The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Re: The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Post by Brontoburglar »

Syb, do you get Santa Fe in Jersey? Had their black IPA on Saturday (it's their seasonal) and it was awesome.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Found this chart. I need this poster sized behind the bar I envision having in my house someday. This is fantastic. The best part is the glass recommendations, with "Solo cup" the the optimal choice for light and American Adjunct beer. And Das Boot for Vienna Lager.

An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote:Syb, do you get Santa Fe in Jersey? Had their black IPA on Saturday (it's their seasonal) and it was awesome.

Never seen it or heard of it, but I'll look. I like black IPAs.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I love Santa Fe Brewing. The Happy Camper IPA is one of my favourite "candy" IPAs. The Black is good as well. Their Java Imperial Stout is fucking candy in a glass and stellar.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I had an Old Speckeled Hen pint last night. I liked it.

Also had a Sam Adams Cold Snap...kind of a cross between summer ale and white christmas.

Last one was a Murphy's Stout. Fine but not as good as Guiness

You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

If you ever have chance mix a Murphy's and a Guinness half and half. I call it the Irishman's Delight.

I recently joined a beer trading group on facebook. It's quite funny that 90% of the people are seeking the same damn thing, and there isn't enough of the Heady Topper or the Hill Farmstead to go around. I've tried HT and had a few HF beers. They are very good, but I don't know if they are worth the frenzy that they are whipping up. There are so many micros out there it's not worth the energy to track down that white elephant.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Old Speckled Hen may be the first English beer I ever tried. I loved it back then, but haven't had one in 15 years. I should grab one, just to see how my tastes have changed. I have to say, I love stouts and hate Guinness. It just doesn't even taste like a stout.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote:Old Speckled Hen may be the first English beer I ever tried. I loved it back then, but haven't had one in 15 years. I should grab one, just to see how my tastes have changed. I have to say, I love stouts and hate Guinness. It just doesn't even taste like a stout.

It gets classified as such becauase it's so much darker probably, but you are right that the flavor profile isn't in line with true stouts.

But I like it.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

What do you mean by "true stout?" Guinness was a "stout" (really a porter) before there was stout.

Stout was applied to porters that had more alcohol, though historically the term has been applied interchangeably.

Guinness also has many variations, the bottled and draught (can and bar) are different beers. There is also the Foreign Export stout which has an ABV more in line with American styles (7.5 rather then the 4.1 for draught.)
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Rush2112 wrote:What do you mean by "true stout?" Guinness was a "stout" (really a porter) before there was stout.

Stout was applied to porters that had more alcohol, though historically the term has been applied interchangeably.

Guinness also has many variations, the bottled and draught (can and bar) are different beers. There is also the Foreign Export stout which has an ABV more in line with American styles (7.5 rather then the 4.1 for draught.)
Well, maybe Im using the term incorrectly, but it isn't as heavy as a lot of other beers that call themselves stouts.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

AB_skin_test wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:What do you mean by "true stout?" Guinness was a "stout" (really a porter) before there was stout.

Well, maybe Im using the term incorrectly, but it isn't as heavy as a lot of other beers that call themselves stouts.
What I mean by true stout is a stout that I like. I know it is a true stout, and that there are multiple categories of stout (imperial, dry/Irish, oatmeal, milk...)
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

AB_skin_test wrote:
Well the style has evolved over the past 200 plus years. American stouts tend to be much heavier in ABV and malt profile. I'm glad that a few stellar milk stouts and dryer stouts have come about in the micros. Previously the majority of American stouts had a burnt malt taste to them and they typically has the same flavour profile.

Today Guinness is more inline with porters, though to be really historically accurate we don't know if it's made mixing old and new beer (there is one British brewery that makes porter in the true history form.)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:
Well the style has evolved over the past 200 plus years. American stouts tend to be much heavier in ABV and malt profile. I'm glad that a few stellar milk stouts and dryer stouts have come about in the micros. Previously the majority of American stouts had a burnt malt taste to them and they typically has the same flavour profile.

Today Guinness is more inline with porters, though to be really historically accurate we don't know if it's made mixing old and new beer (there is one British brewery that makes porter in the true history form.)

