Donny

Re: The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Post by EdRomero »

Getting into Sours, especially after runs. This was great:
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:36 pm Nugget nectar here, speaking of seasonals.
You got me hooked on Nugget Nectar releases, but I haven't had one in probably 5 years. I always get a wave of nostalgia when I see it hit the shelves, but the last time I had it, it's just so meh to me now. Same with Hopslam. When it first hit NY, before it was available in NJ, I would make my parents buy a sixer for me and one for my buddy from Indiana who pined for it. It's good, and I still like it, but I don't want a sixer. If I could get a single bottle, I'd buy it. It also falls off so fast. You have like a 3 week window on Hopslam. It was funny watching my father, who doesn't drink much and doesn't like hoppy beers, gag on a sip of Hopslam.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"Its still meh compared to most stuff out there now, but nothing says "its almost April" more than the Nugget Nectar release." - Me, circa 2013

The one I had this year was solid relative to itself, not as bad as ~4 years ago when it tanked out but not as good as whenever it rebounded, atleast in my mind. Its more of a ritual than something I love at this point, breaks up what I usually have.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:41 am "Its still meh compared to most stuff out there now, but nothing says "its almost April" more than the Nugget Nectar release." - Me, circa 2013

The one I had this year was solid relative to itself, not as bad as ~4 years ago when it tanked out but not as good as whenever it rebounded, atleast in my mind. Its more of a ritual than something I love at this point, breaks up what I usually have.
Problem is, it came out the same time as HopSlam and Stone's Black IPA, which I don't think they've made for years, and I made a run to Magnify, who have a bunch of really interesting cans and bottles out right now.

In NJ specific news, Other Half is now distributing to NJ. And have you tried Source Brewing yet? A couple of my friends are obsessed with them, haven't had any yet.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I truly don't like Hopslam and, weirdly, I was just asking about Stone about a week ago. Just seemingly disappeared from the area, not sure if its choice or production.

Magnify: I'm convinced Magnify has one of those distinct water or yeast deals like Brooklyn or Dogfish where certain people love them and everyone else doesn't get it.

Source: Haven't had but have heard good things. They don't ship at all, right?

Other Half: Also heard about this but I don't think its happened yet?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:31 pm I truly don't like Hopslam and, weirdly, I was just asking about Stone about a week ago. Just seemingly disappeared from the area, not sure if its choice or production.

Magnify: I'm convinced Magnify has one of those distinct water or yeast deals like Brooklyn or Dogfish where certain people love them and everyone else doesn't get it.

Source: Haven't had but have heard good things. They don't ship at all, right?

Other Half: Also heard about this but I don't think its happened yet?
I don't like Hopslam super fresh, then it gets good, then the hops fade and its bitter and malty. It's a weird one. It's like the malt, honey and hops are only in balance for 3 weeks.

I'm guessing you don't like Magnify? I've been a few times, and it's a mixed bag for me. My daughter's soccer practices are about 15 minutes away, so I made a trip. Their IPAs rely too much on cryo. I loved that at first, but it's getting old. Other Half was the first I had, and it blew my mind. Magnify was accessible and similar, though not nearly as good. I hear their sours are great, and I picked up a smoothie-style sour yesterday, along with a s'mores milk stout, and an imperial milk stout aged on bananas and 'Nilla Wafers, then aged in rum and bourbon barrels for a year. Could be interesting.

I heard Gary's in Bernardsville is already carrying Other Half.

Speaking of disappearing from the area, I haven't seen any Firestone Walker's Vintage releases in the past year. I love them, and burned through my stockpile during quarantine. Not sure if stores went back to hiding them, or if they drastically cut back on distributing to NJ. I checked their website, and they only show a very small number of stores carrying the Vintage series. Disappointing.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I'm not sure about their footprint, but Hermit Thrush Brewing has some excellent sours.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:12 pm Stone's Black IPA, which I don't think they've made for years
It's back.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:10 pm
The Sybian wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:12 pm Stone's Black IPA, which I don't think they've made for years
It's back.
I meant to say I picked up a sixer before my trip to the brewery, so I skipped the others. As I mentioned a while back, I love black IPAs, and nobody makes them anymore. I was able to pick up Carton's annual Black Friday release of a DDH Imperial black ale called Epitome. Absolutely love that beer. I read that black IPAs are making a comeback, hoping it's true. Firestone Walker is making Wookey Jack again, one of my all-time favorites, but it seems like they are only selling it at their locations.

