Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, DaveInSeattle, rass

Post Reply
User avatar
BSF21
The Dude
Posts: 5031
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:08 pm
Location: Playing one off the Monster

Re: Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Post by BSF21 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:31 am

HaulCitgo wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:27 am
Confirmed because CNN and the new admistration that wants to deflect says it? Or was it the infamous "sources" that they cite. Come on dog. You realize CNN is as much a lefty mouthpiece as Fox is right.
tennbengal wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:17 am
We all knew this but...now confirmed. For fuckssake.

So journalists have to name all their sources now? Does that seem like a productive way to get accurate information in the future?

I've got no love for CNN but you can't discount an article because it sites "sources".
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 23537
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: El lugar de ser
Contact:

Re: Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Post by brian » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:35 am

So Occam's Razor here is that...the Trump administration was actually competent?

OK, dude.

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 21743
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Post by mister d » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:36 am

HaulCitgo wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:27 am
You realize CNN is as much a lefty mouthpiece as Fox is right.
Man, its so nice to be back in 2015.
Steve of phpBB wrote:What are they going to do, though. Storm Congress? The Department of Justice building?

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 15242
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Post by rass » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:36 am

Yeah, I thought this was more or less confirmed by "righty" sources when the prior admin repeatedly said it was up to the states to figure this shit out?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

tennbengal
The Dude
Posts: 8236
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Re: Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Post by tennbengal » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:42 am

HaulCitgo wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:27 am
Confirmed because CNN and the new admistration that wants to deflect says it? Or was it the infamous "sources" that they cite. Come on dog. You realize CNN is as much a lefty mouthpiece as Fox is right.
tennbengal wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:17 am
We all knew this but...now confirmed. For fuckssake.

You are kidding, right?

tennbengal
The Dude
Posts: 8236
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Re: Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Post by tennbengal » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:43 am

rass wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:36 am
Yeah, I thought this was more or less confirmed by "righty" sources when the prior admin repeatedly said it was up to the states to figure this shit out?
I mean. Yeah. That.

HaulCitgo
Donny
Posts: 2457
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:07 pm

Re: Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Post by HaulCitgo » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:43 am

Not saying he isnt right just that CNN is shit and when your article header actually says "sources" you know it sucks.

tennbengal
The Dude
Posts: 8236
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Re: Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Post by tennbengal » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:44 am

brian wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:35 am
So Occam's Razor here is that...the Trump administration was actually competent?

OK, dude.
It's true. There was actually a tremendous plan that was totally being carried out flawlessly and the incoming Biden admin refused to meet with the Trump people and then on inauguration day threw that plan away and then ran to noted (checks notes) lefty outlet Rick Santorum employing CNN to feed a false narrative. Sure, sure. That all tracks.

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 17857
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Post by A_B » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:47 am

HaulCitgo wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:43 am
Not saying he isnt right just that CNN is shit and when your article header actually says "sources" you know it sucks.
Yeah I think there's a journalism law that states that you have to reveal names of sources to be legit. It's called the Deepthroat Law.
This "Whoa, Nelly" is brought to you by Nelly's Organic candy bars. Tastes like the good stuff, without the bad stuff. Whoa, Nelly!

HaulCitgo
Donny
Posts: 2457
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:07 pm

Re: Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Post by HaulCitgo » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:53 am

Then dont cite to them as if you are identifying them. Or just say whatever it is you want to say without trying to lend credibility by referencing "sources."

User avatar
Giff
The Dude
Posts: 6972
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Post by Giff » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:54 am

Yeah, journalism! Take that!
Muh.

User avatar
govmentchedda
The Dude
Posts: 8917
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Re: Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Post by govmentchedda » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:54 am

Such a weird hill to die on re: sources.
I took a two hour nap and cried during parks and Rec. it was awesome and terrifying.