Flag Porter? This beer was recreated by scientists who studied recovered porter from a ship that sank in 1825. The beer still had living yeast, so they were able to cultivate the yeast and make the beer out of the same yeast used in 1825. I bought it once. Not bad, cool for the uniqueness and history behind the beer, but I wasn't a big fan.

-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I can't remember the brewery, I read about it in The Complete Beer Course. Thought I had put in my Untappd wish list, but I wasn't successful in finding it.

A quick google gave me Tesco Porter, but that's from Scotland. HMMM
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Oh mercy, this is powerful stuff!

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Frank Herbert Reviews Craft Beers for His Brew Blog
Appendix II: Terminology of the Imperial Pale Ales

Quali, Beardmen - The once-great brewhouse of Quali was torn apart by internal intrigues. Although they produce no new beers, they continue on as a training center for barbacks, marked by their thick beards and their hypno-conditioning to create machine-like minds. The side effect of the conditioning is that they are huge dickheads if you try to order a macrobrew.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Brontoburglar wrote:Syb, do you get Santa Fe in Jersey? Had their black IPA on Saturday (it's their seasonal) and it was awesome.

Have you tried the Happy Camper? It's my go to "candy" IPA.
Last edited by Rush2112 on Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Got a blue moon sampler pack. Short straw red is solid. Roundr pale decent. Gingerbread good for a beer after dinner.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

These arent true microbrews of course but they are new beers to me.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

AB_skin_test wrote:These arent true microbrews of course but they are new beers to me.
They are good starter craft beers IMHO. My problem is that they basically take the same beer and flavour it differently. All Belgian Wits when you boil it down. They do have very good beer at the Sand Lot Brewery at Coors Field (it where they started.)

Sort of interesting that rather then run other craft beers through the Blue Moon name Coors has AC Golden as their craft wing. They have a very meh lager that is brewed only with Colorado ingredients called Native and then some really tasty (and expensive) beers like an Apricot Sour, a Imperial Stout, etc. etc.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian wrote:Found this chart. I need this poster sized behind the bar I envision having in my house someday. This is fantastic. The best part is the glass recommendations, with "Solo cup" the the optimal choice for light and American Adjunct beer. And Das Boot for Vienna Lager.

The same folks have done a map showing all 2500+ breweries.

Zoomable here.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The beer guy here at work picked up a six pack of this:

It smells like you think it would, though if you hadn't told me about the peanut butter I may not have noticed it as it's not something I expect from/in beer. It's OK. Pretty sweet. I do like the name.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

rass wrote:The beer guy here at work picked up a six pack of this:

It smells like you think it would, though if you hadn't told me about the peanut butter I may not have noticed it as it's not something I expect from/in beer. It's OK. Pretty sweet. I do like the name.
It's ok. The name gets it a lot of love.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Drinking NJ's Flying Fish Hop fish IPA.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

drinking kentucky's knob creek single barrel 120 proof bourbon. which is not a craft beer.

i've just noticed my mistake.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

cerrano wrote:drinking kentucky's knob creek single barrel 120 proof bourbon. which is not a craft beer.

Is school cancelled yet? If so, no problem.

/bitemesyb
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

rass wrote:
cerrano wrote:drinking kentucky's knob creek single barrel 120 proof bourbon. which is not a craft beer.

Is school cancelled yet? If so, no problem.

/bitemesyb
not yet. but it will be.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

For the IPA fans...

If you can get it, Sixpoint Hi-Res is fucking outstanding.
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

Heard about Hi Res through a somewhat local place (Capone's) that emails their list of beers available. This place typically gets a lot of very good stuff.

Been looking for cans at distributors. Might have to take a growler there to see if they have any left.

Recently found Lagunitas Sucks. Solid brew. Picked up two bottles of Hop Slam at the local bottle shop - they had a limit on purchases. I definitely liked Hop Slam but it was one of those deals where the hype/anticipation can't be lived up to.

Nugget Nectar was in the Super Bowl mix last night.
oh shit...
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

TTB, you and I are drinking alike.

