Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

BSF21
The Dude

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by BSF21 »

I don’t like Lasso but it’s because it’s on appletv and there no way in hell I’m paying for that. Looking forward to checking it out when they sell the rights though at some point.

The Expanse is still the best SciFi on TV. Really enjoying this season.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

BSF21 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:27 amThe Expanse is still the best SciFi on TV. Really enjoying this season.
Hell yes. I’m curious, have you read the books?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:46 pm
BSF21 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:27 amThe Expanse is still the best SciFi on TV. Really enjoying this season.
Listened to the first 3
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

BSF21 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:47 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:46 pm
Listened to the first 3
At this point I’ve read the whole series, most of it twice. I re-read Nemesis Games last week because watching this season was making me frustrated at the details I’ve forgotten.

If I hadn’t read it at all, I’d’ve been fine with watching it and just seeing where it goes. But once I’ve read it, it bothers me that I can’t remember stuff from the books.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I wish more people had the stones to admit Marvel movies are mostly shit. That said I haven’t seen Wandavision
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

BSF21 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:27 am I don’t like Lasso but it’s because it’s on appletv and there no way in hell I’m paying for that. Looking forward to checking it out when they sell the rights though at some point.
Preach, brother.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

sancarlos wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:55 pm
BSF21 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:27 am I don’t like Lasso but it’s because it’s on appletv and there no way in hell I’m paying for that. Looking forward to checking it out when they sell the rights though at some point.
Preach, brother.
I think Apple TV was $5.99/no. in September when I sprung for it. Put an alarm on my phone to cancel it when it auto-renewal came due. Was 150% worth the $ and possibly selling out any principles regarding paying per show.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

serrano wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:59 am
Preach, brother.
I think Apple TV was $5.99/no. in September when I sprung for it. Put an alarm on my phone to cancel it when it auto-renewal came due. Was 150% worth the $ and possibly selling out any principles regarding paying per show.
Even if I wanted to do this, wouldn't I need an apple device to do so?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:00 am
Preach, brother.
Even if I wanted to do this, wouldn't I need an apple device to do so?
No. You can download the Apple TV app from several streaming services or just watch online.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Merci
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:46 pm I wish more people had the stones to admit Marvel movies are mostly shit. That said I haven’t seen Wandavision
Wandavision is creative and unique.

Most Marvel movies have things blowing up to portentous music.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:18 am
brian wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:46 pm I wish more people had the stones to admit Marvel movies are mostly shit. That said I haven’t seen Wandavision
Wandavision is creative and unique.

Most Marvel movies have things blowing up to portentous music.
I've heard nothing but the former and the latter is my assessment of them as well. In case it wasn't clear I'm glad they're apparently doing something other than have "good guys fight bad guys while destroying huge swaths of XYZ city in the process".
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:03 amMerci
If you decide to do this, make sure you check out the Anniston-Witherspoon newsroom show. Highly entertaining.

Also the Beastie Boys documentary thing.

Skip the legal thriller about the boy that did/didn't kill a high school classmate. Dark as Hell, pretty predictable, and (to me, at least) pretty annoying characters (esp the mom.)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Ted Lasso is 12 30 minutes episodes? Sounds like I need to download and binge. I don't think anyone I know has Apple+ and I'm not going to seek out someone either.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:27 am Ted Lasso is 12 30 minutes episodes? Sounds like I need to download and binge. I don't think anyone I know has Apple+ and I'm not going to seek out someone either.
No, 10 eps at 30 minutes or so each. And you can do it in a day. You will want to.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Even better. Less time to spend downloading.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Yellowstone is surprisingly good.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Preach, brother.
I bought a new iPhone and signed up for a year of free AppleTV. It seems like there is very little original content, and everything requires fees to watch. It seems like everything is available for pay on other platforms, like Amazon, so I don't plan on renewing. My father's hobby is downloading movies, shows and books for his friends, so if there is something I really want to see, he'll get it for me. I got the first few Lasso episodes from him before I got AppleTV. I watched Greyhound, which was really good, and I am really looking forward to the Anniston/Witherspoon show, but my wife wants to see it, but it starts off really dark and slow and she wanted to watch something lighter, and we haven't gone back yet.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

