Fast Food Thread: Not just about assholes anymore

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Re: Fast Food Thread: Not just about assholes anymore

Post by Reaper »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:17 pm
Johnnie wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:53 pm Want to know a place you just shouldn't go...? Sonic.
Fixed it for you...
Apparently a lot of people just outside of Philly agree. Kind of ironic with all the bans on indoor dining that the drive-up-and-eat-in-your-car place closes down. There were 15 in all of Pennsylvania. I knew where three of them were and they're all closing, as well as seven others that sent out WARN notices right before Christmas.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:48 pm Well, sex machine, that one's on you. Ordering pizza at Subway is like ordering shrimp scampi at a strip club.

(no it isn't.)
Completely agree. My kids ate it, not me. Guessing they were about 5 and 8 yo. The sandwich I had wasn’t much better.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'm not fronting... I would get a "TUNA FISH" SUB and two strips of bacon with lettuce, pickles, onions and a squeeze of mayo on whole wheat and it was fucking great.

Until it wasn't.

It's kind of like... You know how when you were a kid, you loved eating super sugary cereal every day, until... You didn't?

That's what it was like with me and Subway. Kind of weird, but also... Nature.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:28 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:48 pm Well, sex machine, that one's on you. Ordering pizza at Subway is like ordering shrimp scampi at a strip club.

(no it isn't.)
Completely agree. My kids ate it, not me. Guessing they were about 5 and 8 yo. The sandwich I had wasn’t much better.
My kids used to like it.

every Subway has a similar stench that sticks to the clothes. An unidentifiable, vaguely foodish smell.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:31 pm
The Sybian wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:28 pm

(no it isn't.)
My kids used to like it.

every Subway has a similar stench that sticks to the clothes. An unidentifiable, vaguely foodish smell.
Yes! It’s like super-sugary bread.
-Pruitt
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:31 pm I'm not fronting... I would get a "TUNA FISH" SUB and two strips of bacon with lettuce, pickles, onions and a squeeze of mayo on whole wheat and it was fucking great.

Until it wasn't.

It's kind of like... You know how when you were a kid, you loved eating super sugary cereal every day, until... You didn't?

That's what it was like with me and Subway. Kind of weird, but also... Nature.
I had the same reverse epiphany the last time I had subway, oh, 18 years ago or so. Every topping on the sandwich was suddenly just gross in the same way. Like I just swallowed the red pill or something. Haven't had it since.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Yeeesh. As compared to fast food, Subway is fine. Problem is sorta expensive. Not worth a $10 lunch. Meats need upgrade but as close to fresh vegetables as you will find on the southside.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Reaper wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:22 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:17 pm
Johnnie wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:53 pm Want to know a place you just shouldn't go...? Sonic.
Fixed it for you...
Apparently a lot of people just outside of Philly agree. Kind of ironic with all the bans on indoor dining that the drive-up-and-eat-in-your-car place closes down. There were 15 in all of Pennsylvania. I knew where three of them were and they're all closing, as well as seven others that sent out WARN notices right before Christmas.
Sonic does have all day/night breakfast. That alone is worth keeping it open. Roller skates, though I don't see that as often as maybe 5-10 years ago. Cherry limeade is right there with Chick-fil-A lemonade as best drink going.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

There was a Subway a block and a half from our place in Boston and I truly hated it. Just walking by, which we did multiple times per day, you'd get that horrible faux-bread smell. It outlasted us, but its gone now so I take solace in that.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:13 am There was a Subway a block and a half from our place in Boston and I truly hated it. Just walking by, which we did multiple times per day, you'd get that horrible faux-bread smell. It outlasted us, but its gone now so I take solace in that.
The Subway may be gone, but the faux-bread smell still lingers.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I haven't had Subway in like two or three years. It was kinda like what PDX said, a switch just flipped in my head. We had a Capriotti's and a Jersey Mike's just as close to our house in Vegas as Subway, so I'd just get those if I wanted a sandwich. Vastly superior and basically the same price.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Bobbie?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Subway is basically a time choice for me. Don't have a jersey Mike's that close, but subway is walking distance from my office. So if I need something quick it's the best option. Not great, but fine to get filled up on sugary bread.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:51 am Yeeesh. As compared to fast food, Subway is fine. Problem is sorta expensive. Not worth a $10 lunch. Meats need upgrade but as close to fresh vegetables as you will find on the southside.
Thing is, depending on where you are located, you should be able to find a better sandwich/sub option. I get that there places (like military bases) where this isn't an option. My thing was just being lazy about it.

