Random Politics

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Re: Random Politics

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:05 am Only real hope is that a non-nutjob Republican primaries her like finally happened to Steve King. Unfortunately, she's probably super popular with the kind of white supremacist mouth-breathers that make up most of the GOP base now.
There was a story in either the NyTimes or the WaPost this fall about a democratic guy who was running against her...and he was subject to so much abuse and vitriol (online, phone messages, etc) that he dropped out of the race.

Found it: The 31-day campaign against QAnon
There was a time when Kevin Van Ausdal had not yet been called a “loser” and “a disgrace” and hustled out of Georgia. He had not yet punched a wall, or been labeled a “communist,” or a person “who’d probably cry like a baby if you put a gun in his face.” He did not yet know who was going to be the Republican nominee for Congress in his conservative district in northwestern Georgia: the well-known local neurosurgeon, or the woman he knew vaguely as a person who had openly promoted conspiracies including something about a cabal of Satan-worshipping pedophiles.

Anything still seemed possible in the spring of 2020, including the notion that he, Kevin Van Ausdal, a 35-year-old political novice who wanted to “bring civility back to Washington” might have a shot at becoming a U.S. congressman.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:52 am Pretty sure putting her on Education & Labor indicates the Republicans see her as a useful tool. Too bad the Dems are powerless to respond.
“What I’m concerned about is the Republican leadership in the House of Representatives who was willing to overlook, ignore those statements, assigning her to the education committee when she has mocked the killing of little children at Sandy Hook Elementary School, when she has mocked the killing of teenagers in high school at the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School,” Pelosi said at her weekly news briefing. “What could they be thinking? Or is thinking too generous a word for what they might be doing?”
Laughing stock.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Gym Jordan said no to Portman's spot in Senate..
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I wonder if that may have something to do with there being a gubernatorial election that year. Dewine didn't win by a whole lot compared to Kasich in 2018. And Sherrod Brown won by a larger margin in that same election as a democrat. I can see there being some hand-wringing about that seat and can you really put up a guy with so many people that hate him in a purplish state?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

A_B wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:55 pm I wonder if that may have something to do with there being a gubernatorial election that year. Dewine didn't win by a whole lot compared to Kasich in 2018. And Sherrod Brown won by a larger margin in that same election as a democrat. I can see there being some hand-wringing about that seat and can you really put up a guy with so many people that hate him in a purplish state?
I think he gets crushed anywhere outside a heavily gerrymandered district like the one he holds. Why do you think calls for term limits are suddenly coming from the right? Because they know if the dems get district reform and gerrymandering under control the Rs go from a 51/49 to a 60/40 on popular vote in fair districts overnight. He doesn't want that seat because he can't win it or hold it in a statewide election.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:43 pm
Sadly I expect to see this in several states like Georgia, Pa, Texas, NC, Florida.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:43 pm
One of my friends dated the lawmaker in question while we were in college.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Sticking dicks in crazy and all that.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Everyone missed this tidbit on the Arizona law.

psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Yes, if one thing has been established in the past year, it's that Jordan Uhl is a reliable source for a fair and accurate take on political matters.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

WASHINGTON, D.C. – The White House confirmed Friday that President Joe Biden will launch a task force focused on reuniting families separated at the U.S.-Mexico border.

Press Secretary Jen Psaki said during her daily briefing that Biden will announce the task force Tuesday and Alejandro Mayorkas, Biden’s nominee for homeland security secretary, will lead the task force.

“It’s something that he’s personally committed to, his wife Dr. Biden is personally committed to and invested in, and he plans to make that announcement next Tuesday,” said Psaki.

Psaki also said Biden will deliver remarks and sign an executive order on “advancing his priority to modernize our immigration system” on Tuesday.