P.D.X. wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:58 am Yellowstone is surprisingly good.
How many episodes have you seen? I thought it started really good and was going to be a well-balanced look at issues related to how development encroaches on public and private land and then about the middle of season one, it just turned into a laughable shitshow. One man's opinion.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:11 am
Preach, brother.
I bought a new iPhone and signed up for a year of free AppleTV. It seems like there is very little original content, and everything requires fees to watch. It seems like everything is available for pay on other platforms, like Amazon, so I don't plan on renewing. My father's hobby is downloading movies, shows and books for his friends, so if there is something I really want to see, he'll get it for me. I got the first few Lasso episodes from him before I got AppleTV. I watched Greyhound, which was really good, and I am really looking forward to the Anniston/Witherspoon show, but my wife wants to see it, but it starts off really dark and slow and she wanted to watch something lighter, and we haven't gone back yet.
Are you sure you successfully signed up? The content Apple created shouldn’t have any fees associated with it. There’s definitely a quantity issue. $5/mo only makes sense if it guarantees you a grandfather’d in status as for future rate increases.
Noli Timere Messorem
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

brian wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:21 am
P.D.X. wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:58 am Yellowstone is surprisingly good.
How many episodes have you seen? I thought it started really good and was going to be a well-balanced look at issues related to how development encroaches on public and private land and then about the middle of season one, it just turned into a laughable shitshow. One man's opinion.
Think I'm 5-6 episodes in. For sure it goes Hollywood after the first.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:24 am
The Sybian wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:11 am
Preach, brother.
Are you sure you successfully signed up? The content Apple created shouldn’t have any fees associated with it. There’s definitely a quantity issue. $5/mo only makes sense if it guarantees you a grandfather’d in status as for future rate increases.
No fee for Apple original content, but there are only 2 shows I want to watch, and one movie, and I've already seen the movie and one of the shows. When I first signed on, it seemed like a ton of content, but anything I want to watch has a rental fee, or you need to sign up for another subscription. Like maybe if I didn't have a smart TV, I could get AppleTV and sign up for Showtime to watch Showtime's content, but otherwise I can't see paying for AppleTV when my subscription ends. I actually passed on the free subscription when I bought my daughter a phone, because I know I'll get lazy and forget to cancel the subscription, or worse, get hooked on a show and want to keep access, like I did with Hulu. I figured I was better off not starting and wanting to see future seasons of shows, but now that I've gone into it, there is just so little original content, I can't see the value.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

What you're seeing is that the App blows goats. It's not easy to find what is included and what is an add on.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Rams Fanny wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:46 pm
sancarlos wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:39 pm I'd like to check out the new Bryan Cranston drama Your Honor. But, there's no way I'm signing up for Showtime. Are there other ways to watch it?
We watched the first episode and there were several "Oh, come on" moments where it was hard to believe the actions or decisions being undertaken. Acting was overall good but unless they tighten up pretty quick we'll be out. Good premise poorly executed.
I think "oh come on" shit is the #1 reason I quit any show after episode 2, and this one is definitely full of them, and yet we're on episode 4 and planning to finish. Maybe he's just that good or something?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:37 am
Rams Fanny wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:46 pm
sancarlos wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:39 pm I'd like to check out the new Bryan Cranston drama Your Honor. But, there's no way I'm signing up for Showtime. Are there other ways to watch it?
We watched the first episode and there were several "Oh, come on" moments where it was hard to believe the actions or decisions being undertaken. Acting was overall good but unless they tighten up pretty quick we'll be out. Good premise poorly executed.
I think "oh come on" shit is the #1 reason I quit any show after episode 2, and this one is definitely full of them, and yet we're on episode 4 and planning to finish. Maybe he's just that good or something?
Yep, that's about it. It's worth it to stick it out to watch Cranston. He's so good and this show is no exception. (Stuhlbarg is really good as well.)
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A_B wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:30 am What you're seeing is that the App blows goats. It's not easy to find what is included and what is an add on.
Actually, content aside, the Apple TV+ app is as good as any in the streaming industry. You just have to remember to filter for content that is exclusive to AppleTV+.

It’s similar to Hulu and Amazon’s streaming services in that they also double as a hub for other streaming content / services. Very multi-dimensional, on a 2D screen.

FWIW, Amazon is far more confusing to navigate, and is far less stable than Apple, Netflix and Hulu, too.
Noli Timere Messorem
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I've used the platforms and they all have pros and cons.

Like, my biggest beef with Netflix is that while I'm scrolling around, I really don't want the auto-preview to start a trailer. There's probably a setting somewhere I can toggle off, but as of now it's just an annoying "feature."

And, while I agree Amazon is kind of difficult to navigate, I LOVE the feature on there where you can pause what you're watching and find out which actors are on screen at any given moment.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:27 am Ted Lasso is 12 30 minutes episodes? Sounds like I need to download and binge. I don't think anyone I know has Apple+ and I'm not going to seek out someone either.
I think anyone who's bought an iphone in the last year got a free one-year subscription. I doubt too many folks are outright paying for it yet.
Totally Kafkaesque
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:35 pm I've used the platforms and they all have pros and cons.

Like, my biggest beef with Netflix is that while I'm scrolling around, I really don't want the auto-preview to start a trailer. There's probably a setting somewhere I can toggle off, but as of now it's just an annoying "feature."