And there really is something about the cloying bread smell that once it turns on you, it's impossible to ignore.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:25 am Subway is basically a time choice for me. Don't have a jersey Mike's that close, but subway is walking distance from my office. So if I need something quick it's the best option. Not great, but fine to get filled up on sugary bread.
Plus they have the best pizza in Kentucky.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:34 am
A_B wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:25 am Subway is basically a time choice for me. Don't have a jersey Mike's that close, but subway is walking distance from my office. So if I need something quick it's the best option. Not great, but fine to get filled up on sugary bread.
Plus they have the best pizza in Kentucky.
Obviously.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:24 amBobbie?
Sometimes, but all of their sandwiches are pretty damn good. I'm a Cole Turkey fan as well.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

When I’m forced into a sandwich from Subway, I go with the flatbread option. It’s less disappointing.
Noli Timere Messorem
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

What is the subway smell
https://www.vice.com/en/article/5dz975/ ... that-smell

also great stuff on theories of venting and other about making that smell prominent.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Complaints about freshly baked bread huh? Could do a whole lot worse. I see bags of old bread loaded into places all the time.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:30 am Complaints about freshly baked bread huh? Could do a whole lot worse. I see bags of old bread loaded into places all the time.
Everyone loves the smell of fresh baked bread, it's just something about the smell of Subway stores, like it's a Glade plug-in artificial scent.

With everyone saying the same thing that they used to like Subway than something switched, I'm wondering if they changed ingredients, and it's not just that our tastes changed.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Everyone loves fresh squeezed juice but you can't put insects into a press and call it OJ, amiright???
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I think the internet changed our expectations and with that, our tolerance for meh food.

Dominos became a joke. Subway? Please. There are so many better options out there. Just google them.

Though I will say I think Burger King screwed the pooch when they went away from their original fries back in the mid 90s.
Noli Timere Messorem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:03 am I think the internet changed our expectations and with that, our tolerance for meh food.

Dominos became a joke. Subway? Please. There are so many better options out there. Just google them.

Though I will say I think Burger King screwed the pooch when they went away from their original fries back in the mid 90s.
Dominos was always disgusting and a joke. Even in college, if free Dominos was offered, I'd pass.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Speaking of places where what's supposed to be an appetizing smell is an instant turnoff. Burger King might hold the top spot.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

And the fast food of vaccines is available. Don't put it in your vagina. J&J has had some issues there.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:09 am
EnochRoot wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:03 am I think the internet changed our expectations and with that, our tolerance for meh food.

Dominos was always disgusting and a joke. Even in college, if free Dominos was offered, I'd pass.
This assumes you knew better alternatives.
Noli Timere Messorem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:21 am

Other than Subway pizza, is there anything worse than Dominos (I've heard they made huge improvements, but I haven't tried their new recipe)? Little Caeser's and Papa John's maybe, but seriously, I can't imagine not having a better option available.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Loved Little Caesar's in HS (crazy bread!), and there is one a couple of towns away and I've debated seeing how it holds up but it's far enough away to be a pain in the ass to drive to at dinner time and we have a local place we like all but at the end of the block, so...

c/serrano and I ate so much Domino's one summer while we were staying on campus between semesters ($5 mediums, I think?) that we're probably both still wearing it.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:27 am