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 15242
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Post by rass » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:57 am

govmentchedda wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:54 am
Such a weird hill to die on re: sources.
Such a weird story to take CNN (or TB) to task on.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

HaulCitgo
Donny
Posts: 2457
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:07 pm

Re: Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Post by HaulCitgo » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:58 am

No death, just discussion. I dont see how the source isnt the most important thing as to bias. What if the source is intersted? What if the source has no knowledge. You dont know how to interpret the quote if you dont know who is saying it and CNN has no credibility left for me to trust them.

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 21743
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Post by mister d » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:00 am

HaulCitgo wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:58 am
No death, just discussion. I dont see how the source isnt the most important thing as to bias. What if the source is intersted? What if the source has no knowledge. You dont know how to interpret the quote if you dont know who is saying it and CNN has no credibility left for me to trust them.
Isn't that where you personally decide whether or not to trust the reporting entity?
Steve of phpBB wrote:What are they going to do, though. Storm Congress? The Department of Justice building?

User avatar
BSF21
The Dude
Posts: 5031
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:08 pm
Location: Playing one off the Monster

Re: Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Post by BSF21 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:03 am

HaulCitgo wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:58 am
No death, just discussion. I dont see how the source isnt the most important thing as to bias.
What if the source is intersted?
Then you cite that within your story
What if the source has no knowledge.
Then they're not your source. You'd be a pretty shitty journalist if you couldn't sus that out
You dont know how to interpret the quote if you dont know who is saying it and CNN has no credibility left for me to trust them.
So any reporter that works under a CNN byline is a plant? You know CNN is not an actual reporter right?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."

User avatar
Johnny Carwash
The Dude
Posts: 5251
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:57 am
Location: Land of 10,000 Sununus

Re: Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Post by Johnny Carwash » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:07 am

Bob Woodward wrote:The idea that reporters should name their sources is way off the mark. Felt like that was universally understood.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

User avatar
The Sybian
The Dude
Posts: 13466
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
Location: Working in the Crap Part of Jersey

Re: Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Post by The Sybian » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:07 am

HaulCitgo wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:27 am
Confirmed because CNN and the new admistration that wants to deflect says it? Or was it the infamous "sources" that they cite. Come on dog. You realize CNN is as much a lefty mouthpiece as Fox is right.

I get your point, and a Biden staffer telling something to CNN doesn't make it a fact, but the false equivalency between Fox and CNN drives me nuts. Yes, CNN has Liberal bias, but they aren't anything close to a division of the Dem Party the way Fox is to the GOP. Fox actively works with the GOP in strategizing, and pushing agendas and talking points across their shows. You often see GOP leaders and Fox pundits reading verbatim the same statements. Trump took orders from FoxNews, and Hannity was essential a member of the Admin. This was all by design 20 years before Fox changed its name from GOP TV. GOP leaders and politicians freely switch between jobs at Fox and going back into politics or Party leadership positions. There are no journalistic restrictions or morals at Fox, just straight propaganda. I don't have the time to get into this, but there is an enormous gulf between what Fox does for the GOP and CNN for Dems.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

tennbengal
The Dude
Posts: 8236
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Re: Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Post by tennbengal » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:09 am

Is Citgo seriously saying there WAS a plan from the Trump WH for vaccine distribution? Because...holy shit. I would have thought confirmation of what we can all pretty much see with our own eyes wouldn't have been controversial.

HaulCitgo
Donny
Posts: 2457
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:07 pm

Re: Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Post by HaulCitgo » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:13 am

Dunno about CNN and Fox. Fox has been at it longer and does it better but very similar just on opposite sides. Tons of opinion. Low on actual news. Guess this hits home cause ive seen it shift over the past 25 years or so as they went from ATL - NYC. Very definite corporate strategy.

User avatar
EnochRoot
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3418
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Post by EnochRoot » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:16 am

HaulCitgo wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:27 am
Confirmed because CNN and the new admistration that wants to deflect says it? Or was it the infamous "sources" that they cite. Come on dog. You realize CNN is as much a lefty mouthpiece as Fox is right.
Dog, you shot off your face with this nonsense because you simply ignore the reality Fox News feeds into the rightwing echo chamber.
HaulCitgo wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:33 am
Enoch brought the goods.