Hermit Thrush sells in NJ, been looking at their sours on the shelf, will have to give them a try. You talked me into trying more sours, I listened, and now I love them.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Didn't even hear about that. I think the only thing more annoying than the hoarders who will buy to sell is the people who feel like they were owed a chance to buy and fuck with the brewery.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:01 pm I meant to say I picked up a sixer before my trip to the brewery, so I skipped the others.

Hermit Thrush sells in NJ, been looking at their sours on the shelf, will have to give them a try. You talked me into trying more sours, I listened, and now I love them.
Ah, reading that while I was still in the morning coffee and I slept way too much last night so I was out of it until I was on my second cup.
I never really got into Cascadian IPAs, chocolate malt and hops aren't my thing.

Funny the Vermont Pub and Brewery claims to have brewed the first one, before the breweries in the PNW picked them up, then John Kimmich decided to whirlpool some hops and black IPAs go the way of the Dodo. Start brewing examples and bring it back!

Glad you like sours, I am also glad that the scene went away from the pucker inducing ones that curdle your last 3 meals in your stomach. I've had a couple Hermit Thrush beers..I remember the barleywine being phenomenal.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:48 pm
The Sybian wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:01 pm I meant to say I picked up a sixer before my trip to the brewery, so I skipped the others.

Ah, reading that while I was still in the morning coffee and I slept way too much last night so I was out of it until I was on my second cup.
I never really got into Cascadian IPAs, chocolate malt and hops aren't my thing.

Funny the Vermont Pub and Brewery claims to have brewed the first one, before the breweries in the PNW picked them up, then John Kimmich decided to whirlpool some hops and black IPAs go the way of the Dodo. Start brewing examples and bring it back!

Glad you like sours, I am also glad that the scene went away from the pucker inducing ones that curdle your last 3 meals in your stomach. I've had a couple Hermit Thrush beers..I remember the barleywine being phenomenal.
Barleywine is my favorite, and they are so hard to find, especially a good English style. At least with local breweries, the "smoothie" or heavily fruited sour is the latest craze. I picked one up at a local brewery (Untied, Mr. D. I know, but I pass it my walks) and it's more daquiri than beer. Pouring it, the bottom of the can is so thick with fruit puree, its like a smoothie consistency. Strawberry, raspberry with lime, slightly sour. It's barely a beer, but I really like it. Picked up a smoothie sour from another local (Magnify), but haven't tried it yet.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Hey this Hopslam is pretty good...hits vape....I should put on some Yes.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

I, too, celebrated Drynuar...two-or-three-weeks, then saw Nugget Nectar on the shelf. It's been nice. Similar to D, it makes me feel nostalgic for the beer scene of 10 years ago, if that's even possible.

Also bought some Helltown, from Mt. Pleasant, PA. (Rass probably knows Mt. Pleasant since he has a history in that area.) I've had three of their IPAs, all between 6-7%, and they're perfect. Absolutely effing perfect. Some of the best beers I've ever had. You can find great beer anywhere these days.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Taking my first stab at making a stout. It's a coffee stout, I think it's a clone of Founder's Breakfast stout. They say it's modeled after a famous Breakfast Stout from across the pond. I don't know of any English beers that call themselves a breakfast stout, so maybe whoever wrote that is English? I used a liquid yeast for the first time, and didn't get much (if any) bag inflation, but I pitched it anyways. Just transferred to secondary, so I was able to steal some to measure, and I'm above 5.5% ABV, so something is working. The recipe with this yeast calls for around 6.5%. I don't know how much more alcohol I'll get in secondary or bottling, but I'm guessing I fall a little short of that mark. Took a sip, and it's a bit yeasty and flat (as expected), but the coffee comes through really nicely and it's got a good stout flavor. I'm optimistic. Should be ready in 3-6 weeks.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The wife had to pick up something in the town of Los Gatos the other day. I accompanied her, knowing that an excellent brewery, Loma Brewing, is right downtown. She consented to a stop to drink a pint and pick up a four pack.

Tribesmen alert! They have a very tasty hazy IPA that they call Jew Jitsu. I'm sure it is some kind of inside joke, but don't ask me.

ImageImage
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

That’s Youkilis’s brewery.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Ryan wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:27 pm That’s Youkilis’s brewery.
The Greek God of On Base Percentage owns a brewery in Los Gatos? Wow, if I knew that I would have looked for him.

ETA: "The Greek God of Walks". My mistake above. (And, he's Jewish, not Greek, which might explain the name of the beer noted in the prior post.)
Last edited by sancarlos on Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The man who broke baseball-reference.com.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:50 pm The man who broke baseball-reference.com.
Heh. I forgot about that.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

mister d wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:50 pm The man who broke baseball-reference.com.
First thing I think of every time I hear his name. And yeah, it's cool that he owns a brewery now.

Drinking a Great Divide Yeti, one of my go-to stouts. I'm reading Richard Burton's diaries, and alcohol is mentioned on almost every page. Even tho this Yeti is merely beer, I think it's heavy enough that Burton wouldn't dismiss it out of hand. (This book as every bit as bitchy and mean as I had hoped. And fun!)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

bapo! wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:09 pm
First thing I think of every time I hear his name. And yeah, it's cool that he owns a brewery now.

Drinking a Great Divide Yeti, one of my go-to stouts. I'm reading Richard Burton's diaries, and alcohol is mentioned on almost every page. Even tho this Yeti is merely beer, I think it's heavy enough that Burton wouldn't dismiss it out of hand. (This book as every bit as bitchy and mean as I had hoped. And fun!)
Great Divide was a go to for awhile, and I forgot about them. This is where the Untappt app is fun. Looks like I haven’t bought anything from them since 2015, and last drank an aged Ruffian barleywine in 2018. The years are just flying by.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I’m not sure my place even gets Great Divide. They were legit back in the day.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:48 pm I’m not sure my place even gets Great Divide. They were legit back in the day.
Where is your place? Went to BuyRite on 22 yesterday, they carry Other Half now! They are selling Equilibrium IPA 4-packs for $28. Why is Equilibrium so damned expensive?
-Pruitt
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Great Divide still distributes here. Still excellent.

Every once in a while, I'll remember a beer that I haven't seen in years. It's a tough business. Only so much shelf space to go around.

I saw Toppling Goliath for the first time last week. Didn't buy it because I was already spending too much money that day. Maybe next time. And Maine apparently distributes here now, too. As I've said a thousand times before, it's a great time to be a beer fan. It would be better if Maine sold anything other than those annoying single oversized bottles, but whatever.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Pseudo Sue is a fantastic beer.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:13 pmWhere is your place? Went to BuyRite on 22 yesterday, they carry Other Half now! They are selling Equilibrium IPA 4-packs for $28. Why is Equilibrium so damned expensive?
1. Wine Barrel on Springfield Ave.
2. Which Other Half?
3. Not sure, but the last ones I grabbed at Total Wine in West Orange were great.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

bapo! wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:14 pmIt would be better if Maine sold anything other than those annoying single oversized bottles, but whatever.
Drives me crazy but having been to their brewery in June 2019, I don't think they're hurting from that decision.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

If nothing else, the bottles are really pretty. A friend of a friend brought back some bottles after he went home to Maine last summer.

My municipality no longer recycles glass, so I'm just expected to throw bottles into the trash now. It physically pains me. Those Maine bottles ended up sitting on my windowsill for weeks until I finally parted with them.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Great Divide Barrel Bar in RiNo Denver is excellent. Lots of good pilots and the Yeti adjuncts. Also really close to about 5-6 other good to excellent breweries.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:14 am
The Sybian wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:13 pmWhere is your place? Went to BuyRite on 22 yesterday, they carry Other Half now! They are selling Equilibrium IPA 4-packs for $28. Why is Equilibrium so damned expensive?
1. Wine Barrel on Springfield Ave.
2. Which Other Half?
3. Not sure, but the last ones I grabbed at Total Wine in West Orange were great.
1.) Never been. Worth a trip, or just close to you?
2.) DDH Mosaic Dream and All Citra Everything. Both date stamped within 2 weeks of purchase.
3.) Only had one beer from Equilibrium, and it was decent, but nothing special. I have a friend who grew up near their brewery and he goes there a lot. According to him, they hired a brewer who used to work at Tree House, and his IPAs are extremely similar to Tree House.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

1 - They have by far the best selection around here but a lot of it sits in the back, not the window, and you either need to be known or ask permission to go back there because they want to avoid the seekers and hoarders.
2 - This might require a trip. All Citra is super.
3 - They're pretty close to my brother and the stuff I had early was nice, but not up to the hype. The last I had was really good, especially for sub 5%.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:05 pm 1 - They have by far the best selection around here but a lot of it sits in the back, not the window, and you either need to be known or ask permission to go back there because they want to avoid the seekers and hoarders.
2 - This might require a trip. All Citra is super.
3 - They're pretty close to my brother and the stuff I had early was nice, but not up to the hype. The last I had was really good, especially for sub 5%.
It's been so long since I've sought, I don't even know if the stores I go to hide the good stuff and I'm so out of the loop, I don't know when anything worth seeking is released. I'm probably 50% direct from brewery now, and there are always way more options on the shelf I want than I can justify buying, so I haven't asked for anything in at least 3 years. Most of my stores seemed to put the formerly hidden stuff our on shelves anyways, or just put one bottle out and replace it when you take one.
-Pruitt
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:19 am Pseudo Sue is a fantastic beer.
King Sue is awesome as well. We've had a Toppling Goliath get stocked locally in the past 2 months. Really expensive though.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

testuser2 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:55 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:19 am Pseudo Sue is a fantastic beer.
King Sue is awesome as well. We've had a Toppling Goliath get stocked locally in the past 2 months. Really expensive though.
Psuedo Sue is more my flavor profile for an IPA. I enjoy all the juicy, hazy NEIPAs, but I really love the citrus/pine combo. [And checking myself, Psuedo Sue is actually considered an APA, and 5.8%! Damn, they pack a hell of a lot of flavor in such a low ABV.] TG and 3 Floyds are both available in NJ now, and surprisingly very low priced. I keep seeing Zombie Dust on the shelf, and it's a beer I've been wanting to try for a decade. One of these days...
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:12 pm Get brewing Syb!
I need a Hop Rocket to infuse more aroma into my beer! I'm down to my final bottle of Black IPA, I'll definitely be making another one. I'm very intrigued by the idea of adding coffee to it. Going to use different beans for coffee to find the best pairing.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Looks like Boneyard and Deschutes are going to become some kind of joint venture.

Deschutes & Boneyard!
Yep, you read that right! We are so stoked to announce that Deschutes Brewery and Boneyard Beer are partnering up to keep pushing the possibilities of craft brewing. We’ve known the Boneyard folks forever--Tony, the founder, started with us back in the day--and we’ve long talked about joining forces. Well, now we’ve done it! Boneyard Beer is a PNW brewery also from Bend, OR established in 2010 by Deschutes Alumni Tony Lawrence. Best known for their amazing IPA like RPM, Boneyard has been primarily a draft brewery until recently when they began producing 12oz, 6-pack cans throughout Oregon.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »