was New Monty Python Movie under development. Then learned a studio is fast tracking Spamalot for production. Let down but probably a good thing in the grand scheme of things.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We watched 'First Cow' last night and liked it a lot. Not quite sure about the ending though....
[+] spoiler
I mean...we didn't NEED to see what happened to know what happened at the end, but it was just strange how all of a sudden it was over.
One comment after it was over...how bad did everyone smell back then? I mean....everyone wears the same clothes all the time...no one bathes. Its gotta just reek.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:38 pm We watched 'First Cow' last night and liked it a lot. Not quite sure about the ending though....
[+] spoiler
I mean...we didn't NEED to see what happened to know what happened at the end, but it was just strange how all of a sudden it was over.
One comment after it was over...how bad did everyone smell back then? I mean....everyone wears the same clothes all the time...no one bathes. Its gotta just reek.
If everyone smells no one smells.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:40 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:38 pm We watched 'First Cow' last night and liked it a lot. Not quite sure about the ending though....
[+] spoiler
If everyone smells no one smells.
Says it right on the Bond family crest.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

Watched One Night in Miami last night, and I thought it was absolutely beautiful. I felt like each one of the main actors really studied the mannerisms and speech patterns of the people they were portraying. I could even hear some similarities in the way my dad and Clay (Ali) speak with their Louisville way of saying certain words; e.g. rasslin' instead of wrestling. Hoping Regina King gets some Oscar buzz as well.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Reaper wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:23 pm Watched One Night in Miami last night, and I thought it was absolutely beautiful. I felt like each one of the main actors really studied the mannerisms and speech patterns of the people they were portraying. I could even hear some similarities in the way my dad and Clay (Ali) speak with their Louisville way of saying certain words; e.g. rasslin' instead of wrestling. Hoping Regina King gets some Oscar buzz as well.
I love her so much. The scene in The Leftovers with her and Carrie Coon jumping on the trampoline to “Protect Ya Neck (The Jump Off)” will be burned in my brain until the day I die.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:27 pm
Reaper wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:23 pm Watched One Night in Miami last night, and I thought it was absolutely beautiful. I felt like each one of the main actors really studied the mannerisms and speech patterns of the people they were portraying. I could even hear some similarities in the way my dad and Clay (Ali) speak with their Louisville way of saying certain words; e.g. rasslin' instead of wrestling. Hoping Regina King gets some Oscar buzz as well.
I love her so much. The scene in The Leftovers with her and Carrie Coon jumping on the trampoline to “Protect Ya Neck (The Jump Off)” will be burned in my brain until the day I die.
It was really enjoyable. Right after the roof scene, my wife and I both commented that it felt like a play.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:31 pm
brian wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:27 pm
It was really enjoyable. Right after the roof scene, my wife and I both commented that it felt like a play.
I was thinking the same thing at one point, though I can't remember during which scene. And of course, it was based on a play. I'm just glad they kept the playwright as the screenplay writer. I feel like it lends more authenticity to its source.

Now I have to go further back in this thread to see everyone's thoughts on tonight's film: The Trial of the Chicago 7. Two excellent films on back to back nights. This one left me speechless and motionless except for periodically shaking my head in anger.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

bfj wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:15 am
rass wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:58 pm Toy Story 4 was exceeding well done but ultimately just as unnecessary as the live action remakes of Dumbo, Aladdin and The Lion King.
Agreed, but I still enjoyed the movie and got a few laughs out of it.
Loved it. Thought it was very funny and stunning to look at.

Vincent(s) are going to haunt my dreams.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Watching One Night In Miami and ended up Wiki-ing Muhammad Ali’s fight record and only just now learned that he avenged his loss to Ken Norton on the night I was born.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:54 pm Watching One Night In Miami and ended up Wiki-ing Muhammad Ali’s fight record and only just now learned that he avenged his loss to Ken Norton on the night I was born.
Ali lost the first fight, but it was an incredible performance considering Norton broke his jaw in the first round.

As I recall, their 3rd fight was an absolute screw job on Norton.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The Go-Go's documentary (aired on Showtime originally) is very good. The last ten minutes or so showing the modern day just felt out of place, even though they are kind of necessary to button things up.

