The Important Sounds of Things Falling Apart

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Gunpowder
The Dude

Re: The Important Sounds of Things Falling Apart

Post by Gunpowder »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:58 pm You don't like what they're saying so they shouldn't be able to say it? Not sure about that logic. Quite sure scotus would say that type of ordinance rightfully requires greater scrutiny. And you're definitely barking up the wrong tree with his court .
Should I be able to tie somebody up in my basement and tell them my opinions? They aren't just saying "oh hey btw kids, this guy doesn't think you should be gay".
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:26 pm He's betting the law doesn't apply to him. Following the example set in the WH. He might be right.

He's certainly got the backers on the right...(and yes...that's Ricky Schroeder)
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The ending of "Taxi Driver" was oddly prophetic.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

That does it. I’m never watching Silver Spoons again!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

BRCC had to make an appearance in that thread to say they do not sponsor him.

But it would make sense if they did! Those Thank Me For My Service, Veteran Justice Warrior fuckbags.

Evan Hafer, the CEO, got his shit pushed in on a Reddit AMA years ago after they went after Starbucks to get brand awareness. He deleted everything he posted, but the AMA remains up to this day.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:36 pm BRCC had to make an appearance in that thread to say they do not sponsor him.
I read somewhere that the MyPillow dipshit contributed a bunch towards his bail.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

But Antifa!

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:52 pm But Antifa!

"This is America bro! Fucking America!"
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Oh....just someone who murdered 2 people drinking in a bar while wearing a shirt saying 'Free As Fuck'...

(and yes, he's 18, but in Wisconsin 18 year olds can drink in a bar if their parents are with them)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:08 pm

(and yes, he's 18, but in Wisconsin 18 year olds can drink in a bar if their parents are with them)
What?!?!? And of course, hanging out in a bar with no mask during a pandemic.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I genuinely don't know what thread to drop this in - but I am super interested in seeing if some of you all who are gamers think it makes as much sense as it appears to - in terms of explaining some of the Q'Anon popularity...

Here are the intro graphs...
I am a game designer with experience in a very small niche. I create and research games designed to be played in reality. I’ve worked in Alternate Reality Games (ARGs), LARPs, experience fiction, interactive theater, and “serious games”. Stories and games that can start on a computer, and finish in the real world. Fictions designed to feel as real as possible. Games that teach you. Puzzles that come to life all around the players. Games where the deeper you dig, the more you find. Games with rabbit holes that invite you into wonderland and entice you through the looking glass.
When I saw QAnon, I knew exactly what it was and what it was doing. I had seen it before. I had almost built it before. It was gaming’s evil twin. A game that plays people. (cue ominous music)

QAnon has often been compared to ARGs and LARPs and rightly so. It uses many of the same gaming mechanisms and rewards. It has a game-like feel to it that is evident to anyone who has ever played an ARG, online role-play (RP) or LARP before. The similarities are so striking that it has often been referred to as a LARP or ARG. However this beast is very very different from a game.
It is the differences that shed the light on how QAnon works and many of them are hard to see if you’re not involved in game development. QAnon is like the reflection of a game in a mirror, it looks just like one, but it is inverted.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:09 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:08 pm

What?!?!? And of course, hanging out in a bar with no mask during a pandemic.
Its even worse...

Kyle Rittenhouse flashed hate symbols, posed with Proud Boys in a Wisconsin bar, prosecutors say
Shortly after pleading not guilty to murder and weapons charges earlier this month, Kyle Rittenhouse showed up at a bar in Mount Pleasant, Wis., clad in a T-shirt that said “Free as F---,” prosecutors said. Then the 18-year-old allegedly drank three beers, posed for photos with members of Proud Boys and flashed a “white power” hand sign.

The excursion raised red flags for prosecutors handling the state’s case against Rittenhouse, who is charged with fatally shooting two men and wounding a third during an August protest following the police shooting of a Black man in Kenosha, Wis.

On Wednesday, the Kenosha County District Attorney’s Office asked a judge to forbid Rittenhouse from drinking alcohol, using “white supremacist” signs and spending time with members of the Proud Boys, a male-chauvinist group with ties to white nationalism.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

fascinating article... but maybe 2/3 of the way through i just got too fucking upset and couldn't finish.

tennbengal wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:07 pm I genuinely don't know what thread to drop this in - but I am super interested in seeing if some of you all who are gamers think it makes as much sense as it appears to - in terms of explaining some of the Q'Anon popularity...

