Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Movies

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:36 pm Looking forward to watching Nomadland this weekend after it premieres on Hulu. From the sounds of it, Frances McDormand might join Daniel Day-Lewis as the only people with three Best Actor/Actress Oscars.
Same.

Finished trial of the Chicago 7. I didn't mind it. Not as Sorkiny as usual. Borat did a great job. Rylance and Redmayne usual top tier stuff.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:36 pm Looking forward to watching Nomadland this weekend after it premieres on Hulu. From the sounds of it, Frances McDormand might join Daniel Day-Lewis as the only people with three Best Actor/Actress Oscars.
"To be the champ, you've got to beat the champ."

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Nominated 12 times. Every one for Best Actress. I guess you didn't hire Kate to play second fiddle.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I was going to point out Meryl Streep, but her win for Kramer vs. Kramer was as a supporting. I've never seen it; was her role really supporting in it?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:51 am I was going to point out Meryl Streep, but her win for Kramer vs. Kramer was as a supporting. I've never seen it; was her role really supporting in it?
That may have been a campaign to not go up against Sally Field in Norma Rae.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I stand correctly. I somehow thought she had only two Best Actress Oscars.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:15 am I stand correctly. I somehow thought she had only two Best Actress Oscars.
Another thing you do better than Trump.

In fairness, they would be the only actors with three best acting awards. Hepburn is the only one with four.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

I decided to watch Fruitvale Station last night instead of paying to watch Soul Man with you all. Damn, that movie was heavy, even though you pretty much knew what was going to happen. Ryan Coogler was a damn good filmmaker right from the jump.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Watched Judah and the Black Messiah...It was okay. Straight to HBO Max with no premium (i.e. Disney model) was the right commitment for this one.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:20 pm Watched Judah and the Black Messiah...It was okay. Straight to HBO Max with no premium (i.e. Disney model) was the right commitment for this one.
That's why I'm excited about HBO Max. There are a lot of those movies I'm missing today. OK movies are OK. I used to watch them all the time. Now it's such a time and money commitment now that I have kids, that there are so many movies that i would've seen and enjoyed, that have just fallen through the cracks. Plan on a movie marathon this weekend with Jebadiah and the Black Messaiah, The Little Things, and Nomadland.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

It sounds like Nomadland would be right up my alley - but I don't want to spend the time if it's really grim. (Even if it's really well-made grim.) So once y'all watch it, let me know.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:45 pm It sounds like Nomadland would be right up my alley - but I don't want to spend the time if it's really grim. (Even if it's really well-made grim.) So once y'all watch it, let me know.
Supposedly from the reviews, it's the very opposite of grim. (i.e. joyous and life-affirming)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:48 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:45 pm It sounds like Nomadland would be right up my alley - but I don't want to spend the time if it's really grim. (Even if it's really well-made grim.) So once y'all watch it, let me know.
Supposedly from the reviews, it's the very opposite of grim. (i.e. joyous and life-affirming)
Oh, I'm out then.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nomadland was as good as advertised. Best movie I’ve seen since The Florida Project which is a spiritual cousin. McDormand deserves that third Oscar.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:20 pm Nomadland was as good as advertised. Best movie I’ve seen since The Florida Project which is a spiritual cousin. McDormand deserves that third Oscar.
I thought it was well done, but it didn't have the impact that The Florida Project did.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:05 am
brian wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:20 pm Nomadland was as good as advertised. Best movie I’ve seen since The Florida Project which is a spiritual cousin. McDormand deserves that third Oscar.
I thought it was well done, but it didn't have the impact that The Florida Project did.
Yeah, I think the difference is the subject/actors in The Florida Project weren't professional actors and the supporting actors were and Nomadland was basically the exact opposite, but they're both the kinds of movies that will stay with you for a long time. Both movies showed a side of America that's almost never seen in the movies.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:48 pm
Watched it last night. It was powerful, raw and real. It wasn't grim, but was closer to grim than joyous, but it certainly was life affirming and had me questioning the benefits of living in one place for a long time vs. living in an RV and moving where ever I want on a moments notice. My wife and I have mused about selling the house and living in an RV when the kids move out. Our first apartment in NYC wasn't much bigger than an RV, so I think we could manage. And with remote work, we could do it before retiring. This had me seeing the upside and the downside, I like being part of a community and knowing people over a long time. It's nice going to the store and seeing the guy you coached a kindergarten tee-ball team with and catching up.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Also, I thought I read that a good chunk of the people in Nomadland were actually a part of that life, not professional actors.