P.D.X.
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4191
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Post by P.D.X. » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:21 am

I'd accuse CNN of click-baity and alarmist headlines/slants at times, but is there any merit to the accusations that they're less accurate than other outlets?

User avatar
EnochRoot
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3418
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Post by EnochRoot » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:25 am

https://towardsdatascience.com/how-stat ... 8f0fab3cb3



Full list of news websites analyzed:

For anyone interested in the data from Ad Fontes Media, here are the basics I used from their available information.
Remember their metrics:

~ Reliability is measured on a scale from 0 to 64 (unreliable to reliable).
~ Bias is measured from -42 to +42 (left to right).

+---------------------------+-------------+--------+
| News Source | Reliability | Bias |
+---------------------------+-------------+--------+
| ABC news | 49.47 | -1.85 |
| Al Jazeera | 49.47 | -3.71 |
| Alternet | 21.4 | -19.16 |
| American Thinker | 23.1 | 29.82 |
| AP | 51.98 | -1.06 |
| Axios | 47.36 | -5.74 |
| BBC | 46.56 | -3.03 |
| Bipartisan Report | 19.29 | -23.55 |
| Bloomberg | 47.63 | -0.85 |
| Breitbart | 20.58 | 22.57 |
| Business Insider | 43.13 | -0.38 |
| BuzzFeed | 43.2 | -7.06 |
| CBS | 47.06 | -1.85 |
| Christian Science Monitor | 44.47 | -0.21 |
| CNN | 42.22 | -5.69 |
| Conservative Review | 21.8 | 25.3 |
| Conservative Tribune | 29.69 | 17.22 |
| Counterpunch | 25.06 | -19.38 |
| Crooks and Liars | 23.06 | -23.46 |
| Daily Beast | 34.44 | -16.25 |
| Daily Caller | 23.93 | 20.06 |
| Daily Kos | 23.16 | -21.49 |
| Daily Mail | 30.36 | 3.27 |
| Daily Signal | 24.79 | 23.31 |
| Daily Wire | 24.39 | 16.35 |
| Democracy Now | 32.91 | -19.31 |
| Financial Times | 46.71 | 0.62 |
| Fiscal Times | 44.72 | 1.52 |
| Forbes | 40.27 | 0.2 |
| Foreign Policy | 41.49 | -1.65 |
| Fortune | 45.15 | 0.43 |
| Forward | 37.57 | -5.69 |
| Fox News | 26.76 | 15.31 |
| FreeSpeech TV | 24.77 | -22.49 |
| Huffington Post | 39.98 | -11.64 |
| IJR | 44 | 6.73 |
| InfoWars | 12.97 | 31.05 |
| Intercept | 37.76 | -15.52 |
| Jacobin | 32.32 | -19.92 |
| LA Times | 48.88 | -3.06 |
| Life News | 24.49 | 24.75 |
| Marketwatch | 44.8 | -0.54 |
| Mother Jones | 37.31 | -13.92 |
| MSNBC | 46.39 | -6.11 |
| National Enquirer | 9.65 | 5.41 |
| National Public Radio | 49.9 | -2.73 |
| National Review | 26.36 | 16.23 |
| New Republic | 36.43 | -12.82 |
| New York Post | 38.7 | 5.15 |
| New York Times | 47.5 | -4.01 |
| News and Guts | 34.98 | -9.84 |
| NewsMax | 33.15 | 13.61 |
| NewsPunch | 14.39 | 28.58 |
| Newsy | 42.1 | -8 |
| Occupy Democrats | 20 | -25.59 |
| One America News Network | 30.57 | 15.89 |
| OZY | 40.99 | -5.43 |
| Palmer Report | 17.66 | -29.37 |
| PBS | 47.86 | -2.37 |
| PJ Media | 18.36 | 20.33 |
| Politico | 46.11 | -5.24 |
| ProPublica | 47.78 | -5.93 |
| Quartz | 41.34 | -3.89 |
| Reason | 38.27 | 4.12 |
| RedState | 26.44 | 20.08 |
| Reuters | 51.64 | -0.95 |
| Second Nexus | 24.29 | -22.61 |
| ShareBlue | 22.71 | -24.95 |
| Slate | 31.12 | -18.47 |
| Talking Points Memo | 41.96 | -5.67 |
| The Advocate | 49.47 | -1.85 |
| The American Conservative | 28.65 | 10.82 |
| The American Spectator | 22 | 23.89 |
| The Atlantic | 40.16 | -6.41 |
| The Blaze | 27.34 | 15.7 |
| The Economist | 42.34 | -2.43 |
| The Federalist | 22.23 | 23.29 |
| The Gateway Pundit | 12.44 | 28.55 |
| The Guardian | 47.66 | -6.45 |
| The Hill | 46.23 | 0.09 |
| The Nation | 33.39 | -16.89 |
| The New Yorker | 41.85 | -6.9 |
| The Progressive | 37.79 | -17.48 |
| The Skimm | 41.67 | -3.31 |
| The Week | 30.98 | -8.31 |
| Think Progress | 35.59 | -19.12 |
| Time | 42.7 | -4.35 |
| Truthout | 24.07 | -24.4 |
| Twitchy | 17.08 | 20.57 |
| USA Today | 46.07 | -2.03 |
| Vanity Fair | 35.42 | -17.98 |
| Vox | 41.97 | -8.75 |
| Wall Street Journal | 48.33 | 1.89 |
| Washington Examiner | 29.07 | 12.17 |
| Washington Free Beacon | 35.07 | 16.71 |
| Washington Monthly | 26.91 | -14.68 |
| Washington Post | 43.73 | -4.18 |
| Washington Times | 31.34 | 12.97 |
| Weather.com | 51.55 | -2.43 |
| Wonkette | 15.27 | -31.15 |
| World Truth TV | 7.41 | 8.48 |
| WorldNetDaily | 16.95 | 22.92 |
+---------------------------+-------------+--------+
HaulCitgo wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:33 am
Enoch brought the goods.