Other than Subway pizza, is there anything worse than Dominos (I've heard they made huge improvements, but I haven't tried their new recipe)? Little Caeser's and Papa John's maybe, but seriously, I can't imagine not having a better option available.
Personally, I was referring to mid-to-late 1980s Palm Beach Gardens, FL. We had Papa Johns. Gumbys. Pizza Hut. I mean, smaller communities did have locally-owned pizza joints, but we had no way of knowing about them. Once I got over to Tampa for college, I realized there were so many better options (Tampa has a very strong NYC & MW/Chicago transplant community).
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:38 am

Personally, I was referring to mid-to-late 1980s Palm Beach Gardens, FL. We had Papa Johns. Gumbys. Pizza Hut. I mean, smaller communities did have locally-owned pizza joints, but we had no way of knowing about them. Once I got over to Tampa for college, I realized there were so many better options (Tampa has a very strong NYC & MW/Chicago transplant community).
Gumby's!! Gimme my Pokey Stix, dammit!

Other than the food boom here in the last few years, I've never heard of anyone referring to Tampa as some sort of food awakening destination.

Also, Tampa has way more MW than NYC transplants. Everyone just followed their respective interestates south. MW ended up on the Gulf coast, NE ended up on the Atlantic.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Gumbys!!!!!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:15 am
mister d wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:13 am There was a Subway a block and a half from our place in Boston and I truly hated it. Just walking by, which we did multiple times per day, you'd get that horrible faux-bread smell. It outlasted us, but its gone now so I take solace in that.
The Subway may be gone, but the faux-bread smell still lingers.
There is a small mall very close to Syracuse's campus with a Subway. The first time I was back on campus was nearly ten years after graduation. The entire building smelled the same as when I was a student.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:52 am
EnochRoot wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:38 am

Gumby's!! Gimme my Pokey Stix, dammit!

Other than the food boom here in the last few years, I've never heard of anyone referring to Tampa as some sort of food awakening destination.

Also, Tampa has way more MW than NYC transplants. Everyone just followed their respective interestates south. MW ended up on the Gulf coast, NE ended up on the Atlantic.
The Tampa I always knew had several NY-style pizza options wherever I lived or hung out: surrounding USF, down in Ybor, over in Hyde Park, hell even on Davis Islands). As for food awakening? I’m talking about leaving a newly incorporated area of Palm Beach Gardens, FL arriving to Tampa. No, Tampa will never be confused with a foodie destination (Antraniks, CDB Pizza RIP).

Back in the early 90s there were lots of NY transplants. Hence the Giants bars found on Bearss Avenue (Bobalouies) and Ybor (forget the name of it). Though there was a Bears bar down in Ybor too. Gun to my head, the # of kids from NY compared to IL who attended USF in the early 90s would’ve been at least 3:1.
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

RIP Antraniks. I should really get a tattoo of that, with letters in the shape of their phyllo dough baklava like pastry.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Antraniks was one of a kind. Obviously I visit old world bakeries and delis up here in Baltimore, but...damn Temple Terrace had themselves a legend in Antraniks.

(phyllo is so much healthier compared to puff pastries, too.)
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:01 pm (phyllo is so much healthier compared to puff pastries, too.)
Heh. I guess it’s true on a relative basis, but neither is what a dietitian would call “healthy”.
Last edited by sancarlos on Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:01 pm Antraniks was one of a kind. Obviously I visit old world bakeries and delis up here in Baltimore, but...damn Temple Terrace had themselves a legend in Antraniks.

Old World Cheese Shop and Mr. Dunderbak's as well.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:30 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:01 pm Antraniks was one of a kind. Obviously I visit old world bakeries and delis up here in Baltimore, but...damn Temple Terrace had themselves a legend in Antraniks.

At the University Mall! Damn dude. I haven't thought about that place in a long time. They moved though, right?
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:40 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:30 pm

At the University Mall! Damn dude. I haven't thought about that place in a long time. They moved though, right?
Yep, they're up Bruce B. Downs towards New Tampa, not that far north of the USF golf course. The ambience is a little different, but still a really good time.