Netflix Suggestions?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Probably late on this, but we watched 'My Octopus Teacher' last night, and it was really good. Even my daughters put their phones away and watched it.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Wathched 2 of the 8 episodes of "Giri/Haji" - an English/Japanese crime thriller last night.

Just loved it.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We watched the remake of 'Rebecca' on Saturday night. And it looked great...with a good cast (Armie Hammer, Kristen Scott Thomas, and Lily James). But wow...was it bad. Stick to original with Laurence Olivier and Joan Fontaine (and directed by Hitchcock).
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:29 am Anybody watch Money Heist? It's a show from Spain dubbed into English. I'm 6 or 7 episodes in, and it is so damned good. A guy builds a team to rob the Royal Mint of Spain. It follows the action as they take the mint and hostages, flashes back to their training, and follows the police negotiator working the case. It's shot more like a movie than a TV show. There are 4 seasons out, one more coming soon.

I thought I heard about the show here, but didn't find anything. Maybe it was Roger Bennett on Men in Blazers talking about it. My father texted saying it's better than Ozark, which is an all-time favorite of his. I wouldn't go that far yet, but he says it kept getting better. Also odd, he asked which female lead I like the most. 4 female main characters, all are sexy, but none traditionally beautiful.
Forgot to follow up on this. I ended up watching all 4 seasons in about 2 weeks. I vowed to switch shows when I got to the end of every season, but it was just too damned good. Didn't watch any other shows during that time. This is right up their with The Wire as my all-time favorite show. It had a couple moments where I thought they went too far, but they always reeled it in. The acting and writing is phenomenal. the fifth and final season is being filmed now. For some reason I thought it was about to be released, but there is no release date set. It just kept getting better every season.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Whizzed through The Queen's Gambit. Pretty good stuff. I really liked it.

But I can't be the only one who thinks Anya Taylor-Joy looks like a praying mantis, right?
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:08 am Whizzed through The Queen's Gambit. Pretty good stuff. I really liked it.

But I can't be the only one who thinks Anya Taylor-Joy looks like a praying mantis, right?
She could bite my head off.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:08 am Whizzed through The Queen's Gambit. Pretty good stuff. I really liked it.

I’ve been high before, I’ve never been “hallucination chess on the ceiling high”.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

bfj wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:38 am

I’ve been high before, I’ve never been “hallucination chess on the ceiling high”.
Some people's brains work in the mediums of logic and movement. Others work in the medium of vomit. It takes a village.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I just watched Netflix’s Shimmer Lake.

Eh.
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:41 pm We watched the remake of 'Rebecca' on Saturday night. And it looked great...with a good cast (Armie Hammer, Kristen Scott Thomas, and Lily James). But wow...was it bad. Stick to original with Laurence Olivier and Joan Fontaine (and directed by Hitchcock).
Good to know. The original old one is excellent.

Also, We greatly enjoyed The Queen’s Gambit
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Death to 2020 actually manages to get some good laughs out of this horseshit year.

Very well done.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:27 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:41 pm We watched the remake of 'Rebecca' on Saturday night. And it looked great...with a good cast (Armie Hammer, Kristen Scott Thomas, and Lily James). But wow...was it bad. Stick to original with Laurence Olivier and Joan Fontaine (and directed by Hitchcock).
Good to know. The original old one is excellent.

Also, We greatly enjoyed The Queen’s Gambit
I watched the first episode of gambit about a month ago with the woman and we were not hooked. Started second today and that was probably the best episode of drama tv I’ve seen this year. So we ended up finishing two more episodes. Not sure where it’s going but digging it now that I got past the dourness of first episode.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Prospect is a refreshingly small sci-fi story (no saving the universe, no huge action set-pieces) with a very gritty, lived in feel. One somewhat gruesome scene which is carried by some fantastic sound design.

Worthy winner of the 2018 SXSW Film Festival’s Adam Yauch Hörnblowér Award.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I just finished Season 2 of After Life. Holy hell what a bleak show. It mixes in just enough comedy to keep you going, but then continually breaks your heart. It's well written and has a lot of great character actors, but man, I wonder what drove Ricky Gervais to make that.
Totally Kafkaesque
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Shirley wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:33 pm I just finished Season 2 of After Life. Holy hell what a bleak show. It mixes in just enough comedy to keep you going, but then continually breaks your heart. It's well written and has a lot of great character actors, but man, I wonder what drove Ricky Gervais to make that.
Yup. If you're feeling a little too happy and want to be reminded of how sad life can get, this is the show for you.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:43 pm
Shirley wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:33 pm I just finished Season 2 of After Life. Holy hell what a bleak show. It mixes in just enough comedy to keep you going, but then continually breaks your heart. It's well written and has a lot of great character actors, but man, I wonder what drove Ricky Gervais to make that.
Yup. If you're feeling a little too happy and want to be reminded of how sad life can get, this is the show for you.
Reading both of your posts, and completely agreeing, makes me wonder if there is something wrong with me for loving the show so much.
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I watched the first season of After Life. Need to fire the second one up.

Anybody have any recommendations for mystery drama/comedies, ala Republic of Doyle? Not a forced comedy, but light, like the show doesn’t take itself too seriously.
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Have you seen Search Party (HBOMax)?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I have not. But after watching the trailer, I do recall seeing commercials for it. I’m looking for something to watch with my dad. He really liked Doyle - reminded him of Rockford.
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

What about something like Bosch?
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:09 pm I watched the first season of After Life. Need to fire the second one up.

Anybody have any recommendations for mystery drama/comedies, ala Republic of Doyle? Not a forced comedy, but light, like the show doesn’t take itself too seriously.
Dead to Me is a lot of fun
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

brian wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:05 pm What about something like Bosch?
My dad’s a book nerd. He says he’s not a fan of Michael Connelly’s writing.

EdRomero wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:30 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:09 pm I watched the first season of After Life. Need to fire the second one up.

Dead to Me is a lot of fun
Apparently he’s seen it. I haven’t though. I’ll check that out when I’m back in MD next week, thanks!
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:22 pm
Update: aaand I’ve talked him into giving the show a shot.
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:46 pm
Season One’s OK but it definitely gets better after that.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

brian wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:47 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:46 pm
Season One’s OK but it definitely gets better after that.
Good to know. I much prefer when shows eventually find their footing than go the Guns-n-Roses route.
Noli Timere Messorem
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Patience?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

rass wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:19 pmPatience?
Ha!

No. I meant that they were the hottest band in the free world since Led Zeppelin and then in 6 years they were in the Where are they now? file.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

So I’ll revisit Bosch when I get back to MD. First couple episodes were meh, and then it got worse.

But we switched up gears to Tin Star (Tim Roth).

Three episodes in. So far...Wow.
Noli Timere Messorem
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I don't think I've ever seen another show that oscillates so frequently between engaging and shark-jumpy as Outlander. (Just got a notification that another season is coming out.)
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:27 pm I don't think I've ever seen another show that oscillates so frequently between engaging and shark-jumpy as Outlander. (Just got a notification that another season is coming out.)
The TV series has followed the books pretty closely, so if there's shark-jumpiness, it's from the books.

And the books are just as smutty as the TV show, if not more.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

That's fair. It does have the feeling of "let's keep adding twists to keep the series going after the initial plot gets resolved"... but I'll still probably watch it.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:43 pm That's fair. It does have the feeling of "let's keep adding twists to keep the series going after the initial plot gets resolved"... but I'll still probably watch it.
Yeah. There's a pretty crazy storyline that the show skipped altogether, too. But there will be plenty of crazy stuff once the Revolutionary War begins (spoilers).

My wife and I are really into it. But I found the stuff that happens while the main couple are living in North Carolina before the War starts to be pretty dull. I think they got through most of it this past season, though.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Watched the first 2 (of 5) episodes of Lupin.

Really good stuff. Loosely based on the Arsene Lupin books, but really updated nicely.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

EdRomero wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:18 am
Pruitt wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:16 pm I don;t care about the critics - I am enjoying the hell out of Disenchantment
Agreed. I think it's great.
Season 3 just came out and I wasn't really excited to start it up again, but I just watched the first episode and it is so good. The fantasy world the artist created is wonderful and not all the jokes hit, but the ones that do are Simpsonesque good.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I wanted to re-watch Arrested Development before watching the "new" episodes. I was getting really confused, and realized I was watching the "remix" version. Apparently they did a different edit on all content they filmed for season 4, made the episodes 22 minutes and made it more like the original series. I watched 4 episodes, and I'm a bit annoyed at the amount of repeating recapping from the original show. I started reading, and it seems the original Season 4 was single character driven and people hated it. I've seen mixed reviews on the remix, some say it made the unwatchable Season 4 almost good, others said it's a pointless waste of time and the original was better. Curious to hear some takes, which should I watch.

On another note, Portia de Rossi had so much plastic surgery between Season 3 and 4 that I had to go to IMDB to see who was playing Lindsay. It's really disturbing, especially when they show scenes from Season 3. Michael Cera looks very different too, but it makes sense considering his age at the time, and they made a joke that the drive from wherever he came from really aged him.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I liked both the original Season 4 and the recut, but they were very different for sure. They couldn't get the whole cast on set to film it the way they did the first three seasons because most of the actors had bigger projects. Cera blew up for a bit. Hale was working on veep. Tambor was working on Transparent. Bateman had a bunch of movies and was probably at least in Ozark development. The others had a number of smaller projects they were doing as well.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I hated the 4th season so much that I never finished it, and honestly it kinda ruined the show for me.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

EdRomero wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:59 am
EdRomero wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:18 am
Pruitt wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:16 pm I don;t care about the critics - I am enjoying the hell out of Disenchantment
Agreed. I think it's great.
Season 3 just came out and I wasn't really excited to start it up again, but I just watched the first episode and it is so good. The fantasy world the artist created is wonderful and not all the jokes hit, but the ones that do are Simpsonesque good.
The best season they've had.

A lot of fun.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I always found Arrested Development to be over-everything’d.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Then again, I found Stranger Things to be stupid. So file my opinion accordingly.
Noli Timere Messorem