And, while I agree Amazon is kind of difficult to navigate, I LOVE the feature on there where you can pause what you're watching and find out which actors are on screen at any given moment.
Agreed. I will say that Netflix's ability to nix the opening theme song (heh) is really convenient. Hulu provides no such option.

Another nit I have with Hulu is how it remembers where you left off the last time you watched a particular episode instead of starting over based on your current behavior. Like, if I've been streaming consecutive episodes for the past 3 hours, why does it insist on resuming the episode that say, 4 months ago i had to stop prematurely? Is there a way to disable that feature?
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Ted Lasso was really, really good.

BSF, you got Dropbox? I can upload it for you.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:54 am Ted Lasso was really, really good.

BSF, you got Dropbox? I can upload it for you.
It is the rare "you must see this" chorus that holds up.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, it's actually kind of weird. You'd think at some point, either on here or in real life you'd find someone that doesn't like it. The only pushback I ever see is that they don't want to deal with Apple+, so they haven't seen it.

I've yet to come across someone that's seen it and doesn't sing its praises. That said, it might be bc they don't want to be "that guy" and keep their opinion bottled.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:12 am Yeah, it's actually kind of weird. You'd think at some point, either on here or in real life you'd find someone that doesn't like it. The only pushback I ever see is that they don't want to deal with Apple+, so they haven't seen it.

I've yet to come across someone that's seen it and doesn't sing its praises. That said, it might be bc they don't want to be "that guy" and keep their opinion bottled.
It's just a cute, non-offensive well acted story. It's kind of Hallmark movieish in some ways, but with some legit good jokes thrown in and some originality, so it appeals to everyone. I didn't think my wife would be interested, so I watched on my own, but I should recommend it, as I think she'll like it. My parents were aware of it since my father was sending me the episodes, but they ended up reading several articles about how good it was, so they ended up watching it and really liked it, too.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Absolutely part of its appeal is that it's barely about sports, much more about the characters... And, importantly, 2 really strong (and funny) female leading characters.

There's a (dark) universe where this show is almost entirely about the locker room, training grounds and the games and, I dunno, the incredibly silly idea that Lasso would somehow be an effective manager of a PL team.

I wonder how this show would be received in England. I think it's easier for us to suspend disbelief over the absurdity because even with loads of serious footie fans here... It's just not the same level of engrained fandom.

Like, would we really give a show where a guy that coached a middling 4th division team in England to promotion, and then gets hired by the Detroit Lions on the whims of sketchy ownership decisions....

Wait... Actually....
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:13 pm Absolutely part of its appeal is that it's barely about sports, much more about the characters... And, importantly, 2 really strong (and funny) female leading characters.

There's a (dark) universe where this show is almost entirely about the locker room, training grounds and the games and, I dunno, the incredibly silly idea that Lasso would somehow be an effective manager of a PL team.

I wonder how this show would be received in England. I think it's easier for us to suspend disbelief over the absurdity because even with loads of serious footie fans here... It's just not the same level of engrained fandom.

Like, would we really give a show where a guy that coached a middling 4th division team in England to promotion, and then gets hired by the Detroit Lions on the whims of sketchy ownership decisions....

Wait... Actually....
I am still bothered by Fever Pitch going all Red Soxs...
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:13 pm Absolutely part of its appeal is that it's barely about sports, much more about the characters... And, importantly, 2 really strong (and funny) female leading characters.

Wait... Actually....
We all loved Major League! I felt like the premise of the show was ripped off from Major League, and the female team owner character seemed like a direct ripoff, too. I am curious how this show is perceived in England. A lot of the charm is guy pretending to be a hayseed living in a foreign culture, and some jokes are at the expense of not understanding the culture, the sport, the media... but I could see English people getting caught up in the annoyance of the show getting things wrong, or the humor in situations not translating. OTOH, the English are less self-centered and douchey than Americans, so maybe they wouldn't care.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Combine Major League and the real life Tim Tebow story and you're 90% home.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'm gonna jump off, because I started another post picking more holes in the show, which makes me feel gross.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:23 pm I'm gonna jump off, because I started another post picking more holes in the show, which makes me feel gross.
Thanks for abandoning that plan. Plaan. PLan. Plaaaan.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:31 pm We all loved Major League! I felt like the premise of the show was ripped off from Major League, and the female team owner character seemed like a direct ripoff, too. I am curious how this show is perceived in England. A lot of the charm is guy pretending to be a hayseed living in a foreign culture, and some jokes are at the expense of not understanding the culture, the sport, the media... but I could see English people getting caught up in the annoyance of the show getting things wrong, or the humor in situations not translating. OTOH, the English are less self-centered and douchey than Americans, so maybe they wouldn't care.
While I believe this bolded part is true on the whole, your more serious footie fans in England...not so much.