User avatar
EnochRoot
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3418
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Post by EnochRoot » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:26 am

P.D.X. wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:21 am
I'd accuse CNN of click-baity and alarmist headlines/slants at times, but is there any merit to the accusations that they're less accurate than other outlets?
They’re a much more trustworthy news source than Fox News. But yes, CNN is infotainment.
HaulCitgo wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:33 am
Enoch brought the goods.

P.D.X.
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4191
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Post by P.D.X. » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:31 am

They land about where I expected. Not the best, but far from "fabricating sources".

HaulCitgo
Donny
Posts: 2457
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:07 pm

Re: Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Post by HaulCitgo » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:31 am

Great stats. Why no TMZ. Id far sooner them than CNN.

tennbengal
The Dude
Posts: 8236
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Re: Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Post by tennbengal » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:32 am

Direct quotes and what not. Go start a CNN thread, for fuckssake. Deranged.


HaulCitgo
Donny
Posts: 2457
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:07 pm

Re: Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Post by HaulCitgo » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:34 am

P.D.X. wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:31 am
They land about where I expected. Not the best, but far from "fabricating sources".
Actually pretty bad in terms of reliability score. Exclude the folks that you wouldnt even consider "news" and they pretty much at the bottom of the pile.

HaulCitgo
Donny
Posts: 2457
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:07 pm

Re: Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Post by HaulCitgo » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:37 am

Important context


***Update 9/12/2020 — due to a lot of polite feedback, I wanted to include 3 updates from Ad Fontes Media’s data collection.
They’ve now separated CNN.com the website from CNN the cable news site
CNN.com — Bias score is -5.69 — Reliability score of 42.22 — (Considered relatively neutral with a slight left bias, and mostly factual reporting with some opinionated content)
CNN cable network — Bias score is -11.85 — Reliability score of 36.0 — (Considered left-biased and a lot of opinions mixed in with mostly factual reporting)
OAN Network (One America News Network) — Bias score of 22.0 — Reliability score of 20.83 — (Considered very right-biased with very questionable content approaching propaganda levels)

P.D.X.
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4191
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Post by P.D.X. » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:37 am

yes, they are the worst if you remove everyone worser than them

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 21743
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Post by mister d » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:06 am

P.D.X. wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:21 am
I'd accuse CNN of click-baity and alarmist headlines/slants at times, but is there any merit to the accusations that they're less accurate than other outlets?
Right. Tell them a little white girl was kidnapped and they're not going to care if her parents are on the left or right.
Steve of phpBB wrote:What are they going to do, though. Storm Congress? The Department of Justice building?