She added that the administration wanted to enact the immigration executive order sooner, but they’re waiting for the confirmation of Mayorkas.
The link to that is below - but there are tons of popups ...
https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/n ... al-results
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Your objection lies between CBS and Biden's youtube, not with Jordan Uhl.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Joe Biden has spent his first ten days in office trying to right some of his predecessor’s most egregious wrongs: He’s undone some of Donald Trump’s toxic policies, like his bans on travel from several predominantly Muslim countries and on transgender Americans from serving in the military. He’s recommitted to international cooperation, rejoining the Paris climate accord and the World Health Organization. And, of course, his administration is working to dramatically improve the nation’s response to the coronavirus crisis and its vaccine rollout.

But one of the most grotesque atrocities of the Trump era could also be one of the most difficult to rectify. The Biden administration on Friday announced that it will begin working next week to reunite the hundreds of children who remain separated from their parents as a result of the last administrations’ “zero tolerance” border policy, one of the ugliest chapters of the Trump years. “The president...now plans to launch a task force on reunifying families and children,” White House press secretary Jen Psaki told reporters Friday, “something he’s personally committed to, something that his wife, Dr. Biden, is personally committed to and invested in.”

Biden had promised during his campaign to establish the task force and had originally been expected to announce it this week, but delayed the move after Republican Senator Josh Hawley stalled a confirmation vote on Homeland Security nominee Alejandro Mayorkas, who is expected to lead the reunification team. Biden will instead announce the task force Tuesday, the day after Mayorkas is expected to be confirmed. First Lady Jill Biden will also play a key role in the effort—a notable contrast from her predecessor, Melania Trump, who publicly called the separation of children from their parents “unacceptable,” but seemed more upset by the media’s coverage of her bizarre decision to visit a detention center wearing a jacket emblazoned with the words, “I really don’t care do u?”

Biden has already targeted Trump immigration policies through executive action, including ceasing construction on the ex-president’s signature border wall and ordering protections for Dreamers, and is expected to announce more immigration moves on Tuesday. But the family reunifications could be the most challenging: Of the nearly 3,000 children separated from their families at the U.S.-Mexico border by the Trump administration, more than 600 children have yet to be reunited with their parents. Bringing together the split families is sure to be a massive and complex undertaking, and won’t, on its own, undo the damage the policy caused on those impacted. “You’re talking about very young kids separated from the parents for years now,” Jeremy McClean, policy and advocacy manager with Justice in Motion, a group that has worked to reunite families, told USA Today last week. “That’s an incredible amount of trauma.”
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/01 ... d-by-trump
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:59 pm Your objection lies between CBS and Biden's youtube, not with Jordan Uhl.
No, I'm pretty sure it's Jordan Uhl who cherry-picks stuff to fit a predetermined narrative about how terrible Biden and the Dems are.

Look at the two articles I just inserted above. Those were both published before Uhl's tweet.

Did he not research the issue well enough to find them? Or did he find them and not bother to account for them when he tweeted?
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

👀

CB402498-0791-4875-8964-B1668B4CCADB.jpeg
CB402498-0791-4875-8964-B1668B4CCADB.jpeg (44.25 KiB) Viewed 694 times
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Refreshing
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

When was the last time the thread about the sitting president was on page 2? 2016 at the earliest.

Or latest. You know what I mean.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:01 pm
mister d wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:59 pm Your objection lies between CBS and Biden's youtube, not with Jordan Uhl.
No, I'm pretty sure it's Jordan Uhl who cherry-picks stuff to fit a predetermined narrative about how terrible Biden and the Dems are.

Look at the two articles I just inserted above. Those were both published before Uhl's tweet.

Did he not research the issue well enough to find them? Or did he find them and not bother to account for them when he tweeted?
I'm not sure how CBS doesn't get your attention here. If it were "www.progressiveamericaforbernie.net" or something, sure, target the messenger.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

(Reply in the Biden Presidency thread.)
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Not sure if here or in another thread, but this is the Instagram of a friend who knits things.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

My wife bought one similar for the oldest daughter's birthday. Haven't seen it yet.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Any Colorado Swampers??

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Unlike Greene, Boebert’s district could be winnable for the Dems.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

What in the actual fuck?

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:07 pm Unlike Greene, Boebert’s district could be winnable for the Dems.
I think Greene will get beat in 2022, but I think it will be in the primaries.. I read an article yesterday that the Georgia GOP isn't very happy with her.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

psunate77 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:24 am
Steve of phpBB wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:07 pm Unlike Greene, Boebert’s district could be winnable for the Dems.
I think Greene will get beat in 2022, but I think it will be in the primaries.. I read an article yesterday that the Georgia GOP isn't very happy with her.
Yeah but the GOP hated Trump too.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

brian wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:22 am What in the actual fuck?

File this under ‘N’ for not surprising. The people who showed up at the insurrection are either people who fuck each others brains out at car accidents or were there to burn it all down.

These are people who, when they shit the bed, kick the turd out the bottom of the sheets rather than get up in horror.
Noli Timere Messorem
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I mean, I don't know why anyone was surprised. I would have assumed many of the ones doing that did not vote - they clearly want a dictatorship and to be brownshirts. Voting isn't a part of that.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I'm embarrassed to say Boebert represents the area where I grew up. The biggest industry there is oil and gas. Many people there are really pissed off at Biden at the moment for climate-related policies such as the suspension of oil and gas leases, and the closing off of the Keystone pipeline.

I certainly support his recognition of climate science and the steps he is taking. But, it is not helping the Democrats get votes in oil and gas districts. That helps the Repubs there in 2022.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:27 pm
I'm embarrassed to say Boebert represents the area where I grew up. The biggest industry there is oil and gas. Many people there are really pissed off at Biden at the moment for climate-related policies such as the suspension of oil and gas leases, and the closing off of the Keystone pipeline.

I certainly support his recognition of climate science and the steps he is taking. But, it is not helping the Democrats get votes in oil and gas districts. That helps the Repubs there in 2022.
I get the natural reaction for oil/gas people being upset about environmental policies, but that industry was getting destroyed before Biden was elected. Nobody wants to drill now; doesn't matter who is president.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

EdRomero wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:32 pm

I get the natural reaction for oil/gas people being upset about environmental policies, but that industry was getting destroyed before Biden was elected. Nobody wants to drill now; doesn't matter who is president.
Yes. But, it is an emotional reaction. "He is against us". And, if there are job losses, for any reason. Guess who is getting blamed.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:49 pm I mean, I don't know why anyone was surprised. I would have assumed many of the ones doing that did not vote - they clearly want a dictatorship and to be brownshirts. Voting isn't a part of that.

I mean, in a less Godwin's Law invocation slant... A lot of people that fall into the QAnon - Burn down the Capitol crowd don't think voting is going to change things, because The Fix is in... And Trump was going to fix all that, for reasons.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:34 pm
EdRomero wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:32 pm

Yes. But, it is an emotional reaction. "He is against us". And, if there are job losses, for any reason. Guess who is getting blamed.
Of course, those folks were probably solidly in the R camp to begin with.

The great irony would be that if all the BLM folks who are being forced to move from DC to Grand Junction end up providing the margin to defeat Boebert in 2022. (Or all those second-home owners in Gunnison County who start claiming permanent residence there.)
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

A progressive has no chance in WV.. What a waste. In fact I don't care for Manchin, but he is by far the best we will get in WV.
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/02/0 ... ers-464821
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

psunate77 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:10 am A progressive has no chance in WV.. What a waste. In fact I don't care for Manchin, but he is by far the best we will get in WV.
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/02/0 ... ers-464821
The Justice Democrats ran a candidate in the Dem primary against Manchin in 2018. Paula Swearingen. Manchin beat her in the primary 70-30.

Two years later, in 2020, Swearingen got the nomination. In the general election she lost to Capito 70-27.

So yes, there's no way in hell that Manchin will fear a primary from the left, and it'd be really really stupid for the WV Dems to replace Manchin with a strong progressive.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Imagine that...