It never ceases to amaze me that researchers can find 40-year-old home videos and pictures of people. I'm sure a lot of those materials came from the band members, but it's just mind-boggling that there is video of a marquee of a Hollywood club of some local band.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:21 am The Go-Go's documentary (aired on Showtime originally) is very good. The last ten minutes or so showing the modern day just felt out of place, even though they are kind of necessary to button things up.

It never ceases to amaze me that researchers can find 40-year-old home videos and pictures of people. I'm sure a lot of those materials came from the band members, but it's just mind-boggling that there is video of a marquee of a Hollywood club of some local band.
I was never much of a Go-Gos fan, but it was a very good documentary. And honestly I didn't know they had ever reunited, so that part was at least a little interesting to me. I had thought Jane Wiedlin hated everyone's guts but apparently not!?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

My wife has been wanting to read in the evenings lately, which is cool, but not really my jam during the 6-10p hours. So, I've been watching and catching a bunch of stuff I've wanted to see that I know she wouldn't care about.

Okja From the guy that did Parasite (and Snowpiercer), this a very strange, very entertaining (and weird, and bizarrre) movie. Global corp creates a "super pig" ostensibly to combat hunger issues (that's not really it) and a Korean family is one of 26 chosen to raise one of the test subjects. I mean, imma stop there, you can go find it if you want. I really enjoyed it, but it's a fucking trip, man.

The Peanut Butter Falcon I guess Shia is a little out of favor these days, but, man, I really enjoyed this movie. Well, except for Dakota Johnson, who went out of her way to suck (she can't really help it, she just sucks.)

Midnight Special Great cast, cool concept. Boy is this weird prodigal/mystical/paranormal/alien being... Or is he? (he is, not a spoiler) Just a really interesting take on the supernatural story, with a father/son angle. Again, great cast and highly recommended.

Hunt for the Wilderpeople From Kiwi that brought you Thor: Ragnorok and JoJo Rabbit (and I think is playing a big role in Mando??)... This is a very sweet movie about a troubled kid (little dude in Deadpool) and a foster family (grouchy father figure is Sam Neill). I really, really enjoyed this kind of goofy, but with an edge "on the lamb" movie set in the NZ bush (mostly.)

The Hummingbird Project Featuring Jesse Eisenberg, Skaarsgard and Selma Hajak... Eh, but not totally Meh. The plot is a highly technical caper type deal involving creating a high speed fiber connection that allows "someone" to jump the line on stock transactions. If that sounds kind of out there and slightly esoteric... It is. If you like Jesse, you should watch this... If he annoys you, run away. It's peak Jesse. (The dude that is a lead in Better Call Saul (they threaten his dad) is one of the saving graces of the movie, great performance.)

I also went back and watched Waiting with Ryan Reynolds, Justin Long, Anna Ferris, Guzman and a bunch of other recognizable actors... I enjoyed it, as I've never actually seen the whole thing start to finish. But, hoo... You couldn't make that movie today, I don't think. And it's funny, I listen to Justin's podcast and he's had a bunch of the people from that movie on that podcast, yet they never really talk about the actual movie where they all met. I hadn't understood why... Now I do. Yeesh.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Midnight Special was great.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I've watched Wilderpeople twice and could probably go again.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

P.D.X. wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:10 pm I've watched Wilderpeople twice and could probably go again.
It's so wonderful.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I've been tempted to watch a bunch of stuff twice recently, but I realized looking over Best Movies on X Platform that I just haven't gotten to so many that I wanted to see when they first came out.

