The Dude

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by tennbengal »

That’s so much better !
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Good news, DiS! I really look forward to when we can all get the vaccination. (Especially my parents, in their 80s.)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Young conservatives mingled maskless at Mar-a-Lago and partied with a money cannon
Conservative student group Turning Point USA held two large events in Florida this weekend, including one at Mar-a-Lago, President Trump’s private club, allegedly violating local coronavirus restrictions and disregarding authorities’ pleas to avoid such massive gatherings.

Turning Point on Friday night held its annual winter gala at Mar-a-Lago in Palm Beach. The party was attended by hundreds of students, organizers and GOP notables such as South Dakota Gov. Kristi L. Noem, Sen. Rand Paul (Ky.), White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany and Mike Lindell, otherwise known as the “MyPillow Guy.”

Then on Saturday, thousands of students gathered indoors at the organization’s “Student Action Summit,” where they heard from conservative GOP speakers, including Donald Trump Jr., and cheered loudly as women shot money into the crowd with a cannon.
I've never wanted to invest in a guillotine before...

And here's a clip from the Conference:

I can't wait for that guy to get caught up in some kind of scandal...
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Last night I heard a father of a girl in my son's class died of COVID. Feeling horrible for the kids. Father was in the hospital for 2 weeks, and their mother has been in and out of a mental institution for years. 14. 16 and 19 or 20 yo girls, the oldest is autistic.

Then this morning I heard a weird one that I don't quite understand yet. A boy in my son's class went to the doctor, as they thought he broke his jaw in a sledding accident. He hit his jaw, and the following day it was severely swollen. x-rays were negative. The kid tested positive for COVID a few weeks ago, but but asymptomatic. They had him tested as he was in close contact with a positive case. Doctors told them that the swelling is caused by COVID virus attacking a trauma point. I don't understand how this is possible and only going off of what the mother texted, but it makes me nervous if asymptomatic people, especially a kid, can have effects weeks after they are exposed and presumed virus free. It'll be interesting to look back in a few years when we really learn the effects of this virus.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:03 pm Last night I heard a father of a girl in my son's class died of COVID. Feeling horrible for the kids. Father was in the hospital for 2 weeks, and their mother has been in and out of a mental institution for years. 14. 16 and 19 or 20 yo girls, the oldest is autistic.
That's terrible...
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:03 pmThen this morning I heard a weird one that I don't quite understand yet. A boy in my son's class went to the doctor, as they thought he broke his jaw in a sledding accident. He hit his jaw, and the following day it was severely swollen. x-rays were negative. The kid tested positive for COVID a few weeks ago, but but asymptomatic. They had him tested as he was in close contact with a positive case. Doctors told them that the swelling is caused by COVID virus attacking a trauma point. I don't understand how this is possible and only going off of what the mother texted, but it makes me nervous if asymptomatic people, especially a kid, can have effects weeks after they are exposed and presumed virus free. It'll be interesting to look back in a few years when we really learn the effects of this virus.
I know I've been doing a lot of "wow, this weirdly just came up in my real life too" lately, but its happening again. I'd never heard of anything like this but a friend on a zoom last night was talking about how the virus can attack already compromised teeth and cause them to fall out. That sounds super fucked up.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:32 pm
I know I've been doing a lot of "wow, this weirdly just came up in my real life too" lately,
Isn't that what the Swamp is for?
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

That’s outstanding. Now I’m disappointed that Posobiec blocked me.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

However fucking stupid you think these people they somehow always manage to top it.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:03 pm Last night I heard a father of a girl in my son's class died of COVID. Feeling horrible for the kids. Father was in the hospital for 2 weeks, and their mother has been in and out of a mental institution for years. 14. 16 and 19 or 20 yo girls, the oldest is autistic.

Then this morning I heard a weird one that I don't quite understand yet. A boy in my son's class went to the doctor, as they thought he broke his jaw in a sledding accident. He hit his jaw, and the following day it was severely swollen. x-rays were negative. The kid tested positive for COVID a few weeks ago, but but asymptomatic. They had him tested as he was in close contact with a positive case. Doctors told them that the swelling is caused by COVID virus attacking a trauma point. I don't understand how this is possible and only going off of what the mother texted, but it makes me nervous if asymptomatic people, especially a kid, can have effects weeks after they are exposed and presumed virus free. It'll be interesting to look back in a few years when we really learn the effects of this virus.
Ugh.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Around one year ago at this time, some dude in Wuhan, China had just been infected with what would become known as SARS-Cov-2.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:49 pm
I love this so much, and I don't want to be the pedantic prick here, but the COVID vaccines don't actually contain a weakened virus, but trigger our bodies to produce the same protein that surrounds the virus, which causes our immune system to create the antibodies that kill the virus. Jack P is still a complete moron deserving our scorn, and if I didn't know who wrote his Tweet, I'd assume it was sarcasm, but he is actually that much of a moron.
-Pruitt
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