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

MaxWebster wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:15 am fascinating article... but maybe 2/3 of the way through i just got too fucking upset and couldn't finish.

tennbengal wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:07 pm I genuinely don't know what thread to drop this in - but I am super interested in seeing if some of you all who are gamers think it makes as much sense as it appears to - in terms of explaining some of the Q'Anon popularity...

It...it explains so much. And it is as dystopian as I could possibly imagine. And real. Yeah, super upsetting.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:00 pm
EdRomero wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:53 pm That is very well said..and it's an argument that's been made for a long time; I hope it gets somewhere but I'm worried it will turn into Trump and company saying that when a criminal is attacking you, the Democrats will send a social worker out to talk about feelings.
That is what they'll say but what it comes down to is the same thing that drives everything about the conservative mindset - fear.

Republicans/conservatives are afraid of everything. The obsession with guns and protection and projection, fear of women, fear of black people being seen the same as them and not having the satifaction of being able to look down on blacks or LGBT people, etc.

This is as good a place as any for this.

I failed today at being an ally. And it was because I was absolutely gobsmacked that it even came up. Had to run a vehicle to the service department across town. Naturally this takes two people and I was with our receptionist for the ride back. She's always been a perfectly pleasant lady. Absolutely inoffensive in every way. But then, just as we were getting back to the office, we were speaking about mass transit (she had asked about my daughter in Boston and if she had a car) and she mentioned that she was in Washington DC and hated the metro (or whatever they call it) a couple of years back. Out of the blue, she says, "and it was the day after the LGBTHGTV whatever parade so there's a bunch of queers walking around all over the place...and I hope you don't have anyone like that in your family... and riding the metro so we just used uber from then on"

we were almost in the elevator by then and I was behind her but I was crestfallen at the attitude and now I feel so very small that I didn't stand up for my Trans child nor my non-binary child. I failed, and I need to be better.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:23 pm
EdRomero wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:53 pm That is very well said..and it's an argument that's been made for a long time; I hope it gets somewhere but I'm worried it will turn into Trump and company saying that when a criminal is attacking you, the Democrats will send a social worker out to talk about feelings.
That is what they'll say but what it comes down to is the same thing that drives everything about the conservative mindset - fear.

Republicans/conservatives are afraid of everything. The obsession with guns and protection and projection, fear of women, fear of black people being seen the same as them and not having the satifaction of being able to look down on blacks or LGBT people, etc.

I failed today at being an ally. And it was because I was absolutely gobsmacked that it even came up. Had to run a vehicle to the service department across town. Naturally this takes two people and I was with our receptionist for the ride back. She's always been a perfectly pleasant lady. Absolutely inoffensive in every way. But then, just as we were getting back to the office, we were speaking about mass transit (she had asked about my daughter in Boston and if she had a car) and she mentioned that she was in Washington DC and hated the metro (or whatever they call it) a couple of years back. Out of the blue, she says, "and it was the day after the LGBTHGTV whatever parade so there's a bunch of queers walking around all over the place...and I hope you don't have anyone like that in your family... and riding the metro so we just used uber from then on"

we were almost in the elevator by then and I was behind her but I was crestfallen at the attitude and now I feel so very small that I didn't stand up for my Trans child nor my non-binary child. I failed, and I need to be better.
Ugh. I understand how you feel, but don't beat yourself up too hard. It is so difficult to respond when something like that comes at you right out of the blue. Especially where it comes from someone you're friendly with but not friendly enough with that you feel comfortable going into personal stuff with.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

You’re well within the allotted timeframe to return to write her an email about her behavior, and how it affected you personally. People like that lack empathy. Put a face on it for her. And, depending how she responds, report her to Human Resources.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A_B wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:23 pmwe were almost in the elevator by then and I was behind her but I was crestfallen at the attitude and now I feel so very small that I didn't stand up for my Trans child nor my non-binary child. I failed, and I need to be better.
Given that your children weren't there, I wouldn't say you failed especially since it came out of nowhere. I also wouldn't blame you if you pulled her aside at some point and tried to see if she's the type of person who can feel completely awful over something they previously said.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:28 pm

Ugh. I understand how you feel, but don't beat yourself up too hard. It is so difficult to respond when something like that comes at you right out of the blue. Especially where it comes from someone you're friendly with but not friendly enough with that you feel comfortable going into personal stuff with.
Sorry, AB. I feel for ya. What Steve said.