Wilderpeople was just pure awesome from start to finish. Obvious point, but the kid is delightful and just so thoroughly watchable. I think on second watch, I'd get more humor out of the social worker and cop combo.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Someone mentioned the Amazon X-ray feature upthread where you can see the cast and movie trivia, which I also love. One of the best bits I've come across is from Andy Sidaris's Guns (yeah I watch shitty movies. no shame in my game):
John Brown, who played Brown, was a highly touted freshman running back who many analysts believed would be the #1 pick in the 1990 NFL draft by the Houston Oilers. Ignoring his agent's advice Brown decided to take a small, meaningless role in this film just weeks before the draft. While filming a fight scene Brown was to kick through a door. The stunt effects team had failed to swap to a breakaway panel resulting in Brown kicking clean through a mahogany door tearing his ACL, MCL, achilles and knee cap. After 6 years of gruelling rehabilitation Brown ended up playing 2 games as a backup for the Edmonton Eskimos where he ran for 17 yards on 9 carries.
The film he passed on an NFL career for:

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:21 am The Go-Go's documentary (aired on Showtime originally) is very good. The last ten minutes or so showing the modern day just felt out of place, even though they are kind of necessary to button things up.

Saw it on a free weekend for Showtime on DirecTV. I thought it was really good. Also, I just started reading bass player Kathy Valentine's memoir Everything I Ever Wanted. She was a wild girl.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

This is amazing
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A Trip To Greece was "meh"
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Pruitt wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:10 pm A Trip To Greece was "meh"
That sucks. I enjoyed the first ones.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

govmentchedda wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:25 pm
That sucks. I enjoyed the first ones.
Your mileage may vary.

I loved the first one, liked the second, didn't like the third and this one was better than the last. Just seemed tired, except...
[+] spoiler
Coogan confronting his age and facing some realities for the first time was nicely handled
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Just finished watching 'One Night In Miami'. Great movie. The guy who played Sam Cooke was really good.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:30 am Just finished watching 'One Night In Miami'. Great movie. The guy who played Sam Cooke was really good.
Leslie Odom, Jr. Originated the role of Aaron Burr in a little-known Broadway musical about Alexander Hamilton.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Funny I was just gonna move that up the queue because Rob Brydon mentioned on this week's episode of Would I Lie To You?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:33 pm
Funny I was just gonna move that up the queue because Rob Brydon mentioned on this week's episode of Would I Lie To You?
Don't let me talk you out of it. There are a couple of giggles.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:34 pm
Rush2112 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:33 pm
Don't let me talk you out of it. There are a couple of giggles.
That's how I felt about this week's episode of WILTY, though David Mitchell did go on a bit of a rant in regards to the actions of the Vicar who was on Lee Mack's team. (and it's weird that our religious celebrities have huge mega-churches and spew bullshit, and in the UK they have them on comedy panel shows.)
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I watched the new Denzel cop movie 'The Little Things' over a couple of sessions on my wind trainer.

Completely standard, run-of-the-mill cop/serial killer movie, that is trying really hard (and not making it) to be a "Seven" clone, from the 'grizzled old cop, young hot shot cop" pairing to the "charismatic suspect".

Definite "meh -" for me....although Denzel is always fun to watch.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:45 am I watched the new Denzel cop movie 'The Little Things' over a couple of sessions on my wind trainer.

Completely standard, run-of-the-mill cop/serial killer movie, that is trying really hard (and not making it) to be a "Seven" clone, from the 'grizzled old cop, young hot shot cop" pairing to the "charismatic suspect".

100% agree. Although I have a hard time with thinking Rami Malek is a good actor He was perfect in Mr. Robot and fine in the Queen biopic, but just did not do it for me. I think it is because he is so quirky/odd in his mannerisms/voice and as a result all of his characters feel too similar (and these 3 should all be very different).
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:53 am
DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:45 am I watched the new Denzel cop movie 'The Little Things' over a couple of sessions on my wind trainer.

100% agree. Although I have a hard time with thinking Rami Malek is a good actor He was perfect in Mr. Robot and fine in the Queen biopic, but just did not do it for me. I think it is because he is so quirky/odd in his mannerisms/voice and as a result all of his characters feel too similar (and these 3 should all be very different).
I read a review somewhere that said that Malek is just too quirky of an actor to play a 'by-the-book' cop, and wondered if it would have worked better if Malek and Leto had switched roles.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We watched 'Tenet' last night....

Looked great...fun actors...but absolutely could not follow it at all. And we followed the advice I saw somewhere online to watch with the subtitles on. Didn't help.

And wow....Elizabeth Debecki is really tall (6' 3")!