Ridiculous Things You Read On Facebook

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Ridiculous Things You Read On Facebook

Post by sancarlos »

Friend of sancarlos posted: What happened in our capital is unacceptable and the people involved should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. I also felt the same way about EVERY rioter (no not peaceful protestors) over the past few years. You cannot just claim disgust and demand justice when it’s the other side doing horrible things. This makes you a massive hypocrite even if you are spot on in your current analysis. I was disgusted with the many riots and take overs of city streets before and just as disgusted (If not more) with what happened yesterday.

We have different opinions but let’s stop trying to alienate each other. The actions of a few unhinged right wingers don’t reflect the feelings of the overwhelming majority of Republicans just like the actions of crazy leftist rioters didn’t reflect the values of most Democrats.

I’m no Trump supporter (did not vote for him either time) but I also left the Democratic Party in early 2020 as I am really more of a centrist. The election is over , Trump lost and as was said last time around elections have consequences. However the actions of those in power also have consequences. Democrats the ball is in your court. Please do not govern out of revenge but try to do what is best for our Union.

Be safe out there my friends!

sancarlos responded: Agree, J. But let’s not make false equivalencies. This was an attack on the US capitol. A lot different than breaking a window at Walgreens.

Some other guy posted: Hi Pat - as an attendee I will tell you it was a SMALL minority and with at least one known antifa operative already released by DC police...

sancarlos responded: Bullshit!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Yeah, I'd say that an attack on the Capitol is different from vandalizing or looting a Walgreen's ... but also, the folks attacking the Capitol were acting at the incitement of Trump and the GOP establishment, while the folks attacking a Walgreen's were not acting at the incitement of Biden or the Democrats, or based on a Big Lie being promoted by Biden and the Dems.

Not to mention the frenzied mob violence against the cop in that video and also apparently Brian Sicknick.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

"as an attendee"

why do these people seem hellbent on broadcasting their presence?
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

It's not Facebook but's in the same vein, and I think I've mentioned it before. A few of us old volleyball dads still keep up in a text chain and earlier year one of them went off about covid, saying its a hoax and trump was right and trump would win again. He's the one that ended up with covid of course (along with the other conservative leaning dad in the group, actually) and went on a rant then left all the group message. He went off again this week, and it just happened to be during the UK game where Bama kicked the shit out of us so I was already pissed off. I countered every one of his point (swears the whole election was rigged, keeps touting the late votes being fake, dead people voting,e tc.) with actual facts. Nothing pisses these people off more than incontrovertible facts.

Anyway, he posted some this again yesterday and it happened to be right as the impeachment vote was happening. He's saying he's proud to be the gun slinging god fearing red blooded conservative and Trump is gonna win and Biden will never be president. Of course I respond once the vote is over saying, "well, I'll had donny this, he's twice any other president when it comes to impeachment." He doesn't respond, then last night after I've gone to bed he posts these long texts about he'll be proven to be right and that he just heard about the second impeachment and "you people will be sorry" when he's proven right. Then he leaves all the group texts again.

These red blooded gun toters sure can be babies.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:28 pm It's not Facebook but's in the same vein, and I think I've mentioned it before. A few of us old volleyball dads still keep up in a text chain and earlier year one of them went off about covid, saying its a hoax and trump was right and trump would win again. He's the one that ended up with covid of course (along with the other conservative leaning dad in the group, actually) and went on a rant then left all the group message. He went off again this week, and it just happened to be during the UK game where Bama kicked the shit out of us so I was already pissed off. I countered every one of his point (swears the whole election was rigged, keeps touting the late votes being fake, dead people voting,e tc.) with actual facts. Nothing pisses these people off more than incontrovertible facts.

Anyway, he posted some this again yesterday and it happened to be right as the impeachment vote was happening. He's saying he's proud to be the gun slinging god fearing red blooded conservative and Trump is gonna win and Biden will never be president. Of course I respond once the vote is over saying, "well, I'll had donny this, he's twice any other president when it comes to impeachment." He doesn't respond, then last night after I've gone to bed he posts these long texts about he'll be proven to be right and that he just heard about the second impeachment and "you people will be sorry" when he's proven right. Then he leaves all the group texts again.

These red blooded gun toters sure can be babies.
People like this were so angry when Obama said they cling to their guns and religion, yet they love to point out that they are God-fearing gun toting people as a mark of righteousness.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Volleyball Dads would be a great indie band name.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:25 pm Volleyball Dads would be a great indie band name.
But maybe "Militant Volleyball Dads"...
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Now you're getting more punk.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, one of the "funniest" aspects of this burgeoning breed of conservatives is how they are constantly talking about snowflakes and libs being triggered.