Looking forward to seeing it. Haven't had a Hula subscription for many months, probably need to get back on it.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:48 am Also, I thought I read that a good chunk of the people in Nomadland were actually a part of that life, not professional actors.

Looking forward to seeing it. Haven't had a Hula subscription for many months, probably need to get back on it.
I think it's only available for 21 days from Friday. Or maybe that is what HBO is doing and not Hulu.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:01 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:48 am Also, I thought I read that a good chunk of the people in Nomadland were actually a part of that life, not professional actors.

I think it's only available for 21 days from Friday. Or maybe that is what HBO is doing and not Hulu.
Wouldn't swear to it, but should be available on Hulu "forever"* They bought Nomadland like they did Palm Springs and released both in theaters and on Hulu at the same time.

* - With the caveat there's no such thing as forever when you're dealing with streaming services.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

College friend just cut a deal with the screenwriter for John Wick and Amazon to develop Hellsing (Japanese action-horro manga).
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Coming 2 America....glad it was free in Amazon.

One Night In Miami...liked it. Would have enjoyed it more as a play on stage but solid acting and good tension. Also glad it was free on Amazon.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Coming 2 America is just OK but there’s some awesome cameos but maybe the best is by...
[+] spoiler
Dikembe Motumbo.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Greyhound was really good.

Kind of a throwback in that it was barely 90 minutes - but it worked well. Interesting in that there was no backstory on any of the characters (other than a minute or so of the main character), and ultimately, it didn't need any to tell the story.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nomadland...award winner...not sure why...just not doing it for me. Part way through and may not return to it.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

God bless Michael Bay. Someone's gotta make movies for dummies.

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

brian wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:07 am God bless Michael Bay. Someone's gotta make movies for dummies.

It was Bruckheimer. Not bay
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nearly half his weight in blow
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Michael Bay directed The Rock.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:37 pm Michael Bay directed The Rock.
The wife and I randomly started cracking up this morning on our walk thinking about that.

The Rock is an awesome action flick. First movie that I saw in the theatres solo and made me realize how awesome that is to do sometimes.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:59 am Since it's March, a reminder why Hoosiers sucks.
Awesome, now I don't feel like I missed something by never having seen Hoosiers. It was my college roommate's favorite movie. Pretty sure he had a VHS copy with him the 3 years I lived with him, and he watched it multiple times.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

brian wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:59 am Since it's March, a reminder why Hoosiers sucks.
Bah. It's not perfect, but it's a great movie. Maybe that guy would like a movie where everyone is good and nice, nobody is better than anyone else, and the teams are all diverse. He should stick to Disney movies.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I don't revere it. It's fine, but wasn't it acknowledging the racism pretty overtly? That's different than a movie that ends up being dated by how it handles race. I mean I guess the plucky white guys winning in the end over the big mean black guys, but it IS an underdog story after all.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I like it fine too, but it's OK to point out it is not without faults, some of which have grown over time (including the abusive behavior of Coach Dale).
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Funny how old sports media lionized abusive coaches. The Junction Boys about Bear Bryant, and pretty much everything about Vince Lombardi come to mind. And, anything about Bobby Knight that came before Season on the Brink.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yeah, Hoosiers came out in '86 while Knight was still at the top of his powers. I'm sure if they made it today, Coach Dale would be quirky instead of an asshole.
Totally Kafkaesque
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Interesting idea. Who would they pattern Coach Dale after today? Tony Bennett? Mark Few? Coach K?
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

duff wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:07 pm Interesting idea. Who would they pattern Coach Dale after today? Tony Bennett? Mark Few? Coach K?
Would probably be a coach busted for cheating. I’d say someone like Bruce Pearl.