The Pot Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: The Pot Thread

Post by brian »

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Dang, I could've visited had our plans not been canceled.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I don’t think pot works on me anymore. Seriously, I buy the highest THC the dispensary has and...nothing. I’ve been on a break since the end of July. Maybe I’ll go back to it at some point. Fuck 2020.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

bfj wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:04 am I don’t think pot works on me anymore. Seriously, I buy the highest THC the dispensary has and...nothing. I’ve been on a break since the end of July. Maybe I’ll go back to it at some point. Fuck 2020.
Edibles?
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Never been a fan. They don’t get me high. I think I developed a stupid high tolerance from all the years of use. I’m hoping that this long break will undo that. It wasn’t that hard to stop and I don’t miss it that much It just felt like a waste of money to buy these carts and get nothing out of them.

I’m drinking more, which I don’t like as much and it worries my wife.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

West Wendover, NV taking advantage of having the Salt Lake City weed market all to itself.

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Word is that the dispensaries in northwest Colorado do really well selling to peeps coming down from Utah.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Rush2112 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:32 pm Word is that the dispensaries in northwest Colorado do really well selling to peeps coming down from Utah.
Kinda like how fireworks stores in New Hampshire do gangbusters on customers from Massachusetts.

(Same with packie stores on Sundays.)

It's almost like people want to be free to do what they want.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rush2112 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:32 pm Word is that the dispensaries in northwest Colorado do really well selling to peeps coming down from Utah.
My hometown of Grand Junction is only 25 miles from the Utah border. But, the fucked themselves economically by banning dispensaries.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Having the dispensary open up in Wendover made things way convenient. It’s an hour and a half versus at least four-five hours to Colorado.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Drove through Dinosaur a couple weeks ago on a Saturday and there was a line 20+ people long...I was wondering why.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I'm very optimistic legalizing recreational use will pass the ballot initiative. I'm also getting the sense my town is going to pass an ordinance prohibiting sale in town. I think that would be a huge mistake, as the revenue could be a huge boon (and it'd be convenient for me). From what I've seen of dispensaries, they are really nice stores. Tons of letter to the editor and Facebook forum debates about banning sale in town, yet all the pro-banning people say they support legalizing, they just don't want druggies flooding our town or OMG, the children will suddenly have access! Lots of very well written arguments for allowing a dispensary in town. Apparently it was a hot topic at the Town Council debate. The Ds said they are in favor of a dispensary in town, while the Rs said they would put it up for a town referendum and go with popular vote. People are freaking that the Ds will open dispensaries regardless of the people's will, which is stupid for several reasons, but whatevs. I figure if statewide ballot initiative passes, its still going to be a year before its available.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:30 pm I'm very optimistic legalizing recreational use will pass the ballot initiative. I'm also getting the sense my town is going to pass an ordinance prohibiting sale in town. I think that would be a huge mistake, as the revenue could be a huge boon (and it'd be convenient for me). From what I've seen of dispensaries, they are really nice stores. Tons of letter to the editor and Facebook forum debates about banning sale in town, yet all the pro-banning people say they support legalizing, they just don't want druggies flooding our town or OMG, the children will suddenly have access! Lots of very well written arguments for allowing a dispensary in town. Apparently it was a hot topic at the Town Council debate. The Ds said they are in favor of a dispensary in town, while the Rs said they would put it up for a town referendum and go with popular vote. People are freaking that the Ds will open dispensaries regardless of the people's will, which is stupid for several reasons, but whatevs. I figure if statewide ballot initiative passes, its still going to be a year before its available.
Anyone pro or con dispensaries should really visit one before making a judgment. The absolute worst of them are still better than your average gas station/convenience store as far as exterior design and clientele. It's like turning down a bakery from operating in your town. It's idiotic. Most of the customers at the dispensary when I'm usually there (granted, usually around noon) are senior citizens (not even joking).
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yes, it’s ridiculous that I have to drive 20 miles south to San Jose or 20 miles north to San Francisco to get to a dispensary. But the nimby’s in the burbs are afraid of them.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:10 pm
My hometown of Grand Junction is only 25 miles from the Utah border. But, the fucked themselves economically by banning dispensaries.
My wife grew up in a town outside of Steamboat, it's slowly dying with the coal mining. Someone wanted to take some old warehouse or something and just have a growing operation to feed the various dispensaries. They voted against it. All the fuckers that'll hammer down a 30 rack of Curs Light then drive into town to get a bottle of Fireball for late-night...but ya weed is evil and endangers the kids.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Whoever was responsible for setting up the CO system needs to go around and help other states. Both MA and VT f'd up getting the revenue stream up and as robust as it should be by messing around or legalizing and then not having a good plan in place...like VT you can have..but can't fucking buy anywhere.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Heh. "Bakery." I see what you did there.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Sonics star Shawn Kemp opens cannabis store in Seattle
It’s been more than 20 years since Shawn Kemp played for the Seattle SuperSonics. But he still had hordes of fans lined up for blocks to see him and be among the first inside his new business.