Like... Do you even hear yourself? It's pretty amazing.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

In the last 4.5 years or so, what hasn't either been hypocrisy or straight-up projection?
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I mean... most right wing comments (that I see in my sheltered online presence at least) go ad hominem to some extent right off the bat. Not sure it's so much about the meaning of the insults but rather the hurling of them that's the point. If there was logic involved they wouldn't be where they stand in the first place.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Volleyball Dad Coup
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

GIVE ME LIBERO OR GIVE ME DEATH
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:45 pm GIVE ME LIBERO OR GIVE ME DEATH
Oh that's good.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:38 pm In the last 24.5 years or so, what hasn't either been hypocrisy or straight-up projection?
FIFY.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

image.png
image.png (128.54 KiB) Viewed 1390 times
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Is The Weeknd Muslim?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

brian wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:00 pm Is The Weeknd Muslim?
Um, Ethiopian Orthodox apparently?
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Reaper wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:04 pm
brian wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:00 pm Is The Weeknd Muslim?
Um, Ethiopian Orthodox apparently?
I think that counts as Christian. Checkmate.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

My brother-in-law has been on a roll lately. For example:

Yeah...this in my B-I-L who was never able to hold down a steady job (he got fired from the night shift at 7-11 once!) and has been on permanent disability for about 15 years (for a genetic back issue...never mind that he's about 150lbs overweight).

Time to put him back on mute.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Hey...and my niece (my loser BIL's daughter) decided to get in on the fun:

Classic...the bad photoshop, the made up quote, and 'privileged' spelled incorrectly...
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Seeing this bumped reminded me that my former military friend that's a Libertarian who loves T**** and guns commented on a post from University of Colorado, Colorado Springs that they'll lose his enrollment AS A VETERAN because all state schools are requiring the vaccine.

His reasoning? He already had COVID and since it didn't affect him much he doesn't need the vaccine. He's also a VETERAN who's had plenty of vaccines already and he doesn't feel like getting another one.

My favorite response was "You can just take classes online..."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

What's T****?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jerloma wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:46 amWhat's T****?
You have probably heard of him.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Oh! Duh.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Johnnie wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:34 am Seeing this bumped reminded me that my former military friend that's a Libertarian who loves T**** and guns commented on a post from University of Colorado, Colorado Springs that they'll lose his enrollment AS A VETERAN because all state schools are requiring the vaccine.

His reasoning? He already had COVID and since it didn't affect him much he doesn't need the vaccine. He's also a VETERAN who's had plenty of vaccines already and he doesn't feel like getting another one.

My favorite response was "You can just take classes online..."
Your friend just needs to pull himself up by his bootstraps.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I probably won't ever delete it fully, but having it off my phone has done wonders for my attitude in the mornings.
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

brian wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:48 am
I'll admit that I thought he meant Tits.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

testuser2 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:43 am
brian wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:48 am
I'll admit that I thought he meant Tits.
Me too and I'm like "Why the fuck is Johnnie censoring tits?"
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

It's been raining here a week and one of my Trump supporter friends posted "Never rained this much when Trump was in office" and I just responded with a gif of Steve Harvey.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:00 am It's been raining here a week and one of my Trump supporter friends posted "Never rained this much when Trump was in office" and I just responded with a gif of Steve Harvey.
Was just discussing in a group text about how little rain we've had of late. It's been dry and breezy, which is very much not Tampa weather. Looks like just after Memorial Day the regular afternoon showers season will begin.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

A woman I went to HS with posted something the other day complaining about how a Republican who is running against Ilhan Omar had been banned from Twitter (Ilhan Omar's opponent banned from Twitter after suggesting congresswoman should be hanged).
Danielle Stella, a candidate hoping to challenge Omar for her Minnesota seat in the 2020 election, tweeted earlier this week, "If it is proven @IlhanMN passed sensitive info to Iran, she should be tried for #treason and hanged."

The post that followed included a crude drawing of a body hanging from gallows with a link to a right-wing website on her belief that Omar should be hanged if a conspiracy that Omar provided sensitive intelligence to Qatar and Iran were true.

NBC News has found no evidence that support this claim, but Stella is also a known purveyor of the far-right fringe QAnon conspiracy theory.
Her post was complaining that Stella was being banned, but the leader of Hamas wasn't.

I didn't take the bait.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:42 am
Giff wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:00 am It's been raining here a week and one of my Trump supporter friends posted "Never rained this much when Trump was in office" and I just responded with a gif of Steve Harvey.
Was just discussing in a group text about how little rain we've had of late. It's been dry and breezy, which is very much not Tampa weather. Looks like just after Memorial Day the regular afternoon showers season will begin.
My point was Hurricane Harvey was literally the worst flood in Houston history and took place in 2017.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:59 am
govmentchedda wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:42 am
My point was Hurricane Harvey was literally the worst flood in Houston history and took place in 2017.
Chedda was just trying to say he's OK, man!
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

"Yes, Biden actually controls the weather. And he's causing it to rain specifically where you live in order to ___________________."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 12:20 pm "Yes, Biden actually controls the weather. And he's causing it to rain specifically where you live in order to ___________________."
Own the MAGAts?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I made a comment on a Facebook story by Sports Illustrated about football players refusing the vaccine...saying 'I can think of over 600,000 reasons to get vaccinated'.

Wow...the responses. One guy even posted a link to a story on HotAir (Michelle Malkin's former website) about some nursing home in Texas giving people hydroxychloroquine.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Dave, people are just fucking stupid.

I made a comment on an Instagram video the other day where I simply said "I know it's not an actual gun, but....trigger discipline" because the dude's skit was something goofy and it involved him with a gun but his finger was on the trigger.

Like, he's the type of person that aligns with progressive stuff (like me!), but when you are handling a gun handle it properly. Otherwise when you eventually make a post or comment about gun violence you look like an idiot.

He responded with "it's just a skit! Relax!" Cool, sidestep the point completely. Fuck me, ok.