User avatar
Giff
The Dude
Posts: 6972
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Post by Giff » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:09 am

I used to read Christian Science Monitor all the time. Not sure why I stopped.
Muh.

User avatar
EdRomero
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:39 pm

Re: Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Post by EdRomero » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:18 am

tennbengal wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:32 am
Direct quotes and what not. Go start a CNN thread, for fuckssake. Deranged.

How many 100,000s lives will be saved because Biden won? And how many have been lost because Hillary didn't?

User avatar
Steve of phpBB
The Dude
Posts: 6267
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 am
Location: Feeling gravity's pull

Re: Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Post by Steve of phpBB » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:22 am

mister d wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:06 am
P.D.X. wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:21 am
I'd accuse CNN of click-baity and alarmist headlines/slants at times, but is there any merit to the accusations that they're less accurate than other outlets?
Right. Tell them a little white girl was kidnapped and they're not going to care if her parents are on the left or right.
I think this gets it right - like most media, CNN is biased in favor of an exciting or alarming story that will get people to watch them.

And they're probably somewhat biased to the moderate left because most of the people there are from the cultural milieu as most moderate lefties - but also because the right is so fucking insane that any kind of equal treatment would itself be a sign of bias.

When CNN gets actual facts wrong, they get embarrassed and issue retractions. Fox doesn't do that, except as necessary to settle lawsuits.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.

HaulCitgo
Donny
Posts: 2457
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:07 pm

Re: Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Post by HaulCitgo » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:23 am

Giff wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:09 am
I used to read Christian Science Monitor all the time. Not sure why I stopped.
Thought that was interesting too. Want to say HQ is Mass Ave. Should check them out again.

HaulCitgo
Donny
Posts: 2457
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:07 pm

Re: Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Post by HaulCitgo » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:28 am

Steve of phpBB wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:22 am
mister d wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:06 am
P.D.X. wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:21 am
I'd accuse CNN of click-baity and alarmist headlines/slants at times, but is there any merit to the accusations that they're less accurate than other outlets?
Right. Tell them a little white girl was kidnapped and they're not going to care if her parents are on the left or right.
I think this gets it right - like most media, CNN is biased in favor of an exciting or alarming story that will get people to watch them.

And they're probably somewhat biased to the moderate left because most of the people there are from the cultural milieu as most moderate lefties - but also because the right is so fucking insane that any kind of equal treatment would itself be a sign of bias.

When CNN gets actual facts wrong, they get embarrassed and issue retractions. Fox doesn't do that, except as necessary to settle lawsuits.
Closer to truth but its more than just unbiased media hype. They are trying to split the market with MSNBC who was kicking their butts at one point. They are actively seeking lefty consumers and modify their "news" reporting to facilitate. Retractions are probably due to demands by attorneys. Done enough to know its a punitive damages defense mechanism.

P.D.X.
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4191
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Post by P.D.X. » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:31 am

Still quite a leap to "they fabricate sources".

HaulCitgo
Donny
Posts: 2457
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:07 pm

Re: Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Post by HaulCitgo » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:33 am

Your words not mine. The fabrication is the assumption that the source is solid. CNN is not worthy of that assumption and Enoch brought the goods.

User avatar
Giff
The Dude
Posts: 6972
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Post by Giff » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:36 am

Um, the goods Enoch brought show that CNN.com is way less biased than Fox.
Muh.

P.D.X.
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4191
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Post by P.D.X. » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:37 am

It's funny to think you can look at that list and see their reliability as 'low'. Make your own assumptions based on the data, but numbers still have relative value.

Post Reply