That wasn't sarcasm? I don't know that dude so assumed it was.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

(At least) 1 out of 1,000 Americans has now died of COVID in just nine months.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

My GF (who works as a sonographer at a high risk obstetrics clinic) got her vaccine today. Best Christmas gift ever.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:26 pm My GF (who works as a sonographer at a high risk obstetrics clinic) got her vaccine today. Best Christmas gift ever.
That's awesome.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:46 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:26 pm My GF (who works as a sonographer at a high risk obstetrics clinic) got her vaccine today. Best Christmas gift ever.
That's awesome.
Fuck yeah it is. She thought it would be another few weeks, but the doctors in her clinics raised a stink and got them bumped up on the list.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Fucking awesome! Learned on the family zoom tonight that a few family members have appointments before the new year as well.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Man, I cannot wait until my aged parents can get the vaccination. They feel the same way.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

LA is set to get her first dose on Thursday aaaaaaaaaand ... the new employee she was training yesterday found out halfway through the day that multiple people she spent Xmas with have tested positive. That woman was immediately sent home but not before she was told to go downstairs and get a test.

they were wearing PPE while in close proximity to each other for the entirety of the day sans lunch in the break room. so we basically pretended that LA was positive last night after she got home and wore masks and she slept downstairs and I didn't see her at all before she left today. we'll keep doing that until we find out how to proceed based on the woman's test results.

weeeeeeeeeeee
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Here’s why vaccinations are so slow - (it’s pretty much what you would have thought it was in terms of blame):

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:42 am Albuquerque is going, uh, viral...

Megachurches fined for violating public health orders
But when governments exceed their constitutional authority and contradict what we are called on by God to do, we answer first to His authority.”
Asking rhetorically - wouldn't these folks be the types who'd get hard over "law and order?"
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Christian flavored Sharia Law (their 'law and order') is preferable to a secular, free-thinking democracy (where the greater good's needs need to come before individuals) yes.

As George Carlin once said: "My God has a bigger dick than your God."

Edit:

Specified what I meant.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:38 pm LA is set to get her first dose on Thursday aaaaaaaaaand ... the new employee she was training yesterday found out halfway through the day that multiple people she spent Xmas with have tested positive. That woman was immediately sent home but not before she was told to go downstairs and get a test.

they were wearing PPE while in close proximity to each other for the entirety of the day sans lunch in the break room. so we basically pretended that LA was positive last night after she got home and wore masks and she slept downstairs and I didn't see her at all before she left today. we'll keep doing that until we find out how to proceed based on the woman's test results.

weeeeeeeeeeee
bullet dodged. vaccine day tomorrow can't come soon enough.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Glad to hear bronto.

I think my wife is supposed to get it next week at a closed POD before they start vaxxing the general population.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I am having trouble working up the right sympathy for the incoming 41-year-old GOP congressman from Louisiana who died at age 41 with no co-morbidities from Covid after a diagnosis on Dec. 19. a LOT of of pictures of him maskless and maskless events for his campaign and after over the last few months.

Two small kids too. What an asshole.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:59 am I am having trouble working up the right sympathy for the incoming 41-year-old GOP congressman from Louisiana who died at age 41 with no co-morbidities from Covid after a diagnosis on Dec. 19. a LOT of of pictures of him maskless and maskless events for his campaign and after over the last few months.

I think you can feel sympathy for his family and even some sympathy for him yet admit that you're not tied up in knots about it. He could have taken more precautions and took it more seriously and he didn't. Caveat emptor.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

For some good news for a change, Astra-Zeneca’s vaccine had been approved in UK.

My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

brian wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:10 am
tennbengal wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:59 am I am having trouble working up the right sympathy for the incoming 41-year-old GOP congressman from Louisiana who died at age 41 with no co-morbidities from Covid after a diagnosis on Dec. 19. a LOT of of pictures of him maskless and maskless events for his campaign and after over the last few months.

I think you can feel sympathy for his family and even some sympathy for him yet admit that you're not tied up in knots about it. He could have taken more precautions and took it more seriously and he didn't. Caveat emptor.
I mean... I should. But I am a bad person, I guess, because, well, fuck him. He did that to them. Him and his death cult of a party.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

“He should have taken more precautions” is the uncle who went to Christmas and had his mask under his nose. This guy campaigned as a trump aligned Republican, the ones who have enabled so much of this. It’s not the same thing.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

“He died before he got to take office and help kill others for personal gain” is succinct and accurate.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

This asshole. FUCK HIM.

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:55 am “He died before he got to take office and help kill others for personal gain” is succinct and accurate.
A real Moses not quite making it to the promised land parable for our times.