Swamp Cooking Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by govmentchedda »

GoodKarma wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:02 pm
BSF21 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:16 am Big fan of the cast iron dear and finish in a hot oven but lately I’ve been going to the stovetop sear and baste with aromatics. Love the results but haven’t done a big thick ribeye yet. This is all less than 1 inch cheap cuts.
My challenge has always been smoke. Even after letting the beef sit out and patting it dry with a paper towel I still get a shitload of smoke...any suggestions?

I've thrown some butter on after the sear but before the oven so I realize that's part of it but I've gotten smoke from just the meat and the skillet.
I don't know how anyone can do a cast iron sear/brown butter method with anything indoors. Maybe my exhaust fan is just a piece of shit, but I can't even do brown butter method with chicken without setting of the smoke alarm.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:13 pm
BSF21 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:16 am Big fan of the cast iron dear and finish in a hot oven but lately I’ve been going to the stovetop sear and baste with aromatics. Love the results but haven’t done a big thick ribeye yet. This is all less than 1 inch cheap cuts.
My challenge has always been smoke. Even after letting the beef sit out and patting it dry with a paper towel I still get a shitload of smoke...any suggestions?

I've thrown some butter on after the sear but before the oven so I realize that's part of it but I've gotten smoke from just the meat and the skillet.
I don't know how anyone can do a cast iron sear/brown butter method with anything indoors. Maybe my exhaust fan is just a piece of shit, but I can't even do brown butter method with chicken without setting of the smoke alarm.
My exhaust hood is super powerful. I pan sear with a cast iron skillet, and rarely need to go beyond the low setting. I used medium twice when I forgot to put the fan on prior to the smoke starting. Never used the high setting, but the medium is so loud, I hope I never need high.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:13 pmI don't know how anyone can do a cast iron sear/brown butter method with anything indoors. Maybe my exhaust fan is just a piece of shit, but I can't even do brown butter method with chicken without setting of the smoke alarm.
I lost the range hood battle, but do you (1) have the kitchen specific alarm and (2) turn the fan on full blast before you start heating the pan? I've noticed if I do the latter, I'm good but if I forget, there's no recovering.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

2 things.

1) it is a smoky process. I try to get a cross vent going when the steak is going to hit the pan and run the microwave vent (which doesn't do shit) at full tilt

2) Use a high heat oil. Canola at the minimum. Avocado, Grapeseed, or Peanut are better as their smoke point is higher. I normally sear it off on the oil and then drop the heat to just below ripping when I add butter and aromatics to baste. Butter will do everything but burst into flames at 450+
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:52 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:13 pmI don't know how anyone can do a cast iron sear/brown butter method with anything indoors. Maybe my exhaust fan is just a piece of shit, but I can't even do brown butter method with chicken without setting of the smoke alarm.
I lost the range hood battle, but do you (1) have the kitchen specific alarm and (2) turn the fan on full blast before you start heating the pan? I've noticed if I do the latter, I'm good but if I forget, there's no recovering.
Our exhaust is one of those under the microwave things, and I don't think it could blow out a birthday candle if its fan were reversed. Our smoke alarm is close enough to the stove that it definitely works. It's also linked to all the other smoke alarms in the house, so it's more than just one of them going off, it's a whole house full of extremely loud beeping and the children run around squawking in addition to the electrical generated noise.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

BSF21 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:10 pm

2 things.

1) it is a smoky process. I try to get a cross vent going when the steak is going to hit the pan and run the microwave vent (which doesn't do shit) at full tilt

2) Use a high heat oil. Canola at the minimum. Avocado, Grapeseed, or Peanut are better as their smoke point is higher. I normally sear it off on the oil and then drop the heat to just below ripping when I add butter and aromatics to baste. Butter will do everything but burst into flames at 450+
Yeah...I have a whole house fan and ended up having to fire that up for a few minutes just to clear out the house and be able to see again.

Funny part is my smoke alarms never went off. It's either great that they are smart enough to know it's not a real fire or I'm in trouble if there is a real fire.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

GoodKarma wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:29 pm

2 things.

Yeah...I have a whole house fan and ended up having to fire that up for a few minutes just to clear out the house and be able to see again.

Funny part is my smoke alarms never went off. It's either great that they are smart enough to know it's not a real fire or I'm in trouble if there is a real fire.
You might wanna check them detectors. Mine goes off even when its not super hazy inside and its a room away.

GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

BSF21 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:30 pm

2 things.

You might wanna check them detectors. Mine goes off even when its not super hazy inside and its a room away.
Funny story about that. Thanksgiving week all of our alarms (like Chedda they are all hard wired together) went off at 3am which obviously woke us up and sent us into a panic trying to shut them down which pushing/holding the button didn't seem to work so I had to pull them all down and disconnect...the whole thing took way longer than necessary. Funniest part of the evening: last thing we did was check to see if there was an actual fire.