I have a sixer of Sucks in the fridge. I'm planning on picking up Nectar this week(NJ release is 1st week of Feb).

I've had Hop Slam before. It is good, but not my favorite. It's pretty harsh with that much hop punch. Couple of years ago's batch tasted like a pine cone.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

devilfluff wrote:For the IPA fans...

If you can get it, Sixpoint Hi-Res is fucking outstanding.

Interesting, haven't seen or heard of it. I love Resin, their DIPA, so I will have to give this a try.

Thanks to you and TTB for the heads up on the Nugget Nectar release. If my local stores are sold out, I'll have to pound on Mr. D's door, because I am sure he is hoarding.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Got one the Great Divide Brewer's Picks to bring over to the SB party yesterday. 12 beer 'assortment' which included 3 Titans (IPA), Lasso (IPA), Orabelle (Belgian ) and Collete (Belgian Farmhouse.)

If you like hops or Belgian yeasts you're ok, but otherwise you're fucked.
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

Blue Point Brewery has been sold to Anheuser-Busch. AB claims they'll preserve the "heritage and innovation of the brands", but cynical me thinks they're gonna water that shit down for mass consumption.
Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three Orange Whips!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

ZMan wrote:Blue Point Brewery has been sold to Anheuser-Busch. AB claims they'll preserve the "heritage and innovation of the brands", but cynical me thinks they're gonna water that shit down for mass consumption.
They've not changed much with Goose Island, and the hipsters still go crazy over the Bourbon County line so it may be just distribution will get bigger.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much when craft breweries get bought out. Like Rush said, a Goose Island today is the same as one you would have had 10-15 years ago. It's just easier to get all over the country.

I don't really know what the rationale is for A-B though. I get making some strategic investments in some successful micros but at a certain point you just start cannibalizing yourself.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote:
ZMan wrote:Blue Point Brewery has been sold to Anheuser-Busch. AB claims they'll preserve the "heritage and innovation of the brands", but cynical me thinks they're gonna water that shit down for mass consumption.
They've not changed much with Goose Island, and the hipsters still go crazy over the Bourbon County line so it may be just distribution will get bigger.

Bourbon County Stout is the best beer I ever had. Pepe Nero was OK, but not great. According to my Facebook feed, Goose Island dropped off since they were purchased, but I only had those two after they were acquired. I've tried a couple of Blue Point beers, and didn't like them, so I'm not upset about this. When A-B purchased the brewery that made Mackeson Milk stout, they completely destroyed my then favorite beer. I didn't realize they purchased it, and when I grabbed a sixer after many years, I was shocked that I no longer liked the beer, then read about A-B. They exchanged the ingredients for much cheaper crap and began brewing it in macro vats. They eventually stopped making it because sales went down so far. I get the impression that this is the norm. They try to cut production costs at the sake of quality. I hate the trend of major corps buying up all their competition and leaving us with cheap, mass produced crap.
-Pruitt
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

Fortunately Blue Point is not creating top level offerings. They'll stay at the same mid-level quality they've always been, but get on more bar/restaurant taps.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Don't take my word for it.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

A/B has "invested" in craft brew for years. A company called Craft Brew Alliance (A/B owns 33 % of the company) buys these craft breweries and then distributes them across the country. I believe they take the recipe, bottle at A/B plants around the U.S., bottle, market, and distribute using the A/B infrastructure. The Craft Brew Alliance was started when Red Hook and Widmer merged (They also own Kona).

There was a noticeable change when Red Hook took investment from A/B --which was well before they did the Craft Brew Alliance.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Not a craft beer, but figured I'd post this for J-Lo, Johnnie and whomever else likes this dreck. 13 things you didn't know about Yuengling

Again, I can't comprehend why this beer gets so much love. Some of the comments make me want to throttle people. "The only American made beer I will ever buy." Holy fuck, there are so many amazing US beers! Open your fucking mind! "They need to bring this to the West Coast." Sweet Jebus, the West Coast is so flooded with the greatest beers in the world! I am tempted to move to California or Oregon to get my hands on them, and you want Yuengling?

Sorry to beer snob out like that
-Pruitt