Shawn Kemp’s Cannabis is the newest venture from “The Reign Man” and is backed by cannabis industry veteran partners Matt Schoenlein and Ramsey Hamide of Main Street Marijuana.

“This is a lot of responsibility, I didn’t just jump in to this” Kemp said. “I needed the right plan and the right partners for this. I have that and this is just the first of five locations that will be opening up pretty soon.”
The joke around here is that his new nickname should be 'Strain Man'.

And the mural on the side of building is great.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I've been enjoying edibles for the past little while, and was wondering if you guys have experience with gel caps.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

My retired buddy keeps telling me to hurry up and retire so that we can get high together. I'm trying to retire as fast as I can!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:40 pm I've been enjoying edibles for the past little while, and was wondering if you guys have experience with gel caps.
I don't. Florida just got cleared for edibles, and while I've had some in Vegas, and from friends bringing them back from California, I have never had gel caps. My wife swears by the nighttime, (Indica dominant), tincture, and she likes the newest gummies that my local place now offers. I prefer their hard candy.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Just realized the strain I'm smoking is "Patrick Roy".
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Last week I donated blood (double red cell). A nurse was asking me some boilerplate questions prior to hooking me up.

Her: ... Do you smoke?
Me: Not tobacco, but pot once in a while.
Her: (digressing from script) Nothing wrong with that. What method do you use?
Me: I use a vape pen.
Her: A bong is the best way.
Me: Ha ha. Is that your professional opinion?
Her: Ha ha. It’s my personal opinion! (gets back to boilerplate questions)...
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Speaking of vapes I got The Kind Pen on recommendations here. I recently bought new cartridges and one of the two didn't work. The dispensary was kind enough to replace, but the new batch also has one that doesn't seem to work. They're the same brand. I did some googling, but the only "solution" didn't work, it was for a different type of heat exchanger (the piece that makes contact to the battery) the one that doesn't work has a solid heat exchanger.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Not about weed, but it seemed the best place to drop this

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Cops getting rolled and smoked in the comments:

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:37 pm Cops getting rolled and smoked in the comments:

I'm all for legalization and 100% know the War on Drugs was a racist in intent and application, but as they frame the legislation (I haven't read the actual text), cops can be criminally prosecuted for using the smell of alcohol as reasonable suspicion to conduct a search. That's insane. If a minor is drinking or smoking pot, that is a crime. While I don't want to see kids arrested, I do want cops to step in and take drugs and booze away from kids, or make sue they are safe. Not to mention a traffic stop if a cop smells booze in a car or on the driver, does this mean they can't search the car for booze or test or question if the driver drunk? The NJ legislature had the votes to legalize recreational marijuana years ago, but infighting among Dems over specific issues (how much tax, where tax funds get allocated, dispensary laws...) have kept them from passing anything, so this is no surprise. I'll be shocked if recreational sales commence in 2021.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The NJ legislature had the votes to legalize recreational marijuana years ago, but infighting among Dems over specific issues (how much tax, where tax funds get allocated, dispensary laws...) have kept them from passing anything, so this is no surprise. I'll be shocked if recreational sales commence in 2021.
Mass and VT had troubles as well. I don't know why Colorado's legislation isn't used. It's a great system has raised tons of money for schools and as far as I know, hasn't led to any problems.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:55 pm
Johnnie wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:37 pm Cops getting rolled and smoked in the comments:

I'm all for legalization and 100% know the War on Drugs was a racist in intent and application, but as they frame the legislation (I haven't read the actual text), cops can be criminally prosecuted for using the smell of alcohol as reasonable suspicion to conduct a search. That's insane. If a minor is drinking or smoking pot, that is a crime. While I don't want to see kids arrested, I do want cops to step in and take drugs and booze away from kids, or make sue they are safe. Not to mention a traffic stop if a cop smells booze in a car or on the driver, does this mean they can't search the car for booze or test or question if the driver drunk? The NJ legislature had the votes to legalize recreational marijuana years ago, but infighting among Dems over specific issues (how much tax, where tax funds get allocated, dispensary laws...) have kept them from passing anything, so this is no surprise. I'll be shocked if recreational sales commence in 2021.
I think the problem arises when they say they smell it but that’s just for their paperwork to get started on the harassin’
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Thought I was out but found an old cart in my laptop bag. Need to find someone down here who sells but it’s not a huge priority.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

You just rollin international with extra carts floating around baggage? Glad u made it. Are carts a thing there? If not trouble maybe just go homegrown? Tough spot. Guess you're learning the culture but weed and mexico seems like old times in the chi high rise. Lil nervy for a smoke.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:15 pm You just rollin international with extra carts floating around baggage? Glad u made it. Are carts a thing there? If not trouble maybe just go homegrown? Tough spot. Guess you're learning the culture but weed and mexico seems like old times in the chi high rise. Lil nervy for a smoke.
Nah you smell it everywhere here on the street. The Mexican legislature is legalizing it next week. Could be actual weed shops open by end of the year. It’s embarrassing to the US that even a conservative country like Mexico is so far ahead of the Americans at this point.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I left all of mine at my Mom's in the Austin area. That's going to be a fun trip back tonight!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Is your mom cool with it being at her house?

Funny thing. For most of my life, my parents were raging on the front lines of the war on drugs - went ballistic when my little brother got busted with pot when he was in high school. But now, my mother has been converted to the health benefit of cannabis. So now when I visit, my mother asks if I brought my vape pen. (Father is still unreconstructed on the issue.)
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I mean, probably not, but she knows it's a losing battle. I sat them down a couple years ago to explain to them how much this really helps me and how once my wife accepted it, it's really made a positive difference in my life. Now her main concern is that I don't vape.

I really could wait until this weekend since she is coming here (I have to buy more anyway), but I'm not going to ask her to travel with it nor do I want one of her friends finding it. So, a lot of jams for 6 hours later today! Got a nice Widespread show queued up for impromptu 1/2 day.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'm hoping like hell all of the regulatory stuff in Mexico is through by this summer and stores are allowed to open this fall (the free market in Mexico is no joke, people here are so capitalist it makes the US look like North Korea). But those investing need to be convinced the government is really going to stay out of the way. Once that happens, the floodgates will open. Wouldn't be surprised to see $50 (high-ish quality) ounces here eventually (depending on where the government lands on taxes).
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Gonna be high comedy if Morocco legalizes weed before the US does. ('Medical', but still.)
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Happy to get to buy some legally tomorrow.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Woo-Hoo!

Dispensaries moving 50 miles closer. Plus the drive to Evanston is way nicer than the drive to Wendover.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2021/03/16/ ... es-closer/
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.