Was going to throw this in the Learn Something Everyday thread...that was the night that I learned that hard-wired smoke detectors need to be replaced every 10 years or so (ours were 15 years old). I had no idea. Guess I never stayed in house long enough to have to deal with it.
What am I, 12?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I'd suggest lighting a real fire and seeing what happens.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:14 pm Go get a sous vide.
Well, this is strange. Boss gifted me a sous vide for christmas. So I guess I'm making a steak this afternoon to try it...
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

It’s the best. Just hit a little under your temp then sear hard on both sides to finish.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

GoodKarma wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:58 pm
cerrano wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:44 pm Got a rib roast for Xmas for me and my better half. I’ve done the prime rib a few ways but what is y’all’s go to rub and recipe?
The rub I use is cocoa powder, paprika and ancho chili powder. Use a couple tbsp of cocoa powder and a couple tsp each of the ancho and paprika. I don’t really have a recipe other than tying the roast and brown at 500 for 15 minutes then going to a lower heat for the cooking...usually 325 for ~10 minutes per pound.
That sounds amazing. Unfortunately, when it comes to spices, Mrs. Cerrano is really freaking picky so when I brought it up to her she was a hard no. (She’s weird, but cute). I’m just doing salt and pepper and Kenji’s reverse sear method. Thanks, though.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Is this ceranno's spicier cousin?

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:32 am It’s the best. Just hit a little under your temp then sear hard on both sides to finish.
It’s in the bag. And the water. The kit I was gifted has a huge tub to use as well but it looks like you can do it in a regular pot? This was a lot of water for a trial run.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I used my biggest Dutch oven for a year or two but the bucket really is much better for spacing.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Well that’s the best steak I’ve ever made at home. And I just got a cut from the Kroger case not Whole Foods where I usually buy steaks.
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

BSF21 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:24 pm Is this ceranno's spicier cousin?

Si senor. Muy caliente.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Just found the english muffin bread dough I'd set out to rise five days ago.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:43 pm Could make a meal out of Italian bread and tomato paste. Which is an issue when I try to spend the entire afternoon making a bolognese and have leftover tomato paste and a nice loaf of bread just sitting there every time I come upstairs to stir.
bump...
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Batch #2 of Juansauce arrived just in time for Christmas! This one's color is a little more yellow than the last which had a nice orange/salmon color to it. Can't wait to dive in. Thanks, bud!
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

Got some naked wings to grill later and half of them are going to be typical Buffalo for the Mrs. Want to do something different with the other half and wanted to know if any of you swamp chefs have a go to rub or sauce I can steal from.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:32 pm Batch #2 of Juansauce arrived just in time for Christmas! This one's color is a little more yellow than the last which had a nice orange/salmon color to it. Can't wait to dive in. Thanks, bud!
as i recall that batch had pineapples instead of peaches. and more ghost than habaneros
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

It's definitely a little hotter, but still very delicious.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

A_B wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:22 pm Well that’s the best steak I’ve ever made at home. And I just got a cut from the Kroger case not Whole Foods where I usually buy steaks.
Another one in the tub for lunch. Weird to have to wait a couple of hours for a steak, but it was worth it last time. And also strange to be running the device from my phone. Kinda neat though.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Throwing it out there...ideas for NYE dinner for 2?

Don't say Hopping John...I made something with black eyed peas a couple of nights ago.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Who cares about tradition. Just make what the lady likes.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Steaks out of the sous vide.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:35 pm Who cares about tradition. Just make what the lady likes.
I'm hoping they finish my patio this afternoon, and I can start a NYE tradition of grilling and eating outside. Thanks, global warming! And thanks to my wife for having the foresight to buy a heat lamp in the middle of the summer.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:40 am Steaks out of the sous vide.
Don't have a sous vide machine. We do steaks the old-fashioned way...on the grill.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Made a chicken pot pie based on the discussion in the food road trip thread. Used a recipe from one of my grandmothers for the crust. Came out pretty, and tastes pretty great.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Taught my daughter how to make homemade pretzels and beer cheese today. Delicious. Feel like there is an old bay angle in the beer cheese I need to experiment with.

Only downside, she would not let me play polka and umpalumpa music while making it.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Or on the pretzels themselves???
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

rass wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:20 pm Or on the pretzels themselves???
I think the answer is yes to both.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I use a little flour to thicken chili, just sprinkle it over the veggies and stuff to cook off before adding the liquid. I had it sitting in a 1/2 cup just to sprinkle some in but got distracted by the puppy and stopped thinking and dumped it all in. I've already transferred pots to clear out the flour that cooked itself to the bottom of the pot but this could be a real loss.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Don’t fry over milled spelt.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I made myself a peanut butter and blueberry preserves sammich tonight. Good comfort food for the soul.
Noli Timere Messorem
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:08 pm Taught my daughter how to make homemade pretzels and beer cheese today. Delicious. Feel like there is an old bay angle in the beer cheese I need to experiment with.

Only downside, she would not let me play polka and umpalumpa music while making it.
You mind sharing the beer cheese recipe? I’m always looking for a good one.
What am I, 12?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:08 pm Taught my daughter how to make homemade pretzels and beer cheese today. Delicious. Feel like there is an old bay angle in the beer cheese I need to experiment with.

At least you got to wear your lederhosen.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:14 pm Don’t fry over milled spelt.
The boy is good at this
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian