Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Re: Movies

Post by phxgators »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:48 pm We watched 'Tenet' last night....

Looked great...fun actors...but absolutely could not follow it at all. And we followed the advice I saw somewhere online to watch with the subtitles on. Didn't help.

And wow....Elizabeth Debecki is really tall (6' 3")!
Watched it last night too, had the same reaction. Kind of just gave up following along about 2/3 of the way through.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

phxgators wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:47 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:48 pm We watched 'Tenet' last night....

Looked great...fun actors...but absolutely could not follow it at all. And we followed the advice I saw somewhere online to watch with the subtitles on. Didn't help.

Watched it last night too, had the same reaction. Kind of just gave up following along about 2/3 of the way through.
The lack of 'rules' with the backwards time stuff drove my GF crazy. Afterwards, we tried to think of movies that did time travel right...only ones we could think of was Back to the Future and the first 2 Terminator movies.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:02 pm

The lack of 'rules' with the backwards time stuff drove my GF crazy. Afterwards, we tried to think of movies that did time travel right...only ones we could think of was Back to the Future and the first 2 Terminator movies.
Also Primer.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Didn’t Back to the Future have people fading away in a photo? I thought that didn’t make sense.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:15 pm

Didn’t Back to the Future have people fading away in a photo? I thought that didn’t make sense.
and of course Bill & Ted, the greatest time travel movie of all time.....except for the fact their is no way they could have cleaned the house, gotten to the mall, broke out of jail the short time they had before the big presentation. But that flaw had nothing to do with time travel.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:28 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:15 pm

and of course Bill & Ted, the greatest time travel movie of all time.....except for the fact their is no way they could have cleaned the house, gotten to the mall, broke out of jail the short time they had before the big presentation. But that flaw had nothing to do with time travel.
Is this where I admit that I've never seen Bill & Ted?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The correct answer is....

well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Gonna call this guy on DiS for opining on Hollywood time travel movies without ever seeing B&T.
JCVD-Van-Damme-Timecop.jpg
JCVD-Van-Damme-Timecop.jpg (34.65 KiB) Viewed 1006 times
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

So... Watching another batch of somewhat random movies.

Gemini Man - Will Smith vehicle.. Got panned by the critics, 85 percent from audience. I'm fully enjoying it. Not a bad way to spend a couple hours.

Mute - Paul Rudd and a Saarsgard is a trippy sci fi, dark ass movie. Thumbs up.

The Wave - Justin Long and Donald Faison... Trippy plot about a lawyer trying to have a night out, takes a weird drug, and... The Universe gets all up in his shit. I liked it, but I'm a Justin mark.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Saw them filming Gemini Man in old town Cartegena, Colombia but still haven’t bothered to see it yet. Probably should.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Bill & Ted is just a fun, enjoyable movie. Hard to believe a Swamper hasn’t seen it (other than those weirdos who don’t like movies).
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Watched soul. Liked it. But it didn’t move me the way it did some of the reviewers I saw. Fine but down the Pixar list for me.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A_B wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:43 pm Watched soul. Liked it. But it didn’t move me the way it did some of the reviewers I saw. Fine but down the Pixar list for me.
Couldn't agree more.

Good, but second tier.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Watching Massacre in Dinosaur Valley (Brazil, 1985) so you guys don't have to.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Is it Mystery Science Theater level bad?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:24 am Is it Mystery Science Theater level bad?
With boobs. win/win
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Shirley wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:23 pm Bill & Ted is just a fun, enjoyable movie. Hard to believe a Swamper hasn’t seen it (other than those weirdos who don’t like movies).
I haven't. It's in the DVR. I'll get around to it sometime.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So Just watched In & Of Itself (Hulu). That was very very good.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

P.D.X. wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:36 am
Pruitt wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:24 am Is it Mystery Science Theater level bad?
With boobs. win/win
Twitch has a 24/7 MST3K channel. I love it.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

Just finished my round of movies for the four titans that have recently passed. I am Reaper after all.

These are (one of) their Oscar nomination and/or winning films.
Cloris Leachman in The Last Picture Show
Cicely Tyson in Sounder
Hal Holbrook in Into the Wild
Christopher Plummer in All the Money in the World

Really interesting how story telling in movies has changed in the last 50 years
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:37 am
Shirley wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:23 pm Bill & Ted is just a fun, enjoyable movie. Hard to believe a Swamper hasn’t seen it (other than those weirdos who don’t like movies).
I haven't. It's in the DVR. I'll get around to it sometime.
Bill & Ted, Holy Grail, Top Secret, Wierd Science are the movies I watched continually my last two years of high school...loved them and video stores in towns of 3000 are shite in the 80s. That said Bill & Ted are just good entertainment. It may be lost on people that didn't watch it at the age you're supposed to, but you can probably tie it in with the movies that were made at the time that you have seen.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Reaper wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:17 am Just finished my round of movies for the four titans that have recently passed. I am Reaper after all.

Cicely Tyson in Sounder

How so?

I haven't really thought about it, but I'm thinking that editing techniques have led to shorter scenes.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

Pruitt wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:48 am
Reaper wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:17 am Just finished my round of movies for the four titans that have recently passed. I am Reaper after all.

Cicely Tyson in Sounder

How so?

I haven't really thought about it, but I'm thinking that editing techniques have led to shorter scenes.
Maybe it's the movies I ended up watching, but I felt like with LPS and Sounder, it was here's what happened in this small town during this year; these are the little struggles the people go through. They were both fine movies, but maybe I'm part of the short-attention-span generation, because they didn't captivate me like the two newer ones did. As you mentioned above, some of the scenes were long and drawn out with not much happening. Even with Into the Wild, while they let the great, wide open and the Alaskan landscape tell some of the story, it never seemed like it dragged.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Reaper wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:48 am

Cicely Tyson in Sounder

How so?

Maybe it's the movies I ended up watching, but I felt like with LPS and Sounder, it was here's what happened in this small town during this year; these are the little struggles the people go through. They were both fine movies, but maybe I'm part of the short-attention-span generation, because they didn't captivate me like the two newer ones did. As you mentioned above, some of the scenes were long and drawn out with not much happening. Even with Into the Wild, while they let the great, wide open and the Alaskan landscape tell some of the story, it never seemed like it dragged.
I think that in recent decades, the “little struggles” stories are more likely to be on TV, while movies are more likely to involve grand spectacle.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

Rush2112 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:48 am
Bill & Ted, Holy Grail, Top Secret, Wierd Science are the movies I watched continually my last two years of high school...loved them and video stores in towns of 3000 are shite in the 80s. That said Bill & Ted are just good entertainment. It may be lost on people that didn't watch it at the age you're supposed to, but you can probably tie it in with the movies that were made at the time that you have seen.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Just watched Holy Grail for the first time in probably 15 years or so. Still love every minute of it.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

P.D.X. wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:41 pm Just watched Holy Grail for the first time in probably 15 years or so. Still love every minute of it.
Still my all-time favorite.

If you ever go to Scotland, do the Doune Castle tour. (If you haven't done that already.)
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:25 pm

Cicely Tyson in Sounder

How so?

I think that in recent decades, the “little struggles” stories are more likely to be on TV, while movies are more likely to involve grand spectacle.
This I definitely agree with.

Also, Sounder is the name of the family dog. The movie is not about the dog. This confused me.
Oh, and Sheriff Charlie Young is played by James Best, known more for playing another sheriff a few years later, one Roscoe P. Coltrane.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:03 pm
P.D.X. wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:41 pm Just watched Holy Grail for the first time in probably 15 years or so. Still love every minute of it.

If you ever go to Scotland, do the Doune Castle tour. (If you haven't done that already.)
Definitely. Doune is a great little castle, and one of the MP troupe narrates the audio tour.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

govmentchedda wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:45 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:03 pm

Definitely. Doune is a great little castle, and one of the MP troupe narrates the audio tour.
Terry Jones. With two audio streams, one about the castle and one about the film.

I think the castle was briefly used as a set for Outlander too.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:16 pm So Just watched In & Of Itself (Hulu). That was very very good.
Just finished it myself...totally agree.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Cicely Tyson in Sounder

How so?

Maybe it’s the bias of age, but I dislike the fact that storytelling is often replaced by spectacle in films nowadays.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I really liked The Little Things. For one, I'm a sucker for neo-noir, so that's right in my wheelhouse. Denzel was tremendous as always and I thought Malek was better than some people thought. I agree that's not a role he's necessarily well-suited for but I bought him as a detective and right there is half the battle.

I appreciated that the plot kind of
[+] spoiler
took a left turn and didn't turn into some formulamatic hunting a serial killer mismatched buddy cop crap.
Shows that there's some originality out there left in Hollywood at least.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Completely off the subject, but last night my wife and I watched the old chestnut, The Philadelphia Story, starring Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn, and Jimmy Stewart.

I giggled when I saw and remembered that Katherine Hepburn’s character’s name was Tracy Lords.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:58 pm I really liked The Little Things. For one, I'm a sucker for neo-noir, so that's right in my wheelhouse. Denzel was tremendous as always and I thought Malek was better than some people thought. I agree that's not a role he's necessarily well-suited for but I bought him as a detective and right there is half the battle.

I appreciated that the plot kind of
[+] spoiler
took a left turn and didn't turn into some formulamatic hunting a serial killer mismatched buddy cop crap.
Shows that there's some originality out there left in Hollywood at least.
I liked it. It wasn’t superb but solid. No issues with malek here.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:21 pm Maybe it’s the bias of age, but I dislike the fact that storytelling is often replaced by spectacle in films nowadays.
I don’t know. It seems like a logical division of labor. Stories can be told on TV. Movies might as well take advantage of the big screen and 3-D and earth-shaking sound systems.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:45 pm Completely off the subject, but last night my wife and I watched the old chestnut, The Philadelphia Story, starring Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn, and Jimmy Stewart.

I giggled when I saw and remembered that Katherine Hepburn’s character’s name was Tracy Lords.
I watched that a couple of times with my late mother - one of her favourite movies.

And it really is great.

Maybe I'll watch another old chestnut - All About Eve tonight.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Pruitt wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:36 pm
sancarlos wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:45 pm Completely off the subject, but last night my wife and I watched the old chestnut, The Philadelphia Story, starring Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn, and Jimmy Stewart.

I watched that a couple of times with my late mother - one of her favourite movies.

And it really is great.

Maybe I'll watch another old chestnut - All About Eve tonight.
I like that one, too. Bette Davis at her bitchiest. George Sanders at his bitchiest, too.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Looking forward to watching Nomadland this weekend after it premieres on Hulu. From the sounds of it, Frances McDormand might join Daniel Day-Lewis as the only people with three Best Actor/Actress Oscars.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

That's a great movie.