I just spent a week with my parents, biting my tongue a fair bit of the time instead of voicing my disagreement, so as to keep things pleasant. Not the same thing as your situation, but I get where you are coming from.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yeah, I don't think we all have to be ready to fight for our beliefs at every moment, particularly when you're talking about someone you work with.

You didn't fail anyone.

If it's eating at you, and I can see why it would, I think you could certainly tell her "you know, I do actually have trans and non-binary people in my family." You certainly don't need to talk about your kids to this woman, but it's amazing how many people actually change their views when they know someone affected by their bigotry.
Totally Kafkaesque
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I feel like I 'fail' every time some casual hatred manifests itself like that.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

P.D.X. wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:38 pm I feel like I 'fail' every time some casual hatred manifests itself like that.
Yep. Being generally quiet/non-confrontational feeds into this.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Gonna have my first drink in a month in your honor. You’re a great dad.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

It's really hard to have something ready to say in response to that. I know that feeling. You can't be perfect.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Don't beat yourself up, man. In the moment you couldn't have possibly been ready for that kind of comment.

And anything you would've said in response would have been treated as though *you* were in the wrong and gotten you in trouble. Trust me. Take it from the dude with the short temper and foul mouth, you did everything right.

And now that you've had time to digest it, you can react to it in a calm and professional way. And you won't get in trouble.

I think being an ally, to a greater extent, means to educate and de-escalate. As good it would feel to get up in someone's face and go off righteously, it gets you nothing in the end.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I think that woman has created the very definition of a hostile work environment.

Throw the book at her.
Noli Timere Messorem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:40 pm I think that woman has created the very definition of a hostile work environment.

Throw the book at her.
You aren't wrong. I've done dozens of investigations with much, much less egregious comments. I totally understand why you are beating yourself up, but man, you just don't expect to hear that kind of blatant bigotry. In the moment, I probably would have let it go depending on my relationship with the person. For the most part, you would have gained nothing out of saying anything to her. You likely aren't going to change her mind. Maybe you make her think before she spouts off hate speech next time, but man, sorry you had to go through that. People suck.
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

It fucking sucks, because AB has to be that person who called her out on that. That in itself creates mistrust in the workplace.

Damn man.
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A brutal situation, I feel for you.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I appreciate it fellas. I’m not going to call her out. But I certainly won’t be the same person around her. Will
Keep my distance.

I still feel small but this is the first time it’s come up in day to day life. Our closest friends know what’s up. And some family. But to just be smacked in the face was hard. Talked with my wife a bit tonight and she echoes what you have all said.

But I do think at some point I have to be more of an ally even if this wasn’t the situation.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

We could Camero her regarding any upcoming fictitious marches she might be spearheading for the LGBTQ+ community of Lexington.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Sorry you had to go through that AB, and I echo the earlier sentiments. You're an awesome Dad for being so supportive about this for your child.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:43 am Sorry you had to go through that AB, and I echo the earlier sentiments. You're an awesome Dad for being so supportive about this for your child.
This is the best point. Just by accepting your kids for who they are and supporting them being their true selves, that is just enormous.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

What's it gonna take for this guy to be in prison?

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

More melanin.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

So does the fascist coffee company lose the bail they put up for him?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:52 pm So does the fascist coffee company lose the bail they put up for him?
I think so.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:52 pm So does the fascist coffee company lose the bail they put up for him?
And Ricky Schroeder, and the MyPillow jackass.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Did Black Rifle help post his bond? I remember they had to distance themselves after he was wearing their shirt.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:01 pm Did Black Rifle help post his bond? I remember they had to distance themselves after he was wearing their shirt.
Yeah, he wore their shirt, they disavowed supporting him.
-Pruitt